Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Authors:R. J. Palacio
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:*****

Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Firegirl by Tony Abbott (kaledrina)
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (bell7)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Both stories involve a highly-challenged child with a supportive family and friends. The girl in Out of My Mind has cerebral palsy.
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (bookel)
    The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (FFortuna)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Alexandra.Moraiti)
    Alexandra.Moraiti: They are both well written compassionate, funny and humane books. Although Wonder isn't about a boy with a disability , both books tell the story of two individuals that manage the socially imposed difficulties of their 'conditions'. The narration in both is in first person in Wonder by August Pullman(Auggie ), his friends and family, and in The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-time by Christopher Boone, a boy with Asperger's Syndrome.… (more)
    Kristy's Courage by Babbis Friis-Baastad (bookel)
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    So Much to Tell You by John Marsden (bookel)

English (400)  Catalan (4)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  All languages (411)
I like this book for three different reasons. First, was the organization of the plot. The story starts off with August going to school and the nerves that come along with it. August was nervous about how people would react to his deformity and he encounters some obstacles along the way from people who aren't very accepting of him. Later, he realizes that people can be cruel but they can also be very kind and accept him for the person he is and not for the way that he looks. Next, I really enjoyed how the book was written. The author strayed away from describing what August looked like until later in the book. This gave the reader an opportunity to get to know August as a person first before the physical description of him was given, which lets the reader connect with him on a more intimate level. Last, I really loved how well the author developed the characters. The book presented itself in a unique way where each chapter was from the perspective of a different person. So, although we got to know August very well, we were also able to get to know him from the view point of others. The Author did an excellent job at developing all the characters and really making you feel angry towards those who hurt August such as Julian, and appreciate those who are kind to him such as Summer. The big idea of this book is to not judge people by their appearance because that is all it is, what they look like, and what matters the most is what kind of person they are on the inside. ( )
  agassa1 | Apr 20, 2015 |
I liked this book for three reasons. First I loved the characters in the book. They were well described. I especially like August's character. He is well developed in the chapters where he is speaking, but is also still developing when other characters in the story are sharing from their perspective. The second perspective the reader encounters is Via. Via describes what her brothers facial deformities look like. That was very interesting to read and finally get a description of what his face could possibly look like. Also, Julian's mom was someone I absolutely hated. I never thought I could feel so much hate towards a character. The author did a wonderful job of developing her into an atrocious character. Second, the plot was well organized. The story begins with August going to school for the first time. He then encounters the problem of middle school and how difficult it could be for someone even without the facial deformities. He learned in the past children can be cruel, but sometimes they don't mean it. In this story, Julian was not being mean by accident. He was deliberately making fun of him. Lastly, this book pushes the reader into thinking about a hard topic- judging people before you know them. This coincides with the big idea of this book. Just because a person may look a different way than what a person is used to seeing it does not mean they know the person who appears different. In this story August was just a normal kid going to middle school, but looked different than others. Because of this, students judged before they knew him. People need to understand not to judge just because of looks. This book is excellent and I highly recommend it. ( )
  ndange1 | Apr 15, 2015 |
Wow this book is truly beautiful and makes you appreciate the smaller things in life that you probably take for-granted.
August is a beautiful character who is well thought out and developed. His journey is heart-warming, emotional, shocking yet inspirational. Such a strong personality and so brave.
Every character in this story brings a different emotion to the table and gives you a reason to keep believing that there is more good than bad within humanity. They all have different strengths and weaknesses that everyone can understand to some level and they just all come together to provide an all round perspective and their own strengths to the storytelling.

I'm still not completely sure how I feel about the way the "chapters" are broken down with the headings, for me they tend to break up the flow a little and are unnecessary as I found myself not even taking notice of them after a while.
I did like how the different child characters central to Auggies life have their own parts in the book though again I think some were unnecessary (Justin being the main one as he wasn't really a central character and I didn't really have the same emotional connection with him as the others).

This book really got under my skin and had me bawling in places and was just so raw and captivating and I loved it. It's also a quick read that you can't help but get addicted to.

I'm giving this book 4 1/2 stars, losing out on half a star just for the parts I felt were unnecessary and picked at the flow a little.

