Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Authors:R. J. Palacio
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:*****

Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Firegirl by Tony Abbott (kaledrina)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Both stories involve a highly-challenged child with a supportive family and friends. The girl in Out of My Mind has cerebral palsy.
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (bell7)
    The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (FFortuna)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (bookel)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Alexandra.Moraiti)
    Alexandra.Moraiti: They are both well written compassionate, funny and humane books. Although Wonder isn't about a boy with a disability , both books tell the story of two individuals that manage the socially imposed difficulties of their 'conditions'. The narration in both is in first person in Wonder by August Pullman(Auggie ), his friends and family, and in The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-time by Christopher Boone, a boy with Asperger's Syndrome.… (more)
    Kristy's Courage by Babbis Friis (bookel)
    If at Birth You Don't Succeed: My Adventures with Disaster and Destiny by Zach Anner (2wonderY)
    2wonderY: Success beyond physics with personality.
    Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Both are similarly moving stories about approaching difficult issues with kindness and compassion.
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    So Much to Tell You by John Marsden (bookel)

English (665)  Catalan (6)  German (4)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  All (1)  All (682)
In my opinion this is one of the best books you could read to a child or a classroom because of the lessons of kindness, friendship, and growth taught. I I enjoyed how we saw the different perspectives of each character besides Auggie. Readers get to see the perspectives of Auggie’s loved ones and friends who begin to grow as they befriend an awesome individual. At first the kids are wary of befriending August because of the way he looks but begin to realize that he is just like them. I loved all the characters and how they were portrayed and developed throughout the novel. For example, Auggie in the beginning of the book doesn't want to go to school and wants to go unnoticed. He puts his head down as he walks through the hallways and doesn’t speak up much however, in the end he walks through the hallways with his head up high and has developed a great amount of courage because of all the obstacles he has overcome. There are many messages in Wonder but one I enjoy the most is courage. The courage it took Auggie to try something new and keep persevering through it all.
  KelseyHernandez | Mar 1, 2017 |
I really enjoyed the book Wonder written by R.J. Palacio because of the story line and how it included different perspectives of multiple characters to help tell the story. I had never read a book that was told in the view of multiple characters, the books I have read tend to be subjective. This always left me wanting to I have know what might be inside the other characters’ minds. For example, August, the main character, told majority of the story, however in the middle of the plot his sister Olivia (or Via), his best friend Jack and Summer, and even Olivia’s boyfriend and friend Justin and Miranda got a chance to tell their side of the plot in first person point of view. It really let you feel the emotions of almost all of the characters in the story, not just the main character. The author also nicely organized these dialogues or point of views into different “parts”; it was easier to understand this way. I also enjoyed the overall message the plot portrayed. For example multiple times throughout the story the theme of showing kindness was a huge factor. In the story Mr. Brownes September precept stated, “When given the choice between being right or being kind. Choose kind.” (Palacio, 48). The principle, Mr. Tushman also mentioned the concept of always being kind in his graduation speech at the end of the story as well. Many events always revolved around characters struggling to be kind, specifically to August. The challenges and message that was conveyed is a great one for young kids, as well as everybody, to learn from because unfortunately it is something people really struggle with every single day. In my experience a little kindness always goes a long way. ( )
  ElenaPuig | Mar 1, 2017 |
I really enjoyed reading this book and I think that every student in elementary school should read this book. I really think the message of this book is powerful and relates so well to what students in elementary and middle school go through. This book focuses on bullying, which is becoming a major issue in schools, and friendship. Students are able to learn the affects of bullying on a child and the child’s family and how one friendship can make all the difference. I like that the author included hardships and successful times for the main character. This book is really good for readers to broaden their perspectives and to see the serious issues of bullying. It was great to see where the character started and how he changed throughout the book. In the beginning of the book you would read, “the tears were so thick in my eyes I could barely see, but I couldn’t wipe them through the mask as I walked. I was looking for a little tiny spot to disappear into.” Seeing how August started there, feeling completely alone to the end of the book to where he felt accepted. “And as I walked up the steps to the stage, the most amazing thing happened: everyone started standing up. Not just the front rows, but the whole audience suddenly got on their feet, whooping, hollering, clapping like crazy. It was a standing ovation. For me.”
I also like the way the author wrote this book. Rather than just writing it in one viewpoint of the main character, he wrote in the viewpoints of the main character, August, his sister, and a few of his classmates. I think it was really interesting to read each of the characters different viewpoints because you’re able to read what they each think of the same situations and how they each individually deals with them. Each viewpoint was different and unique, and I think that it really added to the book rather than just reading it from one character’s viewpoint. ( )
  SamanthaTorsland | Feb 28, 2017 |
I really liked this book because it was a look into something that I was not familiar with. While I have read a lot about people with different disabilities, I haven't really read a book that centered on someone with differences that seemed so relatable. In this book, I felt that the language was very relaxed and informal due to the fact that this was written in 3rd person, which I enjoyed. This made the writing very engaging because it felt as though someone was talking to me directly. For example, when the main character, August is meeting his principal for the first time and tells the reader how he wants to laugh because of his silly name, but doesn't because he knows it's' wrong is something I might do myself. In my opinion, the characters are very believable. Once again, August, my favorite character makes himself quite relatable with his acceptance that people will always look at him funny and stare at him because on his looks. He rationalizes his disfigurement by comparing himself to a Wookie saying that if he saw one in school, he'd be in shock and stare as well. The plot of the book was was well paced in my opinion and never felt rushed to me at all. I quite liked how the novel was split up where we could observe other people's point of view by switching narrators. Overall, this novel was engaging and interesting because it shed light on a topic that people often shy away from simply because it's not relatable for many people, but although I didn't relate to August in many ways, I found myself feeling his pain and in that way, I felt like I was in fact relating to him. ( )
  nkiwal1 | Feb 28, 2017 |
I honestly really enjoyed reading this book and found it very interesting to read. The major thing that I found more interesting was how it was written in multiple different views. I thought that this made you understand the book as a whole rather than just one point of view.
The first thing that I thought was so cool was when Olivia’s (aka via) boyfriend never wrote with “proper English.” Rather he wrote in no capitals or correct punctuation. I found this really annoying when I was reading the book, however, when looked it up, I found that the author wrote it like this because he was a musical and music never used capital or correct punctuation. It really made his personality come out into the text.
The second thing that I found interesting was the writing. I loved how it all flowed and how it all came out at the end. For example, in the book Augie doesn’t really likes his friend Summer but there are some questions about what Summer thinks and feels. Fortunately, when it came to Summer’s turn to talk, you can understand what she was thinking or feeling at the time. Another example, was when Olivia’s friend called Augie but didn’t talk to Olivia. It always kept me wondering why but then when she came to talk, the truth came out, which I found so exciting.
The big idea or main idea of this book is the inclusion and accepting others. I believe that children have to realize that even if we all look different, we all have feelings and we have to treat everyone the same. I think this is extremely important for children to feel and understand without getting/hurting their peers. ( )
  OliviaLasure | Feb 27, 2017 |
Dieses Buch begeistert alle Altersgruppen. Das oft genutzte Motiv, dass es auf die inneren Werte ankommt, wird hier neu und ohne mahnenden Zeigefinger umgesetzt. Durch wechselnde Perspektiven kann der Leser nicht nur die Gefühle und Handlungen Auggies, sondern auch die seines Umfeldes verstehen. Der Leser entwickelt sich mit den sympathischen Charakteren. Die flüssige Sprache und die zahlreichen Details lassen die Geschichte persönlich und lebensnah wirken. Der Roman berührt den Leser und regt zum Nachdenken an.

