Wonder by R. J. Palacio
    Firegirl by Tony Abbott (kaledrina)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Both stories involve a highly-challenged child with a supportive family and friends. The girl in Out of My Mind has cerebral palsy.
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (bell7)
    The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (FFortuna)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (bookel)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Alexandra.Moraiti)
    Alexandra.Moraiti: They are both well written compassionate, funny and humane books. Although Wonder isn't about a boy with a disability , both books tell the story of two individuals that manage the socially imposed difficulties of their 'conditions'. The narration in both is in first person in Wonder by August Pullman(Auggie ), his friends and family, and in The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-time by Christopher Boone, a boy with Asperger's Syndrome.… (more)
    Kristy's Courage by Babbis Friis-Baastad (bookel)
    Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Both are similarly moving stories about approaching difficult issues with kindness and compassion.
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    So Much to Tell You by John Marsden (bookel)

English (470)  Catalan (4)  German (4)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (484)
Wonder is a story that teaches its readers not to judge a book by it's cover. You cannot determine what someone is capable of just by looking at them. It is only after you take the time to know them when you can find out. The book is written in many different viewpoints. There are several characters who narrate the story. This story can be really helpful for younger students to read. It encourages children to accept others and to try to do the right thing. I really loved this book. The big idea in this book is to treat people they way you want them to treat you and to be kind. ( )
1 vote fmccas1 | Oct 6, 2015 |
I wish everyone could read this book. Palacio caught Auggie's voice, his challenges and strengths so well, it just seems as if she had gone through it herself. Auggie is going to public school for the first time in his life. He doesn't know what challenges he's going to face, but he does know that he isn't going to be treated the same because of how he looks. Though there were many small moments throughout the book, they all stuck out. In particular, I loved when the author gave the story in many different voices aside from Auggie's. It gave us a view of how everyone around him felt- there are always three sides to a story: person A's side, person B's side, and the truth. This book is funny moving and thought provoking. The characters in the story are real and is wonderfully written. This is definitely a book that should be read by everyone- it def. made me think about how I was when I was younger and how I would have treated a child like that, and I'm sure after reading this book I may have acted a different way. ( )
1 vote AmellDubbaneh | Oct 6, 2015 |
"Wonder" is an incredible story that every reader can relate to. It takes you back through the hardships of being in middle school and just trying to fit in. The author does a great job explaining Auggie and his condition, not only through the main characters point of view, but also every other character that was touched upon. Each character gives a distinct description of Auggie and his abnormal condition, giving the reader a vivid picture in their mind. The book keeps the reader entertained by switching point of view and letting you see what each character is thinking at each major event. This switch up keeps the reader intrigued and want to keep reading because of how relatable each character is. This book is a great read because even though the reader may not be able to physically relate to Auggie, they will most definitely be able to relate emotionally. The big idea of this book was to bring light to a child with a problem and how even though they might look different on the outside, everyone feels the same way on the inside. ( )
1 vote JenniferNavarrete | Oct 5, 2015 |
Wonder is a spectacular fiction chapter book that is full of harsh realities and surprises. While maintaining the character of a young boy entering middle school for the first time (and even school alone), the story explores the minds of adolescent students and their perspectives throughout the school year. This book seems very realistic and extremely relatable, even to a junior in college. Auggie, the boy with a chromosomal disorder, faces many tragic experiences during his first year at a school. At one point, he over hears a “friend” of his talking about him to some mean kids behind his back. Auggie is heartbroken because one of his only friends had been a fraud the whole time and he felt foolish. At the end of the story, Auggie’s friend apologizes to him and they make up. Eventually, Auggie is the most popular kid in class and everybody loves him. “You are a wonder, Auggie, you are a wonder!” This book presents a wonderous story about the troubles that adolescents face in school and how they can overcome these troubles with friendship and a strong heart. I would recommend it to any middle school student. ( )
