Wonder by R. J. Palacio
    Firegirl by Tony Abbott (kaledrina)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Both stories involve a highly-challenged child with a supportive family and friends. The girl in Out of My Mind has cerebral palsy.
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (bell7)
    The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (FFortuna)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (bookel)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Alexandra.Moraiti)
    Alexandra.Moraiti: They are both well written compassionate, funny and humane books. Although Wonder isn't about a boy with a disability , both books tell the story of two individuals that manage the socially imposed difficulties of their 'conditions'. The narration in both is in first person in Wonder by August Pullman(Auggie ), his friends and family, and in The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-time by Christopher Boone, a boy with Asperger's Syndrome.… (more)
    Kristy's Courage by Babbis Friis-Baastad (bookel)
    If at Birth You Don't Succeed: My Adventures with Disaster and Destiny (2wonderY)
    2wonderY: Success beyond physics with personality.
    Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Both are similarly moving stories about approaching difficult issues with kindness and compassion.
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    So Much to Tell You by John Marsden (bookel)

English (563)  Catalan (5)  German (4)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (578)
l ( )
1 vote lauri804 | Apr 21, 2016 |
The best book I've read in ages. Way more moving than Fault in our Stars! Just loved it ( )
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |
This was my favorite book I read this year for many reasons. The writer made the book engaging at all times. It was easy to follow along with and the language was detailed, and made you think. I loved how this book made me put myself in another person’s shoes. For example the author said, “I won’t describe what I look like. Whatever you’re thinking, it’s probably worse.” This was a line that made me think about what the character looked like. It made me use the context and got me thinking throughout the entire book. The whole book was relatable to all types of readers. The author talked about Auggie’s nervous before the first day of school, which is something that everyone deals with. I enjoyed how the book talked about his disability but also connected the conflicts to everything in a way. The text was powerful, and full of insightful thoughts, that made you think of life and conflicts in many ways. I felt for Auggie throughout the story, and it made me realize as a reader to be a kind, caring person, and accept everyone. As a teacher it made me realize that even though students may look differently to never underestimate them because they will surprise you with their intelligences and thoughts ( )
  tkoret1 | Apr 17, 2016 |
In my opinion I believe that everyone should read this book. The book has many points of views that help the reader gain a better understanding of the story. The author includes the perspective of a boy named August, that has a facial deformity, his sister, and friends. For example, August explains, “I won’t describe what I look like. Whatever you’re thinking, it’s probably worse.” The author explains August’s friends point of view to see what they are thinking. Additionally, the book pushes the reader to think about a tough issue. The author makes the reader think about how you would feel if everywhere you went you get strange looks and how you would feel if you were excluded from everything. Overall, the big idea to this story is acceptance. It’s important to accept everyone even though they may have an internal or external issue because no one likes to feel isolated. ( )
  eranda2 | Apr 17, 2016 |
There is so much more than just the incredible story of a deformed 5th grader facing his reality. As readers gain perspective through different viewpoints, Palacio introduces each character with a blackline illustration of their character’s face. His sister, Via, is introduced with a dark left eye, Summer with a clear left eye, and Jack with his right eye. Justin, Via’s boyfriend, has no eyes, but sports glasses. Discovering the symbolic value of these details is just one of many platforms for meaningful conversation in the classroom.

For example, August begins with an entirely blank face. As the story progresses, he gains a clear left eye with his hearing aid and he worries that people will stare. Later, he switches to a dark right eye, shaded with his parent’s and every other viewpoint, along with acceptance and understanding that his face does matter. An important thing to look for is the special edition of this novel, which includes The Julian Chapter…challenging your dislike of the bully. Interesting detail; Julian has both eyes, and they’re dark…
There are some incredibly powerful messages in this book. In the end, this story offers a full platform with various perspectives about the struggles and impact of people who are different and bullies in learning communities. For lesson ideas, check out the resources on the author’s website (http://rjpalacio.com/index.html). Brian Wilhorn, a reading/intervention teacher in Wisconsin, offers seriously amazing, complete resources to help readers see and hear what August is experiencing on Help Readers Love Reading (http://www.helpreaderslovereading.com/2012/03/wonder-by-r-j-palacio.html).

