Prime Obsession (The Prime Chronicles, #1)…

Prime Obsession (The Prime Chronicles, #1)

by Monette Michaels

Paranormal Romance. The Prime race join the alliance and Melina comes to the aid of Wulf and the ambassadors when they come under attack. Fated mates. OK
  C4RO | Jun 2, 2015 |
I’ve been really into sci-fi romance lately and Prime Obsession by Monette Michaels is a pretty awesome read if you’re interested in this subgenre. It’s based on the fated mates trope, which I don’t always love, but it really worked for me this time around, because Melina and Wulf probably wouldn’t have met if it wasn’t for Wulf’s family seeing her “birthmark”, which the Prime know to be a gemate sign. Her optimal biological match, Wulf, has an identical gemat sign on his body, and the lovely cover folks at Liquid Silver Books have included this detail on the cover, which is pretty cool. You can’t really see Melina’s unless you look closely because it’s above her right hip bone and in the shadows but Wulf’s is pretty obvious since it’s on his chest.

The best part of this book is definitely Melina and Wulf’s relationship. They’re both such alpha personalities and it’s a lot of fun watching them find the balance between being in charge and sharing leadership. Wulf has a lot more trouble with this since he is ultra alpha, in all his growly glory, but Melina also has trouble sitting back and letting Wulf lead at times. They’re both such great soldiers and leaders and this gives their developing relationship a lot of heat.

There is also a ton of heat between the sheets, so this book definitely isn’t for folks who are looking for a more cerebral romance. Sex is a big part of their relationship and Michaels isn’t shy about writing it, or writing about their uber lusty feelings.

I also loved the plotting in Prime Obsession. The book isn’t just about Melina and Wulf coming together. It’s also about them working to uncover a plot to stop the Prime from joining the Alliance and diluting the “pure” bloodlines. There are a lot of layers to this plot and it takes Melina and Wulf on a journey with a lot of twists and turns, which I really appreciated. And it gives the reader an opportunity to see how they function as a team, developing their battle-mate bond and building trust in each other.

My one criticism of Prime Obsession would be that I had trouble keeping all of Wulf’s family’s names straight in the later part of the novel. When there were just a few names to remember towards the start, and everyone was getting decent page time, it was relatively straightforward but we meet a lot more of Wulf’s family in the second half of Prime Obsession and I was a little overwhelmed.

If you’re looking for a romance with spaceships, aliens, and action, you should definitely check out Prime Obsession. The second book in The Prime Chronicles is also available and I’m going to be purchasing it from an e-retailer just as soon as I finish this post!

http://ireadgood.wordpress.com ( )
  jthorburn | Feb 16, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,425,293 books! | Top bar: Always visible