Winning the Wallflower [novella] by Eloisa…

Winning the Wallflower [novella]

by Eloisa James

Standard James fare with the fairy tale connection a nice twist. The primary and secondary characters are quite engaging. ( )
  moekane | May 2, 2015 |
Cute light short historical romance centered around a brief courtship. Interesting sequence of events and it took awhile but I liked it when the heroine honestly stated her opinions. Lady Lucy comes into money and encouraged by her mother breaks her engagement to merchant Cyrus.
  Dawn772 | Jan 29, 2015 |
This is not a sequel to [b:When Beauty Tamed the Beast|8449698|When Beauty Tamed the Beast (Fairy Tales, #2)|Eloisa James|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1282320694s/8449698.jpg|13313623], it is not related to that book in any way. This is a prequel to [b:The Duke Is Mine|9521508|The Duke Is Mine (Fairy Tales, #3)|Eloisa James|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1318293689s/9521508.jpg|14407475]. I usually like historical romances with wallflower theme, but this novella did not manage to engage my attention. ( )
  bookwormdreams | Apr 10, 2013 |
I loved this story! My only complaint is that I wish it had been longer. Almost half of the novella's pages are actually sneak peaks for other Eloisa books, which is fine except that as I was keeping an eye on where I was (page-wise) while I was reading it I was quite surprised when it just suddenly ended. I would have loved to have seen a bit more at the end, although the epilogue was fantastic.

Favorite parts of the novella:

Lucy--great character. I loved how she ended up coming into her own and really made Cyrus reexamine not only how he saw her but also himself. When she called him a dumba$$--too funny! Every time! :-)

Cyrus--Being able to see the development of the romance from his point of view as well as from Lucy's was really important here, because we were able to understand exactly why he acted the way he did. I just loved watching his character as he finally realized what living for and by his "lists" was doing to him as a person.

Pretty much every interaction between Lucy and Cyrus. Trademark Eloisa James material, and thoroughly enjoyable.

Epilogue--awesome! Really cute peek into what the future holds for these two.

All in all, it was a great set-up for her next novel, The Duke is Mine. It would have been great to have seen these two characters get their own novel instead of just a novella, but this was an enjoyable way to tide ourselves over until James's next full-size book comes out. For 99 cents, you really can't go wrong. ( )
  beckymmoe | Apr 3, 2013 |
2.5 stars

I’m not sure why people have labeled this book as historical romance. Yes, there is romance. Yes, it seems to take place in the Regency period, but other than the setting there is nothing historical about this novel. Not to mention it’s part of the Fairy Tale Series, which tells you right there this is not historical. That’s neither here or there, but I just wanted to put it out there for anyone who expects a historical novel.

This novella was charming and funny…a typical Eloisa James story I’ve come to expect. Yes, the characters sprout modern day ideas and phrases but if you take it for what it is this story is enjoyable. Lady Lucy Towerton, appropriately named due her height, was a smart heroine. I couldn’t help root for her as she took on her stubborn fiancée and fought for the type of relationship she wanted. I also thought this was a good introduction to Olivia Lytton and her mum. It’s not necessary to read this one before A Duke is Mine, but it helps give a taste of Olivia’s character. Overall, this was an enjoyable quick read.
  Jaguar897 | Mar 31, 2013 |

A delightful ebook original novella from New York Times bestselling author Eloisa James. Winning the Wallflower introduces Lucy and her best friend Olivia—who just happens to be the heroine in Eloisa’s next book, The Duke Is Mine. Includes lengthy bonus excerpts from 4 other titles.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,935,704 books! | Top bar: Always visible