Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Title:Wonder
Authors:R. J. Palacio
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:young adult, fiction, deformity, bullying, kindness

Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Firegirl by Tony Abbott (kaledrina)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Both stories involve a highly-challenged child with a supportive family and friends. The girl in Out of My Mind has cerebral palsy.
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (bell7)
    The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (FFortuna)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (bookel)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Alexandra.Moraiti)
    Alexandra.Moraiti: They are both well written compassionate, funny and humane books. Although Wonder isn't about a boy with a disability , both books tell the story of two individuals that manage the socially imposed difficulties of their 'conditions'. The narration in both is in first person in Wonder by August Pullman(Auggie ), his friends and family, and in The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-time by Christopher Boone, a boy with Asperger's Syndrome.… (more)
    Kristy's Courage by Babbis Friis (bookel)
    If at Birth You Don't Succeed: My Adventures with Disaster and Destiny by Zach Anner (2wonderY)
    2wonderY: Success beyond physics with personality.
    Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Both are similarly moving stories about approaching difficult issues with kindness and compassion.
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    So Much to Tell You by John Marsden (bookel)

English (708)  Catalan (6)  German (4)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  All (1)  All (725)
This is a story of courage and resilience. 10-year-old Auggie was born with severe facial abnormalities. Up until now he had been home-schooled and protected but it is time for Auggie to step out into the world and attend a regular private middle school. Avoided and bullied, Auggie has a hard time finding acceptance amongst his peers; however, with the support of his teachers and his close friends Summer and Jack, and with his determination and courage, things begin to turn around. A highly recommended read for all ages. The characters are well-developed and real. By the end of the book you will both laugh and cry. ( )
  SheilaCornelisse | May 23, 2017 |
"Always try to be a little kinder than is necessary."

That, ladies and gentlemen, is the moral of this story. Another wonderful story for parents to read to/with their child(ren). Such a beautiful, endearing story about loving yourself and being kind to others. Because the truth is there are days when we hate ourselves for the way we look, the way we behaved, the actions/inaction we have taken, or simply for not being who we should/could/want to be. I cried because I don't think as a child I would have been as kind to have befriended someone like August. I wouldn't have been mean to him, I may say some unkind things about him unwittingly to my friends, but I know I wouldn't have participated in actively bullying him or those who have befriended him. It made me really sad when I realized how thoughtless and what a coward I would be if I was to have been in this situation. That's why, I so admired Summer in this book. I think people, especially kids like her are so extraordinary because she didn't need to be told to be kind and she was so confident in herself that her friendship with August never wavered. People like Summer is truly a gift. I love the honesty the author infused in each character because we know that sometimes we may love someone with our whole heart, but there are times when we may say, think, or do unkind things we later regret. We're human and I think it's unfair to expect us to never have any unkind thoughts because ultimately it's what we say and do that has the most impact. Often times those unkind thoughts help us to reevaluate who we want to be and change us for the better.

"The universe was not kind to Auggie ..... no, no ... it takes care of its most fragile creations in ways we can't see. Like with parents who adore you blindly. And a big sister who feels guilty for being human over you. And a little gravelly-voiced kid whose freinds have left him over you. And even a pink-haired girl who carries your picture in her wallet. maybe it is a lottery, but the universe makes it all even out in the end. The universe takes care of all its birds." p. 204

