The gamble by Kristen Ashley

The gamble (edition 2017)

by Kristen Ashley

Member:ZaraD.Garcia-Alvarez
Title:The gamble
Authors:Kristen Ashley
Info:New York, NY : Forever, 2017.
Tags:to-read

The Gamble (Colorado Mountain, #1) by Kristen Ashley

The Gamble was my first Kristen Ashley book. It was probably not a good idea to start with the audio version narrated by Emma Taylor. It has been my experience that listening to audio takes at least twice as long as reading, which makes a lengthy book like this seem never-ending. I wasn't crazy about the vocal characterizations overall, but I thought the heroine's voice was fine.
As to the writing itself, there are many good reviews already that mention the insane amount of description of seemingly insignificant details about the heroine's apparel or home decor, etc. This really should have been pared down considerably. Be prepared for many expressions that seem a little off such as the heroine's melting stomach or her stomach that dipped. Initially, the hero just came off as incredibly crass and ill mannered and I failed to see how that made him a 'mountain man'. But he was very protective of the heroine, family and friends and he had some very sweet moments. The heroine was a mix of very strong, confident lady and insecure pushover. Both suffered from Romancelandia lack of communication syndrome.
Despite all of its issues, overall, I liked the book and it had a great epilogue that made me cry. I would definitely try another book by this author. 3/5 stars ( )
  mary23nm | Feb 27, 2019 |
I've, mostly, given up on Ashley as her writing style/voice more often than not, constantly draws me in with promise but never delivers. This was a Kindle Freebie and Random Number Generator picked it out of the abyss.

This story:

An Ashley hero calling the heroine "babe" and/or "baby"? NEVER. (She has an English accent so he also calls her Duchess)

"Executed a perfect 3 point turn". Why did I read this sentence over and over again? Was Ashley a driver instructor in a former life??

Sandwiched between the "babe" calling, three-point turning, and drama ending was some honest to god deep emotional issues (domestic violence, rape, disabilities) that get broached but never fully developed. Ashley's ability to incorporate these issues and emotions are what tempt me to keep reading her (the promise I was talking about) but ugh, no development. These issues almost start to seem sensationalized and click-bait reading because Ashley doesn't develop the issues and characters.

The ending, my god, the ending. Drama after sensationalized drama. The repeat situations our heroine found herself in got to be tedious and one of the villains ended up being portrayed cartoonish.

I can see why Ashley is popular and I can see why she in not popular. All I know is, my kingdom for an Ashley hero to speak in full coherent sentences. ( )
  WhiskeyintheJar | Feb 14, 2019 |
Easy Read. Basically a love story with lots of other events thrown all in. Got too busy and pretty fantastical for all the events to unfold within a week or so.. The male lead was lovely at the mid point of the book but became too controlling and he started to annoy me. The female lead character became annoying too. That saying... was a quick read and I didn't hate it! ( )
  booklovers2 | Sep 27, 2018 |
  Janicemo | Aug 19, 2018 |
The Gamble
4.5 Stars

In desperate need of distance from her inattentive fiancé, Nina Sheridan flies halfway across the world to rethink her engagement in the beautiful Rocky Mountains of Colorado. Unfortunately, Nina’s vacation in the cabin of her dreams is cut short when the owner, Holden ‘Max’ Maxwell, refuses her entry and she ends up in a ditch cold and sick. Nursing a broken heart, Max has no intention of allowing Nina into his life, but finds himself inexplicably drawn to her nonetheless. However, just as these two wounded souls take the first steps toward love and trust, secrets and lies emerge to threaten their fragile romance.

Kristen Ashley is one of those writers that a reader either loves to distraction or hates with every fiber of their being. The reasons for these divergent attitudes are usually the same, however. Obnoxious and domineering alpha male heroes; Mary Sue type heroines who are snarky yet sweet and a writing style that either appeals or repels.

One would think given my aversion to excessive repetition, insensitive heroes and nitwit heroines, that these books would be a huge turn-off. Interestingly enough, the opposite is true as Ashley consistently manages to captivate me with her charming characters and steamy romance. Nina and Max’s story is no exception.

Like every other Ashley hero, Max is seriously sexy and his initially cantankerous nature rapidly gives way to reveal a man who cares deeply about the people in his life. Nina is simply adorable with her cute English accent and quirky mannerisms. While there are moments when their flaws and insecurities grate on the nerves, it all makes sense in the long run and only adds to the charm of the story.

The minor mystery plot surrounding the death of one of Max’s neighbors is an additional bonus and it has some compelling twists and turns that fulfill my need for tension and suspense.

In sum, Ashley’s writing may not be for everyone, but I’m looking forward to getting to her entire backlist. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |

Ashley, Kristenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Taylor, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Nina Sheridan's on a timeout adventure in the Colorado mountains. She needs distance from her clueless fiance, distance to decide whether she wants to spend the rest of her life with a man who doesn't care enough to learn how she takes her coffee.

Arriving in a blinding snowstorm at the A-Frame she rented for two weeks, she comes face to face with the most amazing man she's ever seen.

Minutes later, when he kicks her out of his house, she goes head to head with him.

Beyond angry because she's flown half a world away to start her timeout adventure, not to mention her sinuses hurt, she heads back down the mountain and ends up in a ditch. Unable to extricate herself, she gives up, hopes for rescue and falls asleep in the backseat.

The next morning she wakes up in the amazing man's bed and she's sick as a dog.

Holden Maxwell spends days nursing her back to health and then he spends the next two weeks trying to convince her to take her Colorado adventure further, in other words, make it permanent and take a gamble on him.

Nina has a tough time fighting her attraction to Max, especially when it seems all Max's friends, her mother, stepdad and the whole town of Gnaw Bone want them together. Not to mention, both she and Max get embroiled in the murder of Max's ex-friend and the town of Gnaw Bone's most detested resident - a man everyone has motive to kill, especially Max.

Nina Sheridan desperately needs a timeout vacation. With a fiancé who can't even remember how she takes her coffee, Nina wants some distance to rethink her engagement. Flying halfway around the world from England to a mountain town in Colorado should do the trick. But when she finds a gorgeous man at her rental cabin, Nina's cold, lonely adventure suddenly heats up. The owner of the house, Holden "Max" Maxwell is surprised by the beautiful woman who turns up at his door. But when Nina becomes ill, Max spends days nursing her back to health. A private man with a broken heart, Max finds himself drawn to the strong-willed woman. Soon it becomes impossible for Nina and Max to deny their growing attraction to one another. Yet even as these two wounded lovebirds think about taking a chance on a relationship, a dangerous secret from Max's past emerges-and threatens to end their love for good.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,862,700 books! | Top bar: Always visible