Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Authors:R. J. Palacio
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:*****

Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Firegirl by Tony Abbott (kaledrina)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Both stories involve a highly-challenged child with a supportive family and friends. The girl in Out of My Mind has cerebral palsy.
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (bell7)
    The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (FFortuna)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (bookel)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Alexandra.Moraiti)
    Alexandra.Moraiti: They are both well written compassionate, funny and humane books. Although Wonder isn't about a boy with a disability , both books tell the story of two individuals that manage the socially imposed difficulties of their 'conditions'. The narration in both is in first person in Wonder by August Pullman(Auggie ), his friends and family, and in The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-time by Christopher Boone, a boy with Asperger's Syndrome.… (more)
    Kristy's Courage by Babbis Friis (bookel)
    If at Birth You Don't Succeed: My Adventures with Disaster and Destiny by Zach Anner (2wonderY)
    2wonderY: Success beyond physics with personality.
    Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Both are similarly moving stories about approaching difficult issues with kindness and compassion.
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    So Much to Tell You by John Marsden (bookel)

English (705)  Catalan (6)  German (4)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  All (1)  All (722)
This is amazing, uplifting story about a ten-year-old boy named August or "Auggie". Auggie was born with a very severe face deformity that has made it really difficult for him to live life like a normal ten-year-old. Auggie has the support of his beautiful sister Via, his mother and his father. He was always homeschooled by his mother but it was time for him to go to a public school. This was a major change for Auggie that not only worried him but his family as well. Auggie faces some struggles at first with children making fun of his unusual appearance but eventually he goes through some life changing experiences that life him up. Readers will be surprised by the characters that stick by Auggie's side and look past his appearance. As I read this book, there were time where I felt like crying for Auggie because of everything he went through, there were times were I laughed and times where I felt relieved. The author of this book does an amazing job of breaking the story up into sections told in the perspective of the different characters. Most books just focus on one or two of the characters and how they feel but in this book you are able to understand how all of the characters are thinking. I believe this is a great book to share with children in 4th-6th grade depending on the maturity level because it does have such an important message of accepting everyone even if they look different from you. ( )
  Jmader2 | Apr 26, 2017 |
In my opinion, this is a great and inspiring book. There are many aspects of this book that kept me interested, the first being the point of view. This book is written in first person but it is not just from one perspective. There are five different points of views throughout the book giving you a chance to learn even more about these different characters. Another thing I liked about this book is the message. Acceptance, or don’t judge a book by its cover, is the big message that I took away from this book. At first, the other students did not like Auggie because of the way he looked but by the end, they realized that they had judged him too harshly because he was actually really funny and cool to be around. The other students finally learned to see Auggie as a regular kid, whereas in Auggies’ eyes, “To me, though, I’m just me. An ordinary kid.” He has always been that ordinary kid. Lastly, I liked the plot of the story, Palacio did a good job of keeping the reader engaged and wanting more. There were many suspenseful moments that would leave me wanting to read the next chapter because I had to find out what happened. ( )
  awelch12 | Apr 24, 2017 |
I liked this book for 3 different reasons. First I liked the point of view the author used throughout the text. The author did this in a different way then I ever have seen before and I that is one of the reasons I really enjoyed this book. The author used first person point of view, but instead of only having the story be told through one person's point of view, she had the story told through 5 different points of view. Each of the main characters of the book had their own section in the story to tell their story the way the saw it so the reader is able to really put themselves in that characters shoes through their part of the book. Another reason why I enjoyed this book was the plot of the story was very interesting and really was able to keep me engaged throughout the entire book. The plot really keeps a reader wanting to read to find out what will happen next or who the next person is going to be to tell their story. The author added bits of suspense throughout the plot. For example, when Auggie got in a fight and lost his hearing aids, the author made you keep reading to find out what was going to happen in that part of the story. Another example is when Via is going to be the star of the show instead of Miranda and it made you want to read that part of the story to see why Miranda did that for Via. Last, I liked this book because of the characters. The author really made the characters come to life and seem like real actual people and that this could actually happen. Each character was able to tell their story and it allowed for the reader to really see how that person is feeling and gives them the opportunity to get to know that character in a different way. For example, when reading Via's part of the book, you believe that Miranda is sick and that is why Via gets to be the star of the show but when you read Miranda's part of the story you find the real reason why and you see that Miranda is not as bad as you might have thought and you learn more about her than what other people say about her. The main message in this story is friendship, family, and acceptance because every character in this story has struggled with each but at the end of the day, all are okay because they have their family and friends. ( )
  kblanc2 | Apr 24, 2017 |
10 year old Auggie is headed for middle school for the first time in his life. He has been living with a facial deformity for his whole life. The book, told from Auggie's perspective as well as the people around him, shows how kindness goes a long way.
  kathleenkarakey | Apr 23, 2017 |
This book is about a young boy who has a rare facial deformity. He has to deal with going to school, making friends, and an abusive father.
  morganlasher | Apr 21, 2017 |
This chapter is about a young boy who has a facial deformity. Being home schooled throughout his elementary years, Auggie's parents decide to put him into a private middle school. He soon makes friends, but like any typical middle school bullies lurk throughout. This book describes how Auggie deals with his deformity and bullies. Auggie's character is so positive and it shows how one can endure certain things with a good attitude. This book is for middle school students. It can help deal with bullies and deformities. It can also be massed to show how different point of views can change the story.