No, it would seem like the universe was out to get August. But that would be the pessimistic way of looking at things, therefore the glass will never be full. However, if you take the one feature that makes Auggie exponentially different away and look at the entirety of his life, he really hit the jackpot. His parents love and adore him, his sister is protective and loving, he has true friends like Summer and Jack, he has so many people in his corner who love him unconditionally and at the end of it all that's all that really matters. I love this story and I especially love it more because it made me reevaluate the kind of person I wish to never be (again) and the kind of person I aspire to be. ( )
  jthao_02 | May 18, 2017 |
Wonder is a fantastic book about a boy named Auggie. Auggie came into middle school with a facial deformity and faced many challenged along the way. This is great read for anyone in school. ( )
  ccox18 | May 8, 2017 |
This is amazing, uplifting story about a ten-year-old boy named August or "Auggie". Auggie was born with a very severe face deformity that has made it really difficult for him to live life like a normal ten-year-old. Auggie has the support of his beautiful sister Via, his mother and his father. He was always homeschooled by his mother but it was time for him to go to a public school. This was a major change for Auggie that not only worried him but his family as well. Auggie faces some struggles at first with children making fun of his unusual appearance but eventually he goes through some life changing experiences that life him up. Readers will be surprised by the characters that stick by Auggie's side and look past his appearance. As I read this book, there were time where I felt like crying for Auggie because of everything he went through, there were times were I laughed and times where I felt relieved. The author of this book does an amazing job of breaking the story up into sections told in the perspective of the different characters. Most books just focus on one or two of the characters and how they feel but in this book you are able to understand how all of the characters are thinking. I believe this is a great book to share with children in 4th-6th grade depending on the maturity level because it does have such an important message of accepting everyone even if they look different from you. ( )
  Jmader2 | Apr 26, 2017 |
In my opinion, this is a great and inspiring book. There are many aspects of this book that kept me interested, the first being the point of view. This book is written in first person but it is not just from one perspective. There are five different points of views throughout the book giving you a chance to learn even more about these different characters. Another thing I liked about this book is the message. Acceptance, or don’t judge a book by its cover, is the big message that I took away from this book. At first, the other students did not like Auggie because of the way he looked but by the end, they realized that they had judged him too harshly because he was actually really funny and cool to be around. The other students finally learned to see Auggie as a regular kid, whereas in Auggies’ eyes, “To me, though, I’m just me. An ordinary kid.” He has always been that ordinary kid. Lastly, I liked the plot of the story, Palacio did a good job of keeping the reader engaged and wanting more. There were many suspenseful moments that would leave me wanting to read the next chapter because I had to find out what happened. ( )
  awelch12 | Apr 24, 2017 |
Dieses Buch begeistert alle Altersgruppen. Das oft genutzte Motiv, dass es auf die inneren Werte ankommt, wird hier neu und ohne mahnenden Zeigefinger umgesetzt. Durch wechselnde Perspektiven kann der Leser nicht nur die Gefühle und Handlungen Auggies, sondern auch die seines Umfeldes verstehen. Der Leser entwickelt sich mit den sympathischen Charakteren. Die flüssige Sprache und die zahlreichen Details lassen die Geschichte persönlich und lebensnah wirken. Der Roman berührt den Leser und regt zum Nachdenken an.

Doctors have come from distant cities/just to see me/stand over my bed/disbelieving what they're seeing,
They say I must be one of the wonders/of god's own creation/and as far as they can see they can offer/no explanation
-Natalie Marchant, "Wonder"
For Russell, Caleb, and Joseph
I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid.
Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
Mr. Browne's Precepts: September - When given the choice between being righ or being kind, choose kind. -Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
February - It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. -James Thurber
March - Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. -Blaise Pascal
May - Do all the good you can,/By all the means you can,/In all the ways you can,/In all the places you can,/At all the times you can,/To all the people you can,/As long as you ever can. -John Wesley's Rule
Shall we make a new rule of life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary? -J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird
"Kinder than is necessary," he [Mr. Tushman] repeated. What a marvelous line, isn't it? Kinder than is necesary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed. Why I love that line, that concept, is that it reminds me that we carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of knindness. -Palacio, p. 300
... Joseph recognized the face of God in human form. It glimmered in their kindness to him, it glowed in their keenness, it hinted in their caring, ideed it caressed in their gaze. - Christopher Nolan, Under the Eye of the Clock
"It glimmered in their kindness to him ... Such a simple thing, kindness. Such a simple thing. A nice word of encouragment given when needed. An act of friendship. A passing smile." -Palacio, p. 300.
It's like how compass needles always point north, no matter which way you're facing. All those eyes are compasses, and I'm like the North Pole to them. [Auggie, 206]
I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives. [Auggie, 231]

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunts and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.

Born with a terrible facial abnormality, Auggie Pullman is shy, bright ten-year-old who has been home-schooled by his parents for his whole life, in an attempt to protect him from the stares and cruelty of the outside world. Now, for the first time, Auggie is being sent to a real school - and he's dreading it.
Menino com rosto
de quem todos fugia
brilha a luz do dia

(juliocutrim)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375869026, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month for Kids, February 2012: Wonder is a rare gem of a novel--beautifully written and populated by characters who linger in your memory and heart. August Pullman is a 10-year-old boy who likes Star Wars and Xbox, ordinary except for his jarring facial anomalies. Homeschooled all his life, August heads to public school for fifth grade and he is not the only one changed by the experience--something we learn about first-hand through the narratives of those who orbit his world. August’s internal dialogue and interactions with students and family ring true, and though remarkably courageous he comes across as a sweet, funny boy who wants the same things others want: friendship, understanding, and the freedom to be himself. “It is only with one’s heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.” From The Little Prince and R.J. Palacio’s remarkable novel, Wonder.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:57 -0400)

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunting and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,511,744 books! | Top bar: Always visible