Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer

Into the Wild (1996)

by Jon Krakauer

12,774355184 (3.89)1 / 352
    Walden by Henry David Thoreau (arztriper)
    Walden & On the Duty of Civil Disobedience by Henry David Thoreau (thiagobomfim)
    thiagobomfim: That is a history of a boy inspired by Thoreau and his masterpiece: Wladen.
    Eiger Dreams: Ventures Among Men and Mountains by Jon Krakauer (Ronoc)
    The Grizzly Maze: Timothy Treadwell's Fatal Obsession with Alaskan Bears by Nick Jans (stephmo)
    stephmo: Both books deal with idealists and end in Alaska. Both stories present a certain mythology available only from the Alaskan wilderness.
    The Autobiography of a Super-Tramp by W. H. Davies (Polaris-)
    Survivre en Ville... quand tout s'arrête ! : Vivre sans électricité... et sans eau potable, sans nourriture, sans médicaments... by Jade Allegre (houseandflat)
    Sukkwan Island by David Vann (raton-liseur)
    raton-liseur: Il peut paraître étrange de rapprocher ces deux livres. Pourtant ils sont entrés en résonance lorsque je les ai lus à un an d’intervalle. Tous les deux sont sombres puisqu’il y est question de mort, et tous les deux ont pour fond la beauté rude des paysages glacials de l’Alaska. C’est cette confrontation fatale entre le blanc de la neige et le noir de la mort qui m’a saisie dans ces deux livres, même si les raisons qui sous-tendent ces deux quêtes vers les paysages du Grand Nord sont (à première vue) sans point commun.… (more)
    The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (Graphirus)
    The Golden Spruce: A True Story of Myth, Madness, and Greed by John Vaillant (Anonymous user)
    Finding Everett Ruess: The Life and Unsolved Disappearance of a Legendary Wilderness Explorer by David Roberts (amyblue, bluepiano)
    amyblue: Both books attempt to solve the mystery of how a young man disappeared in the wilderness on a quest for beauty and an authentic life.
    bluepiano: Another young Yank who died in the wilderness whilst on a impassioned and private quest.
    Cold Burial: A True Story of Endurance and Disaster by Clive Powell-Williams (bluetongue)
    Scenes in America Deserta by Reyner Banham (nilsr)
    American Nomads: Travels with Lost Conquistadors, Mountain Men, Cowboys, Indians, Hoboes, Truckers, and Bullriders by Richard Grant (cwflatt)
    Arctic Daughter by Jean Aspen (suniru)
    Drop City by T. C. Boyle (suniru)
    Off the Map by Hib (Anonymous user)
    Hunger by Knut Hamsun (nilsr)
    On the Road by Jack Kerouac (thiagobomfim)

English (333)  Italian (5)  German (4)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  All (2)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  All (355)
Several people who have seen me reading this book have commented on it. One had read the original story in Outdoor magazine and still remembered how affected she was by it. The other had read the book and then felt compelled to see the movie. She didn't advise seeing the movie though and I don't think I want to. The book was very moving and I think I would be emotionally undone by seeing the movie.

Part of the reason the story is so poignant is Krakauer's identification with Christopher McCandless. In one chapter he talks about how, at a similar age, he headed off to Alaska to climb a mountain on his own. He didn't say but I think he felt "There but for the grace of God, go I."

I can't say I ever felt a need to lose myself in the wilds. I suspect that it is a rite of passage that mostly males undertake. I think I read some time ago that there are significantly male babies born than female babies (even without sex selection by the parents) and I think it is Gaia's recognition of the fact that young men are going to go out and do foolhardy things so there needs to be more of them to start with.

Chris certainly was not well-prepared for his wilderness sojourn but he probably would have survived if he hadn't ingested a potent toxin from mouldy seeds he resorted to eating. The one book he had on edible plants appears not to have mentioned that problem. So you could say that he was a victim of circumstances. On the other hand, he did send off postcards to friends saying they probably wouldn't hear from him again so perhaps he did have a death wish. No one will ever know for sure but Krakauer does come down very firmly on one side and he convinced me. ( )
  gypsysmom | Aug 9, 2017 |
Fascinating account of one man's journey into a different side of life, out side of society, being true to his calling. ( )
  CherieKephart | Aug 3, 2017 |
I'm not sure this would be a book I would ever recommend to anyone.

