Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Wonder

by R. J. Palacio

Firegirl by Tony Abbott (kaledrina)
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (bell7)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Both stories involve a highly-challenged child with a supportive family and friends. The girl in Out of My Mind has cerebral palsy.
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (bookel)
    The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (FFortuna)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Alexandra.Moraiti)
    Alexandra.Moraiti: They are both well written compassionate, funny and humane books. Although Wonder isn't about a boy with a disability , both books tell the story of two individuals that manage the socially imposed difficulties of their 'conditions'. The narration in both is in first person in Wonder by August Pullman(Auggie ), his friends and family, and in The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-time by Christopher Boone, a boy with Asperger's Syndrome.… (more)
    Kristy's Courage by Babbis Friis-Baastad (bookel)
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    So Much to Tell You by John Marsden (bookel)

English (324)  Spanish (3)  German (3)  Catalan (3)  French (2)  All languages (335)
I loved this story. It would have been a favorite of mine when I was 10/9-11.

I finally got to it because of a recommendation from Izzy; I’m so glad that it didn’t languish forever on my to read list, as do most of my “to read” books.

I loved August’s voice so much that at first I was disappointed when another voice/several characters’ voices started narrating the story. However, I ended up really appreciating the multiple perspectives. All of the kids’ points of view are done perfectly, both the fifth graders and the ninth graders.

I had heard that there was one, and I could tell ahead of time what the sad animal moment would be, but at 10 I might not have seen it coming.

The story is very touching, and very funny, and very sweet. The ending was not my favorite, but that’s okay; it worked well enough, and I appreciated why it ended the way it did.

I have some theories about one of the characters who wasn’t given a voice, and I see that there is a published short story told from his point of view, but this book was so perfectly put together that I don’t know that I have much interest in reading it.

I enjoyed seeing all the precepts included at the end of the book.

This is a great book about bullying, being kind, doing the right thing, being courageous, good teaching, friendship and family, and I respected how it didn’t talk down to kids. I remember having these same kinds of deep conversations and thoughts when I was the age of Auggie and his classmates, and I think most readers around age 10 will identify with this group of kids. I also think that this could be a life-altering book for some young readers. And, it was simply a fun read and hard to put down. Very engaging. ( )
  Lisa2013 | Nov 22, 2014 |
Wonder is an incredible book, that any teenager would love. I liked this book for several reasons. First, I liked this book because of its overal message and theme. This book was about a 10 year old boy, named August, who was entering the 5th grade after being homeschooled for his entire life beforehand. August was born with facial deformities. Not only is August entering a new school for the first time, he has to face the students who stare and talk about his appearance. August makes his way through the brave new world, and changes into a better person, just as the students around him change and learn to accept him. Next, I enjoyed this book because it was told from several different characters, and not just one. Before coming across this book, I never read a book that had done this. I think that this makes the book so much more unique because you are able to read from different perspectives, rather than just the one that you normally hear from. Each and every character was relatable, whether it was the way they talked or the things that they would talk about. For instance, Justin was written without proper grammar. Altogether, this book is about acceptance, and accepting that people may be different, just like Auggie. This book is also about facing reality, and overcoming fears, as Auggie did by attending school for the first time. ( )
  margan1 | Nov 19, 2014 |
In my opinion, the chapter book, “Wonder” is an astounding book for older children to read. When I read this story, I enjoyed the plot, writing, and overall message. The plot in this story is unpredictable and suspenseful. When I was reading this book, I never wanted to stop reading because I desperately wanted to know what was going to happen next. The story is about a ten-year-old boy named August Pullman. He was born with a genetic abnormality that caused him to have a face that some people would call “deformed.” August has been home-schooled since he was born, but his parents decide that it would be good for him to begin fifth grade. “Auggie” has to go to school with many cruel kids. He is constantly reminded that he is different. Other kids stare, whisper, and avoid touching him. His heart is broken when he overhears his best friend saying that he would commit suicide if he looked like Auggie. Auggie’s sister does not want to take Auggie to see her high school play because she does not want to become known as “the girl who has a brother with a messed-up face.” The writing style of this book is very interesting. It is organized into different sections to let readers see not only the perspective of Auggie, but the perspectives of his sister, his friends Jack and Summer, and his sister’s boyfriend. This book reminds all of its readers about the importance of kindness. This book teaches many important messages about people’s feelings and desires to be noticed, accepted, and loved. The book also provides powerful messages that are given by Auggie’s teacher, Mr. Browne. For example, Mr. Browne writes, “When given the choice between being right or being kind, choose kind.” Overall, this book takes readers on a heartfelt journey. This book teaches readers that words can have a large effect on people’s lives. The big idea of this book is to make readers more aware of the feelings of others. ( )
  sstelz2 | Nov 17, 2014 |
fantastic. (to be continued) ( )
  ellsie98 | Nov 16, 2014 |
I absolutely loved this book! This is the type of book that makes you want to hug every character in the story. They were all so relatable and I absolutely loved them. This book has multiple points of view which I loved. With this book I was able to get into multiple character's heads and get more viewpoints of the events that took place.

