Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Wonder

by R. J. Palacio

Series: Wonder (1)

Firegirl by Tony Abbott (kaledrina)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Both stories involve a highly-challenged child with a supportive family and friends. The girl in Out of My Mind has cerebral palsy.
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (bell7)
    The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (FFortuna)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (bookel)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Alexandra.Moraiti)
    Alexandra.Moraiti: They are both well written compassionate, funny and humane books. Although Wonder isn't about a boy with a disability , both books tell the story of two individuals that manage the socially imposed difficulties of their 'conditions'. The narration in both is in first person in Wonder by August Pullman(Auggie ), his friends and family, and in The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-time by Christopher Boone, a boy with Asperger's Syndrome.… (more)
    Kristy's Courage by Babbis Friis (bookel)
    If at Birth You Don't Succeed: My Adventures with Disaster and Destiny by Zach Anner (2wonderY)
    2wonderY: Success beyond physics with personality.
    Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Both are similarly moving stories about approaching difficult issues with kindness and compassion.
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    So Much to Tell You by John Marsden (bookel)

English (917)  Catalan (7)  Spanish (6)  German (4)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Japanese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (940)
I love this story for many different reasons. August is born with a facial deformity and has a hard time making friends and adjusting to the life in public schools. He struggles with bullying and feeling out of place based on his looks. As the story goes by he meets and makes friends such as Jack and Summer. I enjoy the point of view of the story and how it is told from multiple perspectives. It starts off with August telling his story but switches from people in his life like Miranda and Summer. It shows how the people around August react based on situations that take place with August and explains why the characters do what they did. In addition, the characters are very relatable and this type of story can be seen in a elementary school scenario and it provides what to do when bullying arises. In the story, Julian calls August a freak and to defend him, Jack punches Julian out of anger. That shows the amount of build up and frustration that he had from hearing Julian talk so poorly about August. The message the author tried to send was to be kind to all never judge a book by it's cover. Everyone thought negatively of August due to his face deformity but inside, he was a very kind, silly ten year old boy. ( )
  BryanLabastida | Sep 24, 2018 |
summary: August is born with a facial deformity and has a hard time making friends.
reflection: I think that this book is a perfect book to read in a classroom with special education students. Since I want to teach students with severe and multiple disabilities, I think that something like this could happen in real life and if so, a student would really love to read about someone else going through the same thing(s) that they are.
  dempseydee | Sep 23, 2018 |
The book Wonder is a book based on a young boy named Auggie who is born with a facial deformity. The story is told from multiple view points, through himself, his friends, and family, as he begins school for the first time. Middle school can be hard for anyone, but it can especially hard for someone like Auggie. In the beginning, Auggie relies heavily on his friend Summer, who sits with him at lunch, and his friend, Jack Will, who sits next to him in every class. Things take a turn for the worse when he overhears Jack Will talking about him behind his back on Halloween. Auggie then receives from crucial advice from his sister Via, who seems to always have his back no matter what. Jack Will and Auggie make up and Jack Will helps Auggie make it through school, he even punches a bully in the face for him. Once the end of the year trip comes around, Auggie is confronted by some outside bullies. He finds some unlikely heroes, his own school bullies, stick up for him. The message of the book is clear that no matter how many times life knocks you down, you just have to keep getting back up. No matter how many times Auggie wanted to quit school, he never did and eventually ended up loving it. ( )
  RachelPlatt | Sep 22, 2018 |
I breezed through this book. I liked this book for several reasons. First of all, I loved how the author gave different perspectives from the different characters. This book is about a boy named August. During the first couple chapters, the readers are given a first-person perspective of August. However afterwards, the author gives account from various different characters in the book such as from Via, Via's boyfriend, Jack and Miranda's perspectives. Through these diverse perspectives, I was able to understand and empathize better with the characters. Secondly, I loved how realistic this fictional story was. In the story, we see various issues that the protagonist had to overcome such as bullying and physical exceptionalities. These kind of issues are very relatable to today's world as well. Therefore, this book definitly pushes readers to think about these tough issues and encourages readers to cultivate empathy for others. Lastly, I loved the main idea of accepting and fully being yourself. I loved the theme of perseverance, courage and wonder that this book holds. This book is a must-read without a doubt! ( )
  EstherJo | Sep 21, 2018 |
After reading the book Wonder, I feel as if my I truly have a changed perspective on life. I enjoyed this book so much that I could not put it down. This book does everything in its power to portray the important message of believing in yourself. It is impeccable as a young child to believe in yourself and to not worry about what anybody else thinks of you. The main character, August, was born with a deformed face and worried about it every second of his life. He is home- schooled and is scared to go to school. By the end of the book, his new friends stood up for him after some kids from another school had been making fun of him. After this incident, August finally realized that it is okay to be different. I enjoyed this book a lot because of that reason. Everybody is different and it is okay to be different than your other classmates. Another reason I really liked this book was because of the interesting little pieces of handwriting that the author implemented into the book. The author gave us examples of what the teacher had wrote on to the board for that class, but the author didn’t just tell us what the teacher said, he showed us the teachers handwriting and how August could see what the board said. Technology is a huge part of our every days lives, so when the author added that aspect into the book I really thought that was awesome and something the benefited the book greatly. For example, when August was texting one of his friends from class, it wasn’t just manuscript on what they were saying, the author showed us what the phone screen looked like. The book showed who it was from, when it was said, and the exact message that was being said. When I become a teacher, I want to affect someone’s life in the same positive way that August affected his friends lives. August’s friends stood up for him, and they changed his life forever. I really enjoyed this book and hopefully somebody who reads this book enjoyed it as much as I did! ( )
  Fowler246 | Sep 18, 2018 |
Dieses Buch begeistert alle Altersgruppen. Das oft genutzte Motiv, dass es auf die inneren Werte ankommt, wird hier neu und ohne mahnenden Zeigefinger umgesetzt. Durch wechselnde Perspektiven kann der Leser nicht nur die Gefühle und Handlungen Auggies, sondern auch die seines Umfeldes verstehen. Der Leser entwickelt sich mit den sympathischen Charakteren. Die flüssige Sprache und die zahlreichen Details lassen die Geschichte persönlich und lebensnah wirken. Der Roman berührt den Leser und regt zum Nachdenken an.

