The Murders in the Rue Morgue and other…

The Murders in the Rue Morgue and other stories

by Edgar Allan Poe

I had a lot of trouble getting used to Poe's style. I think for me he's a denser writer. I'd get drawn in, then the slightest disturbance or noise would draw me out. I had this happen over and over, get a few good pages, get pulled out. I don't normally have that problem, so I wound up only reading this at night, right before bed while my husband was catching up on his shows. Once I took that approach I found myself actually enjoying it.
My favorite story by far was The Gold-Bug, but I love anything with that sort of cipher, puzzle aspect to it. I honestly skipped The Tell-Tale Heart - I've read it a hundred times in school. I did reread The Cask of Amontillado though, I've always enjoyed that one.
Once past the hump of figuring out how to read it I did like this one. I don't think Poe is anywhere near my favorite classic writer, or my favorite mystery writer but I would say if you enjoyed him in school definitely try him again. ( )
  Adilinaria | Aug 11, 2017 |
Although it is reasonable in itself, it is primarily interesting as a historical record. Supposedly the first detective story in modern literature, it comes across as a proto Sherlock Holmes: the clever, logical amateur sleuth, the loyal but dim sidekick, the bumbling policeman, the amazing resolution. Having said that, it is lacking in depth and subtlety. it also doesn't carry much of the gothic macabre that I was expecting from Poe. 20 June 2017. ( )
  alanca | Jun 27, 2017 |
A mother and daughter are bafflingly and brutally murdered inside a locked room on Rue Morgue, and C. Auguste Dupin must apply his fine detective skills to piece together the mystery. Horror, madness, violence and the dark forces hidden in humanity abound in this collection of Poe's brilliant tales.

About the Author

George Bernard Shaw called him, 'the finest of finest of artists'; but Edgar Allan Poe (1809-49) died alone in pain and poverty when he was only forty. Almost his last words were: 'I wish to God someone would blow my damned brains out.' - it is not difficult to see why some of his best-remembered stories are grotesque and macabre.
  winchco | Aug 14, 2013 |
Welches Lied die Sirenen sangen oder welchen Namen Achilles sich beilegte, als er sich unter den Weibern verbarg - das sind zwar schwierige Fragen, aber dennoch nicht jeder Mutmaßung entzogen. (Sir Thomas Browne)
Die Charaktereigenschaften, die man die analytischen nennt, sind selbst einer Analyse nur wenig zugänglich.

Horror, madness, violence and the dark forces hidden in humanity abound in this collection of Poe's brilliant tales, including - among others - the bloody, brutal and baffling murder of a mother and daughter in Paris in "The Murders in the Rue Morgue", the creeping insanity of "The Tell-Tale Heart", the Gothic nightmare of "The Masque of the Red Death", and the terrible doom of "The fall of the House of Usher". --cover.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400101174, 1400111242

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,030,628 books! | Top bar: Always visible