Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer

Into the Wild (original 1996; edition 2007)

by Jon Krakauer

10,581None268 (3.9)1 / 272
Member:NinaP.
Title:Into the Wild
Authors:Jon Krakauer
Info:Anchor (2007), Paperback, 224 pages

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer (1996)

(27) 2008 (40) adventure (523) Alaska (528) America (29) American (25) audiobook (27) biography (629) death (66) fiction (58) history (29) hitchhiking (46) journalism (43) made into movie (32) memoir (92) nature (164) non-fiction (1,045) outdoors (117) own (47) read (144) read in 2008 (28) solitude (29) survival (281) to-read (108) tragedy (29) travel (274) true story (28) unread (31) USA (38) wilderness (237)
    Walden by Henry David Thoreau (arztriper)
    Eiger Dreams by Jon Krakauer (Ronoc)
    Walden & On the Duty of Civil Disobedience by Henry David Thoreau (thiagobomfim)
    thiagobomfim: That is a history of a boy inspired by Thoreau and his masterpiece: Wladen.
    The Autobiography of a Super-Tramp by W. H. Davies (Polaris-)
    Survivre en Ville... quand tout s'arrête ! : Vivre sans électricité... et sans eau potable, sans nourriture, sans médicaments... by Jade Allegre (houseandflat)
    The Grizzly Maze: Timothy Treadwell's Fatal Obsession with Alaskan Bears by Nick Jans (stephmo)
    stephmo: Both books deal with idealists and end in Alaska. Both stories present a certain mythology available only from the Alaskan wilderness.
    The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (Graphirus)
    The Golden Spruce: A True Story of Myth, Madness, and Greed by John Vaillant (Anonymous user)
    On the Road by Jack Kerouac (thiagobomfim)
    Finding Everett Ruess: The Life and Unsolved Disappearance of a Legendary Wilderness Explorer by David Roberts (amyblue)
    amyblue: Both books attempt to solve the mystery of how a young man disappeared in the wilderness on a quest for beauty and an authentic life.
    Scenes in America Deserta by Reyner Banham (nilsr)
    Sukkwan Island by David Vann (raton-liseur)
    raton-liseur: Il peut paraître étrange de rapprocher ces deux livres. Pourtant ils sont entrés en résonance lorsque je les ai lus à un an d’intervalle. Tous les deux sont sombres puisqu’il y est question de mort, et tous les deux ont pour fond la beauté rude des paysages glacials de l’Alaska. C’est cette confrontation fatale entre le blanc de la neige et le noir de la mort qui m’a saisie dans ces deux livres, même si les raisons qui sous-tendent ces deux quêtes vers les paysages du Grand Nord sont (à première vue) sans point commun.… (more)
    Hunger by Knut Hamsun (nilsr)
    American Nomads: Travels with Lost Conquistadors, Mountain Men, Cowboys, Indians, Hoboes, Truckers, and Bullriders by Richard Grant (cwflatt)
    Off the Map by Hib (Anonymous user)

English (265)  Italian (5)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (282)
This is the second book I have read by Jon Krakauer; and "Into the Wild" ended rather differently than how it started--it was not what I expected. I selected this piece based upon being impressed by the author's book, "Under the Banner of Heaven" as well as his contribution and participation in Sam Brower's compendium called, "Prophet's Prey: My Seven-Year Investigation into Warren Jeffs and the Fundamentalist Church of Latter-Day Saints."

In all three books, I have found a certain set of core values, or consistencies, from Jon Krakauer: a thorough investigation, balanced reporting, a desire to right the wrongs of the world, and a compelling writing style that makes each of the reads a real page-turner. It was important to note that I did not have an interest in mountaineering or any extreme sports that I was able to think of; yet, as I delved deeper into this book, I realized that it really had nothing to do about the main character's trip to Alaska. This book was the author's desire to have his reader(s) to get to know Chris McCandless and to finish the book either without any harsh judgment of him or with perhaps a less critical stance of the young adult coupled with the knowledge of how he died.

I appreciated the author's compassionate approach to the investigation into McCandless' death. Krakauer probed every angle that many other people would not have considered. He took the time to get to know people who interacted with McCandless and showed the generosity and care they had for/with this young guy. They recognized his talents and good work ethic, yet they all seemed concerned for him, for his innocence mixed with idealism and perhaps an occasional dose of arrogance. McCandless' brilliance in academia did not translate when he went into the wild. The writer compared the young man with himself as a youth and other adventurers and spelled out exactly what made McCandless different, even though at his core all of them (including the author) shared a certain amount of recklessness in their young lives. In the end, Krakauer was trying to clear the young man's name and "… trying to get a handle on how he came to grief, trying to understand why some people seem to despise him (McCandless) so intensely for having died here " (pg. 180)." Ultimately, McCandless was an unrealistic adventurer…which ultimately led to his death.

In the end, too, this book taught me that with Jon Krakauer at the writing helm, I cannot help but want to read another book authored by him--even if, at first, I think it is about a topic for which I may not have an interest--because, it may actually be about things or people for whom/what I hold a surprisingly deep interest.
  LibStre | Feb 14, 2014 |
Compelling, chilling, probably not quite enough material for a whole book. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
Well written but I just kept thinking "The kid was naive, selfish, stubborn, over confident, inexperienced & full of hubris." The author does a great job of investigating & piecing together the last 2 years of Chris/Alex's life. Instead of understanding the young man's quest & need for solitary adventures, I found myself feeling so much empathy for his parents. ( )
  PiperUp | Jan 29, 2014 |
This book was excellent but it really made me angry. ( )
  AKLibGirl | Dec 21, 2013 |
This was a book that I had to read when I was senior in high school and didn't think I was going to like it...how wrong I was back then. This was a remarkable read and I enjoyed it so much that for my birthday that year I asked for a copy of this book and a copy of the movie (which is also remarkable). The story is well written and very fascinating, making you wonder what is going to happen next to Alexander Supertramp. A very good book indeed. ( )
  1WingedAngel | Dec 8, 2013 |
Christopher McCandless's life and his death may have been meaningless, absurd, even reprehensible, but by the end of "Into the Wild," you care for him deeply.

Mr. Krakauer has taken the tale of a kook who went into the woods, and made of it a heart-rending drama of human yearning.

Krakauer, Jonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ferrari, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Franklin, PhilipNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mijn, Aad van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palma, Maria HelenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soares, Pedro MaiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zung, SabrinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Linda
Jim Gallien had driven four miles out of Fairbanks when he spotted the hitchhiker standing in the snow beside the road, thumb raised high, shivering in the gray Alaska dawn.
The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307387178, Paperback)

What would possess a gifted young man recently graduated from college to literally walk away from his life? Noted outdoor writer and mountaineer Jon Krakauer tackles that question in his reporting on Chris McCandless, whose emaciated body was found in an abandoned bus in the Alaskan wilderness in 1992.

Described by friends and relatives as smart, literate, compassionate, and funny, did McCandless simply read too much Thoreau and Jack London and lose sight of the dangers of heading into the wilderness alone? Krakauer, whose own adventures have taken him to the perilous heights of Everest, provides some answers by exploring the pull the outdoors, seductive yet often dangerous, has had on his own life.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:43 -0400)

A portrait of Chris McCandless chronicles his decision to withdraw from society and adopt the persona of Alexander Supertramp, offering insight into his beliefs about the wilderness and his tragic death in the Alaskan wilderness.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,486,485 books! | Top bar: Always visible