Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Authors:R. J. Palacio
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:*****

Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Firegirl by Tony Abbott (kaledrina)
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (bell7)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Both stories involve a highly-challenged child with a supportive family and friends. The girl in Out of My Mind has cerebral palsy.
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (bookel)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Alexandra.Moraiti)
    Alexandra.Moraiti: They are both well written compassionate, funny and humane books. Although Wonder isn't about a boy with a disability , both books tell the story of two individuals that manage the socially imposed difficulties of their 'conditions'. The narration in both is in first person in Wonder by August Pullman(Auggie ), his friends and family, and in The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-time by Christopher Boone, a boy with Asperger's Syndrome.… (more)
    The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (FFortuna)
    Kristy's Courage by Babbis Friis-Baastad (bookel)
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    So Much to Tell You by John Marsden (bookel)

English (301)  Catalan (3)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  French (1)  All languages (310)
I thought this was an awesome book. One reason I loved this book was because of the plot and the organization. To me the story seemed to flow fast and even though it was a long book I blew through it fast. Also the chapters were fairly short so when reading it doesn’t seem like you are reading as much as you are. I also liked this book because of the characters, especially the main character Auggie. At the beginning you really get to know him well and know what he’s going through with his health issues. Throughout the book you get to follow him on his journey and as the book goes on I felt like I got to know him more and more. The main idea of the book is to never let your looks define who you are. Auggie had some facial deformations but that doesn’t define who he is as a person. ( )
  david.endres | Sep 30, 2014 |
This had to be one of the most heart-felt books I have ever read. The main idea of the story is to not judge a book by its cover. The book clearly shows this through many different ways. The author did the most obvious demonstration. By not including a picture of August, she gave the reader the ability to learn about and meet August without being distracted by his face. This allowed the reader to look past what he may look like and see amazing person underneath. By using different points of view throughout the book, the reader gets to see the story from different sides. Another example of the main theme was Summer. Even though at first she did judge August by view and only sat with him because she felt bad for him, she quickly realized that she liked the person much more than the face. Throughout the book Jack goes from faking to be August’s friend to not being his friend at all to then actually becoming a true friend. When Jack stands up for august he almost gets looked down upon from the other students except for August. This is where Jack learned that appearances weren’t everything ( )
  bfried10 | Sep 30, 2014 |
The question at the top of this review box reads, "What did you think?" As I sit here and try to answer that, all I can think is, "Wow!" I seriously want everyone to read this book - young and old alike. It is well-written and the characters come to life, grab your heart, and make you care.

It is difficult to summarize this book. You could say it about the external face we show the world, versus who we believe we are inside. It is about being different and wanting to be normal. It is about families and friendships. It is about the difficulties of middle school. There is a quote in the book from Henry Ward Beecher that reads, "He is the greatest whose strength carries up the most hearts by the attraction of his own." The heart of main character August Pullman will lift up your heart as you root for him to the final pages of this book. ( )
  stephanie.croaning | Sep 28, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book for several reasons. The first reason being, it’s ability to push readers to think about bullying, and what it is like to be different. Very rarely I have been given a book to read that deals in depth with a child who has either physical or mental deformities. Being that I have not been exposed to stories like this one, August captured my interest on the first page. On the first page he says, “I won’t describe what I look like. Whatever you’re thinking, it’s probably worse.” This story pushed me to empathize with Auggie in whatever way I could, because of how interested I became in his character. The second reason I enjoyed this story was because of the plot. I feel that the entire story was organized beautifully, and kept me wanting to read more. The power in the word choices the author chose for the first few chapters really drew me in, while the duration of the book let me experience fifth grade with August. The underlying message to this story is simply kindness. Bullying is so prevalent in the world today, that often children forget what it is like to be kind to one another. With the help of some very kind teachers and friends, August is able to have a wonderful year in fifth grade. ( )
  KimKolb | Sep 23, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book for numerous reasons including the plot, the characters, the point of view, and the main message of the story.
The plot was enjoyable because it was organized well and also followed the rise and fall of the conflict. The main conflict was for Auggie to be comfortable and confident with his physical deformity and for his peers to accept him. The conflict rose throughout the book until the climax, or when Auggie's peers stuck up for him when he was getting bullied at the movie night.
I also enjoyed the characters presented in this book and felt each character played a pivotal role in resolving Auggie's conflict. I enjoyed how the author presented each character with their own set of chapters told from their own point of view. My favorite character's point of view was from Miranda. I originally believed that Miranda was rude and inconsiderate for not remaining friends with Via until the author explained how her parents had gotten divorced through Miranda's point of view. The various points of view effectively allows readers to understand different parts of the story and different characters.
The main message of this story is for people to be confident with themselves no matter their various disabilities and capabilities. The message is portrayed in this book as Auggie learns to love himself despite his physical deformity. ( )
  jessicaedelman | Sep 22, 2014 |
Doctors have come from distant cities/just to see me/stand over my bed/disbelieving what they're seeing,
They say I must be one of the wonders/of god's own creation/and as far as they can see they can offer/no explanation
-Natalie Marchant, "Wonder"
For Russell, Caleb, and Joseph
I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid.
Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
Mr. Browne's Precepts: September - When given the choice between being righ or being kind, choose kind. -Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
February - It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. -James Thurber
March - Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. -Blaise Pascal
May - Do all the good you can,/By all the means you can,/In all the ways you can,/In all the places you can,/At all the times you can,/To all the people you can,/As long as you ever can. -John Wesley's Rule
Shall we make a new rule of life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary? -J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird
"Kinder than is necessary," he [Mr. Tushman] repeated. What a marvelous line, isn't it? Kinder than is necesary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed. Why I love that line, that concept, is that it reminds me that we carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of knindness. -Palacio, p. 300
... Joseph recognized the face of God in human form. It glimmered in their kindness to him, it glowed in their keenness, it hinted in their caring, ideed it caressed in their gaze. - Christopher Nolan, Under the Eye of the Clock
"It glimmered in their kindness to him ... Such a simple thing, kindness. Such a simple thing. A nice word of encouragment given when needed. An act of friendship. A passing smile." -Palacio, p. 300.
It's like how compass needles always point north, no matter which way you're facing. All those eyes are compasses, and I'm like the North Pole to them. [Auggie, 206]
I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives. [Auggie, 231]

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunts and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.

Born with a terrible facial abnormality, Auggie Pullman is shy, bright ten-year-old who has been home-schooled by his parents for his whole life, in an attempt to protect him from the stares and cruelty of the outside world. Now, for the first time, Auggie is being sent to a real school - and he's dreading it.
Menino com rosto
de quem todos fugia
brilha a luz do dia

(juliocutrim)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375869026, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month for Kids, February 2012: Wonder is a rare gem of a novel--beautifully written and populated by characters who linger in your memory and heart. August Pullman is a 10-year-old boy who likes Star Wars and Xbox, ordinary except for his jarring facial anomalies. Homeschooled all his life, August heads to public school for fifth grade and he is not the only one changed by the experience--something we learn about first-hand through the narratives of those who orbit his world. August’s internal dialogue and interactions with students and family ring true, and though remarkably courageous he comes across as a sweet, funny boy who wants the same things others want: friendship, understanding, and the freedom to be himself. “It is only with one’s heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.” From The Little Prince and R.J. Palacio’s remarkable novel, Wonder.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:22 -0400)

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunting and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,975,391 books! | Top bar: Always visible