Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Wonder

by R. J. Palacio

Recently added bymanntw13, thelittlestacks, sjcmce, mlomba2, private library, swimmergirl1, BPohl, danaenicole, Sharkell
    Firegirl by Tony Abbott (kaledrina)
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (bell7)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Both stories involve a highly-challenged child with a supportive family and friends. The girl in Out of My Mind has cerebral palsy.
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (bookel)
    The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (FFortuna)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Alexandra.Moraiti)
    Alexandra.Moraiti: They are both well written compassionate, funny and humane books. Although Wonder isn't about a boy with a disability , both books tell the story of two individuals that manage the socially imposed difficulties of their 'conditions'. The narration in both is in first person in Wonder by August Pullman(Auggie ), his friends and family, and in The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-time by Christopher Boone, a boy with Asperger's Syndrome.… (more)
    Kristy's Courage by Babbis Friis-Baastad (bookel)
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    So Much to Tell You by John Marsden (bookel)

English (389)  Catalan (4)  German (3)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  All languages (401)
Wow! This was such a wonderful book to have the pleasure to read. I cant believe that I have never read this story before! I think that this book could be life changing for some students. This novel tells the life of August, who has a physical deformity. Instead of just telling the story from August’s point of view we get to hear the perspective of multiple characters. Even though as the chapters change, the perspectives change yet you still feel like you are apart of the book. For example, I felt strong anger toward Jack after the things he said about our pal, Auggie right in front of him. As the story went on we learned more about Jack and learned to understand his point of view. This story was a book that could make you laugh, smile, cry, get angry and inspire you to love one and other and respect everyone, without exceptions. I give kudos to Palacio, for the descriptive words that provided great visuals that made you feel like you were part of the story. This book is filled with multiple realistic situations that are happening daily, positive messages, as well as support to those who need it. ( )
  jspare2 | Mar 25, 2015 |
Beautiful story, with multiple narrators - but esp Auggie, the 5th grader with the severe facial deformity who decides, at his parents' urging, to try and go to school for the first time. Definitely a poignant read, and just as engaging to read for those of us way past 5th grade - the middle school years' drama- as for those who may have just gone through it. Because of the protagonist and the reading level, it is an upper elem read, but I can see teens, what am I saying? ANYONE enjoying it as well. ( )
  BDartnall | Mar 20, 2015 |
In Wonder the reader is taken on an emotional journey through the story of a 10 year old August. However August is very different from other 10 year old boys. He was born with a severe genetic face deformity which affects and challenges each and every single day of his life. Palacio not only showed the reader the numerous difficulties that Auggie faces every day of his life but also presented the struggles and pain a family with a different child must manage by writing from different perspectives.

“I actually like how doctors talk. I like the sound of science. I like how words you don’t understand explain things you don’t understand.”

