Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Wonder

by R. J. Palacio

2,026None3,289 (4.41)139
    Firegirl by Tony Abbott (kaledrina)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Both stories involve a highly-challenged child with a supportive family and friends. The girl in Out of My Mind has cerebral palsy.
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (bell7)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Alexandra.Moraiti)
    Alexandra.Moraiti: They are both well written compassionate, funny and humane books. Although Wonder isn't about a boy with a disability , both books tell the story of two individuals that manage the socially imposed difficulties of their 'conditions'. The narration in both is in first person in Wonder by August Pullman(Auggie ), his friends and family, and in The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-time by Christopher Boone, a boy with Asperger's Syndrome.… (more)
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (bookel)
    Kristy's Courage by Babbis Friis-Baastad (bookel)
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    So Much to Tell You by John Marsden (bookel)
    The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (FFortuna)

English (237)  Catalan (3)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  French (1)  All languages (246)
Oh my gosh...this was a really,really,really,really fantastic book. I read it on one week. It was so awesome. And I felt really felt with the characters and the emotions they were feeling. It was really awesome!!!!!!! ( )
  Elliepoole | Apr 11, 2014 |
This phenomenal book is about August, a fifth grader who is in a painful and challenging and clumsy situation. His face is deformed (from birth) and he has been home schooled. As a family, they agree that it is time for August to try fifth grade at a middle school. The chapters are broken down into the voices of different people in the story. However, of the eight parts that the book is broken into, August is the voice of three of them. This book deftly draws the social dynamics of families, friends, peers, and school. It reflects the good and the bad. We see August grow along with most of those around him! I really liked how activities are described such as the 5th Grade nature retreat. Such activities can be fraught with anxiety and excitement and that was palpable in this book. I liked the adult champions portrayed in this book. Mr. Browne, the teacher who teaches precepts such as "When given the choice between being right or being kind, choose kind"; Mr. Tushman, the principal who advocates being "kinder than is necessary"; August's parents who express unconditional love. And, August himself--he is a wonder. I loved this line from him when he was feeling joy for his sister Via when she played Emily in "Our Town": "I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their life". :) This is just a terrific book about striving to be better to one another and learning from our mistakes. It is also a book about forgiveness. ( )
  emtimmins | Mar 30, 2014 |
I loved the book “Wonder” by R.J Polacio for two reasons. First, the book pushes readers to think about abnormalities, something that young children do not always consider. For example, Auggie has facial deformities and many people who come in contact with him are scared of him, but the overall sequence of this book shows overcoming many fears. Second, the language in this book is kind allowing the audience to sympathize with the main characters. “Kinder than is necessary. Because it’s not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed.” Many of the quotes in the books teach lessons to young students that will relate to their life in some way. While there are many messages in the book “Wonder” the one that sticks out most to be is acceptance. The ability to accept someone who is different goes a long way in this great story. ( )
  rschin1 | Mar 30, 2014 |
The story was interesting because it had multiple conflicts other than the problem of August's deformity, although the problems all stemmed from that. Another good thing was the point of view shifted among the main characters and you got to know all the characters and how August's problems affect all of them. ( )
  SebastianHagelstein | Mar 29, 2014 |
This review was originally posted on my blog Little Miss Reader.

I really, really liked this book! The characters were realistic, the storyline was great and overall a lovely book!

Lets talk characters first:
I really liked Auggie! He was so funny and sweet and I loved how he still had a sense of humour! He wasn't one of those complaining maincharacters that you sometimes come across. He has days where he is moodier than usual, but that is understandable, and don't we all have those days?
I felt really sorry for him at times because he gets bullied and all those people looking at him. It can not be hard growing up looking like him, but the fact that he is still quirky and dorky is amazing!

Summer! She is probably the sweetest girl ever! I love how she just went over to Auggie, sat down and started to talk to him - it was so cute! Especially because she ends up becoming one of his best friends, and to me that is amazing. She is so sweet towards Auggie and she totally gets him. I loved every part of the book she was in because she made Auggie so glad!

Jack Will is also one of Auggie's best friends. I love how he starts standing up for Auggie and chooses him over the "popular" boys. I also really liked that he wasn't rich! I sometimes feel like authors choose to portrait the "hero" or "saviour" as this rich guy that saves the "damsel in distress" which in this case is Auggie. Jack is the perfect friend for Auggie, and I love how Jack is the one copying notes and homework off Auggie.

Via is a great big sister to Auggie, she is just what he needs!

