Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Title:Wonder
Authors:R. J. Palacio
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:young adult, fiction, deformity, bullying, kindness

Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Firegirl by Tony Abbott (kaledrina)
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (bell7)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Both stories involve a highly-challenged child with a supportive family and friends. The girl in Out of My Mind has cerebral palsy.
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (bookel)
    The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (FFortuna)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Alexandra.Moraiti)
    Alexandra.Moraiti: They are both well written compassionate, funny and humane books. Although Wonder isn't about a boy with a disability , both books tell the story of two individuals that manage the socially imposed difficulties of their 'conditions'. The narration in both is in first person in Wonder by August Pullman(Auggie ), his friends and family, and in The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-time by Christopher Boone, a boy with Asperger's Syndrome.… (more)
    Kristy's Courage by Babbis Friis-Baastad (bookel)
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    So Much to Tell You by John Marsden (bookel)

English (404)  Catalan (4)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  All languages (415)
I like this book for several reasons. One reason I like this book is the writing. The book is written with short chapters that are entitled with a little phrase that goes along with that chapter. The book also involves different parts where the narrator changes. Being able to read a book that involves different perspectives of the same situations is beneficial for young readers. I also like the plot of the book. The book is about a boy named August who was born with abnormal facial features. Young students need to aware of how people such as August feel throughout the day when they have to deal with living with their disability. The big idea of this book is to not judge people based on how they look. Many students in this book excluded August because of his facial features which is not ok. It is also important to remember the siblings of the children who have disabilities or special needs because like August's sister many siblings can be pushed to the back burner. ( )
  lbrink2 | Apr 30, 2015 |
August Pullman was born with a facial difference that, up until now, has prevented him from going to a mainstream school. Starting 5th grade at Beecher Prep, he wants nothing more than to be treated as an ordinary kid—but his new classmates can’t get past Auggie’s extraordinary face. WONDER, now a #1 New York Times bestseller and included on the Texas Bluebonnet Award master list, begins from Auggie’s point of view, but soon switches to include his classmates, his sister, her boyfriend, and others. These perspectives converge in a portrait of one community’s struggle with empathy, compassion, and acceptance.
  robynr | Apr 28, 2015 |
I enjoyed “Wonder” written by R.J. Palacio for many reasons. I really enjoyed the characters, plot, and descriptive language. It tells the story from the perspective of the main character August, as well as many other characters.The characters are realistic and easy to related to. I could easily picture the characters in the story and put myself in their shoes through the vivid details the author provides. The story was very thought provoking and often put the reader in a position to think “what would I do”. The story was well organized and kept readers engaged. The author provides a good message to young readers. It is important to get to know someone, not judge them based on physical appearance. The story faces a tough issue and shows how people react. The author clearly shows the correct and incorrect way to treat others different from us. The author forces students to confront their own beliefs and sterotypes. ( )
  pnieme1 | Apr 27, 2015 |
I enjoyed the story “Wonder” by R.J. Palacio for a variety of reasons, which include the characters, plot, and the descriptive language. Palacio tells the story of a boy with a rare disorder named August through the eyes of August and those around him. The characters are realistic and represent people that everyone has crossed at sometime during their lives. August (the misfit, and outcast because of a medical condition), Julian (the bully), Jack (the friend who is embarrassed by his friends disorder), Summer (the friend who is loyal), Olivia (the caring sister who sometimes overshadowed by her brother), and the parents who unconditionally love August, but can not seem to agree on the best way to help him. Because of the realism of the character readers can easily visualize and relate to the story. It also makes the reader wonder which character they have imitated when faced with someone who was different. The plot is very fluid and suspenseful because it chronologically follows the events in August’s life and leaves the reader wondering throughout the story what will happen next for August, and how his encounters are affecting those around him. Palacio uses descriptive language as she describes how August looks to different people. She states “the features of his face look like they have been melted”. The story is filled with different physical descriptions of Auggie which helps the reader visualize what he looks like, and get a sense of how he feels going through life with this facial abnormality. The overall message in this story is true beauty is not about physical appearance; it’s about ones ability to remain kind, positive, and strong in the face of adversity. The ugliest face is not the deformed face, but the face of the one who ridicules, torments, and crushes the spirit of others. ( )
  Mchapp1 | Apr 26, 2015 |
I like this book for three different reasons. First, was the organization of the plot. The story starts off with August going to school and the nerves that come along with it. August was nervous about how people would react to his deformity and he encounters some obstacles along the way from people who aren't very accepting of him. Later, he realizes that people can be cruel but they can also be very kind and accept him for the person he is and not for the way that he looks. Next, I really enjoyed how the book was written. The author strayed away from describing what August looked like until later in the book. This gave the reader an opportunity to get to know August as a person first before the physical description of him was given, which lets the reader connect with him on a more intimate level. Last, I really loved how well the author developed the characters. The book presented itself in a unique way where each chapter was from the perspective of a different person. So, although we got to know August very well, we were also able to get to know him from the view point of others. The Author did an excellent job at developing all the characters and really making you feel angry towards those who hurt August such as Julian, and appreciate those who are kind to him such as Summer. The big idea of this book is to not judge people by their appearance because that is all it is, what they look like, and what matters the most is what kind of person they are on the inside. ( )
  agassa1 | Apr 20, 2015 |
Dieses Buch begeistert alle Altersgruppen. Das oft genutzte Motiv, dass es auf die inneren Werte ankommt, wird hier neu und ohne mahnenden Zeigefinger umgesetzt. Durch wechselnde Perspektiven kann der Leser nicht nur die Gefühle und Handlungen Auggies, sondern auch die seines Umfeldes verstehen. Der Leser entwickelt sich mit den sympathischen Charakteren. Die flüssige Sprache und die zahlreichen Details lassen die Geschichte persönlich und lebensnah wirken. Der Roman berührt den Leser und regt zum Nachdenken an.

