Wonder by R. J. Palacio

by R. J. Palacio

Authors:R. J. Palacio
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 320 pages

Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Firegirl by Tony Abbott (kaledrina)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Both stories involve a highly-challenged child with a supportive family and friends. The girl in Out of My Mind has cerebral palsy.
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (bell7)
    The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (FFortuna)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (bookel)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Alexandra.Moraiti)
    Alexandra.Moraiti: They are both well written compassionate, funny and humane books. Although Wonder isn't about a boy with a disability , both books tell the story of two individuals that manage the socially imposed difficulties of their 'conditions'. The narration in both is in first person in Wonder by August Pullman(Auggie ), his friends and family, and in The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-time by Christopher Boone, a boy with Asperger's Syndrome.… (more)
    Kristy's Courage by Babbis Friis-Baastad (bookel)
    If at Birth You Don't Succeed: My Adventures with Disaster and Destiny by Zach Anner (2wonderY)
    2wonderY: Success beyond physics with personality.
    Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Both are similarly moving stories about approaching difficult issues with kindness and compassion.
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    So Much to Tell You by John Marsden (bookel)

English (617)  Catalan (6)  German (4)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (634)
This book was touching and heartbreaking. I enjoyed how it was told through 8 different narrators. I also love how Wonder captured the dualities of childhood, how mean and how sweet we can be with one another. It makes you look back and wonder if you treated everyone that was different with the respect or friendship that they deserved. I loved how each new challenge for Auggie was so relatable and the author made us really care what was going to happen next. The story's message is a reminder for us all that when we see someone on the street that is different or "scary," that we think to Auggie's story and realize that each of us has a story and each of us wants to feel accepted and loved. We all can make a bigger impact on the lives of those we interact with than we think. ( )
  mdinar2 | Oct 27, 2016 |
This was a very thought-provoking, engaging book that follows the story of August Pullman, a fifth grade student entering the public school system for the first time. Written from the first-person perspective of August who has a severe genetic facial deformity, this story is brutally honest, humorous and beautifully written. The book also includes the perspectives of August's sister, Via, and various characters in the book who share their thoughts and reason for their actions as the story progresses. As the reader follows August through his first year in fifth grade the reader gains empathy as August deals with the bullying and scorning that result from his facial deformity, creates strong friendships, faces his fears, and eventually gains confidence in who he is.

I believe this is a phenomenal book to have in a classroom for upper elementary students as it deals with the important themes of diversity, deformity and dealing with people who are labeled "other". This book allows for students to take perspectives different from their own and will help students develop empathy for those who may appear different from them. Students will be challenged to have the courage to stand up for others who may be the target of bullies. This book inspires readers to be more than a by-stander and to become a friend.

-Maine Student Book Award
-Vermont's Dorothy Canfield Fisher Children's Book Award
-Mark Twain Award
-Hawaii's Nene Award
-Junior Young Reader's Choice Award

Award Descriptions:
-Maine Student Book Award: The award is determined each year by participating Maine students in grades four through eight. The winning book is selected from a reading list that is compiled by the MSBA committee.
-Vermont's Dorothy Canfield Fisher Children's Book Award: The Dorothy Canfield Fisher Book Award was created to honor excellence in children's literature. Each year since 1957, Vermont students in grades four through eight have selected their favorite book from a list of 30 nominees.
-Mark Twain Award: A children's book award which annually recognizes one book selected by vote of Missouri schoolchildren from a list prepared by librarians and volunteer readers.
-Hawaii's Nene Award: A children's book award which annually is voted on by Hawaii's elementary and middle school children as their favorite fiction book.
-Junior Young Reader's Choice Award: The Young Reader's Choice Award is a set of three annual awards for books selected by vote of schoolchildren in the Pacific Northwest, administered by the Pacific Northwest Library Association (PNLA). It was inaugurated in 1940, as a single annual award, which makes it the oldest "children's choice" award in the U.S. and Canada.

APA Citation: Palacio, R. J. (2012). Wonder. New York: Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers. ( )
  BrittaSchlect | Oct 23, 2016 |
This is a wonderful story to read. I had mixed emotions while reading. Sometimes I would laugh, other times I would be mad. However, I absolutely loved this book and would recommend anyone to read it. I liked how there were different point of views from the characters. Every character had something of their own to worry about. Even though August thought differently. The writing is great to where older students and parents would enjoy as well! I liked how the author gave each character their own section. Where each section had the characters opinion and how they felt about the situation.

