The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth…

The Witch of Blackbird Pond (original 1958; edition 1978)

by Elizabeth Speare

Member:meldridge
Title:The Witch of Blackbird Pond
Authors:Elizabeth Speare
Info:Laurel Leaf Library/ Dell Publishing Co Inc (1978), Paperback
Rating:***
Tags:2012

The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare (1958)

This was a book we read in the 7th grade. I don't remember if I've ever actually read it -- I never read as a youth. It was quite good!! And the sweetness of the romances make me tear up ... :'-)

Adrianne ( )
  Adrianne_p | Jan 16, 2017 |
Oh my, what a wonderful book that has stood through the ages. It was written in 1958 I believe. I knew the book was set in New England in the 1600's but didn't realize what a wonderful love story it was set amid the witch trials. Love for family, love for the elderly and love relationsips between female and male. "Watching" the politics, religious beliefs and the Puritan way of life unfold was amazing. A book for all. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
It was boring. ( )
  Brinlie.Jill.Searle | Nov 22, 2016 |
I really liked this book because even though it was set in a different time period, the characters were so well developed and relatable. Most kids can relate to moving to a new place and struggling to fit in and form friendships. In the first chapter, the main character, Kit, jumps into the ocean to save a young girl's doll she dropped overboard because no one was helping her. This part of the book describes Kit as being compassionate, impulsive, headstrong, and able to laugh at herself once she gets back onto the ship. I thought it was a great description of her character and held true throughout the rest of the story. I also liked this book because the writing was engaging and was well paced. I thought the book always had something exciting or interesting going on with no boring parts of the story. I especially thought the book was well organized toward the end when the main character was on trial for being a witch. I thought it was maybe a tricky concept or idea for a 5th grader, however it read easily and was easy to understand what was going on. I think that among the many themes in this novel, the main idea is about learning to have respect and an open mind for people's differences whether it be religious or simply just their way of life. ( )
  shax1 | Oct 6, 2016 |
I loved this book the first time I read it, and all the times I've reread it have not dimmed my opinion of it. ( )
  NicoleSch | Sep 17, 2016 |

Elizabeth George Speareprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hurt, Mary BethNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moser, BarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
On a morning in mid-April, 1687, the brigantine Dolphin left the open sea, sailed briskly across the Sound to the wide mouth of the Connecticut River and into Saybrook harbor.
"Still dazed, Hannah accepted the miracle and the prospect of a journey like a docile child. Then after two shaky steps she turned obstinate. She would not set foot in the boat without her cat."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440995779, Mass Market Paperback)

Forced to leave her sunny Caribbean home for the bleak Connecticut Colony, Kit Tyler is filled with trepidation. As they sail up the river to Kit's new home, the teasing and moodiness of a young sailor named Nat doesn't help. Still, her unsinkable spirit soon bobs back up. What this spirited teenager doesn't count on, however, is how her aunt and uncle's stern Puritan community will view her. In the colonies of 1687, a girl who swims, wears silk and satin gowns, and talks back to her elders is not only headstrong, she is in grave danger of being regarded as a witch. When Kit befriends an old Quaker woman known as the Witch of Blackbird Pond, it is more than the ascetics can take: soon Kit is defending her life. Who can she count on as she confronts these angry and suspicious townspeople?

A thoroughly exciting and rewarding Newbery Medal winner and ALA Notable Children's Book, Elizabeth George Speare's The Witch of Blackbird Pond brings this frightening period of witch hysteria to life. Readers will wonder at the power of the mob mentality, and the need for communities in desperate times--even current times--to find a scapegoat. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:12 -0400)

In 1687, Kit Tyler moves from the Caribbean to Connecticut Colony. Her friendship for a strange, old woman leads to her trial for witchcraft.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,428,090 books! | Top bar: Always visible