Into the wild by Jon Krakauer

Into the wild (original 1996; edition 2007)

by Jon Krakauer

11,467306235 (3.89)1 / 315
Title:Into the wild
Authors:Jon Krakauer
Info:New York : Anchor Books, [2007]

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer (1996)

Walden by Henry David Thoreau (arztriper)
    Walden & On the Duty of Civil Disobedience by Henry David Thoreau (thiagobomfim)
    thiagobomfim: That is a history of a boy inspired by Thoreau and his masterpiece: Wladen.
    Eiger Dreams: Ventures Among Men and Mountains by Jon Krakauer (Ronoc)
    The Grizzly Maze: Timothy Treadwell's Fatal Obsession with Alaskan Bears by Nick Jans (stephmo)
    stephmo: Both books deal with idealists and end in Alaska. Both stories present a certain mythology available only from the Alaskan wilderness.
    The Autobiography of a Super-Tramp by W. H. Davies (Polaris-)
    Survivre en Ville... quand tout s'arrête ! : Vivre sans électricité... et sans eau potable, sans nourriture, sans médicaments... by Jade Allegre (houseandflat)
    Sukkwan Island by David Vann (raton-liseur)
    raton-liseur: Il peut paraître étrange de rapprocher ces deux livres. Pourtant ils sont entrés en résonance lorsque je les ai lus à un an d’intervalle. Tous les deux sont sombres puisqu’il y est question de mort, et tous les deux ont pour fond la beauté rude des paysages glacials de l’Alaska. C’est cette confrontation fatale entre le blanc de la neige et le noir de la mort qui m’a saisie dans ces deux livres, même si les raisons qui sous-tendent ces deux quêtes vers les paysages du Grand Nord sont (à première vue) sans point commun.… (more)
    The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (Graphirus)
    The Golden Spruce: A True Story of Myth, Madness, and Greed by John Vaillant (Anonymous user)
    Finding Everett Ruess: The Life and Unsolved Disappearance of a Legendary Wilderness Explorer by David Roberts (amyblue)
    amyblue: Both books attempt to solve the mystery of how a young man disappeared in the wilderness on a quest for beauty and an authentic life.
    Arctic Daughter by Jean Aspen (suniru)
    Cold Burial: A True Story of Endurance and Disaster by Clive Powell-Williams (bluetongue)
    Scenes in America Deserta by Reyner Banham (nilsr)
    American Nomads: Travels with Lost Conquistadors, Mountain Men, Cowboys, Indians, Hoboes, Truckers, and Bullriders by Richard Grant (cwflatt)
    On the Road by Jack Kerouac (thiagobomfim)
    Hunger by Knut Hamsun (nilsr)
    Drop City by T. C. Boyle (suniru)
    Off the Map by Hib (Anonymous user)

English (288)  Italian (5)  German (3)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (306)
Into the Wild is a mix between a biography and a novel. The book centers around the life of Chris McCandless, a 23 year old boy who begins a journey across the United States in an effort to live a life that would be looked upon in high regard by Tolstoy, who denounced all kinds of materialistic things. McCandless' journey took a sad turn as his body was found in Alaska a couple of years after his adventure had begun. What makes his story so interesting is that it has inspired debate till this day. Some people defend McCandless, saying he is just an innocent boy in search of his true self. While on the other hand, people view McCandless as a stupid, overconfident kid who wanted nothing else but attention. Into the Wild is an easy and fast read. Krakauer narrates the story beautifully as he portrays the facts and the many encounters McCandless had in a seemingly objective way. Krakauer doesn't seem to give any personal insight through his narration and thus leaves the reader able to create his own opinion on McCandless and his journey. I believe that McCandless was not just an overconfident, reckless individual, but rather someone searching for himself. In my opinion, he didn't necessarily want to leave this world, but he died happily all the same as a result of what he learned on his journey. ( )
  ConnorLynnCSH | Nov 5, 2015 |
This book was required for my Fiction/Nonfiction Crossover class, but I enjoyed reading it. It is definitely intense... I still don't really know how I feel about it. It's been popping into my head randomly since I closed the cover for the final time; my thoughts are totally jumbled. Especially after I googled pictures of Chris McCandless... that changed my opinion quite drastically. I knew as I was reading, of course, that he was a real person, but seeing his photographs hit the whole point home.

He's always smiling, and why shouldn't he? He did what he wanted. He went out on the adventure he worked his whole life for... In his last photo (waving and holding the note) he's incredibly gaunt, but still smiling... Is he putting on an act because he knew the film would eventually be developed and shown to the public, including his family? Or is he genuinely happy that he experienced all he did, even though it killed him? ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
To view an annotated bibliography of this title written for EDLI200, expand the spoiler entry below:

Young Adult

Estimated age level of interest:
Middle-Upper Grades

Estimated reading level:
Grade 8

Brief description:
Journalist and author Jon Krakauer relates the story of how a young man named Christopher McCandless met a tragic end in the Alaskan wilderness.

At least 2 characteristics of this genre and subgenre and how they appear in this book:
Good nonfiction helps to satisfy the young person’s curiosity about the world around them and addresses specific areas of interest that they may have. “Into the Wild” is a great example of nonfiction that breaks from the “informational resource” mold and follows an engaging narrative that still helps readers to better understand the world in relation to their own interests. For the young reader who is interested in travelling and the great outdoors, this book will hold their attention from start to finish and leave them with a greater appreciation for the diversity found through different regions of our countries as well as the powerful experiences to be had in nature.

