Wonder by R J Palacio

by R J Palacio (Author)

Series: Wonder (1)

Member:marykaterennie
Title:Wonder
Authors:R J Palacio (Author)
Info:Corgi Childrens (2013)

Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Both stories involve a highly-challenged child with a supportive family and friends. The girl in Out of My Mind has cerebral palsy.
    Firegirl by Tony Abbott (kaledrina)
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (bell7)
    The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (FFortuna)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Alexandra.Moraiti)
    Alexandra.Moraiti: They are both well written compassionate, funny and humane books. Although Wonder isn't about a boy with a disability , both books tell the story of two individuals that manage the socially imposed difficulties of their 'conditions'. The narration in both is in first person in Wonder by August Pullman(Auggie ), his friends and family, and in The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-time by Christopher Boone, a boy with Asperger's Syndrome.… (more)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (bookel)
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    Kristy's Courage by Babbis Friis (bookel)
    If at Birth You Don't Succeed: My Adventures with Disaster and Destiny by Zach Anner (2wonderY)
    2wonderY: Success beyond physics with personality.
    Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Both are similarly moving stories about approaching difficult issues with kindness and compassion.
    So Much to Tell You by John Marsden (bookel)

English (983)  Catalan (7)  Spanish (6)  German (4)  French (3)  Italian (2)  Japanese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (1,007)
Mayores de 16 años
  Alba26 | Aug 21, 2019 |
August Pullman was born with a facial difference that, up until now, has prevented him from going to a mainstream school. Starting 5th grade at Beecher Prep, he wants nothing more than to be treated as an ordinary kid—but his new classmates can’t get past Auggie’s extraordinary face. WONDER begins from Auggie’s point of view, but soon switches to include his classmates, his sister, her boyfriend, and others. These perspectives converge in a portrait of one community’s struggle with empathy, compassion, and acceptance.
  wichitafriendsschool | Aug 8, 2019 |
Wonder by R.J. Palacio was one of the best books I have ever read. I instantly liked the main character, Auggie, and my heart went out to him. Getting to know him was fun because he is just like a lot of kids I know and I love his sense of humor. Auggie’s story made me think about how the students at my school would treat someone who looked so different from everyone else. The book was broken into sections and we got to learn about Auggie’s fifth grade experience through the eyes of some of the other characters. At first I thought I wouldn’t like this, but it actually turned out to be quite fascinating. I liked the change in perspective and it really made me think about how everyone close to him felt. If the author had only told the story from Auggie’s point of view then I really wouldn’t have been able to see the whole picture. I think anyone from 4th grade and up should read this remarkable book. If everyone read it they would know how important it is to be kinder than necessary. I know, if starting today, we were all a little kinder- the world would be a better place for everyone. When you read this book you will laugh out loud and you will cry. You will discover what it means to be a better person and you will find out some universal truths. You will learn how to deal with the mean people you encounter. One thing is for sure- you will not be the same person when you get to the end of the book. You will be better!
  Robinsonstef | Jul 10, 2019 |
My son, who will enter 5th grade this fall, told me I had to read this book. It makes me quite proud that my son loves this story. Wonder is full of compassion for others and how to be "a little kinder than necessary." Every fifth grader should read this book. They'll identify with one of the characters and learn a little about themselves as the story unfolds. As a teacher, I loved Mr. Browne's Precepts. I may even work a few of these into my lessons. Wonderful book, R.J. Palacio! ( )
  Beth.Clarke | Jun 28, 2019 |
"August Pullman is a boy that had a birth defect when he was born. The birth defect caused his face to become different from other people’s faces. He face is mutated and he has had several surgery to help him survive. Auggie just wants to fit in with society. He wants everyone to see him as ordinary. But, society has different plans."
  dneirick | Jun 13, 2019 |
Dieses Buch begeistert alle Altersgruppen. Das oft genutzte Motiv, dass es auf die inneren Werte ankommt, wird hier neu und ohne mahnenden Zeigefinger umgesetzt. Durch wechselnde Perspektiven kann der Leser nicht nur die Gefühle und Handlungen Auggies, sondern auch die seines Umfeldes verstehen. Der Leser entwickelt sich mit den sympathischen Charakteren. Die flüssige Sprache und die zahlreichen Details lassen die Geschichte persönlich und lebensnah wirken. Der Roman berührt den Leser und regt zum Nachdenken an.

R. J. Palacioprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Doctors have come from distant cities/just to see me/stand over my bed/disbelieving what they're seeing,
They say I must be one of the wonders/of god's own creation/and as far as they can see they can offer/no explanation
-Natalie Marchant, "Wonder"
For Russell, Caleb, and Joseph
I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid.
Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
Mr. Browne's Precepts: September - When given the choice between being righ or being kind, choose kind. -Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
February - It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. -James Thurber
March - Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. -Blaise Pascal
May - Do all the good you can,/By all the means you can,/In all the ways you can,/In all the places you can,/At all the times you can,/To all the people you can,/As long as you ever can. -John Wesley's Rule
Shall we make a new rule of life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary? -J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird
"Kinder than is necessary," he [Mr. Tushman] repeated. What a marvelous line, isn't it? Kinder than is necesary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed. Why I love that line, that concept, is that it reminds me that we carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of knindness. -Palacio, p. 300
... Joseph recognized the face of God in human form. It glimmered in their kindness to him, it glowed in their keenness, it hinted in their caring, ideed it caressed in their gaze. - Christopher Nolan, Under the Eye of the Clock
"It glimmered in their kindness to him ... Such a simple thing, kindness. Such a simple thing. A nice word of encouragment given when needed. An act of friendship. A passing smile." -Palacio, p. 300.
It's like how compass needles always point north, no matter which way you're facing. All those eyes are compasses, and I'm like the North Pole to them. [Auggie, 206]
I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives. [Auggie, 231]

Plot Summary: Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring and overcoming the taunts of his classmates.

Extensions: acceptance, perseverance
Menino com rosto
de quem todos fugia
brilha a luz do dia

(juliocutrim)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375869026, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month for Kids, February 2012: Wonder is a rare gem of a novel--beautifully written and populated by characters who linger in your memory and heart. August Pullman is a 10-year-old boy who likes Star Wars and Xbox, ordinary except for his jarring facial anomalies. Homeschooled all his life, August heads to public school for fifth grade and he is not the only one changed by the experience--something we learn about first-hand through the narratives of those who orbit his world. August’s internal dialogue and interactions with students and family ring true, and though remarkably courageous he comes across as a sweet, funny boy who wants the same things others want: friendship, understanding, and the freedom to be himself. “It is only with one’s heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.” From The Little Prince and R.J. Palacio’s remarkable novel, Wonder.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:57 -0400)

The funny, sweet and incredibly moving story of Auggie Pullman. Born with a terrible facial abnormality, this shy, bright ten-year-old has been home-schooled by his parents in an attempt to protect him from the stares and cruelty of the outside world. Now, for the first time, Auggie is being sent to a real school - and he's dreading it.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,474,214 books! | Top bar: Always visible