While some parts of the book felt somewhat relatable (who wouldn't want to just dive off into exploration of nature, finding yourself, etc.) but I believe this guy went about it all wrong. McCandless just felt like someone completely foreign, to the extent of alienation, with his way of thinking. He seemed to have met wonderful people along his way, and seemed to have a few wonderful experiences, but would that not have been enough to think twice about how life is short? ( )
  thursbest | Jul 17, 2017 |
Around 25 years ago in August, Chris McCandless died in a bus in the Alaskan "bush". This is the story of how he ended up there, why, and what killed him.

This was a bit of a grind for me to read. Busy hectic time with summer, and lots of things going on, and frankly lots of the book weren't as interesting as I thought they would be. I was much more interested in the kid, in his psychology, and actions, rather than just what led to his death. There is also a 20+ page chapter that the author throws in about HIS OWN (the author's) climb of a mountain (Devil's Thumb) in Alaska.

Unfortunately, there really wasn't much to know about him or what he did after graduating college. So, the book takes what is a simple matter; something that is akin to roughly 25-35 pages, and expands it to a 200 page book; much of the time repeating himself from earlier chapters/segments.

While overall, the book is interesting.... it just feels lacking. I myself both, find Chris's 'character' to be interesting.... and fraud like. Hero worshiping of people like Tolstoy and Thoreau and Landon ..... is not necessarily a good way to live one's life. Just like I both admire what this kid did and stood for.... I also find him phony, over-zealous, "nut case", and other such terms. The idea of doing what he does is both appealing and NOT appealing.... (and thus pretty much, why I never have done it). But the kid, clearly had charisma, almost in a Manson kind of way in how he transformed the lives of people he came in contact in the Arizona area before going up to Alaska, primarily R.F who he even talked into abandoning his life and moving out into a camper. (Which, is both ludicrous and "heart warming". In the same way that I said the idea of doing what Chris did is appealing and not, and the not is why I never did it, I can see Chris saying "Yea, but then you never lived, you never had your "MOMENT" because you DIDN'T do it...... )

On one hand it's admiring what he did, and "neat" and fun. But on the other hand, you have to look at it pragmatically instead of mystically. Abandoning life, abandoning your family, people who care about you, and causing them pain, abandoning being a member of society, not doing work, not having a job, not contributing, causing grief, etc..... that's not admirable. Its a 'conundrum' to view this kid, because on one hand he's 'great' and on the other he's 'stupid, pathetic, a waste, etc.'. So I think a bit of this is what led me to a 'I dunno' feeling overall about the book. ( )
  BenKline | Jul 13, 2017 |
[pending review]

Source: Overdrive
First finished: 31may2017 ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
Christopher McCandless's life and his death may have been meaningless, absurd, even reprehensible, but by the end of "Into the Wild," you care for him deeply.

Mr. Krakauer has taken the tale of a kook who went into the woods, and made of it a heart-rending drama of human yearning.

Krakauer, Jonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ferrari, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Franklin, PhilipNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mijn, Aad van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palma, Maria HelenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soares, Pedro MaiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zung, SabrinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Linda
Jim Gallien had driven four miles out of Fairbanks when he spotted the hitchhiker standing in the snow beside the road, thumb raised high, shivering in the gray Alaska dawn.
The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307387178, Paperback)

What would possess a gifted young man recently graduated from college to literally walk away from his life? Noted outdoor writer and mountaineer Jon Krakauer tackles that question in his reporting on Chris McCandless, whose emaciated body was found in an abandoned bus in the Alaskan wilderness in 1992.

Described by friends and relatives as smart, literate, compassionate, and funny, did McCandless simply read too much Thoreau and Jack London and lose sight of the dangers of heading into the wilderness alone? Krakauer, whose own adventures have taken him to the perilous heights of Everest, provides some answers by exploring the pull the outdoors, seductive yet often dangerous, has had on his own life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:52 -0400)

In April 1992 a young man from a well-to-do family hitchhiked to Alaska and walked alone into the wilderness north of Mt. McKinley. His name was Christopher Johnson McCandless. He had given $25,000 in savings to charity, abandoned his car and most of his possessions, burned all the cash in his wallet, and invented a new life for himself. Four months later, his decomposed body was found by a moose hunter. How McCandless came to die is the unforgettable story of Into the Wild.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,588,093 books! | Top bar: Always visible