The Out-of-Sync Child: Recognizing and…

The Out-of-Sync Child: Recognizing and Coping with Sensory Processing… (1998)

by Carol Stock Kranowitz

Another Mom in music class recommended this book because my child has been sensitive to noise. Well bingo! This book was very enlightening. Now not only do I know what some of the issues are I also know some of her coping mechanisms... Spinning, standing on her head, jumping on the bed etc. knowing is half the battle. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
This book was a godsend. Given to me by a stranger who seemed to know something I didn't.
Helped me and my pediatrician diagnose my son.
  Flossie | Nov 30, 2009 |
A more medically oriented, less hands-on approach to sensory defensiveness, but more oriented towards unofficially diagnosing the level of the problem than are other books related. Encyclopedic References, and suggestions in dealing with medical professionals. ( )
  JuliDM | Jan 25, 2007 |
This book does what it is supposed to. I learned just enough from it to, I think, prevent one of our children from becoming a child with true sensory issues. Since we home schooled I was with our chlidren all the time and able to continually work on and evaluate such things. ( )
1 vote BoundTogetherForGood | Jan 25, 2007 |
Surely, you know a child who is oversensitive, clumsy, picky, fidgety, and out of sync.

The Out-of-Sync Child broke new ground by identifying Sensory Processing Disorder, a common but frequently misdiagnosed problem in which the central nervous system misinterprets messages from the senses. This newly revised edition features additional information from recent research on vision and hearing deficits, motor skill problems, nutrition and picky eaters, ADHA, autism, and other related disorders.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:15 -0400)

Provides an overview of Sensory Integration Dysfunction, discussing how it affects children's behavior; and features criteria and guidance for getting a diagnosis and treatment, as well as advice on how parents can deal with the problem at home.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,913,336 books! | Top bar: Always visible