The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth…

The Witch of Blackbird Pond (original 1958; edition 1993)

by Elizabeth George Speare (Author)

In 1687 in Connecticut, Kit Tyler, feeling out of place in the Puritan household of her aunt, befriends an old woman considered a witch by the community and suddenly finds herself standing trial for witchcraft.
Member:TalecArashi
Title:The Witch of Blackbird Pond
Authors:Elizabeth George Speare (Author)
Info:Laurel Leaf (1978), 224 pages
Collections:Your library, Location: H-dale, To read

The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare (1958)

The Witch of Blackbird Pond. There was a girl named Kit. She had to escape the debt of her grandpa that passed away. Kit went on a boat called the Dolphin. She met the son of Captan, Nat he was always reading. Kit went to live with her uncle,aunt, and cousins. She had to work all the time and go to church. Church where she still had work there. Her cousin disliked Kit because she always got all the attention . A young man by the name of William started to like Kit. This made her cousin Judith angry at Kit. Kit started to like a man named John he would come over to the house and start reading. William started talking about plans for his house but Kit wasn’t that interested. She knew William would make her work. Judith loved listening to the plans for the house. But Kit found it boring. One day her cousin Mercy asked Kit would she like to teach school in the house. She told her you'll get paid for it. Kit said yes. Kit thought just reading the Bible to them was long and boring. So she's decided to do a play. She started picking kids and then she begin the play. Kit realised she picked the characters too fast. She tried to grab the children but it was too late. The Governor said what was the meaning of this he told all the kids to go home . He said that Kit was fired. He said he will decide Mercy’s fate later. Tears started going down Mercy’s cheeks. Kit couldn't bare to see her cry so she ran out the door and ran into the fields. She laid down on the ground and started crying. There was an old woman people called a witch she lived near Blackbird Pond she invited Kit to her house. Kit hesitated to go Hannah reassured her. Kit got blueberry pie and she got to pet a cat. Kit told Hannah her problems and it gave her the courage to confront the Governor . He let Mercy and Kit have their jobs back. Mercy was so happy. One day Kit was going to Hannah's house and she saw Nat talking to Hannah. Kit said I didn’t know you and Hannah know each other. Nat explained how they knew each other. One day Kit saw a student outside of her classroom. She found out that her mother wouldn’t allow her to go to school. Kit decided to teach her how to read and write at Hannah’s house. Kit and Judith got sick but Kit got better. found out Mercy’s was sick a week later Mercy’s got even worse kit Uncle was refusing to call the doctor but he released how sick Mercy was he was about to go out and get a doctor. The doctor was standing right outside the door his crore was warm onines on the chest. Marcy got better then a wedding was happening then they found out John was dead marcy and judith. A tale finger was in front of door it was john and he confessed his love marcy later in the week Marcy and judith get married . kit realized she was in love with nat then she a ship kit went to the and there was nat he got his own ship and name it the witch after kit . Nat when to ask kit uncle permission for something. ( )
  Dmer.ELA5 | Oct 23, 2019 |
When Kit Tyler comes to colonial Connecticut, she is unprepared for her uncle's home and his beliefs. Kit is accustomed to the easy life of a slave-manned plantation so her fanatic Puritan uncle is more than an cultural shock to her. I liked Kit’s courage and convictions. She makes friends with Hannah…the old woman whose Quaker affiliations have branded her as a witch. When a young child who she has been secretly helping is suddenly stricken with a strange sickness she finds her safety to be seriously threatened. Even her ability to swim and float cause mistrust among the townspeople who see her “magic” as a threat. I found the attitude of the people unnerving and slightly scary. It made me extremely thankful that I didn’t live in that time...but I thoroughly enjoyed reading about it. Anyone that loves history or even has a slight interest will find this little story engaging. ( )
  Carol420 | Oct 9, 2019 |
This historical fiction novel set in 1687 tells the tale of the headstrong Kit Tyler, who sailed from her home in Barbados, to live with relatives whom she has never met in the Colony of Connecticut. After her arrival, she is completely blindsided by their lifestyles in a town populated by rigid Puritans and drenched in political and religious conflict-- of certain subject matter that is beyond her education and sixteen year old comprehension. Barbados was a burst of color, hot sun, and genuine happiness and memories. The Connecticut of the 1680's is inhabited by religious extremists, who look upon Kit's fine, colorful clothes, her outgoing behaviors, blurted opinions, creative ideas and unusual activities (i.e., swimming and reading) as witch-like. To make matters worse, Kit discovers a friendship with a kindred spirit who is rumored to be just that, a witch. In truth, the widow Hannah Tupper, was a Quaker, was banished from Massachusetts and lived alone out at Blackbird Pond. This precious and secret friendship is discovered just as a desperate illness blanketed the town and Kit quickly finds herself defending her and her friends' lives from the hostile colonists. Author, Elizabeth George Speare described Kits thoughts, feelings and desires in such longing and colorful language that it was an instant favorite of mine when I was younger. Hysteria, fear, suspicion, disapproval, didn't hold a candle to Kit's headstrong and spirited manner. This Newbery Medal-winning novel taught me to stay true to my self, to adventure, to rebel when I need to defend my honor against people who misunderstand me and attempt to suppress or oppress me. ( )
  Jodi_2020 | Jul 18, 2019 |
This was just okay for me until near the end. I enjoyed it, it was just a bit obvious and predictable. It also took me a while to get attached to Kit at all, but I did, and the ending was quite lovely (if utterly predicable as I said). A short read I would recommend to any teen girl. Very sweet. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
Age Range: 12 and up
Grade Level: 7 and up
Kit Tyler leaves her home in Barbados to travel alone across the ocean to colonial Connecticut in 1687. She has no reason to stay in Barbados because her grandfather was dead and buried. With nowhere else to go she undertakes the long boat trip on her own assured that she will be welcome with open arms by her aunt's family.
Her arrival wasn't as expected. Kit's uninhibited childhood in Barbados has left the sixteen-year-old wildly unprepared for life among her Puritan relatives. Her cousins covet her beautiful clothes even while her uncle looks at the bright colors and luxurious fabrics of her dresses with scorn. Kit barely recognizes her aunt, struggling to see any hint of her own mother in her aunt's weather worn face.

When she discovers a beautiful meadow near a pond, Kit finds some much needed solitude and a break in the monotonous drudgery of life with her relatives. Kit also finds an unexpected friend in Hannah Tupper, an old woman who is shunned reviled by the community for her Quaker beliefs and rumors that claim Hannah is a witch.

As she learns more about Hannah and her life by the pond Kit will have to decide what, if anything, she is willing to give up for a chance to belong in The Witch of Blackbird Pond ( )
  lewisl6 | May 12, 2019 |

Elizabeth George Speareprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hurt, Mary BethNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moser, BarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
On a morning in mid-April, 1687, the brigantine Dolphin left the open sea, sailed briskly across the Sound to the wide mouth of the Connecticut River and into Saybrook harbor.
"Still dazed, Hannah accepted the miracle and the prospect of a journey like a docile child. Then after two shaky steps she turned obstinate. She would not set foot in the boat without her cat."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,182,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible