Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer

Into the Wild (original 1996; edition 2007)

by Jon Krakauer

11,824325225 (3.89)1 / 327
Member:NinaP.
Title:Into the Wild
Authors:Jon Krakauer
Info:Anchor (2007), Paperback, 224 pages

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer (1996)

Walden by Henry David Thoreau (arztriper)
    Walden & On the Duty of Civil Disobedience by Henry David Thoreau (thiagobomfim)
    thiagobomfim: That is a history of a boy inspired by Thoreau and his masterpiece: Wladen.
    Eiger Dreams: Ventures Among Men and Mountains by Jon Krakauer (Ronoc)
    The Grizzly Maze: Timothy Treadwell's Fatal Obsession with Alaskan Bears by Nick Jans (stephmo)
    stephmo: Both books deal with idealists and end in Alaska. Both stories present a certain mythology available only from the Alaskan wilderness.
    The Autobiography of a Super-Tramp by W. H. Davies (Polaris-)
    Survivre en Ville... quand tout s'arrête ! : Vivre sans électricité... et sans eau potable, sans nourriture, sans médicaments... by Jade Allegre (houseandflat)
    Sukkwan Island by David Vann (raton-liseur)
    raton-liseur: Il peut paraître étrange de rapprocher ces deux livres. Pourtant ils sont entrés en résonance lorsque je les ai lus à un an d’intervalle. Tous les deux sont sombres puisqu’il y est question de mort, et tous les deux ont pour fond la beauté rude des paysages glacials de l’Alaska. C’est cette confrontation fatale entre le blanc de la neige et le noir de la mort qui m’a saisie dans ces deux livres, même si les raisons qui sous-tendent ces deux quêtes vers les paysages du Grand Nord sont (à première vue) sans point commun.… (more)
    The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (Graphirus)
    The Golden Spruce: A True Story of Myth, Madness, and Greed by John Vaillant (Anonymous user)
    Finding Everett Ruess: The Life and Unsolved Disappearance of a Legendary Wilderness Explorer by David Roberts (amyblue)
    amyblue: Both books attempt to solve the mystery of how a young man disappeared in the wilderness on a quest for beauty and an authentic life.
    Arctic Daughter by Jean Aspen (suniru)
    Cold Burial: A True Story of Endurance and Disaster by Clive Powell-Williams (bluetongue)
    Scenes in America Deserta by Reyner Banham (nilsr)
    American Nomads: Travels with Lost Conquistadors, Mountain Men, Cowboys, Indians, Hoboes, Truckers, and Bullriders by Richard Grant (cwflatt)
    On the Road by Jack Kerouac (thiagobomfim)
    Hunger by Knut Hamsun (nilsr)
    Drop City by T. C. Boyle (suniru)
    Off the Map by Hib (Anonymous user)

English (302)  Italian (5)  German (4)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (321)
This true story is well told in this book - gripping. ( )
  BridgitDavis | Apr 21, 2016 |
A young man goes into the Alaskan wilderness and dies. Not much of a story, no? I listened to this on tape and I used to drive the same block for hours because I didn't want to leave the story. Gripping and heart-breaking. Krakauer does a phenomenal job with this one. ( )
  evamat72 | Mar 31, 2016 |
Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer
3 stars

Chris McCandless didn't fit into the early 1990's society. He didn't want to go to college, but it was the only thing that he did that his parents told him to do that he actually did. Shortly after his graduation from an Atlanta university, Chris decided to hit the road and never look back. It was his graduation that granted him his freedom, from not only his parents but from society.

When I started reading this book, I didn't realize it was a nonfiction one, not until I finished and got to the acknowledgements at the end where the author thanked the family of Chris. I was thoroughly shocked. I've heard stories of people living off the land for years. I could actually relate to Chris at times. I don't feel like I don't fit in with society now, I'm not into clothes or politics or much anything really, except reading. I would love to just pick up my life and move to Alaska and just live my life, not worry about where I have to be and work.

I would have to say that this book is for anyone that enjoys true stories. It didn't read like a traditional nonfiction and I think that was why I didn't pick up on it. I liked it overall. ( )
  welkeral | Mar 20, 2016 |
The book begins with the discovery of McCandless's body inside an abandoned bus in Alaska (63°52′06.23″N 149°46′09.49″W / 63.8683972°N 149.7693028°W / 63.8683972; -149.7693028Coordinates: 63°52′06.23″N 149°46′09.49″W / 63.8683972°N 149.7693028°W / 63.8683972; -149.7693028)[3] and retraces his travels during the two years he was missing.[4] McCandless shed his real name early in his journey, adopting the moniker "Alexander Supertramp". He spent time in Carthage, South Dakota with a man named Wayne Westerberg. Krakauer interprets McCandless's intensely ascetic personality as possibly influenced by the writings of Leo Tolstoy, Henry David Thoreau, and McCandless's favorite writer, Jack London. He explores the similarities between McCandless's experiences and motivations and his own as a young man, recounting in detail his own attempt to climb Devils Thumb in Alaska. He also relates the stories of some other young men who vanished into the wilderness, such as Everett Ruess, an artist and wanderer who went missing in the Utah desert during 1934 at age 20. In addition, he describes at some length the grief and puzzlement of McCandless's family and friends.

