Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Wonder

by R. J. Palacio

Firegirl by Tony Abbott (kaledrina)
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (bell7)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Both stories involve a highly-challenged child with a supportive family and friends. The girl in Out of My Mind has cerebral palsy.
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (bookel)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Alexandra.Moraiti)
    Alexandra.Moraiti: They are both well written compassionate, funny and humane books. Although Wonder isn't about a boy with a disability , both books tell the story of two individuals that manage the socially imposed difficulties of their 'conditions'. The narration in both is in first person in Wonder by August Pullman(Auggie ), his friends and family, and in The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-time by Christopher Boone, a boy with Asperger's Syndrome.… (more)
    The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (FFortuna)
    Kristy's Courage by Babbis Friis-Baastad (bookel)
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    So Much to Tell You by John Marsden (bookel)

English (318)  Spanish (3)  Catalan (3)  French (2)  German (2)  All languages (328)
A 10 year old boy named August was born with facial deformities which have been worked on over time through plastic surgery. He grew up being homeschool by his mother out of his parents' fear of how others would treat him in public school. They decide to enroll him in a public school when he enters 5th grade. This story is empowering and eye opening to how students can feel in a school setting and how peers can treat one another.

It did a wonderful job in conveying a unique experience from a child's point of view. The author conveyed August's perspective through visuals and his interactions with his peers. August would always notice the color or condition of people's shoes because his head was always down and hiding behind his bangs. This revealed his poor self-image and low confidence through his head hanging down.

The author also conveyed August's perspective through dialogue. The dialogue or inner monologue shared his innermost thoughts which revealed his mindset and how he approaches life. For example, the author says, "“It's what you've done with your time, how you've chosen to spend your days, and whom you've touched this year. That, to me, is the greatest measure of success.” This is the kind of mentality August is surrounded with and inspired by. This shows that he has aspirations and dreams despite the types of looks and remarks he directly or indirectly receives.