Doctors have come from distant cities/just to see me/stand over my bed/disbelieving what they're seeing,
They say I must be one of the wonders/of god's own creation/and as far as they can see they can offer/no explanation
-Natalie Marchant, "Wonder"
For Russell, Caleb, and Joseph
I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid.
Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
Mr. Browne's Precepts: September - When given the choice between being righ or being kind, choose kind. -Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
February - It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. -James Thurber
March - Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. -Blaise Pascal
May - Do all the good you can,/By all the means you can,/In all the ways you can,/In all the places you can,/At all the times you can,/To all the people you can,/As long as you ever can. -John Wesley's Rule
Shall we make a new rule of life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary? -J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird
"Kinder than is necessary," he [Mr. Tushman] repeated. What a marvelous line, isn't it? Kinder than is necesary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed. Why I love that line, that concept, is that it reminds me that we carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of knindness. -Palacio, p. 300
... Joseph recognized the face of God in human form. It glimmered in their kindness to him, it glowed in their keenness, it hinted in their caring, ideed it caressed in their gaze. - Christopher Nolan, Under the Eye of the Clock
"It glimmered in their kindness to him ... Such a simple thing, kindness. Such a simple thing. A nice word of encouragment given when needed. An act of friendship. A passing smile." -Palacio, p. 300.
It's like how compass needles always point north, no matter which way you're facing. All those eyes are compasses, and I'm like the North Pole to them. [Auggie, 206]
I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives. [Auggie, 231]

Plot Summary: Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring and overcoming the taunts of his classmates.

Extensions: acceptance, perseverance
Menino com rosto
de quem todos fugia
brilha a luz do dia

(juliocutrim)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375869026, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month for Kids, February 2012: Wonder is a rare gem of a novel--beautifully written and populated by characters who linger in your memory and heart. August Pullman is a 10-year-old boy who likes Star Wars and Xbox, ordinary except for his jarring facial anomalies. Homeschooled all his life, August heads to public school for fifth grade and he is not the only one changed by the experience--something we learn about first-hand through the narratives of those who orbit his world. August’s internal dialogue and interactions with students and family ring true, and though remarkably courageous he comes across as a sweet, funny boy who wants the same things others want: friendship, understanding, and the freedom to be himself. “It is only with one’s heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.” From The Little Prince and R.J. Palacio’s remarkable novel, Wonder.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:57 -0400)

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunting and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,999,688 books! | Top bar: Always visible