Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Title:Wonder
Authors:R. J. Palacio
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:young adult, fiction, deformity, bullying, kindness

Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Firegirl by Tony Abbott (kaledrina)
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (bell7)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Both stories involve a highly-challenged child with a supportive family and friends. The girl in Out of My Mind has cerebral palsy.
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (bookel)
    The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (FFortuna)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Alexandra.Moraiti)
    Alexandra.Moraiti: They are both well written compassionate, funny and humane books. Although Wonder isn't about a boy with a disability , both books tell the story of two individuals that manage the socially imposed difficulties of their 'conditions'. The narration in both is in first person in Wonder by August Pullman(Auggie ), his friends and family, and in The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-time by Christopher Boone, a boy with Asperger's Syndrome.… (more)
    Kristy's Courage by Babbis Friis-Baastad (bookel)
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    So Much to Tell You by John Marsden (bookel)

English (335)  Spanish (3)  German (3)  Catalan (3)  French (2)  All languages (346)
This book fictionally chronicles the 5th grade year of a boy who has been homeschooled until this grade due to having a severe facial malformation that required many surgeries. Striving to be seen as "normal" in the eyes of his peers, this book gives voices to the relationships - good and bad - surrounding the main character. You can change internally and be seen as the same. You can stay the same personally and be perceived as different. We are all categorized, and yet at the same time we are our own "normal." ( )
  Sovranty | Dec 18, 2014 |
Wonder is about a boy named August in fifth grade who has facial deformities. He wants so much to be "normal" like everyone else, and he had never been to a real school before. This book is great because it teaches children how to respond to people with differences. That no matter what the difference is (skin color, physical differences, religion) that people are people and they all deserve to be treated the same. This book should be read to any age group because it's never to early to learn about differences and how to respond to them. ( )
  jordyngingeryan | Dec 9, 2014 |
Summary: "Wonder" is a fictional chapter book about a boy name Auggie who highlights the blunt truth about bullying in school. It is a touching and emotional look into the struggles that children go through who have a physical deformity. Auggie is a boy who, despite his challenges, overcomes that constant bullying in his school. At first, the entire school demonstrates fear towards him. A group of students are assigned to show Auggie around the school at the beginning of the year. All but one of the students despise him because of his appearance. One of the students is Jack. This friend is responsible for getting Auggie through the year. At the end of the story, Auggie's mom ends the book with "you are a wonder".

Review: I thoroughly enjoyed reading through "Wonder". Immediately, the book creates a tone that carries on throughout the story. I constantly found myself thinking about my own perceptions on people. What I really appreciated in "Wonder" is that there were multiple points of views that I could relate to. Each character played a role in the shaping of Auggie's first real schooling. I would recommend this chapter book to older elementary school children, as I feel as though they would be more understanding of the theme in the book. ( )
  cclark37 | Dec 9, 2014 |
I loved this chapter book. For sure, I want my future students to be able to read this book at least once. The main idea of this story is to share the personal journey of a boy who was born with a facial deformity and enters public school for the first time. The first reason why I loved this book was because of how it really pushed me to broaden my perspective and open my eyes to how I treat others as well. For example, the main character describes how he can see by standers take side glances and double takes at him. This made me start to wonder if I did the same to others on the street without being fully aware it. This book made me become more aware of how my “discreet” actions could sincerely hurt others. Another reason why I loved this book is because of the character development of many characters. Each character is challenged with many of their insecurities, and then came to a resolution. For example, August, Jack, and Olivia. I also enjoyed how the entire book was in first person, but there were multiple characters in the book sharing their own perspective. One chapter, August was speaking in first person. Another chapter, Jack was speaking in first person, and in another chapter Olivia was speaking in first person. This narrative really helped readers become attached to the theme of the book. How we all are to walk in the shoes and other and understand them. “AUGUST PULLMAN'S PRECEPT: Everyone deserves a standing ovation because we all overcometh the world. --Auggie” ( )
  yyoon4 | Dec 4, 2014 |
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Format: Chapter Book
I picked up this book because the front cover was very unique. It features a one eyed boy’s face with the work wonder written above the eye. August is a 10 year old kid who wants to be ordinary, he says all the things he does are ordinary like eating ice cream, riding a bike, playing ball etc. We find out that August has severe facial abnormalities because other kids scream and run away when they see him. The book is narrated from six different characters perspectives which make it very easy to imagine the characters and the story. This book is divided in eight parts and has very short chapters. Auggie begins and ends narrating the book. Auggie had been homeschooled most of his life and when his parents decide it is time for him to enter a middle school, things become rough for him. I recommend this powerful novel to middle-grade students because it touches upon themes that relate to their lives like bullying and building friendships. Other themes that I thought came out of the book was acceptance of oneself and others. Auggie changes into a better person and the people who surround them learn to practice kindness. ( )
  georperez | Dec 3, 2014 |
Doctors have come from distant cities/just to see me/stand over my bed/disbelieving what they're seeing,
They say I must be one of the wonders/of god's own creation/and as far as they can see they can offer/no explanation
-Natalie Marchant, "Wonder"
For Russell, Caleb, and Joseph
I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid.
Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
Mr. Browne's Precepts: September - When given the choice between being righ or being kind, choose kind. -Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
February - It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. -James Thurber
March - Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. -Blaise Pascal
May - Do all the good you can,/By all the means you can,/In all the ways you can,/In all the places you can,/At all the times you can,/To all the people you can,/As long as you ever can. -John Wesley's Rule
Shall we make a new rule of life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary? -J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird
"Kinder than is necessary," he [Mr. Tushman] repeated. What a marvelous line, isn't it? Kinder than is necesary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed. Why I love that line, that concept, is that it reminds me that we carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of knindness. -Palacio, p. 300
... Joseph recognized the face of God in human form. It glimmered in their kindness to him, it glowed in their keenness, it hinted in their caring, ideed it caressed in their gaze. - Christopher Nolan, Under the Eye of the Clock
"It glimmered in their kindness to him ... Such a simple thing, kindness. Such a simple thing. A nice word of encouragment given when needed. An act of friendship. A passing smile." -Palacio, p. 300.
It's like how compass needles always point north, no matter which way you're facing. All those eyes are compasses, and I'm like the North Pole to them. [Auggie, 206]
I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives. [Auggie, 231]

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunts and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.

Born with a terrible facial abnormality, Auggie Pullman is shy, bright ten-year-old who has been home-schooled by his parents for his whole life, in an attempt to protect him from the stares and cruelty of the outside world. Now, for the first time, Auggie is being sent to a real school - and he's dreading it.
Menino com rosto
de quem todos fugia
brilha a luz do dia

(juliocutrim)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375869026, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month for Kids, February 2012: Wonder is a rare gem of a novel--beautifully written and populated by characters who linger in your memory and heart. August Pullman is a 10-year-old boy who likes Star Wars and Xbox, ordinary except for his jarring facial anomalies. Homeschooled all his life, August heads to public school for fifth grade and he is not the only one changed by the experience--something we learn about first-hand through the narratives of those who orbit his world. August’s internal dialogue and interactions with students and family ring true, and though remarkably courageous he comes across as a sweet, funny boy who wants the same things others want: friendship, understanding, and the freedom to be himself. “It is only with one’s heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.” From The Little Prince and R.J. Palacio’s remarkable novel, Wonder.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:22 -0400)

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunting and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,432,599 books! | Top bar: Always visible