Wonder had such an incredible ability to move and affect me that I wanted to do nothing more but comfort August and remove his suffering and torment. I also found that reading different perspectives added depth to the book and made August’s condition believable. It was an easy read but it was such a complex issue that I definitely recommend that every single person, no matter what age, should read this book. ( )
  Veronika-ania | Mar 19, 2015 |
The main characters of the story are August, his parents, and his sister Via. August is a fifth grade boy who has the extraordinary challenge of growing up with a face that has several abnormalities. Of course, along with “Auggie’s” physical challenges, come social and emotional roadblocks as well. He is a child that has been homeschooled up until the fifth grade. He has very few friends, and although he feels “ordinary”, he knows that others will never see him as ordinary. Auggie often uses humor to deal with his pain. He has a great deal of character, and a heart of gold. His older sister is very protective of him. While she realizes that her parents (specifically her mother) have always put Auggie’s needs first, she is not bitter about the family dynamics. While Auggie has his first experience with school, Via is also in a transitional year- her first year of high school. Their parents are loving and supportive, and they are experiencing the typical struggles of watching their children grow up too fast in a world that can be very unkind. This book is written from several different points of view, which is one reason I think it is so unique and engaging. The author switches back and forth between Auggie, his sister, and a couple of their friends’ points of views. It aided in my understanding of each character and how he, or she, viewed the main character Auggie. I loved that the book was very simply written. Because it is a book that is leveled for middle school aged students, it was a quick read, and the characters speak very plainly about their feelings and the events in their lives. Auggie graduated the 5th grade, after not even believing that he would ever be able to attend school. While other students received awards for academics and sports, Auggie was the recipient of the “Henry Ward Beecher medal”. This medal’s purpose was to recognize greatness. The director of the school made a very moving speech about how Auggie had been so strong, and attracted the hearts of others purely by being himself and showing great character. The last sentence of the novel struck a chord with me as well. As Auggie’s family is walking home after graduation, his mother thanks him and tells him that he truly is, a “wonder”. I have always called my son my little wonder…. ( )
  HeidiJones | Mar 15, 2015 |
What can I say, this book by R.J. Palacio changed my life. I gave it 5 stars because it's the first book I ever read that changed who was telling the story or point of view based on the chapter. I plan to read this to my class at some point. It might not be until September of next year. It would be a great book to start the school year off, because it deals with how people treat each other. It makes for great conversations with 5th graders. ( )
  ramfam5 | Mar 15, 2015 |
Dieses Buch begeistert alle Altersgruppen. Das oft genutzte Motiv, dass es auf die inneren Werte ankommt, wird hier neu und ohne mahnenden Zeigefinger umgesetzt. Durch wechselnde Perspektiven kann der Leser nicht nur die Gefühle und Handlungen Auggies, sondern auch die seines Umfeldes verstehen. Der Leser entwickelt sich mit den sympathischen Charakteren. Die flüssige Sprache und die zahlreichen Details lassen die Geschichte persönlich und lebensnah wirken. Der Roman berührt den Leser und regt zum Nachdenken an.

Doctors have come from distant cities/just to see me/stand over my bed/disbelieving what they're seeing,
They say I must be one of the wonders/of god's own creation/and as far as they can see they can offer/no explanation
-Natalie Marchant, "Wonder"
For Russell, Caleb, and Joseph
I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid.
Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
Mr. Browne's Precepts: September - When given the choice between being righ or being kind, choose kind. -Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
February - It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. -James Thurber
March - Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. -Blaise Pascal
May - Do all the good you can,/By all the means you can,/In all the ways you can,/In all the places you can,/At all the times you can,/To all the people you can,/As long as you ever can. -John Wesley's Rule
Shall we make a new rule of life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary? -J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird
"Kinder than is necessary," he [Mr. Tushman] repeated. What a marvelous line, isn't it? Kinder than is necesary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed. Why I love that line, that concept, is that it reminds me that we carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of knindness. -Palacio, p. 300
... Joseph recognized the face of God in human form. It glimmered in their kindness to him, it glowed in their keenness, it hinted in their caring, ideed it caressed in their gaze. - Christopher Nolan, Under the Eye of the Clock
"It glimmered in their kindness to him ... Such a simple thing, kindness. Such a simple thing. A nice word of encouragment given when needed. An act of friendship. A passing smile." -Palacio, p. 300.
It's like how compass needles always point north, no matter which way you're facing. All those eyes are compasses, and I'm like the North Pole to them. [Auggie, 206]
I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives. [Auggie, 231]

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunts and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.

Born with a terrible facial abnormality, Auggie Pullman is shy, bright ten-year-old who has been home-schooled by his parents for his whole life, in an attempt to protect him from the stares and cruelty of the outside world. Now, for the first time, Auggie is being sent to a real school - and he's dreading it.
Menino com rosto
de quem todos fugia
brilha a luz do dia

(juliocutrim)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375869026, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month for Kids, February 2012: Wonder is a rare gem of a novel--beautifully written and populated by characters who linger in your memory and heart. August Pullman is a 10-year-old boy who likes Star Wars and Xbox, ordinary except for his jarring facial anomalies. Homeschooled all his life, August heads to public school for fifth grade and he is not the only one changed by the experience--something we learn about first-hand through the narratives of those who orbit his world. August’s internal dialogue and interactions with students and family ring true, and though remarkably courageous he comes across as a sweet, funny boy who wants the same things others want: friendship, understanding, and the freedom to be himself. “It is only with one’s heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.” From The Little Prince and R.J. Palacio’s remarkable novel, Wonder.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:22 -0400)

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunting and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,147,142 books! | Top bar: Always visible