Dark Earth by Jason Halstead

Dark Earth

by Jason Halstead

433267,810 (3)None

Good idea for a story but not well written ( )
  Belles007 | Jan 17, 2016 |
This novel started strong - the characters were interesting, the writing good and the emotions portrayed convincing and powerful. Eric's dedication to his daughter was admirable and Jessica was appealing and interesting. There were some truly tense scenes and good horror/suspense novel fare. Then things started to go downhill. The warder was a weak and pointless character, serving only to dump some information and then essentially commit suicide in a truly stupid manner. And it deteriorated further when Jessica crossed the bridge and Eric trailed after her.

Firstly - I get the impression that Jessica crossed the bridge on her voalition - nobody had captured her or whatnot, so why was it just immediately assumed she had been captured by the Evil King (cliche)? The squalid, dark and nasty lives of the peasants seemed exaggerated and unnecessary, with the only ray of light being the Smith. Now, there's a tale I would like to hear more of. Instead, it appears as though the author no longer wanted to make much effort - plot points were rushed; emotions were told, not shown and there was repetition of phrases and other such grammatic errors that choke the plot and show that the editor lost interest about partway through (and with good reason, as so did I).

Dark Earth was nowhere near as interesting as Mundania (and can you say "rip-off", I could not help but think of Xanth and Florida). It was a generic fantasy kingdom ruled by greed. Yawn. And as for the concept of the Dark Earthians taking over our world - well, that's ridiculous, given their fickle loyalties, their selfish behaviour and their primitive weaponry, I would say it was all one big farce.

And why was Jessica - by far the most interesting character - relegated to little more than a trophy to be rescued and owned. She served no purpose and showed little initiative throughout the latter part of the plot. I would suggest that the author were to step back from the first person narrative - something like this would be much stronger were we able to see what Jessica was going through - to discover who had captured her as she went through the gate and to feel her distress at watching her father tormented. ( )
  LemurKat | Sep 12, 2013 |
From Lilac Wolf and Stuff

I found this ebook free on Amazon and I thought it looked like something I would read should I ever have the time. Well this weekend I found myself stuck in a kindergarten class with nothing but my blackberry...which thankfully had this loaded in the kindle reader on it. I thought it looked very dark and exciting, but it starts out like a chick lit kind of story. Eric loses his wife in a car accident but his unborn baby girl is saved. They move back to Norther Michigan (my backyard) and set up home there for the past 11 years.

Then the man who killed his wife shows up and tries to murder his daughter. Now that's the only thing that bugged me because the detective said the crash was ruled an accident. But then the detective says: "he was out in seven years for good behavior." Now why would the guy get jail time for something ruled an accident? I'm not a lawyer though, but it seemed odd to get that much time when the guy was clean.

So I'm seriously wondering if I am reading the wrong story here, where are the werewolves and witches and stuff...oh yeah...right about here he smacks you with it. And don't get me wrong here, it's not boring at ANY point in this book. But right about this point it gets insane...

I want to go on and on, but I can't. The girl is 13 and very bright but still very much a kid. I love how he wrote her character because you can't help but adore her, but as very bright she is he doesn't (as so many authors have) forget she is still a kid. Even Harry Potter wasn't very childlike. And Eric, Jess's father, he's such a manly man...I think I have a crush on him. lol Living about as far north in Michigan as you can, to where the power company hasn't even gotten out there yet...fishing for his income...and then kicking ass for his little girl. Eric rules!

*squeal* just saw this is book 1. I wonder if there's a book 2 out yet...

Yes you should get this book. It's one of those where you get to the end and have to stop and breath for a little bit. And it has it's moments of violence but I think it could easily be appropriate for young adults. ( )
  lilacwolf | May 7, 2012 |

Book 1 of the Dark Earth series

Eric's dreams were shattered when his wife was taken from him by a reckless driver on a snowy Alaskan road. All that remained was his newborn daughter, Jessica. Uprooting to provide a safer life for his child, Eric moved back home to northern Michigan.

Thirteen years later with Jessica raising the bar in everything she does, darkness returns to the Baxter's life in the form of a crazed gunman. Surviving the assassin and seeking answers, Eric has to dig into the secrets of an unbelievable past hidden between the pages of history.

Dark Earth series books:

Book 1: Dark Earth

Book 2: Devil's Icebox

Book 3: Soul Mates

Dark Earth setting books:

Voices

Bounty

The Lost Girls series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,759,896 books! | Top bar: Always visible