This book is filled with many life lessons, positive messages, authenticity, and realistic situations. The big message is to embrace who you are and the right people will love you no matter what. ( )
  GinaBayne | Oct 21, 2014 |
I have yet to meet a student who didn't immediately fall in love with this book. R.J. Palacio's debut novel details the life of a young boy entering school for the first time in the fifth grade. The boy, August, was born with a number of facial deformities and this story details his life during his first year in school. Told from the perspectives of several different characters, Palacio creates a nuanced and realistic world in which her characters dwell. The addition of a chapter narrated by the antagonist of the story after its conclusion further strengthened this extremely moving story. It's one of the few children's books I've read that evoked a variety of emotions from me as I read it. ( )
  mfedore | Oct 18, 2014 |
I really enjoyed the book “Wonder”. There was only one aspect of this book that I did not like. One reason I enjoyed this book was because of the characters. I enjoyed reading each of the characters perspectives throughout the book. All though, I did not like how Justin’s perspective was written without proper grammar. “i shouldn’t be of course. olivia’s told me about his “syndrome.” has even described what he looks like.” Another reason I enjoyed the characters was because of their stories that they told. They were relatable and I could understand how they felt, such as Via’s part. I enjoyed reading the other characters perspectives, especially August’s. I really also enjoyed the plot of the story. I like how it explained each person’s feelings about August and how August felt about everyone else. The big idea of this story is to not judge a person by how they look. Everyone judged August because of his face before actually meeting him, but a lot of people actually ended up liking him after getting to know him. ( )
  amulve2 | Oct 16, 2014 |
When I found out we were assigned to read "Wonder", I was thrilled. Before I had read this chapter book, I had heard many great things about it. After reading the book, I found it to be an excellent book to read for all ages. The first reason I enjoyed this book was the different point of views or perspectives within the book. A perspective was shared from many of the important characters of the book. It was interesting to see Auggie’s point of view versus his classmates or even his own sister. It started out as Auggie’s point of view then shifted to his sister Via, then his friend Summer, etc. The topic that this book covers, bullying, is a topic that is taken very seriously as it should. It shows from Auggie’s perspective (the one being bullied) but also shows the story from Jack’s perspective after he had made those mean comments and why he did. This allows the reader to connect with the characters and see through their eyes. There was a specific quote that stood out to my while I was reading the book. “It’s not enough to be friendly. You have to be a friend.” In the event where Auggie though Jack was his vey close friend but then Jack, at first, was being friendly because he was asked too. This quote is simple but has a lot of meaning behind it. Throughout the book, people were just being friendly because they thought they had to be because of the way Auggie looked. Auggie’s true friends saw past his looks and into his kind heart. The main idea of this story revolves around acceptance, self-worth and the family and friends that were there to support. ( )
  vharsh1 | Oct 15, 2014 |
I thought “Wonder” was a phenomenal book! This book would be an astounding story to incorporate in every child’s process of reading. For me, the story line was the best part. This would be a useful tool to help children understand that everyone is different and no two people are the same. Another unique part is the point of view. With differing individuals’ point of view, the reader is able to gain an understanding through multiple perspectives and people in his life. Like it did for me, this book truly pushes readers to think about tough issues. As the author addresses how individuals often judge people based on the way they look, rather than the way they act, children will rethink this concept. This is a good thought-provoking book to really open children’s eyes that beauty is on the inside. My favorite part of the story was the quotes, or lyrics, that begin each chapter. My favorite introduction was the song by Christina Aguilera, “You are beautiful no matter what they say. Words can’t bring you down.” I think this song is perfect because it reiterates the idea that everyone has beauty. I think the big idea this story portrays is friendship, benevolence, love, and most importantly, acceptance. ( )
  Ebutzn1 | Oct 15, 2014 |
Doctors have come from distant cities/just to see me/stand over my bed/disbelieving what they're seeing,
They say I must be one of the wonders/of god's own creation/and as far as they can see they can offer/no explanation
-Natalie Marchant, "Wonder"
For Russell, Caleb, and Joseph
I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid.
Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
Mr. Browne's Precepts: September - When given the choice between being righ or being kind, choose kind. -Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
February - It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. -James Thurber
March - Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. -Blaise Pascal
May - Do all the good you can,/By all the means you can,/In all the ways you can,/In all the places you can,/At all the times you can,/To all the people you can,/As long as you ever can. -John Wesley's Rule
Shall we make a new rule of life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary? -J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird
"Kinder than is necessary," he [Mr. Tushman] repeated. What a marvelous line, isn't it? Kinder than is necesary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed. Why I love that line, that concept, is that it reminds me that we carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of knindness. -Palacio, p. 300
... Joseph recognized the face of God in human form. It glimmered in their kindness to him, it glowed in their keenness, it hinted in their caring, ideed it caressed in their gaze. - Christopher Nolan, Under the Eye of the Clock
"It glimmered in their kindness to him ... Such a simple thing, kindness. Such a simple thing. A nice word of encouragment given when needed. An act of friendship. A passing smile." -Palacio, p. 300.
It's like how compass needles always point north, no matter which way you're facing. All those eyes are compasses, and I'm like the North Pole to them. [Auggie, 206]
I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives. [Auggie, 231]

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunts and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.

Born with a terrible facial abnormality, Auggie Pullman is shy, bright ten-year-old who has been home-schooled by his parents for his whole life, in an attempt to protect him from the stares and cruelty of the outside world. Now, for the first time, Auggie is being sent to a real school - and he's dreading it.
Menino com rosto
de quem todos fugia
brilha a luz do dia

(juliocutrim)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375869026, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month for Kids, February 2012: Wonder is a rare gem of a novel--beautifully written and populated by characters who linger in your memory and heart. August Pullman is a 10-year-old boy who likes Star Wars and Xbox, ordinary except for his jarring facial anomalies. Homeschooled all his life, August heads to public school for fifth grade and he is not the only one changed by the experience--something we learn about first-hand through the narratives of those who orbit his world. August’s internal dialogue and interactions with students and family ring true, and though remarkably courageous he comes across as a sweet, funny boy who wants the same things others want: friendship, understanding, and the freedom to be himself. “It is only with one’s heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.” From The Little Prince and R.J. Palacio’s remarkable novel, Wonder.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:22 -0400)

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunting and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,499,523 books! | Top bar: Always visible