Sisters of Grass by Theresa Kishkan

Sisters of Grass (2000)

by Theresa Kishkan

When we look back at our ancestors, we often look at their belongings but do we really consider their thoughts, wishes and emotions. Theresa Kishkan has those of us who read her book doing that in Sisters of Grass.
http://wp.me/p46Ewj-c7 ( )
  steven.buechler | Feb 5, 2014 |
Poetic novel set in the Kootenays. ( )
  moonbeam13 | Nov 20, 2007 |
In darkness I hear the stories come down from the Douglas Plateau like a summer herd of cattle, ranging for grass as they move into the valley.

In her vibrant first novel Sisters of Grass, Theresa Kishkan weaves a tapestry of the senses through the touchstones of a young woman’s life. Anna is preparing an exhibit of textiles reflecting life in central British Columbia a century ago. In a forgotten corner of a museum, she discovers a dusty cardboard box containing the century-old personal effects of a Nicola valley woman. Fascinated by the artifacts, she reconstructs the story of their owner, Margaret Stuart. Margaret, the daughter of a Native mother and a Scottish-American father, she tries to fit into both worlds. She’s taught photography by a visiting Columbia University anthropology student that she falls in love with. With strong, poetic language, Kishkan makes the past reverberate through the present in a richly patterned work celebrating the complexities and joys of life and the sustaining connections of family.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:01 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,444,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible