The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth…

The Witch of Blackbird Pond (original 1958; edition 1978)

by Elizabeth Speare

Member:meldridge
Title:The Witch of Blackbird Pond
Authors:Elizabeth Speare
Info:Laurel Leaf Library/ Dell Publishing Co Inc (1978), Paperback
Rating:***
Tags:2012

The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare (1958)

I would recommend this book as a read aloud for a fourth grade class because it will be a great book to reinforce the students understanding of what Colonial America was like and how people reacted to different people. I would read this book aloud when I start teaching my students about the different colonies, Virginia and Massachusetts. I would focus on explaining what the witch trials were and the reasons people were believing this was happening. I would then have the students use their investigation skills to identify the reasons the characters in the book would chose to believe that Kit was a witch and compare that to the reasons that those in Salem used to justify their actions. I could also use this book as a teaching moment to explain that we should never judge others simply because they were different then us. I would recommend this book as an independent read for fifth graders because it is not an extremely challenging book that would leave the students confused. I would assign this book in reading circles and have each group map out Kit's journey from Barbados to Connecticut. This activity will help students understand how to read a map, use the keys on the map, to use miles to explain how far of a distance she traveled, and compare and contrast the different environment she lived in. I would also have the student image they were traveling from an island to one of the American Colonies and explain the different experiences they would be experiencing. This would be a great lesson for student to practice different forms of writing as well as place themselves in another shoes. I believe I could use many different lessons with this book. ( )
  Jbrochu | Mar 13, 2017 |
This book would go well with lesson on character development in 5th or 6th grade. Kit is a girl who leaves a rich life style in the islands to come and live with her aunt and uncle in a place that is cloudy and rainy. Kit starts off rough and continues to struggle and decide who she wants to be even if it means going against the rules and expectations of the community around her. Another use would be to relate with a social studies lesson on religious societies such as the puritan community. This would be a good book to read aloud with a 6th grade class.
  JMudd | Mar 12, 2017 |
This book could be used as a group text in a 5th-grade class. They would enjoy the story of the difficulty of life back in those days and the intriguing plot. It would be good as a group text because it would help to discuss words they didn't know together and we could discuss different historical aspects of the story throughout.
  TimGordon | Feb 25, 2017 |
This would be a great book as an interactive group read for 5th or 6th graders because this is around the time that they will be introduced to the Salem Witch Trials. I chose these grades because students in younger grades would not be able to read this chapter book or understand the language/ phrases used. I would use this book to teach about this historical time period and have multiple groups who would be assigned a chapter to read with each other and then present to the class. I would use this book to have students compare and contrast two or more characters such as Katherine and Hannah or Quakers and Puritans. Students will make a compare and contrast diagram and determine what exactly the Quakers believed and what the Puritans believed. Students will learn how to distinguish between them when we are discussing certain historical people of the time. By using this book, students will be able to understand why certain people were outcasted from society, and also see that not all people viewed them poorly. ( )
  kbellot | Feb 23, 2017 |
This was a book we read in the 7th grade. I don't remember if I've ever actually read it -- I never read as a youth. It was quite good!! And the sweetness of the romances make me tear up ... :'-)

Adrianne ( )
  Adrianne_p | Jan 16, 2017 |

Elizabeth George Speareprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hurt, Mary BethNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moser, BarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
On a morning in mid-April, 1687, the brigantine Dolphin left the open sea, sailed briskly across the Sound to the wide mouth of the Connecticut River and into Saybrook harbor.
"Still dazed, Hannah accepted the miracle and the prospect of a journey like a docile child. Then after two shaky steps she turned obstinate. She would not set foot in the boat without her cat."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440995779, Mass Market Paperback)

Forced to leave her sunny Caribbean home for the bleak Connecticut Colony, Kit Tyler is filled with trepidation. As they sail up the river to Kit's new home, the teasing and moodiness of a young sailor named Nat doesn't help. Still, her unsinkable spirit soon bobs back up. What this spirited teenager doesn't count on, however, is how her aunt and uncle's stern Puritan community will view her. In the colonies of 1687, a girl who swims, wears silk and satin gowns, and talks back to her elders is not only headstrong, she is in grave danger of being regarded as a witch. When Kit befriends an old Quaker woman known as the Witch of Blackbird Pond, it is more than the ascetics can take: soon Kit is defending her life. Who can she count on as she confronts these angry and suspicious townspeople?

A thoroughly exciting and rewarding Newbery Medal winner and ALA Notable Children's Book, Elizabeth George Speare's The Witch of Blackbird Pond brings this frightening period of witch hysteria to life. Readers will wonder at the power of the mob mentality, and the need for communities in desperate times--even current times--to find a scapegoat. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:12 -0400)

In 1687, Kit Tyler moves from the Caribbean to Connecticut Colony. Her friendship for a strange, old woman leads to her trial for witchcraft.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,188,852 books! | Top bar: Always visible