The Lost Stones by Paul Rimmasch

The Lost Stones

by Paul Rimmasch

92950,433 (4)None

3.5/5
You know how long it took me to read this book? A very long time! Is it because it was bad? NO. The topic was simply so fascinating I kept spending a lot of time online researching it :D

That's the strong part of this book - it's unique topic, because let's face it: how often a blogger like me will read an archaeological conspiracy involving lost civilisations and their ancient technologies, The Book of Mormon and evil corporations covering up the research into alternative sources of energies? Not very often.

Although the theme of covering up the vital energy research and deliberate slowing down of progress is not new. Zeitgeist and The Age of Stupid certainly talked a lot about this topic.

Despite the great ideas, the book suffers from a lot of info dumps and weak characterisation, and unfortunately I could not connect with the main characters and believe in their attraction to each other. A lot of my questions about the characters themselves like John Byrd, for example, were not answered. Ammon was unevenly paced, making silly mistakes one moment and reaching insightful conclusions another moment. Sariah left me pretty puzzled as well.

Perhaps more time should have been given to the characters' backgrounds to make them feel more alive. There is more potential for a good movie akin to National Treasure in this book, than for an actual in debt novel. I'm sorry to say that I did not like it so much as I highly praised it for its very valuable footnotes. Does it make any sense? ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
This is a very interesting book. I was impressed with the amount of research that Paul Rimmasch underwent to delve into the lost and hidden world of LDS Book of Mormon relics.

Ammon is a student at BYU. An innocent question in a religious class leads him on an unexpected journey. The archaeologist, John, who is helping him find the answers to his question is taken as hostage in Mexico. He teems up with John's daughter to liberate him. From there they visit many interesting places and are chased by an assassin.

This is a quick and easy read. It is interesting. If you love books that put together clues to find hidden treasure, this book would have appeal. It is written from an LDS perspective, but doesn't preach. He documents his sources at the end of the book. ( )
  Bookworm_Lisa | Sep 11, 2012 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,938,762 books! | Top bar: Always visible