The Promise (The Coven) by Apryl Baker

The Promise (The Coven) (edition 2011)

by Apryl Baker

Member:Bookswithbite
Title:The Promise (The Coven)
Authors:Apryl Baker
Info:Black Matrix Publishing LLC (2011), Kindle Edition

The Promise (The Coven Series - Book 1) by Apryl Baker

B (1) coven (1) fiction (1) FoodFic (1) mystery (2) paranormal (1) romance (2) supernatural (1) to-read (1) witches (1) YA (1)

I'm always a little hesitant with witch stories. They're kind of like faeries for me, just not quite intriguing enough. The Promise, however, definitely managed to grip me. Baker has an interesting writing style that feels very natural and her characters really pop. She gives each of them very distinct voices.

Cassie, of CJ as she's also called, is spunky and not the sit back and wait kind of heroine. She is determined to figure out what is going on in the town and how her sister's death is related to it. She does make some silly decisions, but they come across as understandable because she's acting like the teenager she is. The romance with Ethan is spicy and there are some steamy scenes with the two, which only help show how Cassie is completely in over her head with the romance and the effects it has on her reasoning skills.

The mystery at the heart of The Promise is slow to build, and Baker does an amazing job of revealing clues along the way at a nice pace. It kept me wondering every page, thinking something is too obvious and then not at all, so much so that when I finally got to the end I was still surprised by who is doing what and why. ( )
  AngelaFristoe | Aug 3, 2012 |
  sroywork | Dec 21, 2011 |
Witches. Magic. Curses. Three things I love to read in a book. Not only did the plot line ring me in right away, but he kept me thoroughly entertained.

I like that immediately the reader is hit by lost. The reader feels the deep emotions of a lost loved one followed by trailing of journal entries, mysterious dreams, etc. I like how all of these elements lead the reader to dark past full of secrets and a curse. The way the plot line unfolded, kept me happy. Reading every twist and turn of the book left me delving farther into the realm of the unknown curse.

The love interest isn't really as presentable as I wanted it to be. I would have love to read more into these characters and see their love flourish. On the upside, I did like how the book concentrated more on the real story on the book. The impending curse and how to stop it. Their was lots of actions and lots of brought up past hurt. The main character Cassie really grows as she searches the past of the coven to find out what when wrong.

This is a strong, fast paced book that you will want to read. Full of excitement and adventure, The Promise is a great teen witch novel. Dark and very enticing, this is a promise of a great series. ( )
  Bookswithbite | Nov 28, 2011 |

Apryl Baker is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,915,371 books! | Top bar: Always visible