Wonder by R. J. Palacio
    Firegirl by Tony Abbott (kaledrina)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Both stories involve a highly-challenged child with a supportive family and friends. The girl in Out of My Mind has cerebral palsy.
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (bell7)
    The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (FFortuna)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (bookel)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Alexandra.Moraiti)
    Alexandra.Moraiti: They are both well written compassionate, funny and humane books. Although Wonder isn't about a boy with a disability , both books tell the story of two individuals that manage the socially imposed difficulties of their 'conditions'. The narration in both is in first person in Wonder by August Pullman(Auggie ), his friends and family, and in The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-time by Christopher Boone, a boy with Asperger's Syndrome.… (more)
    Kristy's Courage by Babbis Friis (bookel)
    If at Birth You Don't Succeed: My Adventures with Disaster and Destiny by Zach Anner (2wonderY)
    2wonderY: Success beyond physics with personality.
    Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Both are similarly moving stories about approaching difficult issues with kindness and compassion.
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    So Much to Tell You by John Marsden (bookel)

English (681)  Catalan (6)  German (4)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  All (1)  All (698)
There is no strong enough word to describe the incredible emotion behind the book Wonder. It is heartbreakingly real and relatable. Auggie is a 10-year-old boy starting public school for the first time in his life. Unfortunately, Auggie has an extreme facial deformity, which makes making friends and feeling normal extremely difficult for him. Several parts of this book infuriated me, all the while making me feel hopeful and laugh. Every reader will start to feel sympathetic towards Auggie and his family as they all try and navigate the judgment of strangers, while supporting one another in their various endeavors. I loved the format of this book, also. Each character is telling the story from their own viewpoint. There are multiple short chapters in each character’s section – which helps read this lengthy book quickly. Although there is no definitive picture of what August looks like, but the author does a spectacular job of using descriptive words that really helps the reader use their imagination. Not only does the author describe all the characters well, but also every single thought that each character has is unfiltered, real, and always justifiable – no matter how harsh it may seem. Palacio captured all the children in this book very well and truly did a great job showing their growth and maturity as the school year progresses. Wonder places a very heavy focus on being kind to others (no matter how hard it might be) and embracing difference so that everyone feels safe and wanted. As a future educator in this current time in history, Wonder will definitely be a book I want my students to read. It teaches them crucial life values, all the while being incredibly inspiring. ( )
  sameentaj | Mar 18, 2017 |
Great book. Told from four POV's. ( )
  IC_kimetra | Mar 16, 2017 |
This chapter is about a young boy who has a facial deformity. Being home schooled throughout his elementary years, Auggie's parents decide to put him into a private middle school. He soon makes friends, but like any typical middle school bullies lurk throughout. This book describes how Auggie deals with his deformity and bullies. Auggie's character is so positive and it shows how one can endure certain things with a good attitude. This book is for middle school students. It can help deal with bullies and deformities. It can also be massed to show how different point of views can change the story. ( )
  maria.baltazar | Mar 14, 2017 |
This book was a 5 star book. Wonder was an amazing, raw, and realistic story. The character development is incredible. Auggie, a 10 year old boy starting school for the first time, is realistic and relatable. Having a severe facial deformity makes his life a little bit harder than the average 10 year old boy. I laughed but also cried a lot during this book. There were so many times that I wanted to jump right into the book and give August a hug. The story of how he goes through school over the course of a year is both inspiring and hopeful. You can't help but root for Auggie and his family as they face judgmental people. The family as a whole, as well as other characters, grow to have a better understanding of life and what really matters. I loved the format of this book as well. Written from multiple viewpoints, this book puts you inside every character's mind. As the reader, it's always intriguing to understand the character better this way. The reader has the opportunity to read each person's raw and unfiltered thoughts. R.J. Palacio doesn't filter or sugarcoat anything. You truly get real character emotion and feeling throughout the story. Palacio does an excellent job of capturing every type of kid throughout the story, there's the mean kids, the sweet kids, the followers, and the leaders. Watching how each grew to be leaders, or stay followers, was completely realistic and brought me back to my own experiences as a fifth grader. The book places a heavy focus on kindness and how important and overlooked it is, not only at school but in the world. After reading this, I have a better appreciation and understanding for what it's like to be "different" from the "normal". Embracing our differences and building each other up is what's most important. This book sends home a huge message that I think, especially in this time, all young students need to understand. I finished Wonder within 2 days just because I couldn't put it down. Truly an amazing and inspiring story.
  scucci2 | Mar 12, 2017 |
I loved this book, it really opened my eyes to how people are treated who aren’t disabled but have a physical deformity. I would totally recommend this book to anyone. There are a lot of reasons I liked this book. The first was I like the way that the author told the story from different people perspectives. Instead of using chapter, the author used part one, two, etc. This let me know that a new person was about to tell the story from their point of view. Under each part, it told the name of who was telling the point of view. For example, part one was from August, the main character. Part two was told from Via`s (August`s older sister) point of view. Part three was told from the point of view of Summer (Augusts friend at school). This allowed me to see how everyone saw and looked and dealt with August in their own way. I thoroughly enjoyed the way the authors writing flowed very well. Even though each part if from a different perspective, they all told about their side of what happened so it let me see August`s side of the story and then the other person’s side. The author did a very good job of allowing the story to flow nicely. For example, when August went in to school as the Bleeding scream costume instead of Boba Fett. Nobody had noticed it was him and was talking behind his back about him and he heard everything. Then when part four came, that was Jacks (Augusts friend) point of view. Jack couldn’t figure out why August wasn’t talking to him anymore, then Summer gave him the hint of Bleeding Scream, Jack finally realized it was August in the costume and that he has heard everything. The writing flows so that everything from everyone’s perspective connects with each other and it makes the book amazing. The author knows how to do well with emotion throughout the story. For example, in Part six (August), their dog daisy dies and the author does a good job of showing emotion and it made it cry a little. In the text, it said I`ve never seen Dad cry before, but I saw him cry tonight which showed a lot of emotion because August has never seen his dad cry before but he did this time because the pain of losing their dog was very hard on all of them. This book brings out a big message to everyone, which is, even though someone may look different, it doesn’t mean we should treat them any differently. We all just want to be treated the same, even if we are a little different. We are all different in our own ways and we should be able to embrace that and show everyone our uniqueness. ( )
  kmassa3 | Mar 10, 2017 |