Doctors have come from distant cities/just to see me/stand over my bed/disbelieving what they're seeing,
They say I must be one of the wonders/of god's own creation/and as far as they can see they can offer/no explanation
-Natalie Marchant, "Wonder"
For Russell, Caleb, and Joseph
I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid.
Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
Mr. Browne's Precepts: September - When given the choice between being righ or being kind, choose kind. -Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
February - It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. -James Thurber
March - Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. -Blaise Pascal
May - Do all the good you can,/By all the means you can,/In all the ways you can,/In all the places you can,/At all the times you can,/To all the people you can,/As long as you ever can. -John Wesley's Rule
Shall we make a new rule of life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary? -J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird
"Kinder than is necessary," he [Mr. Tushman] repeated. What a marvelous line, isn't it? Kinder than is necesary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed. Why I love that line, that concept, is that it reminds me that we carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of knindness. -Palacio, p. 300
... Joseph recognized the face of God in human form. It glimmered in their kindness to him, it glowed in their keenness, it hinted in their caring, ideed it caressed in their gaze. - Christopher Nolan, Under the Eye of the Clock
"It glimmered in their kindness to him ... Such a simple thing, kindness. Such a simple thing. A nice word of encouragment given when needed. An act of friendship. A passing smile." -Palacio, p. 300.
It's like how compass needles always point north, no matter which way you're facing. All those eyes are compasses, and I'm like the North Pole to them. [Auggie, 206]
I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives. [Auggie, 231]

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunts and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.

Born with a terrible facial abnormality, Auggie Pullman is shy, bright ten-year-old who has been home-schooled by his parents for his whole life, in an attempt to protect him from the stares and cruelty of the outside world. Now, for the first time, Auggie is being sent to a real school - and he's dreading it.
Menino com rosto
de quem todos fugia
brilha a luz do dia

(juliocutrim)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375869026, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month for Kids, February 2012: Wonder is a rare gem of a novel--beautifully written and populated by characters who linger in your memory and heart. August Pullman is a 10-year-old boy who likes Star Wars and Xbox, ordinary except for his jarring facial anomalies. Homeschooled all his life, August heads to public school for fifth grade and he is not the only one changed by the experience--something we learn about first-hand through the narratives of those who orbit his world. August’s internal dialogue and interactions with students and family ring true, and though remarkably courageous he comes across as a sweet, funny boy who wants the same things others want: friendship, understanding, and the freedom to be himself. “It is only with one’s heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.” From The Little Prince and R.J. Palacio’s remarkable novel, Wonder.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:57 -0400)

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunting and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,718,176 books! | Top bar: Always visible