The Man Who Quit Money by Mark Sundeen

The Man Who Quit Money

by Mark Sundeen

Peace Pilgrim: Her Life and Work in Her Own Words by Peace Pilgrim (RiversideReader)
    RiversideReader: Both Daniel Suelo and Peace Pilgrim chose alternate lifestyles without money. They found joy and a profound release from the pressures of society. Both joyfully embraced their own spiritualism.
    The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit by Michael Finkel (RiversideReader)
    Money and the Meaning of Life by Jacob Needleman (bertilak)
    The Creature from Jekyll Island: A Second Look at the Federal Reserve by G. Edward Griffin (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Griffin's book features in Sundeen's tale about Suelo.
    Forgetting Ourselves on Purpose: Vocation and the Ethics of Ambition by Brian J. Mahan (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Brian Mahan and his book Forgetting Ourselves on Purpose appear in Sundeen's book about Suelo.
    The Moneyless Man: A Year of Freeconomic Living by Mark Boyle (Anonymous user)

The parts detailing Daniel's ideological journey, his travels in Alaska and other countries, and his lifestyle in Moab were interesting and enjoyable, but I wish the book contained a bit more of those and not such an overabundance of quotations from other religious/philosophical sources. The quotations as chapter introductions were appropriate and well considered, but the multitude of additional ones, especially in the final wrap-up ended up being a bit much considering the book's 260-page length. Definitely a conversation-starting book to stick in your backpack during your next camping/hiking/cycling adventure vacation week in Canyonlands though. ( )
  dele2451 | Jun 9, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book. I thought I was reading a book all about the experiences of a man who has quit money but it's more 1/3 that, 1/3 religion and 1/3 the problems with corporate America. Each part is essential to Suelo's story. I think this book delivers the realities of consumerism and America's path to the average person. It is an eye-opening read for sure. I would have given it 5 stars if there was more personal account of living without money and less of his journey of getting to that point. Still very enjoyable. (less) ( )
  cabracrazy18 | Jan 3, 2016 |
The fascinating story of a man who for the past thirteen years has managed to live self-sufficiently and quite contentedly without money and with just a few used castoff possessions he scavenged. Most people would probably not enjoy the lifestyle he lives but his story will challenge you to think about your own choices. How much of what you have is beyond what you need? What emotional and spiritual gains would you get from divesting yourself of material possessions? What is our complicity in sustaining a consumer economy that thrives on excess, exploitation, obsolescence, and waste? Those are just a few of the provocative questions this book will make you ponder. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
5 star subject with a 3 star author. ( )
1 vote swampygirl | Dec 9, 2013 |
The Man Who Quit Money by Mark Sundeen is a book that I heard about when listening on day to NPR. Mark was being interviewed about his nonfiction book about Daniel Suelo, a man who abandoned all of his money in 2000 and has been living off the land ever since.

Daniel Suelo embarked on a spiritual, religious, and ethical journey trying to discover who he was and who he wanted to be. His story is incredibly interesting. Daniel makes his home in caves and finds the majority of his food from foraging in the wild and through dumpster diving.

Before you “ew” his dumpster treats, get this: most of the food he finds is fully packaged, from grocery store dumpsters, with that day’s expiration dates on them.

Okay, even still, I would NOT want to eat ANY dumpster food, no matter how sealed, but it could be way worse, right?

For the full review, visit Love at First Book ( )
  LoveAtFirstBook | Oct 29, 2013 |
Do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in the barns, and yet your Heavenly Father feeds them ... Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?-- Jesus

Let us live happily, then, though we call nothing our own! We shall be like the bright gods, feeding on happiness!
-- Buddha
Home is anywhere I'm living, if its sleeping on some vacant bench in City Square
-- Merle Haggard
For Cedar,
who gave me the kernels anyway
In the first year of the twenty-first century, a man standing by a highway in the middle of America pulled from his pocket his life savings -- thirty dollars -- laid it inside a phone booth, and walked away.
I'm employed by the universe. Since everywhere I go is the universe, I am always secure. Life has flourished for billions of years like this. I never knew such security before I gave up money. Wealth is what we are dependent upon for security. My wealth never leaves me. Do you think Bill Gates is more secure than I?
When I was a kid I thought I'd be a missionary to the heathens, but now I think maybe it's okay to be a missionary, but to the Christians, because they're the ones who need it, because they don't believe their own religion.
Then I found my liberation. I resigned myself to hell. Yes. I decided I'd rather be in hell with Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Vivekananda, Ramakrishna, Mother Teresa, Buddha, Kabir, Rumi, Peace Pilgrim and, yes, with Jesus Himself, than to be in heaven with the torturous fundamentalist mentality that thinks itself right and everybody else wrong. I decided I'd rather be in hell for love than to be in heaven for bigotry.

Traces the path and philosophy of Daniel Suelo, who left his entire life savings of thirty dollars in a phone booth in 2000 and has lived a happy, fulfilled life in the caves of Utah without earning or spending money since that time.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,076,675 books! | Top bar: Always visible