Dieses Buch begeistert alle Altersgruppen. Das oft genutzte Motiv, dass es auf die inneren Werte ankommt, wird hier neu und ohne mahnenden Zeigefinger umgesetzt. Durch wechselnde Perspektiven kann der Leser nicht nur die Gefühle und Handlungen Auggies, sondern auch die seines Umfeldes verstehen. Der Leser entwickelt sich mit den sympathischen Charakteren. Die flüssige Sprache und die zahlreichen Details lassen die Geschichte persönlich und lebensnah wirken. Der Roman berührt den Leser und regt zum Nachdenken an.

Doctors have come from distant cities/just to see me/stand over my bed/disbelieving what they're seeing,
They say I must be one of the wonders/of god's own creation/and as far as they can see they can offer/no explanation
-Natalie Marchant, "Wonder"
For Russell, Caleb, and Joseph
I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid.
Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
Mr. Browne's Precepts: September - When given the choice between being righ or being kind, choose kind. -Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
February - It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. -James Thurber
March - Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. -Blaise Pascal
May - Do all the good you can,/By all the means you can,/In all the ways you can,/In all the places you can,/At all the times you can,/To all the people you can,/As long as you ever can. -John Wesley's Rule
Shall we make a new rule of life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary? -J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird
"Kinder than is necessary," he [Mr. Tushman] repeated. What a marvelous line, isn't it? Kinder than is necesary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed. Why I love that line, that concept, is that it reminds me that we carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of knindness. -Palacio, p. 300
... Joseph recognized the face of God in human form. It glimmered in their kindness to him, it glowed in their keenness, it hinted in their caring, ideed it caressed in their gaze. - Christopher Nolan, Under the Eye of the Clock
"It glimmered in their kindness to him ... Such a simple thing, kindness. Such a simple thing. A nice word of encouragment given when needed. An act of friendship. A passing smile." -Palacio, p. 300.
It's like how compass needles always point north, no matter which way you're facing. All those eyes are compasses, and I'm like the North Pole to them. [Auggie, 206]
I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives. [Auggie, 231]

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunts and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.

Born with a terrible facial abnormality, Auggie Pullman is shy, bright ten-year-old who has been home-schooled by his parents for his whole life, in an attempt to protect him from the stares and cruelty of the outside world. Now, for the first time, Auggie is being sent to a real school - and he's dreading it.
Menino com rosto
de quem todos fugia
brilha a luz do dia

(juliocutrim)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375869026, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month for Kids, February 2012: Wonder is a rare gem of a novel--beautifully written and populated by characters who linger in your memory and heart. August Pullman is a 10-year-old boy who likes Star Wars and Xbox, ordinary except for his jarring facial anomalies. Homeschooled all his life, August heads to public school for fifth grade and he is not the only one changed by the experience--something we learn about first-hand through the narratives of those who orbit his world. August’s internal dialogue and interactions with students and family ring true, and though remarkably courageous he comes across as a sweet, funny boy who wants the same things others want: friendship, understanding, and the freedom to be himself. “It is only with one’s heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.” From The Little Prince and R.J. Palacio’s remarkable novel, Wonder.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:57 -0400)

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunting and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,243,403 books! | Top bar: Always visible