Making Piece: A Memoir of Love, Loss and Pie…

Making Piece: A Memoir of Love, Loss and Pie

by Beth M. Howard

Making Piece A memoir of love, loss and pie by Beth M. Howard
The power of pie!
This is a story of a woman who loses her husband that was just about to sign the divorce papers.
They've traveled and lived all over the world and he could never find enough time for her.
Love to learn new things: pie safe, had no idea that's what they were called.
Love scenery of Washington along Olympic Mountains western area where we first learn of how she made her first pie ever, the instructions are priceless!
Making pies to her is like what knitting does for me-calms, relaxes me.
Love the shortcuts to baking pies and learning how she perfects her technique.
She has returned to Portland, Oregon from Texas after he dies and tries to get a job making pies. Nobody is hiring.
Heartwretching to hear of her going through Marcus things to be donated, given away or to keep a few for her memories.
The RV Camper that he wanted to travel to every national park and camp at is a bucket list item for me as well.
She loaded up the camper and drove it to her friends in CA and met up with another friend who would return in 30 days so
they could start their venture: how pie helps me grieve with my loss. making pies on the road.
She starts by researching the other places around town that sell pie. They filmed and showed how pies are made at different
establishments and at others homes: baking parties learning something new at every stop.
Love the idea of the Spur Award and how she uses it not only with horses but other major aspects of her life.
Story of how she is coping with her grief is spot on, even with her thyroid problem.
Judging at the various events was eye opening in what they do to their creations and creatures to be assured a ribbon.
And recipes are included! ( )
  jbarr5 | Jul 25, 2013 |
Poignant pie Portland setting in part - the book hit the trifecta for me. I quite enjoyed it, even though I don't usually read memoirs and I don't really bake. I do however love pie and appreciate good writing. The author's German husband dies unexpectedly & relatively young while they are in the process of a divorce - but they still love each other, and it rocks her world. The book is basically a memoir about how she gets over her grief with the help of good friends and a journey in an RV sharing, giving away pie, and meeting other pie bakers across the country. She used to live with her husband in Portland (among other places, she's quite a traveler) and returns there in this book for a period of time - now I must visit the Pacific Pie Company she mentions. :) She comes across as a very appealing person in her writing, I could totally sit down and chat and share a pie with her I think. You can read the first page or two of the book at her site: http://bethmhoward.com/books/pie-memoir/. ( )
  amanderson | Mar 31, 2013 |
It took me over two months to get through this one, and that was after meeting the author at ALA. I get that the book was about loss, but it just went on and on and on about it. I liked where it ended, I just wish it would have ended 100 pages sooner. ( )
  wwrawson | Mar 31, 2013 |
I wanted to love this book, but the author/narrator was self-centered, impatient, bitchy and annoying; and her life really wasn't interesting enough for a full-length memoir. Her husband died; she made pies; she judged pies in contests; she had a one-night stand; she went back to Iowa to visit her hometown; she moved into the American Gothic house (featured in the painting by Grant Wood). The end. Maybe this material would have been more interesting if Howard were a better writer; the language is flat, the pacing slow, and there is no character growth or transformation. For a memoir about food that is compelling and not me-me-me, check out Waiting by Debra Ginsberg. ( )
  bearette24 | May 5, 2012 |
Reviewed at http://www.mandikayereads.com/archives/1415 (4/6/12)

When I first saw this book on NetGalley, I knew I had to read it. Food. Memoir. Yes, please! And I was not disappointed.

Beth's story is like pie. Specifically, strawberry-rhubarb.

"It's bitter. It's messy. It's got some sweetness, too. Sometimes the ingredients get added in the wrong order, but it has substance, it will warm your insides and, even though it isn't perfect, it still turns out okay in the end."

I was crying within the first thirty pages. Beth writes herself so well that I felt as if her words were my own. When her heart broke, mine broke right with her.

When she began to rebuild her life, my heart rejoiced with hers.

"All I had to do was look around the room to see that you can lose your loved ones and still have fun, and not live like your heart is caged behind bars."

Beth's journey was full of pain, sorrow, humor, kindness, and pie. Lots and lots of pie. I am inspired to bake pie - and lucky for me, there are recipes in the back of the book! I'm going to start with the Banana Cream Pie and then make the French Silk Pie (and according to Beth, this recipe is better than sex!).

Bottom line - this is a memoir everyone should read. ( )
  mandikaye | Apr 5, 2012 |

Relates the sudden death of the author's husband and her decision to pack up the RV he left behind and embark on a cross-country journey, during which she used America's quintessential comfort food and the simple act of giving to overcome tragedy.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,058,757 books! | Top bar: Always visible