Dieses Buch begeistert alle Altersgruppen. Das oft genutzte Motiv, dass es auf die inneren Werte ankommt, wird hier neu und ohne mahnenden Zeigefinger umgesetzt. Durch wechselnde Perspektiven kann der Leser nicht nur die Gefühle und Handlungen Auggies, sondern auch die seines Umfeldes verstehen. Der Leser entwickelt sich mit den sympathischen Charakteren. Die flüssige Sprache und die zahlreichen Details lassen die Geschichte persönlich und lebensnah wirken. Der Roman berührt den Leser und regt zum Nachdenken an.

Doctors have come from distant cities/just to see me/stand over my bed/disbelieving what they're seeing,
They say I must be one of the wonders/of god's own creation/and as far as they can see they can offer/no explanation
-Natalie Marchant, "Wonder"
For Russell, Caleb, and Joseph
I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid.
Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
Mr. Browne's Precepts: September - When given the choice between being righ or being kind, choose kind. -Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
February - It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. -James Thurber
March - Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. -Blaise Pascal
May - Do all the good you can,/By all the means you can,/In all the ways you can,/In all the places you can,/At all the times you can,/To all the people you can,/As long as you ever can. -John Wesley's Rule
Shall we make a new rule of life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary? -J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird
"Kinder than is necessary," he [Mr. Tushman] repeated. What a marvelous line, isn't it? Kinder than is necesary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed. Why I love that line, that concept, is that it reminds me that we carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of knindness. -Palacio, p. 300
... Joseph recognized the face of God in human form. It glimmered in their kindness to him, it glowed in their keenness, it hinted in their caring, ideed it caressed in their gaze. - Christopher Nolan, Under the Eye of the Clock
"It glimmered in their kindness to him ... Such a simple thing, kindness. Such a simple thing. A nice word of encouragment given when needed. An act of friendship. A passing smile." -Palacio, p. 300.
It's like how compass needles always point north, no matter which way you're facing. All those eyes are compasses, and I'm like the North Pole to them. [Auggie, 206]
I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives. [Auggie, 231]

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunts and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.

Born with a terrible facial abnormality, Auggie Pullman is shy, bright ten-year-old who has been home-schooled by his parents for his whole life, in an attempt to protect him from the stares and cruelty of the outside world. Now, for the first time, Auggie is being sent to a real school - and he's dreading it.
Menino com rosto
de quem todos fugia
brilha a luz do dia

(juliocutrim)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375869026, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month for Kids, February 2012: Wonder is a rare gem of a novel--beautifully written and populated by characters who linger in your memory and heart. August Pullman is a 10-year-old boy who likes Star Wars and Xbox, ordinary except for his jarring facial anomalies. Homeschooled all his life, August heads to public school for fifth grade and he is not the only one changed by the experience--something we learn about first-hand through the narratives of those who orbit his world. August’s internal dialogue and interactions with students and family ring true, and though remarkably courageous he comes across as a sweet, funny boy who wants the same things others want: friendship, understanding, and the freedom to be himself. “It is only with one’s heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.” From The Little Prince and R.J. Palacio’s remarkable novel, Wonder.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:57 -0400)

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunting and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,901,393 books! | Top bar: Always visible