It conquers the subject of bullying in a unique way. Showing to all readers that no one is truly perfect. It pushes readers to think about being kinder than necessary and to appreciate what you have. Overall, a lot of positive portrayals of students and families showing good morals. ( )
  mwatki5 | Oct 20, 2016 |
I loved this book for two reasons. The first reason is because of the different perspectives that the story is told from. My favorite perspective was Auggie's sister, Via. I found it interesting to see her view on Auggie's situation and how she would become frustrated with people that stared at her brother. The second reason why I loved this book is because it was a learning experience for me. I learned that people with disabilities do not like to be treated any different than anyone else. Auggie never liked the accommodations that his teachers gave him. As a future teacher, I will attempt to make accommodations for students with disabilities in a subtle way in order to avoid singling them out from the class. The message of this book is to give young readers a perspective of a student with a disability in order for them to gain sympathy for someone different than them. ( )
  mbands4 | Oct 18, 2016 |
A must read for all children who have ever felt that they are different or don't fit in. Also for siblings and friends of a child with differences. This is a in depth look at the real feelings involved in making the right choices, feeling empathy for those on the margins, and standing up for yourself and others. Love love love this book!
  SmuckersLewis | Oct 14, 2016 |
Dieses Buch begeistert alle Altersgruppen. Das oft genutzte Motiv, dass es auf die inneren Werte ankommt, wird hier neu und ohne mahnenden Zeigefinger umgesetzt. Durch wechselnde Perspektiven kann der Leser nicht nur die Gefühle und Handlungen Auggies, sondern auch die seines Umfeldes verstehen. Der Leser entwickelt sich mit den sympathischen Charakteren. Die flüssige Sprache und die zahlreichen Details lassen die Geschichte persönlich und lebensnah wirken. Der Roman berührt den Leser und regt zum Nachdenken an.
Doctors have come from distant cities/just to see me/stand over my bed/disbelieving what they're seeing,
They say I must be one of the wonders/of god's own creation/and as far as they can see they can offer/no explanation
-Natalie Marchant, "Wonder"
For Russell, Caleb, and Joseph
I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid.
Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
Mr. Browne's Precepts: September - When given the choice between being righ or being kind, choose kind. -Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
February - It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. -James Thurber
March - Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. -Blaise Pascal
May - Do all the good you can,/By all the means you can,/In all the ways you can,/In all the places you can,/At all the times you can,/To all the people you can,/As long as you ever can. -John Wesley's Rule
Shall we make a new rule of life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary? -J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird
"Kinder than is necessary," he [Mr. Tushman] repeated. What a marvelous line, isn't it? Kinder than is necesary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed. Why I love that line, that concept, is that it reminds me that we carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of knindness. -Palacio, p. 300
... Joseph recognized the face of God in human form. It glimmered in their kindness to him, it glowed in their keenness, it hinted in their caring, ideed it caressed in their gaze. - Christopher Nolan, Under the Eye of the Clock
"It glimmered in their kindness to him ... Such a simple thing, kindness. Such a simple thing. A nice word of encouragment given when needed. An act of friendship. A passing smile." -Palacio, p. 300.
It's like how compass needles always point north, no matter which way you're facing. All those eyes are compasses, and I'm like the North Pole to them. [Auggie, 206]
I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives. [Auggie, 231]

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunts and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.

Born with a terrible facial abnormality, Auggie Pullman is shy, bright ten-year-old who has been home-schooled by his parents for his whole life, in an attempt to protect him from the stares and cruelty of the outside world. Now, for the first time, Auggie is being sent to a real school - and he's dreading it.
Menino com rosto
de quem todos fugia
brilha a luz do dia

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375869026, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month for Kids, February 2012: Wonder is a rare gem of a novel--beautifully written and populated by characters who linger in your memory and heart. August Pullman is a 10-year-old boy who likes Star Wars and Xbox, ordinary except for his jarring facial anomalies. Homeschooled all his life, August heads to public school for fifth grade and he is not the only one changed by the experience--something we learn about first-hand through the narratives of those who orbit his world. August’s internal dialogue and interactions with students and family ring true, and though remarkably courageous he comes across as a sweet, funny boy who wants the same things others want: friendship, understanding, and the freedom to be himself. “It is only with one’s heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.” From The Little Prince and R.J. Palacio’s remarkable novel, Wonder.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:57 -0400)

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunting and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,827,099 books! | Top bar: Always visible