Well-crafted nonfiction can also help motivate young people to read more and may claim a special place in their hearts if found at the right time in their life. This has been my experience with this particular book. In rural Vermont, there is no shortage of young outdoorsman with a hunger for adventure. “Into the Wild” has captivated even some of the most reluctant readers I have come across simply by speaking to their interests and allowing them to forge a strong sentimental connection with Chris McCandless and his story.

In what ways and how well does the book as a whole serve its intended audience?
“Into the Wild” is one of those books that fills a niche with the young readers at my school who often find themselves without books that catch their interest once they have finished with our Gary Paulsen collection. They love outdoor survival stories, but eventually grow tired of the same old fictional “last in the wilderness” stories they have read time-and-time again. I have also found these readers gravitate more toward realistic fiction and have little use for fantasy literature. This makes “Into the Wild” a perfect segue for them into the world of narrative nonfiction and has helped me to keep this demographic engaged and reading.

Awards, if any:
ALA Notable Children's Books 1997
New York Public Library Books for the Teen Age 1998
Booklist starred 12/01/95
Kirkus Reviews starred 10/15/95
Kliatt starred 09/01/97

Links to published, professional reviews, if any:
The New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/books/97/05/18/reviews/krakauer-wild.html

Several reviews available on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SEFNMS?ie=UTF8&isInIframe=1&n=13314...

Kirkus: https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/jon-krakauer/into-the-wild/
  nphill85 | Oct 12, 2015 |
This book is a true account of adventures of Chris Mccandless and is structured and presented beautifully by Jon Krakauer.
As far as rating this book is concerned, I really can't judge a real life story and glorify or undermine it by measuring it with just five or less stars. Neither I am capable of rating a person's life.
Although this story does polarise people opinions about itself and maybe I am also one of them but I will keep my opinion to myself and let you judge yourself after reading it.
But I would definitely want to add that this book has the potential of being a mirror and lens equally to learn some positive and negative things about life and human behaviour.
The story is tragic or seems tragic to the outsiders eye. Though I coined the term 'true account' earlier you should keep in mind that this is not an autobiography so the reader is only left to assume the thoughts and feelings of Chris by the only journal writings he left behind.
Krakauer does a good job of representing the facts and adding anecdotes,quotes of personalities similar to Mccandless and numerous references from Books of Tolstoy and Thoraeu from which Chris was greatly influenced to paint an overall picture which Krakauer wanted to convey to readers.
The writer also adds his own experiences of an adventure he undertook in his youth and tries to compare the line of thought of his and Mccandless to make us understand better what Chris was trying to do.
Not only this book was about Chris but also about the people which he influenced along his journey including his parents. We get to know their memories and opinions about Chris by numerous interviews taken by Krakauer himself.
Final verdict.. I was amazed by the life of Mccandless and if you ask me you should read this book. Its hard to forget this one.
The book was quite readable and is definetely re readable. It is a treasure of unique experiences which we may not have the privelage or the need to experience in our lifetime but yes we can read it and may be may be learn a thing or two.

I'll end this review by a poem
""Wander lust oh wander lust
Inside or outside...
Did you define or did you destroy me...
Does it matter...does it matter if I immensely enjoyed thee.""
  Shivam_Singh | Sep 5, 2015 |
Jon Krakauer does it again. Krakauer has a gift for being able to tell you in the first chapter how the book will end, yet still keep you desperate to know what happens. He always writes about his own experiences or passions, which is part of what makes his books so compelling, but in this book he admits to feeling an emotional kinship with Chris McCandless, and a driving need to get at the answers to the question of "why?" Well researched, well written, and full of heart, this book had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. ( )
  bkwurm | Aug 9, 2015 |
Christopher McCandless's life and his death may have been meaningless, absurd, even reprehensible, but by the end of "Into the Wild," you care for him deeply.
Mr. Krakauer has taken the tale of a kook who went into the woods, and made of it a heart-rending drama of human yearning.

Krakauer, Jonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ferrari, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Franklin, PhilipNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mijn, Aad van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palma, Maria HelenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soares, Pedro MaiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zung, SabrinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Linda
Jim Gallien had driven four miles out of Fairbanks when he spotted the hitchhiker standing in the snow beside the road, thumb raised high, shivering in the gray Alaska dawn.
The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307387178, Paperback)

What would possess a gifted young man recently graduated from college to literally walk away from his life? Noted outdoor writer and mountaineer Jon Krakauer tackles that question in his reporting on Chris McCandless, whose emaciated body was found in an abandoned bus in the Alaskan wilderness in 1992.

Described by friends and relatives as smart, literate, compassionate, and funny, did McCandless simply read too much Thoreau and Jack London and lose sight of the dangers of heading into the wilderness alone? Krakauer, whose own adventures have taken him to the perilous heights of Everest, provides some answers by exploring the pull the outdoors, seductive yet often dangerous, has had on his own life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:52 -0400)

A portrait of Chris McCandless chronicles his decision to withdraw from society and adopt the persona of Alexander Supertramp, offering insight into his beliefs about the wilderness and his tragic death in the Alaskan wilderness.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,883,513 books! | Top bar: Always visible