Titanic Love Stories: The True Stories of 13…

Titanic Love Stories: The True Stories of 13 Honeymoon Couples Who Sailed… (2011)

by Gill Paul

I have always loved the Titanic ever since I first heard Leo claim to be the king of the world. When I first discovered the story, I spent months scavenging my bookstores and libraries for any book based upon it or offered a different perspective. The Titanic disaster is one of the things I know most about in this world. Strangely enough, this particular book had been on my Chapters wishlist for ages. I had no intention of buying it, and had I not found it at a second-hand bookstore where I was looking for my fourth book to get my fifth book free, I probably would never have read it. For those who are Titanic aficionados like myself, it really doesn't offer anything new. It tells the stories of the (more than I expected) honeymooning couples on board the ship. Most are in first class, some are in second, and a few are in third. The trouble with Titanic stories about the third class is that hardly any information remains about them. Chances are, both would have died. They wouldn't have left much behind. Their stories can, at best, only be speculated. First class on the other hand, will have archives about the lives of the rich and famous. But, if you like to read stories about hope and love, I suppose these will get at you. It really is heartbreaking when realising how many couples and families, more than just in this book, were separated that night forever. Any way you look at this, you will probably end up sad but if the Titanic interests you at all, it's worth the read anyhow. ( )
  erinla | Oct 31, 2017 |
This is such a great read. Not only were the stories told in this book really moving, but I also learnt a lot about the Titanic which I didn't know before.
It was laid out really nicely, and told the stories of these Titanic passengers really well. I enjoyed it a lot.

Full review on my blog: www.thebooktower.webs.com ( )
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |
I have been fascinated with the story of the Titanic ever since I was young and watched A Night to Remember with my grandma on the late show. It’s easy to understand why Grandma was obsessed; she was only 9 years old when she made the journey to the US just 13 months before the Titanic sank! With the 100th anniversary of the disaster this past April, many books based on the tragedy have been published this year.

This one caught my eye for several reasons. First, and most obvious, it is about the Titanic! Also, the cover is beautiful! And while I knew the story of the Strauss’ and how she refused to leave her husband, I was not aware of the honeymooning couples on board. Obviously, there are some unhappy endings here. But what I liked about this book is how it put faces on the staticstics. Yes, we knew many, many people died that night, but now, at least these 13 couples are more than just a statistic to me. There is a sketch of each couple; how they met and why they were traveling, and their plans for their futures. For those that survived, there is a bit of information on their life after Titanic and how the disaster affected them And there are lots of pictures; of the couples, of the ship, and of menus, tickets, and other artifacts relating to the voyage.

This is a very quick read, and doesn’t cover a lot of the details you will read in other books about the Titanic. That is fine, because if you don’t know the story, you can read it elsewhere. But this book is worth reading for anyone obsessed with the Titanic and wants a little more ‘personal’ perspective on the tragedy.

My Rating: ★★★1/2 3-1/2 Stars

Why did you choose this book? I am obsessed with the Titanic
When did you read this book? June 2012
Who should read this book? anyone who picks up anything related to the Titanic
Source: borrowed from a friend ( )
  Time2Read2 | Mar 30, 2013 |
To Karel
Introduction: The late 19th and 20th centuries were ambitious times for the steamship industry.
It's hard to credit the scandal it caused when John Jacob Astor divorced his first wife, Ava, in 1909, and then two years later announced that he was remarrying.

The sinking of the RMS Titantic was a terrible tragedy for all the 1517 people who died - but the stories of the 12 brides and grooms who joined the ship to celebrate their honeymoons are especially poignant.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,329,639 books! | Top bar: Always visible