Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Wonder

by R. J. Palacio

Firegirl by Tony Abbott (kaledrina)
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (bell7)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Both stories involve a highly-challenged child with a supportive family and friends. The girl in Out of My Mind has cerebral palsy.
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (bookel)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Alexandra.Moraiti)
    Alexandra.Moraiti: They are both well written compassionate, funny and humane books. Although Wonder isn't about a boy with a disability , both books tell the story of two individuals that manage the socially imposed difficulties of their 'conditions'. The narration in both is in first person in Wonder by August Pullman(Auggie ), his friends and family, and in The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-time by Christopher Boone, a boy with Asperger's Syndrome.… (more)
    The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (FFortuna)
    Kristy's Courage by Babbis Friis-Baastad (bookel)
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    So Much to Tell You by John Marsden (bookel)

English (286)  Catalan (3)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  French (1)  All languages (295)
In my opinion, this is an extraordinary book. The characters, prose, and overall message of the book was really outstanding. This book is about 10 year old August, who has a facial deformity, who is going to a mainstream school for the first time. Throughout the story, the reader is introduced to various characters that August encounters at different times. In order to understand the different characters better, Palacio changed the first person point of view as the story progressed. This way, the audience is able to see different perspectives of the same event as well as understand how and why a character feels a certain way towards August. It was great to see the perspectives of August, his friends, and his sister. In addition, I believe the author captured the certain voice of each character very well. She had written it in a way that was exceptionally engaging and believable. Overall, this book’s big idea was to accept others, and yourself, for the way that they are. Everyone should embrace their differences because that is what makes them unique. It is a great message to portray and I believe Palacio did an excellent job in doing so. ( )
  GaiaGonzales | Sep 20, 2014 |
Wonder