I DEFINITELY recommend this book; it's just beautiful. ( )
  Amberlouichu | Apr 15, 2015 |
This is one of the best kid's books I have ever read. Students from all background will be able to connect with this story. ( )
  Josh.Hegna | Apr 12, 2015 |
In my opinion this is a great book. It is very engaging with the humor. For example, on page 64, Jack is asking Auggie why he doesn’t get plastic surgery. Auggie’s response is “Hello? This is after plastic surgery!” When I read that I burst out laughing. I am glad that the main character is comfortable in his own skin and can kid around. I also liked how that characters were believable. People will just stare at people with face deformities and not know how to act around them. Also, it was eye opening to see how Auggie’s peers acted around him. They never touched him or talked to him, like he was the moldy cheese in Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Some students called him names behind his back, like freak, rat boy, and Freddy Krueger. There will always be students that are cruel and others that are kind. This book pushes readers to broaden their perspectives and not to look down on others because they have a deformity. Clearly, Auggie has a working brain and acts like any other child, but because he has a deformity everyone doesn’t know how to act around him. The big idea of the story is to accept others because everyone is trying to fit in like you. ( )
  moaks1 | Apr 10, 2015 |
Dieses Buch begeistert alle Altersgruppen. Das oft genutzte Motiv, dass es auf die inneren Werte ankommt, wird hier neu und ohne mahnenden Zeigefinger umgesetzt. Durch wechselnde Perspektiven kann der Leser nicht nur die Gefühle und Handlungen Auggies, sondern auch die seines Umfeldes verstehen. Der Leser entwickelt sich mit den sympathischen Charakteren. Die flüssige Sprache und die zahlreichen Details lassen die Geschichte persönlich und lebensnah wirken. Der Roman berührt den Leser und regt zum Nachdenken an.

Doctors have come from distant cities/just to see me/stand over my bed/disbelieving what they're seeing,
They say I must be one of the wonders/of god's own creation/and as far as they can see they can offer/no explanation
-Natalie Marchant, "Wonder"
For Russell, Caleb, and Joseph
I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid.
Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
Mr. Browne's Precepts: September - When given the choice between being righ or being kind, choose kind. -Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
February - It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. -James Thurber
March - Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. -Blaise Pascal
May - Do all the good you can,/By all the means you can,/In all the ways you can,/In all the places you can,/At all the times you can,/To all the people you can,/As long as you ever can. -John Wesley's Rule
Shall we make a new rule of life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary? -J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird
"Kinder than is necessary," he [Mr. Tushman] repeated. What a marvelous line, isn't it? Kinder than is necesary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed. Why I love that line, that concept, is that it reminds me that we carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of knindness. -Palacio, p. 300
... Joseph recognized the face of God in human form. It glimmered in their kindness to him, it glowed in their keenness, it hinted in their caring, ideed it caressed in their gaze. - Christopher Nolan, Under the Eye of the Clock
"It glimmered in their kindness to him ... Such a simple thing, kindness. Such a simple thing. A nice word of encouragment given when needed. An act of friendship. A passing smile." -Palacio, p. 300.
It's like how compass needles always point north, no matter which way you're facing. All those eyes are compasses, and I'm like the North Pole to them. [Auggie, 206]
I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives. [Auggie, 231]

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunts and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.

Born with a terrible facial abnormality, Auggie Pullman is shy, bright ten-year-old who has been home-schooled by his parents for his whole life, in an attempt to protect him from the stares and cruelty of the outside world. Now, for the first time, Auggie is being sent to a real school - and he's dreading it.
Menino com rosto
de quem todos fugia
brilha a luz do dia

(juliocutrim)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375869026, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month for Kids, February 2012: Wonder is a rare gem of a novel--beautifully written and populated by characters who linger in your memory and heart. August Pullman is a 10-year-old boy who likes Star Wars and Xbox, ordinary except for his jarring facial anomalies. Homeschooled all his life, August heads to public school for fifth grade and he is not the only one changed by the experience--something we learn about first-hand through the narratives of those who orbit his world. August’s internal dialogue and interactions with students and family ring true, and though remarkably courageous he comes across as a sweet, funny boy who wants the same things others want: friendship, understanding, and the freedom to be himself. “It is only with one’s heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.” From The Little Prince and R.J. Palacio’s remarkable novel, Wonder.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:22 -0400)

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunting and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,730,077 books! | Top bar: Always visible