There’s a thorough unit on Oakland Schools’ website (https://oaklandk12-public.rubiconatlas.org/Atlas/Develop/UnitMap/View/Default?UnitID=16012&YearID=2013&SchoolID=19&TimePeriodID=21&SourceSiteID=&CurriculumMapID=746&) along with a lesson by lesson planner with blacklines (https://oaklandk12-public.rubiconatlas.org/Atlas/View/File?AttachmentID=19020&), and a 5th Grade blog detailing their use of Wonder with additional links (http://wildaboutfifthgrade.blogspot.com/2013/02/a-guest-blogging-we-will-go-wond...). Some additional sites worth visiting include StoryboardThat (http://www.storyboardthat.com/teacher-guide/wonder-by-r-j-palacio), and WebEnglishTeacher (http://www.webenglishteacher.com/palacio.html), with everything from vocabulary to reader’s theater. ( )
  frozenteacher | Apr 14, 2016 |
Dieses Buch begeistert alle Altersgruppen. Das oft genutzte Motiv, dass es auf die inneren Werte ankommt, wird hier neu und ohne mahnenden Zeigefinger umgesetzt. Durch wechselnde Perspektiven kann der Leser nicht nur die Gefühle und Handlungen Auggies, sondern auch die seines Umfeldes verstehen. Der Leser entwickelt sich mit den sympathischen Charakteren. Die flüssige Sprache und die zahlreichen Details lassen die Geschichte persönlich und lebensnah wirken. Der Roman berührt den Leser und regt zum Nachdenken an.

Doctors have come from distant cities/just to see me/stand over my bed/disbelieving what they're seeing,
They say I must be one of the wonders/of god's own creation/and as far as they can see they can offer/no explanation
-Natalie Marchant, "Wonder"
For Russell, Caleb, and Joseph
I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid.
Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
Mr. Browne's Precepts: September - When given the choice between being righ or being kind, choose kind. -Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
February - It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. -James Thurber
March - Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. -Blaise Pascal
May - Do all the good you can,/By all the means you can,/In all the ways you can,/In all the places you can,/At all the times you can,/To all the people you can,/As long as you ever can. -John Wesley's Rule
Shall we make a new rule of life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary? -J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird
"Kinder than is necessary," he [Mr. Tushman] repeated. What a marvelous line, isn't it? Kinder than is necesary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed. Why I love that line, that concept, is that it reminds me that we carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of knindness. -Palacio, p. 300
... Joseph recognized the face of God in human form. It glimmered in their kindness to him, it glowed in their keenness, it hinted in their caring, ideed it caressed in their gaze. - Christopher Nolan, Under the Eye of the Clock
"It glimmered in their kindness to him ... Such a simple thing, kindness. Such a simple thing. A nice word of encouragment given when needed. An act of friendship. A passing smile." -Palacio, p. 300.
It's like how compass needles always point north, no matter which way you're facing. All those eyes are compasses, and I'm like the North Pole to them. [Auggie, 206]
I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives. [Auggie, 231]

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunts and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.

Born with a terrible facial abnormality, Auggie Pullman is shy, bright ten-year-old who has been home-schooled by his parents for his whole life, in an attempt to protect him from the stares and cruelty of the outside world. Now, for the first time, Auggie is being sent to a real school - and he's dreading it.
Menino com rosto
de quem todos fugia
brilha a luz do dia

(juliocutrim)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375869026, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month for Kids, February 2012: Wonder is a rare gem of a novel--beautifully written and populated by characters who linger in your memory and heart. August Pullman is a 10-year-old boy who likes Star Wars and Xbox, ordinary except for his jarring facial anomalies. Homeschooled all his life, August heads to public school for fifth grade and he is not the only one changed by the experience--something we learn about first-hand through the narratives of those who orbit his world. August’s internal dialogue and interactions with students and family ring true, and though remarkably courageous he comes across as a sweet, funny boy who wants the same things others want: friendship, understanding, and the freedom to be himself. “It is only with one’s heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.” From The Little Prince and R.J. Palacio’s remarkable novel, Wonder.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:57 -0400)

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunting and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,253,823 books! | Top bar: Always visible