Into the wild by Jon Krakauer

Into the wild (original 1996; edition 2007)

by Jon Krakauer

12,643352188 (3.89)1 / 350
Member:mrminjares
Title:Into the wild
Authors:Jon Krakauer
Info:New York : Anchor Books, [2007]
Rating:***1/2

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer (1996)

Walden by Henry David Thoreau (arztriper)
    Walden & On the Duty of Civil Disobedience by Henry David Thoreau (thiagobomfim)
    thiagobomfim: That is a history of a boy inspired by Thoreau and his masterpiece: Wladen.
    Eiger Dreams: Ventures Among Men and Mountains by Jon Krakauer (Ronoc)
    The Grizzly Maze: Timothy Treadwell's Fatal Obsession with Alaskan Bears by Nick Jans (stephmo)
    stephmo: Both books deal with idealists and end in Alaska. Both stories present a certain mythology available only from the Alaskan wilderness.
    The Autobiography of a Super-Tramp by W. H. Davies (Polaris-)
    Survivre en Ville... quand tout s'arrête ! : Vivre sans électricité... et sans eau potable, sans nourriture, sans médicaments... by Jade Allegre (houseandflat)
    Sukkwan Island by David Vann (raton-liseur)
    raton-liseur: Il peut paraître étrange de rapprocher ces deux livres. Pourtant ils sont entrés en résonance lorsque je les ai lus à un an d’intervalle. Tous les deux sont sombres puisqu’il y est question de mort, et tous les deux ont pour fond la beauté rude des paysages glacials de l’Alaska. C’est cette confrontation fatale entre le blanc de la neige et le noir de la mort qui m’a saisie dans ces deux livres, même si les raisons qui sous-tendent ces deux quêtes vers les paysages du Grand Nord sont (à première vue) sans point commun.… (more)
    The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (Graphirus)
    The Golden Spruce: A True Story of Myth, Madness, and Greed by John Vaillant (Anonymous user)
    Finding Everett Ruess: The Life and Unsolved Disappearance of a Legendary Wilderness Explorer by David Roberts (amyblue, bluepiano)
    amyblue: Both books attempt to solve the mystery of how a young man disappeared in the wilderness on a quest for beauty and an authentic life.
    bluepiano: Another young Yank who died in the wilderness whilst on a impassioned and private quest.
    Cold Burial: A True Story of Endurance and Disaster by Clive Powell-Williams (bluetongue)
    Scenes in America Deserta by Reyner Banham (nilsr)
    American Nomads: Travels with Lost Conquistadors, Mountain Men, Cowboys, Indians, Hoboes, Truckers, and Bullriders by Richard Grant (cwflatt)
    Arctic Daughter by Jean Aspen (suniru)
    Drop City by T. C. Boyle (suniru)
    Off the Map by Hib (Anonymous user)
    Hunger by Knut Hamsun (nilsr)
    On the Road by Jack Kerouac (thiagobomfim)

English (331)  Italian (5)  German (4)  Spanish (3)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  All (2)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  All (352)
I'm not sure this would be a book I would ever recommend to anyone.

While some parts of the book felt somewhat relatable (who wouldn't want to just dive off into exploration of nature, finding yourself, etc.) but I believe this guy went about it all wrong. McCandless just felt like someone completely foreign, to the extent of alienation, with his way of thinking. He seemed to have met wonderful people along his way, and seemed to have a few wonderful experiences, but would that not have been enough to think twice about how life is short? ( )
  thursbest | Jul 17, 2017 |
Around 25 years ago in August, Chris McCandless died in a bus in the Alaskan "bush". This is the story of how he ended up there, why, and what killed him.

This was a bit of a grind for me to read. Busy hectic time with summer, and lots of things going on, and frankly lots of the book weren't as interesting as I thought they would be. I was much more interested in the kid, in his psychology, and actions, rather than just what led to his death. There is also a 20+ page chapter that the author throws in about HIS OWN (the author's) climb of a mountain (Devil's Thumb) in Alaska.

Unfortunately, there really wasn't much to know about him or what he did after graduating college. So, the book takes what is a simple matter; something that is akin to roughly 25-35 pages, and expands it to a 200 page book; much of the time repeating himself from earlier chapters/segments.

While overall, the book is interesting.... it just feels lacking. I myself both, find Chris's 'character' to be interesting.... and fraud like. Hero worshiping of people like Tolstoy and Thoreau and Landon ..... is not necessarily a good way to live one's life. Just like I both admire what this kid did and stood for.... I also find him phony, over-zealous, "nut case", and other such terms. The idea of doing what he does is both appealing and NOT appealing.... (and thus pretty much, why I never have done it). But the kid, clearly had charisma, almost in a Manson kind of way in how he transformed the lives of people he came in contact in the Arizona area before going up to Alaska, primarily R.F who he even talked into abandoning his life and moving out into a camper. (Which, is both ludicrous and "heart warming". In the same way that I said the idea of doing what Chris did is appealing and not, and the not is why I never did it, I can see Chris saying "Yea, but then you never lived, you never had your "MOMENT" because you DIDN'T do it...... )

On one hand it's admiring what he did, and "neat" and fun. But on the other hand, you have to look at it pragmatically instead of mystically. Abandoning life, abandoning your family, people who care about you, and causing them pain, abandoning being a member of society, not doing work, not having a job, not contributing, causing grief, etc..... that's not admirable. Its a 'conundrum' to view this kid, because on one hand he's 'great' and on the other he's 'stupid, pathetic, a waste, etc.'. So I think a bit of this is what led me to a 'I dunno' feeling overall about the book. ( )
  BenKline | Jul 13, 2017 |
[pending review]

Source: Overdrive
First finished: 31may2017 ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
The book is very well written. It is important for us to divorce ourselves from what Chris did, from the writing of the book.

