Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake by Anna…

Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Anna Quindlen

Member:kpodlesak
Title:Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake
Authors:Anna Quindlen
Info:Random House (2012), Edition: 1St Edition, Hardcover, 208 pages
Rating:*****

Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake by Anna Quindlen (2012)

2012 (10) 2013 (3) aging (18) ARC (5) audiobook (3) biography (15) book club (2) book group (2) Early Reviewers (3) essays (11) favorites (2) feminism (7) fiction (5) friendship (11) humor (6) Kindle (6) life (6) marriage (8) memoir (50) motherhood (11) non-fiction (35) parenting (3) popreading (2) read (6) read in 2012 (9) relationships (2) to-read (18) unread (3) women (14) work (2)

I love anything by Anna Quindlen. ( )
  bogopea | Jul 18, 2014 |
Love Anna Quindlen's writing, and this one did not disappoint. I was not crazy about the chapter on marriage; she has been fortunate to have a long, happy marriage, and I found some of what she had to say sort of smug somehow; for many years I believe shared her opinions, until one day I did not anymore. Still, the rest is really good. Her views on childrearing (I have none, but I understood her POV), retirement, validity, religion and faith, even the early death of her mother I enjoyed a great deal. Basically, the book is about getting older and how we all cope with it; who we started as, who we become, and who we hope to be someday. Really enjoyable read. ( )
  Dmtcer | Jun 3, 2014 |
  Dmtcer | Jun 3, 2014 |
First book to read by this author - a gift from Barbara Scott - can't wait to read her new novel that is coming out soon. Will recommend this one for book club. ( )
  MargaretdeBuhr | Jan 8, 2014 |
At age 60, Anna Quindlen has already had plenty of candles and birthday cake, but she wants more. A lot more. Her own mother died in her early 40s, when Anna was just nineteen. That early loss has made her grateful for every additional year she gets that her mother was denied.

Anna's gratitude is the common ingredient that ties together these ruminations of an aging feminist baby boomer. She seems amazed, even somewhat astonished, at how fortunate she has been. She has reached an age where she can look back and recognize the combination of ambition and serendipity that allowed her to "have it all" in terms of marriage, motherhood, career, and friendship.

These essays will of course have the most appeal for those in Quindlen's age range whose life paths have somewhat paralleled hers. But if you've read her work before, you know she always shares observations and wisdom that are universally relevant. I like her spunk. I like her honesty. Most of all, I like the way she always manages to say the things I feel but cannot put into words. I recommend the book for all connoisseurs of life. ( )
  TheJeanette | Oct 18, 2013 |
Suddenly sixty, Quindlen finds herself looking back on her life. She's not so much wondering how she got where she is but, rather, considering how the choices she made and the chances she took along the way have prepared her for the road ahead. What even to call this next stage in a woman's life? Not elderly, certainly, yet definitely no longer young, this middle-aged morass can be hard to navigate. Friendships fade, fashions flummox, the body wimps out, and the mind has a mind of its own. One can either fight it or face it. In her own unmistakably reasonable way, Quindlen manages to do both, with grace and agility, wisdom and wit, sending out comforting affirmations while ardently confronting preconceived stereotypes and societal demands.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist (Mar 4, 2013)

It's odd when I think of the arc of my life, from child to young woman to aging adult.

In this irresistible memoir, the #1 "New York Times" bestselling author writes about her life and the lives of women today, looking back and ahead--and celebrating it all--as she considers marriage, girlfriends, our mothers, faith, loss, all that stuff in our closets, and more.… (more)

290 wanted2 pay2 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake by Anna Quindlen was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,503,249 books! | Top bar: Always visible