Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer

Into the Wild (original 1996; edition 1997)

by Jon Krakauer

13,380361267 (3.89)1 / 364
Member:mashiox
Title:Into the Wild
Authors:Jon Krakauer
Info:Anchor (1997), Edition: 1, Paperback, 207 pages
Rating:*****

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer (1996)

Walden by Henry David Thoreau (arztriper)
    Walden & On the Duty of Civil Disobedience by Henry David Thoreau (thiagobomfim)
    thiagobomfim: That is a history of a boy inspired by Thoreau and his masterpiece: Wladen.
    Eiger Dreams: Ventures Among Men and Mountains by Jon Krakauer (Ronoc)
    The Grizzly Maze: Timothy Treadwell's Fatal Obsession with Alaskan Bears by Nick Jans (stephmo)
    stephmo: Both books deal with idealists and end in Alaska. Both stories present a certain mythology available only from the Alaskan wilderness.
    The Autobiography of a Super-Tramp by W. H. Davies (Polaris-)
    Sukkwan Island by David Vann (raton-liseur)
    raton-liseur: Il peut paraître étrange de rapprocher ces deux livres. Pourtant ils sont entrés en résonance lorsque je les ai lus à un an d’intervalle. Tous les deux sont sombres puisqu’il y est question de mort, et tous les deux ont pour fond la beauté rude des paysages glacials de l’Alaska. C’est cette confrontation fatale entre le blanc de la neige et le noir de la mort qui m’a saisie dans ces deux livres, même si les raisons qui sous-tendent ces deux quêtes vers les paysages du Grand Nord sont (à première vue) sans point commun.… (more)
    The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (Graphirus)
    The Golden Spruce: A True Story of Myth, Madness, and Greed by John Vaillant (Anonymous user)
    Finding Everett Ruess: The Life and Unsolved Disappearance of a Legendary Wilderness Explorer by David Roberts (amyblue, bluepiano)
    amyblue: Both books attempt to solve the mystery of how a young man disappeared in the wilderness on a quest for beauty and an authentic life.
    bluepiano: Another young Yank who died in the wilderness whilst on a impassioned and private quest.
    Cold Burial: A True Story of Endurance and Disaster by Clive Powell-Williams (bluetongue)
    Scenes in America Deserta by Reyner Banham (nilsr)
    Hunger by Knut Hamsun (nilsr)
    On the Road by Jack Kerouac (thiagobomfim)
    American Nomads: Travels with Lost Conquistadors, Mountain Men, Cowboys, Indians, Hoboes, Truckers, and Bullriders by Richard Grant (cwflatt)
    Drop City by T. C. Boyle (suniru)
    Arctic Daughter: A Wilderness Journey by Jean Aspen (suniru)
    Off the Map by Hib (Anonymous user)

English (337)  Italian (6)  German (4)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (360)
I picked up a copy of this on a recent trip to Alaska which really enhanced the book (having just been very near to where Chris was). This is a great memoir especially when you consider how much effort the author had to go through to piece together an largely undocumented account. This book will make you take a minute to think about how people think and act and if there are leanings for all of us from someone who simply wanted to go into the wild. ( )
  sbenne3 | Aug 19, 2018 |
Oh, this book. Let me start off by saying that I love Jon Krakauer's stuff. He gets it, he writes it, and it just seems to really translate really well with people like me. I appreciated his own insights here and there within the text, adding another outsider's perspective as he investigated the situation like anyone else might have. His narrative is not so overbearing that we feel like we have to see things his way, and, in fact, I'd argue that he does a good job of staying neutral enough that we are not at all persuaded in one direction or the other as to what we should really think about this crazy kid who went 'into the wild,' but we're given the freedoms to come to our own conclusions about those things. I have formed my own opinions about the events and the 'characters' on my own, but, again, appreciated some of Krakauer's insight especially in regards to his own experiences (that I have never had myself).

So, do I think Chris MacCandless was stupid? Absolutely, yes. Did I get the message of, "Drop everything! Sell all your stuff! Live life to the fullest and throw everything out into the wind!"? No, absolutely not. I read this with an open mindset, and sure, I get where Chris was coming from. Sell all your stuff, live freely and unhindered by 'the system.' I get that. He had some passion but also some stupidity and unluckiness in his life.