The different point of views:
I have heard a bunch of different things about this book, but I have never heard that you see the story from different POVs - which I am totally okay with, since it was an important aspect of the book, at least for me, and I LOVED it!
You get to see it from 6 different POVs. My favorite, besides Auggie, is Summer! It was way too short, but I loved it!
The different povs was amazing, you got to see how everyone else was affected by Auggie instead of just Auggie telling you about how he feels. It gave the story so much more depth, the povs kind of took the story to a whole another level! Especially the part that was seen from Via's point of view, because she is the "neglected child" because her parents had to take care of Auggie. You get to see how she deals with different stuff and how she actually feels about everything. At one point I started to dislike her, but she totally made up for it, because she cares so much about Auggie and I just feel like he couldn't have had a better sister!

What does Auggie actually look like?
He has ears, but they do not look like normal ears.
When he eats, he chews with the front of his mouth. It kind of look like how a tortoise eats.
He has had a BUNCH of surgeries, which is really sad! One of which was a jaw surgery where they took a piece of bone from his hip and inserted into his chin to make it look more normal.
Some of the kids says he looks like one of those shrunken heads.
His eyes are about an inch below where they should be on his face, almost to halfway down his cheeks. They slant downward at an extreme angle, almost like diagonal slits that someone cut into his face, and the left is noticably lower that the right one. His eyes bulges outwards and he doesn't have eyelashes or eyebrows.

The Auggie Evolution
When Auggie's parents told him that they think he should start going to school, an actual school, he was not that happy about it. He was actually really depressed because of it.
When he befriends Summer he starts becoming more confident, and then when he and Jack really start hitting it off, he blooms into this wonderful little kid.
Then in the end, after he has been in school for an entire year, he is normal. Of course not normal normal, but he doesn't think about his face anymore and he really enjoys going to school. He comes to accept who he is and that he is not only defined by his face but for his courage and friendship.

I loved this book to pieces, and I will seriously advice everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, to read this book. It teaches a valuable lesson and I hope that my siblings and middle-graders all over the world gets to read this book. If just to know that there are some people out in the world that doesn't have an easy life.

I have to give this book 5 hearts since it will forever be one of my favorites, and I will try to make every child read this book.

I shared a couple of teasers of this book for a Teaser Tuesday, click here if you want to read them. ( )
1 vote AmandaEmma | Mar 26, 2014 |
Doctors have come from distant cities/just to see me/stand over my bed/disbelieving what they're seeing,
They say I must be one of the wonders/of god's own creation/and as far as they can see they can offer/no explanation
-Natalie Marchant, "Wonder"
For Russell, Caleb, and Joseph
I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid.
Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
Mr. Browne's Precepts: September - When given the choice between being righ or being kind, choose kind. -Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
February - It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. -James Thurber
March - Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. -Blaise Pascal
May - Do all the good you can,/By all the means you can,/In all the ways you can,/In all the places you can,/At all the times you can,/To all the people you can,/As long as you ever can. -John Wesley's Rule
Shall we make a new rule of life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary? -J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird
"Kinder than is necessary," he [Mr. Tushman] repeated. What a marvelous line, isn't it? Kinder than is necesary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed. Why I love that line, that concept, is that it reminds me that we carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of knindness. -Palacio, p. 300
... Joseph recognized the face of God in human form. It glimmered in their kindness to him, it glowed in their keenness, it hinted in their caring, ideed it caressed in their gaze. - Christopher Nolan, Under the Eye of the Clock
"It glimmered in their kindness to him ... Such a simple thing, kindness. Such a simple thing. A nice word of encouragment given when needed. An act of friendship. A passing smile." -Palacio, p. 300.
It's like how compass needles always point north, no matter which way you're facing. All those eyes are compasses, and I'm like the North Pole to them. [Auggie, 206]
I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives. [Auggie, 231]

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunts and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.

Born with a terrible facial abnormality, Auggie Pullman is shy, bright ten-year-old who has been home-schooled by his parents for his whole life, in an attempt to protect him from the stares and cruelty of the outside world. Now, for the first time, Auggie is being sent to a real school - and he's dreading it.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375869026, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month for Kids, February 2012: Wonder is a rare gem of a novel--beautifully written and populated by characters who linger in your memory and heart. August Pullman is a 10-year-old boy who likes Star Wars and Xbox, ordinary except for his jarring facial anomalies. Homeschooled all his life, August heads to public school for fifth grade and he is not the only one changed by the experience--something we learn about first-hand through the narratives of those who orbit his world. August’s internal dialogue and interactions with students and family ring true, and though remarkably courageous he comes across as a sweet, funny boy who wants the same things others want: friendship, understanding, and the freedom to be himself. “It is only with one’s heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.” From The Little Prince and R.J. Palacio’s remarkable novel, Wonder.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:22 -0400)

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunting and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,456,348 books! | Top bar: Always visible