I enjoyed the book, Wonder, by R.J Palacio. The big message in this story is that all people deserve to be treated equally. This story was written well for two reasons. First, the characters were true to their age and used language that was believable. The “cheese touch” and mean notes left on the lockers were true representations of middle school bullying. Also, the book pushes readers to think about what it was like for the main character, August. He had to deal with people’s feelings towards his deformity. It makes the reader consider the feelings of his family, friends, and foes. ( )
  JenniferEckley | Sep 16, 2014 |
I really liked this book. I loved the characters, plot, and main idea. The book alternated narrators which I think is fantastic because it allows you to see the whole picture as opposed to just through Auggie's eyes. Each character was a little different. Auggie's chapters showed readers what his life was like being a child who is deformed; Via's chapters showed insight into what it is like being the sister of the child who is deformed; Jack and Summer showed the reader the challenges kids have to face when deciding to be Auggies friend. The plot was great because it really kept the reader engaged. I never wanted to put the book down. It went through an entire year in the life of Auggie showing all the ups and downs. The main idea of the book is kindness and acceptance. In my opinion that is a fantastic main idea for everyone to read at any age. It can really inspire the reader to be a better person and even start making precepts of their own. ( )
  torilynae | Sep 16, 2014 |
I really enjoyed reading this book for several reasons. One of my favorite aspects of the book is how the author changed point of view throughout the book. Each of the parts had a different character with August, the main character, beginning and ending the novel. In addition, each characters section had a slightly different language and/or writing style. For example, Justin’s section did not have any use of capital letters and there are no quotation marks around dialogue. This made it feel like the characters were writing the chapters themselves, that they were talking directly to me. It made the characters seem more believable. In addition to being more believable, I thought all the characters had excellent development throughout the book. August went from a homeschool child who had very little independence to going to sleep away camp and making many friends at school. Via, August’s sister, found that she did not always have to be the perfect big sister who sat second in command to her brother. Finally I loved the plot of the story, during the parts where August’s “friends” were being mean to him I was tearing up, and then I felt the tension when his family was fighting or when Via was ashamed of him. I felt the plot was well-organized and created conflict and tension that are relatable. I think the big idea of this story is what Mr. Tushman said during his graduation ceremony speech, “always try to be a little kinder than necessary” be a friend, say hello or smile at those in the hallway, give words of encouragement. If everyone was a little kinder than necessary then the world would be a little happier, a little more accepting, and a lot better of a place. ( )
  EmilyBeer | Sep 16, 2014 |
Chapter book, Contemporary realistic fiction.
I gave Wonder 5 stars because it was an incredibly touching novel. The book held my attention through the duration of the text and was difficult to put down. The novel Wonder discussed the theme of friendship. When Auggie first found out that he was going to be going to school for the first time he was scared because about what people might say about his deformed face. Upon his entrance to his new school the principal set up a few students to give him a tour and take him under their wings. Auggie becomes especially close with one of them named Jack Will. Auggie's friendship with JAck blossoms until one day Auggie overhears Jack gossiping about his face. This is where the theme of friendship comes in to play. Eventually the two make up when Jack apologizes even when it risks his own popularity. This demonstrates the strength of their friendship. The book is often filled with themes of perseverance as Auggie has to persevere through many difficulties to make it through fifth grade and life in general. Auggie shows a great deal of courage on their nature retreat. They were being bullied by seventh graders and he was thrown to the ground. Auggie stood up for himself and his friends stood up for him as well. Although they made a narrow escape from the seventh graders I feel it was a growing experience for Auggie as well as his friends. ( )
  danielleshorr | Sep 16, 2014 |
Doctors have come from distant cities/just to see me/stand over my bed/disbelieving what they're seeing,
They say I must be one of the wonders/of god's own creation/and as far as they can see they can offer/no explanation
-Natalie Marchant, "Wonder"
For Russell, Caleb, and Joseph
I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid.
Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
Mr. Browne's Precepts: September - When given the choice between being righ or being kind, choose kind. -Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
February - It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. -James Thurber
March - Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. -Blaise Pascal
May - Do all the good you can,/By all the means you can,/In all the ways you can,/In all the places you can,/At all the times you can,/To all the people you can,/As long as you ever can. -John Wesley's Rule
Shall we make a new rule of life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary? -J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird
"Kinder than is necessary," he [Mr. Tushman] repeated. What a marvelous line, isn't it? Kinder than is necesary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed. Why I love that line, that concept, is that it reminds me that we carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of knindness. -Palacio, p. 300
... Joseph recognized the face of God in human form. It glimmered in their kindness to him, it glowed in their keenness, it hinted in their caring, ideed it caressed in their gaze. - Christopher Nolan, Under the Eye of the Clock
"It glimmered in their kindness to him ... Such a simple thing, kindness. Such a simple thing. A nice word of encouragment given when needed. An act of friendship. A passing smile." -Palacio, p. 300.
It's like how compass needles always point north, no matter which way you're facing. All those eyes are compasses, and I'm like the North Pole to them. [Auggie, 206]
I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives. [Auggie, 231]

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunts and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.

Born with a terrible facial abnormality, Auggie Pullman is shy, bright ten-year-old who has been home-schooled by his parents for his whole life, in an attempt to protect him from the stares and cruelty of the outside world. Now, for the first time, Auggie is being sent to a real school - and he's dreading it.
Menino com rosto
de quem todos fugia
brilha a luz do dia

(juliocutrim)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375869026, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month for Kids, February 2012: Wonder is a rare gem of a novel--beautifully written and populated by characters who linger in your memory and heart. August Pullman is a 10-year-old boy who likes Star Wars and Xbox, ordinary except for his jarring facial anomalies. Homeschooled all his life, August heads to public school for fifth grade and he is not the only one changed by the experience--something we learn about first-hand through the narratives of those who orbit his world. August’s internal dialogue and interactions with students and family ring true, and though remarkably courageous he comes across as a sweet, funny boy who wants the same things others want: friendship, understanding, and the freedom to be himself. “It is only with one’s heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.” From The Little Prince and R.J. Palacio’s remarkable novel, Wonder.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:22 -0400)

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunting and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,769,854 books! | Top bar: Always visible