So Pretty It Hurts by Kate White

So Pretty It Hurts

by Kate White

I thought this was a great mystery novel. I read this book in two days and would have been done sooner, but I work an eight-hour day too. The plethora of suspects in the death of a super model kept me guessing all the way to the end. I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't have to wade through a sea of sex to read this book. However, there were some sexy moments that actually added to the drama of the story. Even though there was some question as to the cause of death, one had to suspect that it was not from natural causes. The characters in this novel were so interesting that more could have been written about each one. I had to stay up late to finish this one. Congratulations Kate White on a wonderful novel. ( )
  SilverShrew | Feb 20, 2014 |
So Pretty It Hurts had all of the ingredients of a good mystery in the making but unfortunately I found it to be lacking. Part of this may be my fault as I'm jumping in to the middle of a series (which I absolutely hate) but I didn't realize when I picked it up that it was part of a series. The story begins when Bailey Weggins goes on a weekend away with a close friend of hers to a house in the country. Bailey finds herself closed in with a bunch of strangers including a famous model named Devin Barr while a snowstorm brews outside. When Devin is found dead the real mystery begins...

Like I said previously, this book had all of the ingredients for a really good thriller or mystery. An isolated house in the country, a snowstorm that cuts off contact with the rest of the world, a dead body....what more could you ask for? For whatever reasons though, this book just didn't quite work for me. One of my main problems that I had was that I never connected with Bailey. I'm not sure that if I had read the previous books in this series if it would be an issue but I just never quite figured Bailey out. Her actions and need to "figure out" the mystery just rang a bit false. And I just didn't connect which took away from my enjoyment of the book. On a more positive note, I really enjoyed the creepy setting that the author created with this book. I loved the tense atmosphere during the time of the snowstorm and after Devin's body had been found. The author has a knack for creating really great settings as I felt similarly when I read The Sixes by her. I just wish that I had been more interested in the mystery and characters in this book.

Overall, I found that this just wasn't the book that I had been expecting. I didn't hate it by any means but found it to only be an okay read. If you are thinking about trying this author, I would recommend The Sixes instead which I found to be a much better read. As for me, I think that I'll go back and start with book one in this series at some point. Because I'm hoping that it will help with my lack of connection to Bailey and because the author has such a knack for great settings. Recommended with reservations (unless you are already a fan of this series...then I'm sure that you will enjoy it more than I did).

Bottom Line: A mystery that could have been so much more...

Disclosure: I was sent a copy of this book from the publisher. The thoughts are my own. ( )
  samantha.1020 | Oct 1, 2012 |
Maybe it's been too long between Bailey Weggins stories (the last one was out in 2007), but I was a little disappointed in this one. Bailey and a co-worker head for a house party weekend at a remote (albeit fancy) cabin in upstate New York. When a supermodel ends up dead, Bailey latches on to the thought it must be murder, even though events point toward an eating disorder fatality. The Bailey I remember had a great relationship with next door neighbor Landon, who spends his few scenes with a head cold in this story. Her mother was a hoot, and is limited to a couple phone calls this time. And her relationship with Beau, supposedly of so much concern, began so long ago that I don't remember her angst over his trip to Turkey. To be honest, White's last two stand alone novels were much better, and the early Bailey books a treat. ( )
  ethel55 | Apr 13, 2012 |
So Pretty It Hurts in my opinion mostly falls under the cozy mystery heading. Bailey Weggins our protagonist is working for a gossip magazine as the crime reporter. She’s rather independent and impetuous not to mention she has a reporter's curiosity, which can get her into trouble.

Bailey is invited to a party in upstate New York by her workmate and since her boyfriend is in Arizona she accepts (partly as a way to get back on him for leaving in the first place). Most of the guests are centered around a famous fashion model, Devon, her friends and acquaintances. They end up getting stuck in at the house because of a snow storm. The party turns south when Devon died in the middle of the night. Bailey suspects possible foul play.

After they are allowed to go home Bailey can’t let it go, she believes that someone gave the already unhealthy Devon a push over the edge. Her suspicions grow dramatically when Devon’s mom claims Bailey tried to blackmail her, which can be death to a journalist career should it not be disproven.

Overall I think this was a pretty good book. It was easy to read, enough puzzles to keep it interesting and Bailey was a pretty decent character intelligent and caring but sometimes curiosity overrode her better sense. I enjoyed the book and I don’t think one needs to read the previous books in the series before this one. It's worth the time if you like cozies. ( )
  readafew | Mar 20, 2012 |
Why read: Requested from Amazon Vine

What impressed me: I love this series. In So Pretty It Hurts, Bailey Weggins continues to be a serious crime journalist surrounded by celebrity gossip. This time she's snowed in with a variety of notable people when a supermodel is murdered. Of course, everyone had a motive, most of which being scandalously juicy. While the dirty laundry is aired, Bailey sifts through the revealed secrets to find the person behind the murder. Bailey is wonderfully funny and I loved the balance of humor, mayhem and scandal.

What disappointed me: Bailey is dating a new guy in So Pretty It Hurts and I'm just not loving them together. She's acting insecure and very much out of character when it comes to him. And he's coming off as more of a distraction to the rest of the story than a vital part of it.

Recommended: Definitely. This series has great mysteries with a slight chick lit feel that isn't overwhelming.

Continue series: Absolutely. ( )
  TequilaReader | Mar 20, 2012 |

At long last, the New York Times bestselling author of The Sixes and the editor-in-chief of Cosmopolitan brings back the sassy crime writer turned amateur sleuth Bailey Weggins in an addictive story involving the mysterious death of a supermodel.

Bailey Weggins, the Manhattan-based thirtysomething true-crime journalist, is in a good place. She's enjoying her regular gig at Buzz, a leading celebrity magazine, getting freelance work, and hoping her first book will garner attention. In the love department, she's finally back in the game with her recently-turned-exclusive boyfriend, Beau Regan. When Beau heads out of town one early December weekend, Bailey accepts an invitation from her office friend Jessie to a music mogul's house in the country, hoping for a fun, relaxing getaway. But a weird tension settles over the houseguests—a glamorous crowd that includes the famously thin supermodel Devon Barr. An impending snowstorm only adds to the unease. So when Devon's lifeless body is found in her bed, Bailey immediately suspects foul play: she can't stop thinking of the day before, when a frightened Devon shivered in the woods and pleaded, "I have to get out of here. . . . It's not safe for me." When Bailey starts to nose around, she finds herself a moving target—running closer to the truth and straight into danger. With her trademark irreverent wit, Bailey is a heroine who keeps us laughing while on the edge of our seats. New and longtime fans alike will devour this eagerly awaited mystery.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:20 -0400)

Sassy writer turned amateur sleuth Bailey Weggins investigates the death of a supermodel.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,077,366 books! | Top bar: Always visible