Maggie's Journey by Lena Nelson Dooley

I was drawn into the story by the wonderful prologue, but ended up quite disappointed in the remainder of the story. I had a difficult time getting past the self loathing of Maggie and her mother in the early phases of the story and it seemed to drag out afterwards. The story itself is a good one and the Christian theme is well done, however, it was lacking something for me in the overall execution. ( )
  StephLaymon | Jan 26, 2016 |
Maggie's Journey takes a through a period in Maggie's life when she is facing struggles, disappointment and rejection. Our author, Lena Nelson Dooley, takes us on both a physical journey as Maggie travels from Seattle to Little Rock to her grandmothers, as well as a spiritual and emotional journey as Maggie makes a discovery that makes her question not only her parent's love but also God's love,
One of the main strengthsof the book is the way Dooley allows her characters to struggle, fail, be disappointed. An example of this is Maggie and her mother's strained relationship. Her mother's rejection and disapproval affects Maggie's thought life, the way she perceives herself, and the way she in turn interacts with others.
I found the most 'real' character to be the grandmother. Her interaction with her three guests as well as those working for her showed a strong, sensible loving womman. After seeming strong in the very beginning, I found Charles' character as written at the end a bit fairytale. The storyline flows well and is easy to follow though fairly predictabe. The ending is extremely rushed. Those things we have spent many chapters anticipating would be sweet to savor for a bit. ( )
  Books4Nana | Apr 12, 2014 |
Margaret Lenora Caine (Maggie) finds a chest in the attic where she discovers that she was adopted. Why was she never told the truth? Why did her real parents give her away? Maggie's life has become one filled with questions and uncertainty. It doesn't help that her mother is so critical of her either. Maggie would like to design women's clothing but her mother doesn't want her to do that. Maggie's grandmother is a well-known designer and when she asks Maggie to come for a visit, she welcomes the opportunity. Her father agrees to let her go if she takes her Aunt Georgia, as her companion, and his business partner, Charles Stanton, for safety while traveling. Will Maggie's Journey help her find the answers she seeking?

I thoroughly enjoyed Maggie's Journey. The story was as beautiful as the cover. And although Maggie does take a journey by train to her grandmother's house, it was also a journey of discovery, for not only Maggie but those around her. I felt like I was on the train and could hear the clickity clack of the wheels and feel the swaying of the car as we rode along. The story had a nice easy pace which I found very pleasing. It was fun getting to know all the characters. The author made you feel their struggles and their triumphs. Things that were very relateable. I'm sure all of us have questioned what God was doing or if he even cared, at some point in our lives. The verse that kept coming to mind while I was reading was "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." The author did a great job of bringing that verse to life in this story. This is Book one in the McKenna's Daughters Series. If you enjoy historical fiction with a budding romance as well as an encouraging message, then I would recommend Maggie's Journey. All-Aboard!!
Paperback: 304 pages
Publisher: Realms (October 4, 2011)
ISBN-10: 1616383585
ISBN-13: 978-1616383589

*This complimentary copy was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review* ( )
  love2readnovels | Aug 2, 2012 |
Maggie Caine thought she knew who she was and where she came from. But after discovering that she was secretly adopted shortly after birth, she feels betrayed by her parents. Desiring to escape the tension and turmoil in her home and her heart, she requests to visit her grandmother in Arkansas. Maggie's father agrees to her petition with the stipulation that her Aunt Georgia and Charles Stanton, her father's young business partner, accompany her. Almost immediately Charles is taken with Georgia and Maggie feels out of place. But as Maggie's trip progresses and truths are revealed, Charles takes more of an interest in Maggie. However, Maggie must first discover who she is and what truly matters to her.

Maggie's Journey by Lena Nelson Dooley was a pleasant surprise to me. I'm not sure what I expected, but I got a book that is worthy of keeping. Maggie's Journey tackles the difficult issue of the natural desire that a person has to know his or her birth parent. Many readers, including myself, will be able to relate to this issue. The characters and plot were very well written. By integrating romance into the fictional plot, Dooley creates a novel that will entertain and touch the heart. I recommend to fans of Christian fiction.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher as part of FIRST Wild Card Tours. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising." ( )
  Sneezybee23 | Dec 13, 2011 |

Near her eighteenth birthday, Margaret Lenora Caine finds a chest hidden in the attic containing proof that she's adopted. The spoiled daughter of wealthy merchants in Seattle, she feels betrayed by her real parents and by the ones who raised her. But mystery surrounds her new discovery, and when Maggie uncovers another family secret, she loses all sense of identity. Leaving her home in Seattle, Washington, Maggie strikes out to find her destiny. Will Charles Stanton, who's been in love with her for years, be able to help her discover who she really is?

Near her eighteenth birthday, Margaret Lenora Caine fins a chest hidden in the attic containing proof that she was adopted. The daughter of wealthy merchants in Seattle, she feels betrayed both by her real parents and by the ones who raised her.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,623,465 books! | Top bar: Always visible