The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth…

The Witch of Blackbird Pond (1958)

by Elizabeth George Speare

It's dawned on me that there are probably some "classic" children's books that I haven't yet read, and while poring through the lists I stumbled upon this one which indeed, somehow, I missed.

Loved it! It had everything I could possibly want in a book. Compelling plot, not too dark, not too light, great protagonist, especially well-drawn secondary characters (there are many, many of them, and they each had a distinctive personality--it was such a pleasure to read this book, when so many novels these days seem to differentiate their characters by name and quirk rather than actually render a rounded description).

I was feeling high 4 stars through most of it, but burst into tears at the end so it gets kicked up to 5. Nicely done, book.

(Note: 5 stars = amazing, wonderful, 4 = very good book, 3 = decent read, 2 = disappointing, 1 = awful, just awful. I'm fairly good at picking for myself so end up with a lot of 4s). ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Sep 19, 2018 |
I think that there is secretly a whole stash of fantastic middle grade books out there that I missed while I was obsessively re-reading Harry Potter and anything Tamora Pierce. Like The Outsiders? That's a lot of peoples' favorite book, and I totally missed it.

The Witch of Blackbird Pond is just one such book. I thought it was fantastic. Kit was great - I thought her introspection was very insightful. The variety of minor characters was excellent was well. We had people of all ages and backgrounds weighing into the story, some of whom surprised me. At the base of it, this novel is meant to be a romance, but it didn't feel like that. It felt more like a bildungsroman... a coming of age. Kit's year in Connecticut shows her a bit of the world outside her childhood in Barbados, and helps her discover herself.

What I particular enjoyed about this book - and what took me aback - is how so many parts of this novel can be metaphoric to the troubles in our country right now. Fear and prejudice has lead people to do abhorrent things as of late, and Kit's observation and thoughts on the violent rashness of the people around her felt all too familiar.

But you have to like Kit. For her bravery and her honesty, you have to like her.

The novel is quick to read, well-written, and charming in its own ways. It's easy to get lost in the world, but you can find your way out again rightly enough. I think this book would be an excellent one to teach in school, and fits alongside stories like Hatchet and The Secret Life of Bees. ( )
  Morteana | Jul 3, 2018 |
When 16 year-old Kit Tyler leaves her tropical, island home in Barbados to journey to her Aunt and Uncle’s house in Connecticut, she has no idea what perils await her. Caught between her desire to remain true to herself and also be accepted by her new family, Kit faces daily internal conflict. As hard as she tries, she can’t embrace the harsh Puritan ways of the community. When she befriends a kind, old women who has been branded as a witch, she knows she is putting her own reputation at risk. Only Nat, the ship captain’s son, knows of the challenges she faces. When Kit, herself, is accused of being a witch who will step in to save her? ( )
  valorrmac | May 15, 2018 |
This was a really great book! This was my first time reading a book by this author. Speare did an excellent job at keeping the reader's attention! I thoroughly enjoyed the descriptive historical details of this book. The story was well written and captivating! I had not read a book for pure enjoyment for a long time, but this one made me reluctant to put it down!

I read this with the intent of proof reading it for my son's history class. As I said the historical narrative is excellent, however, I believe it would bore my 11 yr. old son. I would say it is much better suited for a girl's reading. The book is written from a young woman's perspective about her life... dresses, suitors, and keeping a home. There is some romance in the book, though clean and not the focus of the book.

NOTE: There is no witchcraft or sorcery in this book. It takes place during the period of Puritans & Quakers in New England when someone who was a little different was quickly labeled as a witch. ( )
  RosaJB | May 12, 2018 |
I read this as a kid. I remember liking it a lot, but I don't remember what it was about. I should read it again. ( )
  Lit_Cat | Dec 9, 2017 |

Elizabeth George Speareprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hurt, Mary BethNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moser, BarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
On a morning in mid-April, 1687, the brigantine Dolphin left the open sea, sailed briskly across the Sound to the wide mouth of the Connecticut River and into Saybrook harbor.
"Still dazed, Hannah accepted the miracle and the prospect of a journey like a docile child. Then after two shaky steps she turned obstinate. She would not set foot in the boat without her cat."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440995779, Mass Market Paperback)

Forced to leave her sunny Caribbean home for the bleak Connecticut Colony, Kit Tyler is filled with trepidation. As they sail up the river to Kit's new home, the teasing and moodiness of a young sailor named Nat doesn't help. Still, her unsinkable spirit soon bobs back up. What this spirited teenager doesn't count on, however, is how her aunt and uncle's stern Puritan community will view her. In the colonies of 1687, a girl who swims, wears silk and satin gowns, and talks back to her elders is not only headstrong, she is in grave danger of being regarded as a witch. When Kit befriends an old Quaker woman known as the Witch of Blackbird Pond, it is more than the ascetics can take: soon Kit is defending her life. Who can she count on as she confronts these angry and suspicious townspeople?

A thoroughly exciting and rewarding Newbery Medal winner and ALA Notable Children's Book, Elizabeth George Speare's The Witch of Blackbird Pond brings this frightening period of witch hysteria to life. Readers will wonder at the power of the mob mentality, and the need for communities in desperate times--even current times--to find a scapegoat. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:12 -0400)

In 1687, Kit Tyler moves from the Caribbean to Connecticut Colony. Her friendship for a strange, old woman leads to her trial for witchcraft.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,812,358 books! | Top bar: Always visible