So, whichever way you want to see it, as far as this RATING goes, I really feel Krakauer did a phenomenal job. The book itself is very enlightening, and whether you take the message as 'Go, be free!' or "Take heed! Let this be a warning!" it is so very much worth the read. ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 1, 2018 |
This is a slightly uneven book, but ultimately a very satisfying experience. I found myself at first annoyed by the chapters about the author and other people who had similar experiences to the book's subject, seeing them as padding for page count, but Krakauer drew me in each time and made me appreciate how they did expand on the book's themes. Upon finishing the book, instead of just setting it aside, I found myself compelled to do some research the internet to learn more about Chris McCandless and the controversies surrounding him, this book and the author. I want to see the movie too.

I actually read this book because it was part of my daughter's assigned summer reading for her high school English class. I like to read along to support her and to hopefully find a good book for myself. Into the Wild was paired with [b:The Catcher in the Rye|5107|The Catcher in the Rye|J.D. Salinger|https://d2arxad8u2l0g7.cloudfront.net/books/1398034300s/5107.jpg|3036731], and it was fun to think about parallels and differences between McCandless and Holden Caulfield (e.g., funny hats, a desire to find freedom in the West, pretentiousness, foolishness). I must say, I enjoyed Krakauer's book much more than Salinger's. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |
all over the place - what McCandless MAY have been thinking; analysis of the many ways one can die in the wilderness; stories of other adventurers; hard to top Into Thin Air ( )
  rosies | Jul 5, 2018 |
I remember when this book was being hugely hyped and wanting to read it... Then the film came out and I still didn't get around to reading it... Then I read [b:Finding Everett Ruess|10363517|Finding Everett Ruess The Life and Unsolved Disappearance of a Legendary Wilderness Explorer|David Roberts|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1320413204s/10363517.jpg|15266559] which referenced this book heavily... and still didn't read it. Well, I finally got around to reading it.

I felt that this book was a great deal like [b:Finding Everett Ruess|10363517|Finding Everett Ruess The Life and Unsolved Disappearance of a Legendary Wilderness Explorer|David Roberts|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1320413204s/10363517.jpg|15266559] though I liked the latter a bit better. [a:Jon Krakauer|1235|Jon Krakauer|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1199903308p2/1235.jpg] did an excellent job of researching the life of the elusive "Alex Supertramp" and trying to understand why he was the way he was and why he did what he did. The rating I gave this book, please understand, is for the book itself and not for Alex. Gosh, it isn't hard to believe that someone can be that careless with those who love them but it still is startling to see.

This book is a good, short read. If you want a longer read of this nature please do read about Everett. It's every bit as fascinating, and has a far greater mystery at its core. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Christopher McCandless's life and his death may have been meaningless, absurd, even reprehensible, but by the end of "Into the Wild," you care for him deeply.

Mr. Krakauer has taken the tale of a kook who went into the woods, and made of it a heart-rending drama of human yearning.

Krakauer, Jonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ferrari, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Franklin, PhilipNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mijn, Aad van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palma, Maria HelenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soares, Pedro MaiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zung, SabrinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Linda
Jim Gallien had driven four miles out of Fairbanks when he spotted the hitchhiker standing in the snow beside the road, thumb raised high, shivering in the gray Alaska dawn.
The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307387178, Paperback)

What would possess a gifted young man recently graduated from college to literally walk away from his life? Noted outdoor writer and mountaineer Jon Krakauer tackles that question in his reporting on Chris McCandless, whose emaciated body was found in an abandoned bus in the Alaskan wilderness in 1992.

Described by friends and relatives as smart, literate, compassionate, and funny, did McCandless simply read too much Thoreau and Jack London and lose sight of the dangers of heading into the wilderness alone? Krakauer, whose own adventures have taken him to the perilous heights of Everest, provides some answers by exploring the pull the outdoors, seductive yet often dangerous, has had on his own life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:52 -0400)

In April 1992 a young man from a well-to-do family hitchhiked to Alaska and walked alone into the wilderness north of Mt. McKinley. His name was Christopher Johnson McCandless. He had given $25,000 in savings to charity, abandoned his car and most of his possessions, burned all the cash in his wallet, and invented a new life for himself. Four months later, his decomposed body was found by a moose hunter. How McCandless came to die is the unforgettable story of Into the Wild.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,606,019 books! | Top bar: Always visible