The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom by…

The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom

by Christopher Healy

Other authors: Todd Harris (Illustrator)

Series: The League of Princes (1)

My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Dec 19, 2016 |
A fairytale turned topsy-turvey and a lot of fun.

This was a well written tale, well edited and ending satisfactorily yet leaving that fairytale world open for more stories.

I certainly hope to revisit this world in other tales... ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
The basic premise of The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom answers the question: "What would happen if the Princes Charming from four different fairy tales (Cinderella, Rapunzel, Snow White, and Sleeping Beauty) all had major issues and teamed up to win fame and glory?" The answer is "HILARITY AND EPICOSITY AND A LOT OF TRYING AND FAILING." The princesses are all in the story too, but all the princes and princesses are VERY different from what we know. For example, Briar Rose is a spoiled, mean brat, while Cinderella's prince is terrified of leaving his castle. The conflict involves the witch from Rapunzel's fairy tale, but honestly I don't want to give too much away, because this is a story that evolves organically and you learn everything in the order you're supposed to know it. AND IT'S FABULOUS.

The characters, who they are, how they act, how they grow, and most especially how they interact with each other, was my absolute favorite bit about this novel. The four princes all have different flaws and strengths, and (of course) it takes them a while to work together. Ella (Cinderella) is fierce but kind of clueless because she's been under house arrest for so long. The dwarves (they're experts at everything), the trolls, the dragon, the giant, the witch, the bandits...EVERYONE IS SO GREAT. Also Lila, one of the prince's younger sister who is probably the most clear-headed character. Prince Duncan was probably my favorite. He is possibly crazy, possibly brilliant, and a ton of fun.

I don't know if I've made it clear yet, but this novel is hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing out loud (granted, it's pretty easy to make me laugh (BUT STILL)). The story has a lot of twists and turns, and feels a lot like a journey where you really don't know what is going to happen next because there's a sort of calculated randomness going on that is impossible to predict but seems inevitable once it happens. Good times.

This novel uses an omniscient narrator. In general, I dislike omniscient narrators, especially in a children's book because they have a tendency to talk down to the reader. I only occasionally minded it here. It was always clear whose head we were in, and there were many different ways it was used for humor. Also, with so many characters, including five (or six) main characters, I felt like the narration was as decent a choice as any. I also loved the chapter titles, which were always "Prince Charming [Does Something]." They were often funny and gave a hint as to the action in the chapter, without really giving it away because there are four Princes Charming to choose from.

I gave The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom five out five stars for being an absolutely jolly read. I will read the sequel, The Hero's Guide to Storming the Castle, so hard.

(review also posted on my blog, bahnree.blogspot.com) ( )
  Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |

(review also posted on my blog, bahnree.blogspot.com) ( )
  Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |
The Hero’s Guide to Saving Your Kingdom explains what happens to Prince Charming after he meets the princess from fairy tales like Rapunzel, Cinderella, Snow White and Sleeping Beauty. For example, what happens when Prince Charming discovers the princess is a bossy brat? Or what if the princess doesn’t even like her prince because she thinks he is boring? Well this book answers all those questions in an entertaining way. This book is filled with lots of silly fun yet it’s still clever. It has everything a traditional fairy tale has: trolls, an evil witch, dragons, giants and more! This book is a long read but the large amount of fun characters make this a good choice to read aloud.

I would recommend this book for those in 4 grade and above who like silly humor and action. -RR ( )
  WhitneyYPL | Feb 9, 2016 |

Christopher Healyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Harris, ToddIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pinchot, BronsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Dashiell and Bryn, my heroes
Prince Charming is afraid of old ladies.

Prince Liam. Prince Frederic. Prince Duncan. Prince Gustav. You've never heard of them, have you? These are the prince who saved Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Snow White, and Rapunzel, respectively, and yet, thanks to those lousy bards who wrote the tales, you likely know them only as "Prince Charming." But all of this is about to change. Rejected by their princesses and cast out of their castles, Liam, Frederic, Duncan, and Gustav stumble upon an evil plot that could endanger each of their kingdoms. Now it's up to them to triumph over their various shortcomings, take on trolls, bandits, dragons, witches, and other assorted terrors, and become the heroes no one ever thought they could be. (ARC)

Prince Liam. Prince Frederic. Prince Duncan. Prince Gustav. You've never heard of them, have you? These are the princes who saved Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Snow White, and Rapunzel, respectively, and yet, thanks to those lousy bards who wrote the tales, you likely know them only as Prince Charming. But all of this is about to change. Rejected by their princesses and cast out of their castles, Liam, Frederic, Duncan, and Gustav stumble upon an evil plot that could endanger each of their kingdoms. Now it's up to them to triumph over their various shortcomings, take on trolls, bandits, dragons, witches, and other assorted terrors, and become the heroes no one ever thought they could be.

Debut author Christopher Healy takes us on a journey with four imperfect princes and their four improbable princesses, all of whom are trying to become perfect heroes—a fast-paced, funny, and fresh introduction to a world where everything, even our classic fairy tales, is not at all what it seems.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:57 -0400)

"The four princes erroneously dubbed Prince Charming and rudely marginalized in their respective fairy tales form an unlikely team when a witch threatens the whole kingdom"--

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,920,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible