The Gamble by Kristen Ashley

I liked this romantic murder mystery. I was given this book for free and voluntarily chose to review it. I've given this a 4.2* rating.This story pulled me in pretty fast but at 629 pages it took me days to read. Because of large amounts of sexual content and foul language, this is not for the under 18 readers. Which brings me to what I didn't like about this. If you do not like detailed sexual content or foul language, this book is not for you because this book is full of it. I tend to skip over a lot of it and hopefully don't miss something important in the story. I did like the story content and it had a real nice ending. I didn't really care a lot for the bossy hero, but that's just my preference. ( )
  NancyLuebke | Jul 23, 2017 |
I just wish that towards the end it wouldn't be so mushy but would have kept the more edgy (as far as a romance go) environment and sharp dialogs. Less growling "I love you, do as I say" and "I love you too you controlling man, I'll do what I want" again and again and again.
But it was a good story, very engaging, with characters I liked and great sex.

Very enjoyable. ( )
  veredi | Mar 25, 2017 |
I'm finally catching up on the Mountain men. I always love KA's books. This is another of her sexy alpha males. This book also has some scary drama mystery going on. This book has lots of great points. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
The Gamble
4.5 Stars

In desperate need of distance from her inattentive fiancé, Nina Sheridan flies halfway across the world to rethink her engagement in the beautiful Rocky Mountains of Colorado. Unfortunately, Nina’s vacation in the cabin of her dreams is cut short when the owner, Holden ‘Max’ Maxwell, refuses her entry and she ends up in a ditch cold and sick. Nursing a broken heart, Max has no intention of allowing Nina into his life, but finds himself inexplicably drawn to her nonetheless. However, just as these two wounded souls take the first steps toward love and trust, secrets and lies emerge to threaten their fragile romance.

Kristen Ashley is one of those writers that a reader either loves to distraction or hates with every fiber of their being. The reasons for these divergent attitudes are usually the same, however. Obnoxious and domineering alpha male heroes; Mary Sue type heroines who are snarky yet sweet and a writing style that either appeals or repels.

One would think given my aversion to excessive repetition, insensitive heroes and nitwit heroines, that these books would be a huge turn-off. Interestingly enough, the opposite is true as Ashley consistently manages to captivate me with her charming characters and steamy romance. Nina and Max’s story is no exception.

Like every other Ashley hero, Max is seriously sexy and his initially cantankerous nature rapidly gives way to reveal a man who cares deeply about the people in his life. Nina is simply adorable with her cute English accent and quirky mannerisms. While there are moments when their flaws and insecurities grate on the nerves, it all makes sense in the long run and only adds to the charm of the story.

The minor mystery plot surrounding the death of one of Max’s neighbors is an additional bonus and it has some compelling twists and turns that fulfill my need for tension and suspense.

In sum, Ashley’s writing may not be for everyone, but I’m looking forward to getting to her entire backlist. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
Despite the crazy grammar, I really liked the story. The grammar was atrocious though... Like, truly horrid. I really wish she would hire a/get a better copy editor, because that would put this book in a different category for me. Instead of being pulled out of the story constantly by the weird sentence structure and grammar, I could have stayed in the moment the author was creating and connected with the H/H more. The reason I was ok with most of it was because I could see where the author was going with how she wrote... Very casual, conversation I would expect to hear people actually say, which is not always is rarely grammatically correct. Just needed a heavy editing hand to chop some stuff out, rearrange other things, and in general tighten the story framework up.

Example of the bad grammar:
" I had found, through the backdoor leading from the utility room that Max shouted through the bathroom door was my way to find him when I finally 'fucking got ready', that Max's house butted up to the gradual incline covered in pine and aspen but, around the side and up, there was a barn buried in the trees."

Excessive use of the "then" and cutting people off... "Max -", "Nina - ", I - ", "But - ", etc, etc, etc... etc... Also descriptives in threes.

The only sensible thing Niles says is pointing out a really alpha-hole objectification of the heroine: "I lost it and you found it and now it is yours?". Thank you for pointing out the ridiculousness of that statement (made by the HERO). Don't think it was meant the way I took it, but I'm so glad that SOMEONE said it.

GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |

Nina Sheridan's on a timeout adventure in the Colorado mountains. She needs distance from her clueless fiance, distance to decide whether she wants to spend the rest of her life with a man who doesn't care enough to learn how she takes her coffee.

Arriving in a blinding snowstorm at the A-Frame she rented for two weeks, she comes face to face with the most amazing man she's ever seen.

Minutes later, when he kicks her out of his house, she goes head to head with him.

Beyond angry because she's flown half a world away to start her timeout adventure, not to mention her sinuses hurt, she heads back down the mountain and ends up in a ditch. Unable to extricate herself, she gives up, hopes for rescue and falls asleep in the backseat.

The next morning she wakes up in the amazing man's bed and she's sick as a dog.

Holden Maxwell spends days nursing her back to health and then he spends the next two weeks trying to convince her to take her Colorado adventure further, in other words, make it permanent and take a gamble on him.

Nina has a tough time fighting her attraction to Max, especially when it seems all Max's friends, her mother, stepdad and the whole town of Gnaw Bone want them together. Not to mention, both she and Max get embroiled in the murder of Max's ex-friend and the town of Gnaw Bone's most detested resident - a man everyone has motive to kill, especially Max.

Nina Sheridan desperately needs a timeout vacation. With a fiance who can't even remember how she takes her coffee, Nina wants some distance to rethink her engagement. Flying halfway around the world from England to a mountain town in Colorado should do the trick. But when she finds a gorgeous man at her rental cabin, Nina's cold, lonely adventure suddenly heats up. The owner of the house, Holden "Max" Maxwell is surprised by the beautiful woman who turns up at his door. But when Nina becomes ill, Max spends days nursing her back to health. A private man with a broken heart, Max finds himself drawn to the strong-willed woman. Soon it becomes impossible for Nina and Max to deny their growing attraction to one another. Yet even as these two wounded lovebirds think about taking a chance on a relationship, a dangerous secret from Max's past emerges-and threatens to end their love for good.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,937,429 books! | Top bar: Always visible