Unturned Stones by Scott Prussing

312,001,085 (5)None

No tags.

Unturned Stones
Author: Scott Prussing

Synopsis: Detective Robert Foster has been forced to resign from the San Diego Police Department for what his superiors call “insubordination.” Foster prefers to call it “thinking outside the box.” Either way, his days on the force are over—until he makes a surprising discovery. While surveying recent police incident reports provided to him by his ex-partner, he stumbles across three seemingly meaningless random assaults: a woman’s hand is amputated, a man’s leg is broken, and a transsexual is knocked unconscious and one of her breasts is burned off. As Foster looks more closely at the details, he recognizes something his former colleagues all missed—these attacks are SO different they must be related. “Planned randomness,” he labels it. The paradox intrigues him, until the violence escalates. When it begins moving closer and closer to home, Foster finds himself pulled into a stunning cat and mouse contest with a mysterious foe who seems to be every bit as clever and imaginative as Foster, if not more so!

Our Review [by Michelle L. Olson – LITERAL ADDICTION’s Pack Alpha]:
Having read and thoroughly enjoyed both Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy and straight up Contemporary Romance from Scott, I was more than willing to take a chance on his mystery/suspense, especially since it had been way too long since I enjoyed a good murder mystery.
The first thing I’ll say, is that even though I had read 3 books by Scott prior to Unturned Stones, reading this was like discovering a new favorite author all over again.
The first thing that gripped me was the depth of character. Without a lot of back story, Scott was able to weave a web of leading characters and their supporting cast that prompted an instant sense of bonding. You knew, without a doubt and immediately, the characters that you were going to love, and those that you were going to love to hate (except when there was a twist thrown in where you weren’t sure you should be loving a certain character, as they just might be the bad guy). :-)
The characters were very ‘real’ as well. Heroes with very human quirks and weaknesses that just served to make them more endearing, heroines with independence and strength of character that made their relationships with the hero all the more enjoyable, etc.
Now, the story… I’m a connoisseur of James Patterson, Jeffrey Deaver, Iris Johansen, and several other incredible mystery/suspense authors, and this was one of the most unique plotlines I have ever encountered! The thought that had to have gone into the intricacies of the mystery lending to the suspense and action was amazing. Add in the psychological overtones and the impact of human psyche on an already incredible plot, and you have a hands down winner. I think I changed my mind at least 4 times during the course of the story as to who I thought the bad guy would end up being, and when the last page was turned and the mystery was solved, I was still surprised, though I found myself thinking…”why didn’t I think of that!?”. That in itself is a testament to a fabulously written murder mystery. :-)
LITERAL ADDICTION gives Unturned Stones 5 Skulls, and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a gripping read chocked full of mystery, suspense, & intrigue, all wrapped up with a psychologically thrilling bow. Unturned Stones was in a word… fantastic! ( )
  LITERALADDICTION | Nov 27, 2011 |

Scott Prussing is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,590,915 books! | Top bar: Always visible