Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Wonder

by R. J. Palacio

Series: Wonder (1)

Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Both stories involve a highly-challenged child with a supportive family and friends. The girl in Out of My Mind has cerebral palsy.
    Firegirl by Tony Abbott (kaledrina)
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (bell7)
    The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (FFortuna)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Alexandra.Moraiti)
    Alexandra.Moraiti: They are both well written compassionate, funny and humane books. Although Wonder isn't about a boy with a disability , both books tell the story of two individuals that manage the socially imposed difficulties of their 'conditions'. The narration in both is in first person in Wonder by August Pullman(Auggie ), his friends and family, and in The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-time by Christopher Boone, a boy with Asperger's Syndrome.… (more)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (bookel)
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    Kristy's Courage by Babbis Friis (bookel)
    If at Birth You Don't Succeed: My Adventures with Disaster and Destiny by Zach Anner (2wonderY)
    2wonderY: Success beyond physics with personality.
    Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Both are similarly moving stories about approaching difficult issues with kindness and compassion.
    So Much to Tell You by John Marsden (bookel)

English (954)  Catalan (7)  Spanish (5)  German (4)  French (3)  Italian (2)  Japanese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (977)
I really enjoyed this book! One reason I really liked this book were the different point of views. Throughout the book the story was told from Auggies, Jack Will, Olivia, and Justin perspectives. Another reason I liked this book was the writing. I could not put the book down while I was reading, it was organized very well and just kept flowing. For an example, there are 123 ‘chapters’ in the book. I know it seems like a lot but the chapters were only maybe about 2-3 pages long and they were sectioned correctly and had really important information and context in each ‘chapter’ and I really enjoyed that. The big idea in the book is to not judge a book by its cover and be accepting to others. ( )
  jennkosakowski | Feb 19, 2019 |
August (Auggie) Pullman is a 10 year old Star Wars fanatic. He has never been to school, due to his facial abnormalities and all the necessary procedures he's required to have. When his parents decide to sign him up for school for his fifth grade year, they are apprehensive, but they know it is time. August meets the idea with much resistance and anger, but slowly begins to accept the idea. When he tours the school he meets a group of students who are charged with taking him on a tour. He quickly learns that Jack, one of the kids, is in all of his classes. Jack wants to be friends with August but he struggles to maintain other friendships due to his friendship with August. Told through multiple character's points of view, we get to experience the story from different characters, and we quickly realize the impact August Pullman has had on everyone at Beecher Prep. ( )
  Brianna.Andrea | Feb 18, 2019 |
I loved reading this book. I loved this book for two main reasons. The first reason was, each part of the book was told from a different person's point of view. For example, one part of the book was from the viewpoint of Augies sister, Via. In her section Via talked about going to a new school and having no one know her or about Augie. I also liked the message, it told children. It teaches children acceptance. For example, at camp all of Augie's friends stood up for him and defended him. The overall message of this book is to not judge a book by its cover, and what's inside matters. ( )
  JessieAnderson | Feb 18, 2019 |
I thought that this was an AMAZING read. I had never even heard of this story until the book was sitting right in front of me. I was blown away by the power of the book. I thought that it was well written, it was powerful, and it even brought me to tear a couple of times. I would recommend this book to just about anyone. In the book August talked about how everyone deserves a "standing ovation" and the fact that the book ended with him receiving one after earning the award was just completely beautiful. The plot is set up in a very interesting way, but in a very good way. There are many different people talking and so readers get to see everything from many different points of view. For example, when August heard Jack talking to Julian about how he was only friends with August because Mr. Tushman asked him too, I was so angry at Jack and I was so sad for August. But when we got to Jacks point of view, we could see why he did it and that he didn't really mean it. I genuinely enjoyed this book and could even see myself reading it again on my own free time, and getting everyone else to read it too. I think that the big picture in Wonder is to never judge a person based on what they look like. Looks mean absolutely nothing, you have to know someones personality to decide if they are a good person or not, everyone is so different in their own ways, and everyone should be accepting of that. ( )
  HopeFerguson | Feb 16, 2019 |
A great book, I enjoyed it more than the movie! Seeing many sides to the story gave it so much more depth. ( )
  cougargirl1967 | Feb 14, 2019 |
Dieses Buch begeistert alle Altersgruppen. Das oft genutzte Motiv, dass es auf die inneren Werte ankommt, wird hier neu und ohne mahnenden Zeigefinger umgesetzt. Durch wechselnde Perspektiven kann der Leser nicht nur die Gefühle und Handlungen Auggies, sondern auch die seines Umfeldes verstehen. Der Leser entwickelt sich mit den sympathischen Charakteren. Die flüssige Sprache und die zahlreichen Details lassen die Geschichte persönlich und lebensnah wirken. Der Roman berührt den Leser und regt zum Nachdenken an.

R. J. Palacioprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Doctors have come from distant cities/just to see me/stand over my bed/disbelieving what they're seeing,
They say I must be one of the wonders/of god's own creation/and as far as they can see they can offer/no explanation
-Natalie Marchant, "Wonder"
For Russell, Caleb, and Joseph
I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid.
Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
Mr. Browne's Precepts: September - When given the choice between being righ or being kind, choose kind. -Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
February - It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. -James Thurber
March - Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. -Blaise Pascal
May - Do all the good you can,/By all the means you can,/In all the ways you can,/In all the places you can,/At all the times you can,/To all the people you can,/As long as you ever can. -John Wesley's Rule
Shall we make a new rule of life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary? -J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird
"Kinder than is necessary," he [Mr. Tushman] repeated. What a marvelous line, isn't it? Kinder than is necesary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed. Why I love that line, that concept, is that it reminds me that we carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of knindness. -Palacio, p. 300
... Joseph recognized the face of God in human form. It glimmered in their kindness to him, it glowed in their keenness, it hinted in their caring, ideed it caressed in their gaze. - Christopher Nolan, Under the Eye of the Clock
"It glimmered in their kindness to him ... Such a simple thing, kindness. Such a simple thing. A nice word of encouragment given when needed. An act of friendship. A passing smile." -Palacio, p. 300.
It's like how compass needles always point north, no matter which way you're facing. All those eyes are compasses, and I'm like the North Pole to them. [Auggie, 206]
I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives. [Auggie, 231]

Plot Summary: Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring and overcoming the taunts of his classmates.

Extensions: acceptance, perseverance
Menino com rosto
de quem todos fugia
brilha a luz do dia

(juliocutrim)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375869026, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month for Kids, February 2012: Wonder is a rare gem of a novel--beautifully written and populated by characters who linger in your memory and heart. August Pullman is a 10-year-old boy who likes Star Wars and Xbox, ordinary except for his jarring facial anomalies. Homeschooled all his life, August heads to public school for fifth grade and he is not the only one changed by the experience--something we learn about first-hand through the narratives of those who orbit his world. August’s internal dialogue and interactions with students and family ring true, and though remarkably courageous he comes across as a sweet, funny boy who wants the same things others want: friendship, understanding, and the freedom to be himself. “It is only with one’s heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.” From The Little Prince and R.J. Palacio’s remarkable novel, Wonder.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:57 -0400)

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunting and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,533,297 books! | Top bar: Always visible