The Girl Who Could Silence the Wind by Meg…

The Girl Who Could Silence the Wind

by Meg Medina

Narrated by Christina Panfilio. Sonia is the village talisman, the perceived girl of miracles who can answer prayers, assure fruitful marriages and cure skin ailments. It's a heavy role she bears and when she is unable to save a missing young man, she sees herself as a fraud. To escape the weight of expectations, she takes a job in the capital as a servant in a mansion. The story lacked a certain heft for me; I never felt Sonia's burden or why she needed to escape it. Panfilio's narration is adequate but her Spanish can be wobbly. Also, the story never states where or when it takes place, but I imagine Mexico or Latin America over a century ago, since the young men seek better lives "in the north," there is description of milagros, and people travel by horses. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Sixteen-year-old Sonia Ocampos just wants to be treated like a normal person. She was born under unusual circumstances, so her village believes she has a special gift of protecting them from harm. Sonia has carried the burdens of the village of Tres Montes all her life, but when a young villager dies despite her many prayers for his safety, she is convinced she’s a fraud.

Read the rest of my review on my blog: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2012/12/21/the-girl-who-could-silence-th... ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
Review originally published on my blog: AWordsWorth.blogspot.com
ARC provided by publisher for review.

This is one of those stories that can't be nailed down to a single time, or even a single place. It's got a trace of wildness, and a simple beauty. Just a hint of magic, and a heaping scoop of spunk; years of secrets, and a thousand dreams.

Sonia Ocampo has been cursed with a blessing. The day she was born, the raging winds of a horrible storm ended, and from that point on, everyone believed she was blessed with a special connection to Heaven. The villagers of Tres Montes would come, bearing milagros (prayer charms), begging for her intercession on their behalf. For sixteen years, things seemed to "work," but then something goes horribly wrong. Desperate for an escape, Sonia leaves for the Capitol - to work in a rich widow's house, with three other Tres Montes girls, hoping to lose her blessing along the way. Even in the beautiful Capitol, life is not easy for Sonia, nor is she safe from the burden of her "gift." Her brother, Rafael, is also trying to make things better - but his plans and dreams go horribly awry. At last, Sonia realizes she must face the truth. All of it. And only by bringing the truth out into the open can her family, and the community of Tres Montes, find the healing and new beginnings they so desperately need.

This story has some very poignant, even sad, moments. But it also has a rare beauty. Sonia and her friend Pancho have a truly beautiful relationship, and I loved watching them grow. It's sweet, it's pure, it's real. There's a multicultural flavor to The Girl Who Could Silence the Wind, but not so much that it becomes part of a separate people (if that makes sense). As I said, there is no time or place - this could be any number of small towns with a quiet routine and slow, almost forgotten, economy. (Obviously it's historical fiction, but there's no set time period - that I could tell, anyway). While the story concluded beautifully, I can't help but wish there were more. ( )
  RivkaBelle | May 10, 2012 |
This was definitely a different read.

Based on the summary, I assumed it was more of a fantasy read so imagine my surprise when I realized it was more of a historical fiction read. It's in a different setting from what I'm used to, so it was a learning experience. It was out of the box and I think the fact that it was so different made it more intriguing for me.

Sonia was a really great character. She was strong and she had a big heart and she loved her family. And she learned how strong she was as the book went on and she just learned a lot about herself. Her family relationships and her relationship with a certain boy were SO well done.

The writing was pretty gorgeous. It was descriptive when needed and engaging. It's a short book because that's all there needed to be to get the point across. Meg Medina has a really good balance of description and dialogue and including what needs to be included.

This wasn't really my type of book, but I enjoyed it. It was different and entertaining and enjoyable. Kind of heavy, but quick. I liked it more than I thought I would, despite the confusion and differences from what I normally read. It's not like any YA book I've ever heard of. Definitely one for you to try out!
  breakingdownslowly | Mar 15, 2012 |
For my mother, Lidia
The curse on Sonia Ocampo's life came without warning before she was even born, cleverly disguise as good luck.

Sonia’s entire village believes she has a gift, but it’s only in leaving home that she finds out who she truly is. A compelling tale from a rich new voice in young adult fiction.

Sixteen-year-old Sonia Ocampo was born on the night of the worst storm Tres Montes had ever seen. And when the winds mercifully stopped, an unshakable belief in the girl’s protective powers began. All her life, Sonia has been asked to pray for sick mothers or missing sons, as worried parents and friends press silver milagros in her hands. Sonia knows she has no special powers, but how can she disappoint those who look to her for solace? Still, her conscience is heavy, so when she gets a chance to travel to the city and work in the home of a wealthy woman, she seizes it. At first, Sonia feels freedom in being treated like all the other girls. But when news arrives that her beloved brother has disappeared while looking for work, she learns to her sorrow that she can never truly leave the past or her family behind. With deeply realized characters, a keen sense of place, a hint of magical realism, and a flush of young romance, Meg Medina tells the tale of a strongwilled, warmhearted girl who dares to face life’s harsh truths as she finds her real power.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:01 -0400)

Worn down by the constant petitions of the villagers who think she has special powers, sixteen-year-old Sonia leaves behind her shawl covered with milagros and her mountain home and sets out to live a life of her own choosing in the capital city.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,007,444 books! | Top bar: Always visible