Would I disappear into the wild, and become an Indian version of Alex Supertramp? No. From a conventional view point, he was a misguided young man, but he did not harm anyone. He lived by principles that I don't understand, despite my own fascination with nature and the wild.

Jon has done a rather remarkable job of writing this book really well. The investigative journalism is of an extremely high order. What I like most, is that he approaches the story with a high degree of restraint, and respect. It is very important to be able to do this. To paint him as a Kook, or as God's Fool would have been very easy.

That he broke down the story into it's essentials, and included interviews that show up Chris as a bright young chap is very good indeed.

He has approached the story with sensitivity and respect. This makes the book a must read. ( )
  RajivC | Jun 16, 2017 |
This book reminded me why I usually stick to Christian literature. What a depressing and tragic tale.

Chris McCandless aka Alex Supertramp, gave away his savings, left his family and friends and headed off into the wilderness. He lived nomadically for a couple of years encountering various people along the way. His ultimate goal was to head into the wilds of Alaska and live off the land. This he did, but a few mistakes ended up costing him everything. His emaciated body was found by hikers in an abandoned bus some time later.

The author has done an amazing job of following McCandless's elusive trail and collating all of the accounts and memories into a biography. He jumps around a bit--I would have preferred a chronological account. Likewise, he repeats some detail in places. The inclusion of details of others who have similarly disappeared was a good call. It made the narrative a lot more interesting. Also, the account of the author's own expedition into the mountains and near death experiences.

However, as a Christian, I cannot help but wonder what benefit there is from this account and what lessons can be learned from the life of Chris McCandless and others. This appears to be a tale without hope because the author and no doubt many readers are assuming that there is no life after death. They assume that those who die apart from God will simple cease to exist or will automatically go to heaven. The only hope for Chris McCandless is that as he had been born and raised in America, he would likely have heard the saving news of Jesus in his lifetime. Whether or not he turned to God in his hour of need we do not know, if he did, he makes no reference to it in his final writings. What can be more devastating than a life lived without hope and with no assurance of eternal life in heaven?

This tale gets worse in that as a result of McCandless's pointless death, at least three people renounced their faith in God. They turned away from the only source of true hope believing that a God of love would not have allowed this terrible thing to happen to someone they cared about. But, how real is our faith if we only worship God in the good times? Convincing ourselves that God isn't there and walking away from Him doesn't change the reality that we will one day stand before Him to give an account of our lives. One can only hope that these people were speaking out of their understandable grief and will be reconciled to God in due course.

These wanderings into the wilderness seeking spiritual experiences or a better understanding of self, seem to always end in a person either becoming more introverted and selfish or as in the case of McCandless dying a painful and senseless death at a young age. I can only imagine how those years were for his family. We are created to live in community and to serve and help each other, not to isolate ourselves and fixate on our problems.

The author observes that McCandless was searching for something but that he didn't know what it was. We are all searching for a purpose and meaning which can only be found in a relationship with God, our Creator. Sadly, neither McCandless or the author seem to have realised that. I guess the author is still searching. His comments about the workings of the mind in the many characters he describes are interesting but don't explain the reasons people really head off on these diversions.

Despite my observations, this was a good read. It is well researched and apart from the very strong language which was fairly frequent, it is well written with a lot of creative detail. Those who enjoy climbing/adventure books may want to read it and will probably better understand a lot of the technical terms employed by the author. There is no sexual content or violence. There are graphic descriptions of death.

This book will go someway to convincing people of the hopelessness and meaninglessness of life without God. It screams from the pages. Tragically, it is now too late for Chris McCandless, one can only pray that others sense their precarious position and are convicted and rescued as a result of his story. ( )
  sparkleandchico | Jun 2, 2017 |
Christopher McCandless's life and his death may have been meaningless, absurd, even reprehensible, but by the end of "Into the Wild," you care for him deeply.

Mr. Krakauer has taken the tale of a kook who went into the woods, and made of it a heart-rending drama of human yearning.

Krakauer, Jonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ferrari, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Franklin, PhilipNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mijn, Aad van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palma, Maria HelenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soares, Pedro MaiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zung, SabrinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Linda
Jim Gallien had driven four miles out of Fairbanks when he spotted the hitchhiker standing in the snow beside the road, thumb raised high, shivering in the gray Alaska dawn.
The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307387178, Paperback)

What would possess a gifted young man recently graduated from college to literally walk away from his life? Noted outdoor writer and mountaineer Jon Krakauer tackles that question in his reporting on Chris McCandless, whose emaciated body was found in an abandoned bus in the Alaskan wilderness in 1992.

Described by friends and relatives as smart, literate, compassionate, and funny, did McCandless simply read too much Thoreau and Jack London and lose sight of the dangers of heading into the wilderness alone? Krakauer, whose own adventures have taken him to the perilous heights of Everest, provides some answers by exploring the pull the outdoors, seductive yet often dangerous, has had on his own life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:52 -0400)

In April 1992 a young man from a well-to-do family hitchhiked to Alaska and walked alone into the wilderness north of Mt. McKinley. His name was Christopher Johnson McCandless. He had given $25,000 in savings to charity, abandoned his car and most of his possessions, burned all the cash in his wallet, and invented a new life for himself. Four months later, his decomposed body was found by a moose hunter. How McCandless came to die is the unforgettable story of Into the Wild.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,228,778 books! | Top bar: Always visible