Wonder by R. J. Palacio
    Firegirl by Tony Abbott (kaledrina)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Both stories involve a highly-challenged child with a supportive family and friends. The girl in Out of My Mind has cerebral palsy.
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (bell7)
    The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (FFortuna)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (bookel)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Alexandra.Moraiti)
    Alexandra.Moraiti: They are both well written compassionate, funny and humane books. Although Wonder isn't about a boy with a disability , both books tell the story of two individuals that manage the socially imposed difficulties of their 'conditions'. The narration in both is in first person in Wonder by August Pullman(Auggie ), his friends and family, and in The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-time by Christopher Boone, a boy with Asperger's Syndrome.… (more)
    Kristy's Courage by Babbis Friis (bookel)
    If at Birth You Don't Succeed: My Adventures with Disaster and Destiny by Zach Anner (2wonderY)
    2wonderY: Success beyond physics with personality.
    Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Both are similarly moving stories about approaching difficult issues with kindness and compassion.
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    So Much to Tell You by John Marsden (bookel)

English (702)  Catalan (6)  German (4)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  All (1)  All (719)
10 year old Auggie is headed for middle school for the first time in his life. He has been living with a facial deformity for his whole life. The book, told from Auggie's perspective as well as the people around him, shows how kindness goes a long way.
  kathleenkarakey | Apr 23, 2017 |
This book is about a young boy who has a rare facial deformity. He has to deal with going to school, making friends, and an abusive father.
  morganlasher | Apr 21, 2017 |
Fourth grade teaches this at my school, so I've been privileged enough to hear snippets of it. I then stole a copy once the fourth grade was finished (I'll have to steal A Long Walk to Water later, they did that next). I'm enjoying this greatly, but am not looking forward to the movie. ( )
  benuathanasia | Apr 20, 2017 |
I really enjoyed reading the book Wonder. It starts off by the main character August telling the reader how he is "deformed" and his been homeschooled his whole life due to sickness. However, this year he will be attending school for the first time. You assume the whole book is going to be about August telling his story as the new kid with the weird face, but its not. The book is broken up into eight parts. Each part is told in a different perspective from a important character in the story. They all speak about their lives and about August in their point of view. The book also gives off the message, don't judge a book by its cover. The students learn that underneath August's looks, he's a great kid and an even better friend. ( )
  katelynzemlak | Apr 18, 2017 |
I really enjoyed this book for many reasons. First, I liked how the story was told by multiple perspectives, not just the main character. I also liked how powerful the message of the story was. It was a very relatable story for anyone reading it and I think that was great. For me, I felt for August, my heart ached for him even though he was so brave and courageous throughout the book. August thought to himself one point in the book, “To me, though, I’m just me. An ordinary kid.” To me, this quote sums up his bravery. Through other eyes august was different, but I love that towards the end of the book his bravery really showed and his maturity was starting to develop. Bullying was a one of the big themes in this book, but august overcame all the bullies by being himself. I think that is also very important. He did not let anyone stand in his way even though he may have been different than other students. I loved watching the main character grow throughout the novel, and it added to the story that we could see it through the eyes of different characters. I liked that we saw how difficult things got for August, but we could watch him excel past them. I also like how many different messages there are in the novel. For one, we all may look different, but we can all accomplish the same things if we try hard enough. Another is that kindness can go a long way. In one of the chapters, the author writes, “If every single person in this room made it a rule that wherever you are, whenever you can, you will try to act a little kinder than is necessary—the world really would be a better place.” This quote is what makes the whole novel important. ( )
  ElenaPuig | Apr 18, 2017 |
This chapter is about a young boy who has a facial deformity. Being home schooled throughout his elementary years, Auggie's parents decide to put him into a private middle school. He soon makes friends, but like any typical middle school bullies lurk throughout. This book describes how Auggie deals with his deformity and bullies. Auggie's character is so positive and it shows how one can endure certain things with a good attitude. This book is for middle school students. It can help deal with bullies and deformities. It can also be massed to show how different point of views can change the story.

Dieses Buch begeistert alle Altersgruppen. Das oft genutzte Motiv, dass es auf die inneren Werte ankommt, wird hier neu und ohne mahnenden Zeigefinger umgesetzt. Durch wechselnde Perspektiven kann der Leser nicht nur die Gefühle und Handlungen Auggies, sondern auch die seines Umfeldes verstehen. Der Leser entwickelt sich mit den sympathischen Charakteren. Die flüssige Sprache und die zahlreichen Details lassen die Geschichte persönlich und lebensnah wirken. Der Roman berührt den Leser und regt zum Nachdenken an.

Doctors have come from distant cities/just to see me/stand over my bed/disbelieving what they're seeing,
They say I must be one of the wonders/of god's own creation/and as far as they can see they can offer/no explanation
-Natalie Marchant, "Wonder"
For Russell, Caleb, and Joseph
I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid.
Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
Mr. Browne's Precepts: September - When given the choice between being righ or being kind, choose kind. -Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
February - It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. -James Thurber
March - Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. -Blaise Pascal
May - Do all the good you can,/By all the means you can,/In all the ways you can,/In all the places you can,/At all the times you can,/To all the people you can,/As long as you ever can. -John Wesley's Rule
Shall we make a new rule of life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary? -J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird
"Kinder than is necessary," he [Mr. Tushman] repeated. What a marvelous line, isn't it? Kinder than is necesary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed. Why I love that line, that concept, is that it reminds me that we carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of knindness. -Palacio, p. 300
... Joseph recognized the face of God in human form. It glimmered in their kindness to him, it glowed in their keenness, it hinted in their caring, ideed it caressed in their gaze. - Christopher Nolan, Under the Eye of the Clock
"It glimmered in their kindness to him ... Such a simple thing, kindness. Such a simple thing. A nice word of encouragment given when needed. An act of friendship. A passing smile." -Palacio, p. 300.
It's like how compass needles always point north, no matter which way you're facing. All those eyes are compasses, and I'm like the North Pole to them. [Auggie, 206]
I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives. [Auggie, 231]

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunts and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.

Born with a terrible facial abnormality, Auggie Pullman is shy, bright ten-year-old who has been home-schooled by his parents for his whole life, in an attempt to protect him from the stares and cruelty of the outside world. Now, for the first time, Auggie is being sent to a real school - and he's dreading it.
Menino com rosto
de quem todos fugia
brilha a luz do dia

(juliocutrim)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375869026, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month for Kids, February 2012: Wonder is a rare gem of a novel--beautifully written and populated by characters who linger in your memory and heart. August Pullman is a 10-year-old boy who likes Star Wars and Xbox, ordinary except for his jarring facial anomalies. Homeschooled all his life, August heads to public school for fifth grade and he is not the only one changed by the experience--something we learn about first-hand through the narratives of those who orbit his world. August’s internal dialogue and interactions with students and family ring true, and though remarkably courageous he comes across as a sweet, funny boy who wants the same things others want: friendship, understanding, and the freedom to be himself. “It is only with one’s heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.” From The Little Prince and R.J. Palacio’s remarkable novel, Wonder.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:57 -0400)

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunting and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,784,156 books! | Top bar: Always visible