McCandless survived for approximately 112 days in the Alaskan wilderness, foraging for edible roots and berries, shooting an assortment of game—including a moose—and keeping a journal. Although he planned to hike to the coast, the boggy terrain of summer proved too difficult and he decided instead to camp in a derelict bus. In July, he tried to leave, only to find the route blocked by a melted river. Toward the end of July, McCandless wrote a journal entry reporting extreme weakness and blaming it on "pot. seeds". As Krakauer hypothesized, McCandless had been eating the roots of Hedysarum alpinum, a historically edible plant commonly known as wild potato (also "Eskimo potato"), which are sweet and nourishing in the spring but later become too tough to eat. When this happened, McCandless may have attempted to eat the seeds instead. Krakauer suggests that the seeds contained a poisonous alkaloid, possibly swainsonine (the toxic chemical in locoweed) or something similar. In addition to neurological symptoms such as weakness and loss of coordination, the poison causes starvation by blocking nutrient metabolism in the body.

According to Krakauer, a well-nourished person might consume the seeds and survive because the body can use its stores of glucose and amino acids to rid itself of the poison. Since McCandless lived on a diet of rice, lean meat, and wild plants and had less than 10% body fat when he died, Krakauer theorized he was likely unable to fend off the toxins. However, when the Eskimo potatoes from the area around the bus were later tested in a laboratory of the University of Alaska Fairbanks by Dr. Thomas Clausen, toxins were not found. Krakauer later modified his hypothesis, suggesting that mold of the variety Rhizoctonia leguminicola may have caused McCandless's death. Rhizoctonia leguminicola is known to cause digestion problems in livestock, and may have aided McCandless's impending starvation. The exact cause of the young man's death remains open to question. McCandless may simply have starved to death, a theory backed by the fact that McCandless's body weighed an estimated 72 pounds (33 kg) at the time it was found.

bostonwendym | Mar 3, 2016 |
In my opinion, “Into The Wild” is a great book. I liked this book for various reasons. First, I love nature and I prefer to be outside during any free moment I get. I’m envious of Christopher McCandless’s will to give up any and everything he had owned and take off into the wild. He was a free spirit and although many might consider his actions “irresponsible” or “stupid”, I think it takes a different kind of courage to donate all of your money to charity and live with the earth, and the earth only. I also really like how vivid this book is. It was written as a biography, but it includes actual journal entries that Chris wrote. I thought this aspect let me see how Chris was feeling and why he did what he did. Although this book did not end how anyone wanted it to end, I think overall it was a great story, and it described the life of a man who didn’t want to live in such a materialistic world so he did what he could do to go ‘into the wild’. ( )
  aseipp1 | Mar 1, 2016 |
Christopher McCandless's life and his death may have been meaningless, absurd, even reprehensible, but by the end of "Into the Wild," you care for him deeply.

Mr. Krakauer has taken the tale of a kook who went into the woods, and made of it a heart-rending drama of human yearning.

Krakauer, Jonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ferrari, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Franklin, PhilipNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mijn, Aad van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palma, Maria HelenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soares, Pedro MaiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zung, SabrinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Linda
Jim Gallien had driven four miles out of Fairbanks when he spotted the hitchhiker standing in the snow beside the road, thumb raised high, shivering in the gray Alaska dawn.
The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307387178, Paperback)

What would possess a gifted young man recently graduated from college to literally walk away from his life? Noted outdoor writer and mountaineer Jon Krakauer tackles that question in his reporting on Chris McCandless, whose emaciated body was found in an abandoned bus in the Alaskan wilderness in 1992.

Described by friends and relatives as smart, literate, compassionate, and funny, did McCandless simply read too much Thoreau and Jack London and lose sight of the dangers of heading into the wilderness alone? Krakauer, whose own adventures have taken him to the perilous heights of Everest, provides some answers by exploring the pull the outdoors, seductive yet often dangerous, has had on his own life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:52 -0400)

A portrait of Chris McCandless chronicles his decision to withdraw from society and adopt the persona of Alexander Supertramp, offering insight into his beliefs about the wilderness and his tragic death in the Alaskan wilderness.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,354,554 books! | Top bar: Always visible