Doctors have come from distant cities/just to see me/stand over my bed/disbelieving what they're seeing,
They say I must be one of the wonders/of god's own creation/and as far as they can see they can offer/no explanation
-Natalie Marchant, "Wonder"
For Russell, Caleb, and Joseph
I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid.
Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
Mr. Browne's Precepts: September - When given the choice between being righ or being kind, choose kind. -Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
February - It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. -James Thurber
March - Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. -Blaise Pascal
May - Do all the good you can,/By all the means you can,/In all the ways you can,/In all the places you can,/At all the times you can,/To all the people you can,/As long as you ever can. -John Wesley's Rule
Shall we make a new rule of life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary? -J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird
"Kinder than is necessary," he [Mr. Tushman] repeated. What a marvelous line, isn't it? Kinder than is necesary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed. Why I love that line, that concept, is that it reminds me that we carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of knindness. -Palacio, p. 300
... Joseph recognized the face of God in human form. It glimmered in their kindness to him, it glowed in their keenness, it hinted in their caring, ideed it caressed in their gaze. - Christopher Nolan, Under the Eye of the Clock
"It glimmered in their kindness to him ... Such a simple thing, kindness. Such a simple thing. A nice word of encouragment given when needed. An act of friendship. A passing smile." -Palacio, p. 300.
It's like how compass needles always point north, no matter which way you're facing. All those eyes are compasses, and I'm like the North Pole to them. [Auggie, 206]
I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives. [Auggie, 231]

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunts and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.

Born with a terrible facial abnormality, Auggie Pullman is shy, bright ten-year-old who has been home-schooled by his parents for his whole life, in an attempt to protect him from the stares and cruelty of the outside world. Now, for the first time, Auggie is being sent to a real school - and he's dreading it.
Menino com rosto
de quem todos fugia
brilha a luz do dia

(juliocutrim)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375869026, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month for Kids, February 2012: Wonder is a rare gem of a novel--beautifully written and populated by characters who linger in your memory and heart. August Pullman is a 10-year-old boy who likes Star Wars and Xbox, ordinary except for his jarring facial anomalies. Homeschooled all his life, August heads to public school for fifth grade and he is not the only one changed by the experience--something we learn about first-hand through the narratives of those who orbit his world. August’s internal dialogue and interactions with students and family ring true, and though remarkably courageous he comes across as a sweet, funny boy who wants the same things others want: friendship, understanding, and the freedom to be himself. “It is only with one’s heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.” From The Little Prince and R.J. Palacio’s remarkable novel, Wonder.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:22 -0400)

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunting and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,786,608 books! | Top bar: Always visible