Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Authors:R. J. Palacio
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:*****

Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Firegirl by Tony Abbott (kaledrina)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Both stories involve a highly-challenged child with a supportive family and friends. The girl in Out of My Mind has cerebral palsy.
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (bell7)
    Anything but typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Alexandra.Moraiti)
    Alexandra.Moraiti: They are both well written compassionate, funny and humane books. Although Wonder isn't about a boy with a disability , both books tell the story of two individuals that manage the socially imposed difficulties of their 'conditions'. The narration in both is in first person in Wonder by August Pullman(Auggie ), his friends and family, and in The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-time by Christopher Boone, a boy with Asperger's Syndrome.… (more)
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (bookel)
    Kristy's Courage by Babbis Friis-Baastad (bookel)
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    So Much to Tell You by John Marsden (bookel)
    The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (FFortuna)

English (252)  Catalan (3)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  French (1)  All languages (261)
Tags: Information, Faces, Looks

Summary: A book with a meaning that is pretty simple, take care of your body and face or you might be like the person in the book...a deformity to his face. It is not meant to scare or scare off kids/adults, but to bring attention and information about health and safety of facial deformities.

Personal Reaction: I really enjoy this book. Not for the hottible things that could happen to your face, but to explain that everyone needs to pay attention and beware that life happens.

Extension Ideas: Allowing students to make faces out of noddles, cotton balls, buttons, or dirt always children to use their mind and get their hands dirty with the house. ( )
  armyflyingguy | Jul 22, 2014 |
This book definitely has a powerful lesson to teach children. I did feel the writing was rather simplistic for me, which pulled me out of the story a bit, but I didn't deduct from my rating due to that. It wouldn't be fair, given the age level this is written for and the fact I'm an adult reader. It's just an important point for other adults who might care to read it, particularly as it's something that I usually have no issue ignoring.

That being said, Wonder has a great story to tell about a young boy with a facial deformity so severe that it horrifies people and makes some even run away screaming. After being taught by his mother at home for his early school years, the decision is made that he should attend a regular school so that he can advance beyond the point where his mother can help him. This book is the story of his first year at school, and it certainly isn't easy.

One interesting element is that the narrative voice changes several times in the book, though some of those voices are done better than others. But, we as readers get to hear the perspectives of August's sister, some of his friends, and so on. Each one does add to the story, and provides good insight into where the character is coming from, but the shifts in character do also seem to interrupt the flow and jar the reader a couple times, or at least that was my experience. It is clear as you read the book why it was done though, as it offers information and insight that August is not privy to, often thankfully so.

In any case, I definitely recommend this as a book to read with early-elementary up to middle school aged kids, when they can really learn from it. I say to read it with them because there is a lot to talk about in the book and having those discussions is really important. ( )
  TiffanyAK | Jul 8, 2014 |
There are no words. It is that good. ( )
  Renee.Brandon | Jul 5, 2014 |
I loved this book - it should be required reading for all 5th graders. The message was so simple but so powerful. These are believable characters that kids can relate to. ( )
  susan.h.schofield | Jul 3, 2014 |
I know this book seems to be universally adored, but I found it too lovey-dovey and saccharine. Not that I'm sorry I read it. ( )
  sleahey | Jun 27, 2014 |
Doctors have come from distant cities/just to see me/stand over my bed/disbelieving what they're seeing,
They say I must be one of the wonders/of god's own creation/and as far as they can see they can offer/no explanation
-Natalie Marchant, "Wonder"
For Russell, Caleb, and Joseph
I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid.
Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
Mr. Browne's Precepts: September - When given the choice between being righ or being kind, choose kind. -Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
February - It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. -James Thurber
March - Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. -Blaise Pascal
May - Do all the good you can,/By all the means you can,/In all the ways you can,/In all the places you can,/At all the times you can,/To all the people you can,/As long as you ever can. -John Wesley's Rule
Shall we make a new rule of life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary? -J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird
"Kinder than is necessary," he [Mr. Tushman] repeated. What a marvelous line, isn't it? Kinder than is necesary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed. Why I love that line, that concept, is that it reminds me that we carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of knindness. -Palacio, p. 300
... Joseph recognized the face of God in human form. It glimmered in their kindness to him, it glowed in their keenness, it hinted in their caring, ideed it caressed in their gaze. - Christopher Nolan, Under the Eye of the Clock
"It glimmered in their kindness to him ... Such a simple thing, kindness. Such a simple thing. A nice word of encouragment given when needed. An act of friendship. A passing smile." -Palacio, p. 300.
It's like how compass needles always point north, no matter which way you're facing. All those eyes are compasses, and I'm like the North Pole to them. [Auggie, 206]
I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives. [Auggie, 231]

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunts and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.

Born with a terrible facial abnormality, Auggie Pullman is shy, bright ten-year-old who has been home-schooled by his parents for his whole life, in an attempt to protect him from the stares and cruelty of the outside world. Now, for the first time, Auggie is being sent to a real school - and he's dreading it.
Menino com rosto
de quem todos fugia
brilha a luz do dia

(juliocutrim)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375869026, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month for Kids, February 2012: Wonder is a rare gem of a novel--beautifully written and populated by characters who linger in your memory and heart. August Pullman is a 10-year-old boy who likes Star Wars and Xbox, ordinary except for his jarring facial anomalies. Homeschooled all his life, August heads to public school for fifth grade and he is not the only one changed by the experience--something we learn about first-hand through the narratives of those who orbit his world. August’s internal dialogue and interactions with students and family ring true, and though remarkably courageous he comes across as a sweet, funny boy who wants the same things others want: friendship, understanding, and the freedom to be himself. “It is only with one’s heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.” From The Little Prince and R.J. Palacio’s remarkable novel, Wonder.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:22 -0400)

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunting and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,620,081 books! | Top bar: Always visible