This book follows a fifth grader that has a facial deformity who is going to a public school for the first time. I loved that this book had everything that could happen in middle school in the book. It had the bullying that happens in school and it also has the friendships that are formed during this time. I think that this made the book more relatable to the reader. The message in this book is to accept others for who they are and not what they look like. This book had me balling at the end, it was that good.

There is just so many things about this book that I loved. Overall I would recommend this book to everyone no matter what they like to read. I think that everyone could relate to this and the characters. ( )
  sreinh2 | Nov 10, 2014 |
Doctors have come from distant cities/just to see me/stand over my bed/disbelieving what they're seeing,
They say I must be one of the wonders/of god's own creation/and as far as they can see they can offer/no explanation
-Natalie Marchant, "Wonder"
For Russell, Caleb, and Joseph
I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid.
Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
Mr. Browne's Precepts: September - When given the choice between being righ or being kind, choose kind. -Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
February - It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. -James Thurber
March - Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. -Blaise Pascal
May - Do all the good you can,/By all the means you can,/In all the ways you can,/In all the places you can,/At all the times you can,/To all the people you can,/As long as you ever can. -John Wesley's Rule
Shall we make a new rule of life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary? -J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird
"Kinder than is necessary," he [Mr. Tushman] repeated. What a marvelous line, isn't it? Kinder than is necesary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed. Why I love that line, that concept, is that it reminds me that we carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of knindness. -Palacio, p. 300
... Joseph recognized the face of God in human form. It glimmered in their kindness to him, it glowed in their keenness, it hinted in their caring, ideed it caressed in their gaze. - Christopher Nolan, Under the Eye of the Clock
"It glimmered in their kindness to him ... Such a simple thing, kindness. Such a simple thing. A nice word of encouragment given when needed. An act of friendship. A passing smile." -Palacio, p. 300.
It's like how compass needles always point north, no matter which way you're facing. All those eyes are compasses, and I'm like the North Pole to them. [Auggie, 206]
I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives. [Auggie, 231]

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunts and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.

Born with a terrible facial abnormality, Auggie Pullman is shy, bright ten-year-old who has been home-schooled by his parents for his whole life, in an attempt to protect him from the stares and cruelty of the outside world. Now, for the first time, Auggie is being sent to a real school - and he's dreading it.
Menino com rosto
de quem todos fugia
brilha a luz do dia

(juliocutrim)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375869026, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month for Kids, February 2012: Wonder is a rare gem of a novel--beautifully written and populated by characters who linger in your memory and heart. August Pullman is a 10-year-old boy who likes Star Wars and Xbox, ordinary except for his jarring facial anomalies. Homeschooled all his life, August heads to public school for fifth grade and he is not the only one changed by the experience--something we learn about first-hand through the narratives of those who orbit his world. August’s internal dialogue and interactions with students and family ring true, and though remarkably courageous he comes across as a sweet, funny boy who wants the same things others want: friendship, understanding, and the freedom to be himself. “It is only with one’s heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.” From The Little Prince and R.J. Palacio’s remarkable novel, Wonder.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:22 -0400)

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunting and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,009,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible