Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Title:Wonder
Authors:R. J. Palacio
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:young adult, fiction, deformity, bullying, kindness

Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Recently added byBrubaker14, Lunalety, AB2009, Mrs.Barkby, GDQ, Rena37, sandra7564, private library, willelle3, katelynabel
    Firegirl by Tony Abbott (kaledrina)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Both stories involve a highly-challenged child with a supportive family and friends. The girl in Out of My Mind has cerebral palsy.
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (bell7)
    The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (FFortuna)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (bookel)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Alexandra.Moraiti)
    Alexandra.Moraiti: They are both well written compassionate, funny and humane books. Although Wonder isn't about a boy with a disability , both books tell the story of two individuals that manage the socially imposed difficulties of their 'conditions'. The narration in both is in first person in Wonder by August Pullman(Auggie ), his friends and family, and in The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-time by Christopher Boone, a boy with Asperger's Syndrome.… (more)
    Kristy's Courage by Babbis Friis-Baastad (bookel)
    If at Birth You Don't Succeed: My Adventures with Disaster and Destiny by Zach Anner (2wonderY)
    2wonderY: Success beyond physics with personality.
    Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Both are similarly moving stories about approaching difficult issues with kindness and compassion.
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    So Much to Tell You by John Marsden (bookel)

English (606)  Catalan (6)  German (4)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (622)
I read the book “Wonder” by R.J Palacio. It was copyrighted in 2012, and published by Alfred A. Knopf. The grade level for this book seems to be aimed at 4th graders. The book focused on self-identity and the importance of family. The book was a contemporary-realistic fiction chapter book. I would rate this book with 3 stars, because it seemed to drag on. While the message was deep and meaningful, the book seemed to have a lot of unnecessary factors that made the plot seem dragged out. The author used point-of-view, plot, and characters to convey a theme of self-identity throughout the book.
The first focus is point-of-view. The novel was divided into different sections, and each section started with a name and the rest of the section was told by that character’s point-of-view. This helped the reader come to the conclusion that the author’s target was self-identity because not only did each section relate to how August, the main character, use his misfortune to find himself, but how he made each character realize their self-worth as well. When the story is told by the point-of-view of Olivia, August’s sister, the reader gets a sense that she is concerned because she feels as though August is getting all the attention just because of his condition and feels as though her problems can never be as important as his. In the second part, Summer becomes the narrator and the author uses the use of this point-of-view to include information on how despite the other students mock Summer for being friends with a “freak,” she continues to be his friend simply because “he is a nice kid.” When Jack narrates, he mentions the impact August’s friendship has on his life. At one point, he mentions that agreeing to be August’s friend is the bravest thing he had ever done. When Justin, Olivia’s boyfriend, narrates, he talks a lot about how loving August’s family is and how he wishes his family were like that. Each narrator is significantly impacted by August, and get a new perspective on themselves on life because of him, giving them all a sense of self-identity.
The use of characters in the novel also contributes to self-identity. Each character is impacted by August, because they were all able to get a new view on things. At the end of the book, all the characters went from treating August like a plague to wanting to be beside him in pictures at graduation.
Lastly, the author uses the word choice to set the theme of self-identity. The word of choice is the title of the book, “Wonder.” The author uses the word in different connotations throughout the book to describe the effect August has had on all the people he meets. In the beginning, August is called a wonder because he was not supposed to live through his first night. August always wonders about what life would be like if he had a normal face. His sister and family wonder what August thinks about his situation. Everyone in the book who sees August wonder why his face is deformed. When Daisy, August’s dog, dies, he lies in bed and wonders about what heaven is like, and what Daisy is doing. The kids in school wonder why Jack and Summer are friends with him.
In conclusion, the author uses point-of-view, characters, and word choice to present a clear theme of self-identity and how one person can influence many. ( )
  NajetAniba | Sep 26, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book because the characters were so well developed. The author gives a real sense of who the characters are and their opinions and beliefs. The author describes the older sister, Via, as kind and caring but also lets you see into her true feelings about how difficult it is sometimes to be the older sister of August. She describes how her brother gets all the attention and their "world" revolves around him. She has times throughout the story where she stands up for August and she has times where she is ashamed of him. I like how all the characters are dynamic and relatable. I also really liked this book because the author tells the story through the different character's points of view. For example, one specific event was Halloween and the author told about the day from August's perspective, Via's perspective, Summer's perspective, and Jack's point of view so you really get a sense of each character and their thoughts and how they all interpret a specific event differently. I think there are many themes throughout the novel, but i think the big idea mainly is kindness and how important it is to be kind to one another even if people look different or act different you still need to be kind. ( )
  shax1 | Sep 22, 2016 |
This was my favorite book I have read for this course so far. The book was about self-image and loving who you are. Although Auggie is different from the others, he comes to understand that it is ok and it makes him special. One extra-textual feature that I enjoyed was the writing in the chapters. The writing styles change based on the different perspective of the characters. So, when the book was in Justin’s point of view, the author does not capitalize sentences and does not use punctuation. This compares to Auggie’s style, which is grammatically correct with perfect punctuation. This allows the reader to relate to the characters. One other feature the book uses in a smart way is the use of “multi-media” text. So, in the book, the author uses a picture of a list of people who are with or against Auggie. This way you can see exactly what the character sees. Another example is when you can see the instant message chat between Jack and Auggie. It helps develop the scene in the story.
  GabbyWooten | Sep 20, 2016 |
I really enjoyed reading Wonder and I think that it is a great book. I think that the best thing by far this book has going for it is point of view. I also really like the language and style of writing in this book.
Throughout the book the point of view changes between characters every few chapters. I really enjoyed this as it gave a different angle of the same story and help you understand how that character was feeling compared to the other characters in the same situation. During the story august feels like his friend jack has been two faced because jack made fun of him behind his back but when its from jacks point of view you realize that jack had no idea that august was there and jack felt pressured to say the things he did. The other thing I really liked about this book is how the text reflected the character was speaking. In one of the chapters when Justin, Via boyfriend, was talking everything was in a kind of text talk. It was very informal, no capitalization, some incomplete words and so on. This was great because it helps you understand what kind of person Justin was and how he talks and presents himself. This book had big overarching themes of identity and personality, but I think the big idea is that we shouldn’t judge someone on how they look but on how they act and that everyone deserves a chance. ( )
  CameronMoltz | Sep 20, 2016 |
I loved the book Wonder for many reasons. I loved the message of being kind to everyone and also how relatable the book is for everyone. Wonder takes place during the first year of middle school for a child with severe face abnormalities. During the book, one of the teachers assigns the class a new precept every month and they discuss what that new precept means and then at the end of that month, the students in that class have to write an essay about what that precept means to them. The first precept is “When given the choice between being right or being kind. Choose kind.” Throughout the year, everyone is the 5th grade class learns how important it is to be kind to everyone, whether you are friends with them or not. This book was also very relatable for many people because middle school is often a very rough time. There are times in the story when the main character August is alone and feels like he has no friends and during middle school that happens very often. Everyone is trying to figure out who they are and sometimes you find yourself alone and confused. I believe everyone can relate to this book in at least one way. I think the overall theme of this book would be the first precept that the students learned, which is “Choose kind.” ( )
  CaseyKlasmeyer | Sep 20, 2016 |
Dieses Buch begeistert alle Altersgruppen. Das oft genutzte Motiv, dass es auf die inneren Werte ankommt, wird hier neu und ohne mahnenden Zeigefinger umgesetzt. Durch wechselnde Perspektiven kann der Leser nicht nur die Gefühle und Handlungen Auggies, sondern auch die seines Umfeldes verstehen. Der Leser entwickelt sich mit den sympathischen Charakteren. Die flüssige Sprache und die zahlreichen Details lassen die Geschichte persönlich und lebensnah wirken. Der Roman berührt den Leser und regt zum Nachdenken an.