1 vote EllieCoe | Oct 5, 2015 |
I have been hearing about this book for 3 years. I didn't read it at first because I was nervous that it would be emotionally upsetting for me. Ever since I became a parent I find it hard to read books about sick kids. Anyway, my daughter is now 9 years old and this book seems to show up again and again in recommendations and in friends' schools' curriculum. So I thought I would read it so when she read it eventually I would be able to talk with her about it.
I loved it. What a beautiful book. I loved everything about it. I thought the characters were really well drawn and all of them interesting. I thought the story was fresh - but most of all - I loved that it is a book about kindness. Everyone needs to be more empathetic and kind. It was totally engrossing and an uplifting read. ( )
  alanna1122 | Oct 5, 2015 |
Dieses Buch begeistert alle Altersgruppen. Das oft genutzte Motiv, dass es auf die inneren Werte ankommt, wird hier neu und ohne mahnenden Zeigefinger umgesetzt. Durch wechselnde Perspektiven kann der Leser nicht nur die Gefühle und Handlungen Auggies, sondern auch die seines Umfeldes verstehen. Der Leser entwickelt sich mit den sympathischen Charakteren. Die flüssige Sprache und die zahlreichen Details lassen die Geschichte persönlich und lebensnah wirken. Der Roman berührt den Leser und regt zum Nachdenken an.
Doctors have come from distant cities/just to see me/stand over my bed/disbelieving what they're seeing,
They say I must be one of the wonders/of god's own creation/and as far as they can see they can offer/no explanation
-Natalie Marchant, "Wonder"
For Russell, Caleb, and Joseph
I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid.
Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
Mr. Browne's Precepts: September - When given the choice between being righ or being kind, choose kind. -Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
February - It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. -James Thurber
March - Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. -Blaise Pascal
May - Do all the good you can,/By all the means you can,/In all the ways you can,/In all the places you can,/At all the times you can,/To all the people you can,/As long as you ever can. -John Wesley's Rule
Shall we make a new rule of life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary? -J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird
"Kinder than is necessary," he [Mr. Tushman] repeated. What a marvelous line, isn't it? Kinder than is necesary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed. Why I love that line, that concept, is that it reminds me that we carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of knindness. -Palacio, p. 300
... Joseph recognized the face of God in human form. It glimmered in their kindness to him, it glowed in their keenness, it hinted in their caring, ideed it caressed in their gaze. - Christopher Nolan, Under the Eye of the Clock
"It glimmered in their kindness to him ... Such a simple thing, kindness. Such a simple thing. A nice word of encouragment given when needed. An act of friendship. A passing smile." -Palacio, p. 300.
It's like how compass needles always point north, no matter which way you're facing. All those eyes are compasses, and I'm like the North Pole to them. [Auggie, 206]
I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives. [Auggie, 231]

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunts and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.

Born with a terrible facial abnormality, Auggie Pullman is shy, bright ten-year-old who has been home-schooled by his parents for his whole life, in an attempt to protect him from the stares and cruelty of the outside world. Now, for the first time, Auggie is being sent to a real school - and he's dreading it.
Menino com rosto
de quem todos fugia
brilha a luz do dia

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375869026, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month for Kids, February 2012: Wonder is a rare gem of a novel--beautifully written and populated by characters who linger in your memory and heart. August Pullman is a 10-year-old boy who likes Star Wars and Xbox, ordinary except for his jarring facial anomalies. Homeschooled all his life, August heads to public school for fifth grade and he is not the only one changed by the experience--something we learn about first-hand through the narratives of those who orbit his world. August’s internal dialogue and interactions with students and family ring true, and though remarkably courageous he comes across as a sweet, funny boy who wants the same things others want: friendship, understanding, and the freedom to be himself. “It is only with one’s heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.” From The Little Prince and R.J. Palacio’s remarkable novel, Wonder.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:57 -0400)

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunting and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,763,744 books! | Top bar: Always visible