No title

Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Home by Toni Morrison

Far Bright Star by Robert Olmstead (Limelite)
    Limelite: Another war; another man; another exposure to atrocity; another wandering in body and spirit to find oneself, one's fraternal kin, and the meaning of home. Only vastly more brutal, beautiful and poetic.
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (Louve_de_mer)
    Louve_de_mer: Pour les problèmes de ségrégation raciale aux États-Unis.
    Bright's Passage by Josh Ritter (Esther1987)

English (44)  French (4)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (50)
Audio ( )
  KathyGilbert | Jan 29, 2016 |
A small book...in a good way. Less ambitious, perhaps, than other Morrison novels; more readily accessible; less "magical realism" elements. But comes with the punch of a short story. Easy, expert brush strokes of characterization, setting, and the slow circling of a powerful memory until the reader ultimately arrives back where it all started (but knowing the place for the first time.) ( )
  bibleblaster | Jan 23, 2016 |
Most of Toni Morrison's books make me think they are boring or don't really have a solid structure and then suddenly it all comes together. Kurt Vonnegut's books do that and I love it!(not saying their writing is alike otherwise!) ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 22, 2016 |
Somehow, this is my first work by Toni Morrison.

Wow.

It's a brief work, but no less powerful for its length. It is, in short, a story about people finding home - and discovering themselves. Discovering what they value and where the value in their lives lies. In some ways, it is also about the damage we do to ourselves and each other, either out of love or out of ignorance. The ending was as "happy" as I could've hoped for its weighty subject matter.

There are some very in-your-face and painful moments of racism, or the effects of racism, integrated into the narrative. None of it exaggerated for effect, all of it realistic for the history of the institution in America. None of it comes across as gratuitous or unnecessary. All of it is powerful and a reminder of the narratives that exist across the spectrum of people in the world.

Overall, just a powerful work with a lot to say about identity and how it is made, where and how we are shaped or choose to be shaped.

I can't say enough about the impact this work had on me as I read it. ( )
  jennaelf | Jan 5, 2016 |
This was my first book my Toni Morrison and it defenitly got me interested in more. Not only did I enjoy the language (German translation though) but also for me, growing up in Germany, this gave me an insight in the intersection of a whole bunch of topics concerning the US. It is the connection of the racism experienced in the US, the trauma after the Korean war but also about lives of African-American people in the 80s. ( )
  remasuri | Jan 4, 2016 |
Like a Toni Morrison primer, Home is a compression of many of the Nobel laureate’s perennial themes of memory, love and loss, uprooting and homecoming. Morrison’s characters struggle to overcome disturbing inner rhythms, caught between trying to exist freely in the world and being captivated by internal demons....

Home does not have the grand, sweeping narrative of Morrison’s best fiction. The story’s many brutal acts... are placed before the reader with so little fanfare as to detract from their power.

The book is also much more linguistically subdued than most of her work, and her grand themes of redemption, homecoming, and self-ownership do not work best on a small scale. Still, slice it anywhere and you will find striking moments, dialogue that sings with life, and the mythic American landscape and its people surviving within it.
added by zhejw | editThe Telegraph, Lucy Daniel (May 24, 2012)

“Home” is unusual, not only in that it features a male protagonist but that it’s so fiercely focused on the problem of manhood. The novel opens with a childhood memory of horses that “stood like men.” And as Money makes his way across the country to rescue his sister, he’s haunted by what it means to be a man. “Who am I without her,” he wonders, “that underfed girl with the sad, waiting eyes?” Are acts of violence essentially masculine, or are they an abdication of manliness? Is it possible, the novel finally asks, to consider the manhood implicit in sacrifice, in laying down one’s life?

What Money eventually does to help his sister and to quiet his demons is just as surprising and quietly profound as everything else in this novel. Despite all the old horrors that Morrison faces in these pages with weary recognition, “Home” is a daringly hopeful story about the possibility of healing — or at least surviving in a shadow of peace.
added by zhejw | editWashington Post, Ron Charles (Apr 30, 2012)

[I]f Morrison had finished writing the novel she so carefully began, it might have been one of her best in years. But at well under 200 pages with wide margins, Home barely begins before it ends....

Home should be relentless, unsparing, but Morrison relents halfway through, and spares everyone – most of all herself.
added by zhejw | editThe Guardian, Sarah Churchwell (Apr 27, 2012)

Morrison, Toniprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hoekmeijer, NicoletteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whose house is this?
Whose night keeps out the light
In here?
Say, who owns this house?
It's not mine.
I dreamed another, sweeter, brighter
With a view of lakes crossed in painted boats,
Of fields wide as arms open for me.
This house is strange.
Its shadows lie.
Say, tell me, why does its lock fit my key?
Slade
They rose up like men.

Ce petit roman envoûtant est une sorte de pierre de Rosette de l' œvre de Toni Morrison . Il contient en essence tous les thèmes qui ont toujours alimenté son écriture . Home est empreint d'une petite musique feutrée semblable à celle d'un quatuor , l'accord parfait entre pur naturalisme et fable .

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307594165, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, May 2012: It takes only a page or two of Home, Toni Morrison’s finely wrought 10th novel, before you find yourself relaxing into the hands of a master. Nobody owns a sentence like Ms. Morrison. Completely at ease in her craft, she spins slender, lyrical prose around a Korean War vet named Frank Money, who retreats into violent memories to escape his fractured present; his sister, Cee, abandoned by her husband and abused by a medical experiment; and the racial, economic, and emotional oppression fostered by their era and situation. In the understated act of saving Cee--he walks calmly into a house and removes her--Frank brings both of them full circle. Nursed by the local women who watched her grow up, Cee emerges robust and newly aware and, as Frank puts it, “mended.” If you pay attention, Home may quietly do the same for you. --Mia Lipman

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:34 -0400)

"The story of a Korean war veteran on a quest to save his younger sister"--

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,083,033 books! | Top bar: Always visible