Doctors have come from distant cities/just to see me/stand over my bed/disbelieving what they're seeing,
They say I must be one of the wonders/of god's own creation/and as far as they can see they can offer/no explanation
-Natalie Marchant, "Wonder"
For Russell, Caleb, and Joseph
I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid.
Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
Mr. Browne's Precepts: September - When given the choice between being righ or being kind, choose kind. -Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
February - It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. -James Thurber
March - Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. -Blaise Pascal
May - Do all the good you can,/By all the means you can,/In all the ways you can,/In all the places you can,/At all the times you can,/To all the people you can,/As long as you ever can. -John Wesley's Rule
Shall we make a new rule of life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary? -J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird
"Kinder than is necessary," he [Mr. Tushman] repeated. What a marvelous line, isn't it? Kinder than is necesary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed. Why I love that line, that concept, is that it reminds me that we carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of knindness. -Palacio, p. 300
... Joseph recognized the face of God in human form. It glimmered in their kindness to him, it glowed in their keenness, it hinted in their caring, ideed it caressed in their gaze. - Christopher Nolan, Under the Eye of the Clock
"It glimmered in their kindness to him ... Such a simple thing, kindness. Such a simple thing. A nice word of encouragment given when needed. An act of friendship. A passing smile." -Palacio, p. 300.
It's like how compass needles always point north, no matter which way you're facing. All those eyes are compasses, and I'm like the North Pole to them. [Auggie, 206]
I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives. [Auggie, 231]

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunts and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.

Born with a terrible facial abnormality, Auggie Pullman is shy, bright ten-year-old who has been home-schooled by his parents for his whole life, in an attempt to protect him from the stares and cruelty of the outside world. Now, for the first time, Auggie is being sent to a real school - and he's dreading it.
Menino com rosto
de quem todos fugia
brilha a luz do dia

(juliocutrim)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375869026, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month for Kids, February 2012: Wonder is a rare gem of a novel--beautifully written and populated by characters who linger in your memory and heart. August Pullman is a 10-year-old boy who likes Star Wars and Xbox, ordinary except for his jarring facial anomalies. Homeschooled all his life, August heads to public school for fifth grade and he is not the only one changed by the experience--something we learn about first-hand through the narratives of those who orbit his world. August’s internal dialogue and interactions with students and family ring true, and though remarkably courageous he comes across as a sweet, funny boy who wants the same things others want: friendship, understanding, and the freedom to be himself. “It is only with one’s heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.” From The Little Prince and R.J. Palacio’s remarkable novel, Wonder.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:57 -0400)

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunting and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,183,817 books! | Top bar: Always visible