Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Ebooks
Tags:american, children's books, bullying, ebook, 2013

Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Firegirl by Tony Abbott (kaledrina)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Both stories involve a highly-challenged child with a supportive family and friends. The girl in Out of My Mind has cerebral palsy.
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (bell7)
    The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (FFortuna)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (bookel)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Alexandra.Moraiti)
    Alexandra.Moraiti: They are both well written compassionate, funny and humane books. Although Wonder isn't about a boy with a disability , both books tell the story of two individuals that manage the socially imposed difficulties of their 'conditions'. The narration in both is in first person in Wonder by August Pullman(Auggie ), his friends and family, and in The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-time by Christopher Boone, a boy with Asperger's Syndrome.… (more)
    Kristy's Courage by Babbis Friis (bookel)
    If at Birth You Don't Succeed: My Adventures with Disaster and Destiny by Zach Anner (2wonderY)
    2wonderY: Success beyond physics with personality.
    Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Both are similarly moving stories about approaching difficult issues with kindness and compassion.
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    So Much to Tell You by John Marsden (bookel)

English (687)  Catalan (6)  German (4)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  All (1)  All (704)
I loved this book and it may even be my favorite book so far !! I loved this book for three main reasons, the characters, the writing and the point of view. The characters in this book were extremely well developed and believable. While reading the book, you were able to make connections with each of the characters because they each were going through monumental changes and emotional hardships in their life, such as starting a new middle school or high school, losing a family member or pet, even family related issues, like divorce. The characters were all so important to the story and Palacio made sure of showing it. Each of the characters developed throughout the book. Jack Will was constantly finding himself throughout the book. In the beginning of the book he is nice to Auggie because the principal asked him to show him around, but as the book continues he struggles with being accepted and popular. He continuously grows as the story continues he ends up seeing Auggie for amazing person he is. The emotions they felt, you were able to feel because of R.J. Palacio's writing. It was so engaging and flowed extremely well. I had no idea the book was broken into parts until I got to part two and found that it was so well organized that I did not get confused by it at all. The style of writing for each of the characters is also different depending on the character which made the book engaging! Lastly, the point of view of the book is what made it so extraordinary to me. The book as I stated before it broken down into parts, that were told by different characters in the book. It made the book different from any other book I have red. The point of view was told in first person but by different characters. I found Via's part of the book to be extremely insightful to what it would be like to have a sibling whom has a deformity or is just a little bit different.I would recommend this book to anybody !! It was most definitely a 10/10. ( )
  mscanl1 | Mar 27, 2017 |
I loved this book. My favorite part of this book is that Auggie never reveals what his face looks like. Another one of my favorite parts of this book is that it is told from multiple points of view. This book takes place in Auggie's first year of a mainstream school. Auggie's sister, his friend, and a girl named Miranda tell their point of view of Auggie. I would recommend this book to 4th or 5th graders. This book shows not to judge people by their appearances. At the beginning of the book, no one wanted to be Auggie's friend. By the end, everyone was his friend. I would 10/10 recommend this book. ( )
  pwalke10 | Mar 27, 2017 |
This chapter book is about a boy with a facial defect who faces hardship starting school. He learns lessons of acceptance and self-love throughout his journey in fifth grade. I loved this book and would suggest it to other readers. The book teaches a lesson of acceptance of diversity which is a universal thought that is very relevant in our lives today. In the story, Auggie faces bullies who do not accept him due to his physical appearance. One of the first people who was a genuine friend to him was a little girl names Summer. Even though students were telling her not too, she befriended Auggie. This simple act changed both of their lives for the better. I was inspired to make an extra effort to get to know people's personalities instead of judging by appearance. ( )
  jbarne25 | Mar 27, 2017 |
I enjoyed reading Wonder by R. J. Palacio, in my opinion it was an emotional book. Even though it is realistic fiction I believe the characters were portrayed well. The author provided detail about what they looked like, their age, their interests, and other characteristics that defined each character. My favorite thing about this book is that the point of views changed. Part one of the book was from the point of view of the main character August (Auggie) Pullman. Auggie introduced his family and himself and goes on to explain how he has a facial deformity. Part two – Via (Auggie’s sister), Part three – Summer (A friend from school), Part four – Jack (A friend from school), Part five – Justin (Via’s boyfriend), Part six – Auggie, Part seven – Miranda (Friend of Via and Auggie), Part eight – Auggie. I enjoyed reading each part because it was from a different perspective. Considering what Auggie and his family had to deal with each day it was nice to see how each person felt about Auggie and how they deal with something that could not be controlled. The language that the author used was powerful and it was dramatic. Auggie has a hard time when he starts private school for the first time and the scene he described sounded horrifying. For example, in part one on page 77, Auggie explains what happened at school around Halloween. “My face felt like it was on fire while I walked back down the stairs. I was sweating under my costume. And started crying”, I was able to picture Auggie walking out of his class and down the hall upset with his costume on. The language completely paints the picture for the reader. I would say this book is a great read and would recommend it to everyone. ( )
  staylo34 | Mar 26, 2017 |
I enjoyed this book for three main reasons. First, I enjoyed how the book was written. I liked how each main character of the story that were children got their own section of the book to show their sides of the story. I enjoyed seeing the story from multiple perspectives especially from Auggie's and Via's. Via's section of the story truly showed the reader what it is like to be the sibling of a kid with a disorder of some sort. Via is a great representation of a defensive, but very concerned older sister. I enjoyed reading her section of the book a lot. Second, I enjoyed the development of Jack's character. I enjoyed seeing how nice he was to Auggie at first, then tried to impress the popular kids in the school, and then ended up defending Auggie and becoming friends with him again. The reader can see Jack growing not only as a character, but also as a person. All the characters developed throughout the book, but Jack definitely has the most development throughout the book. Thirdly, I enjoyed how real the book felt. As the reader you can picture the scenes happening in the book in your head. As the reader, you can picture Auggie and how his face actually looks. The author does a great job at describing the characters and giving a visual with every scene that is going on. This book would lend itself perfectly to a movie adaptation because of how vivid the author writes. ( )
  mmanle7 | Mar 26, 2017 |
This chapter is about a young boy who has a facial deformity. Being home schooled throughout his elementary years, Auggie's parents decide to put him into a private middle school. He soon makes friends, but like any typical middle school bullies lurk throughout. This book describes how Auggie deals with his deformity and bullies. Auggie's character is so positive and it shows how one can endure certain things with a good attitude. This book is for middle school students. It can help deal with bullies and deformities. It can also be massed to show how different point of views can change the story.

Dieses Buch begeistert alle Altersgruppen. Das oft genutzte Motiv, dass es auf die inneren Werte ankommt, wird hier neu und ohne mahnenden Zeigefinger umgesetzt. Durch wechselnde Perspektiven kann der Leser nicht nur die Gefühle und Handlungen Auggies, sondern auch die seines Umfeldes verstehen. Der Leser entwickelt sich mit den sympathischen Charakteren. Die flüssige Sprache und die zahlreichen Details lassen die Geschichte persönlich und lebensnah wirken. Der Roman berührt den Leser und regt zum Nachdenken an.

Doctors have come from distant cities/just to see me/stand over my bed/disbelieving what they're seeing,
They say I must be one of the wonders/of god's own creation/and as far as they can see they can offer/no explanation
-Natalie Marchant, "Wonder"
For Russell, Caleb, and Joseph
I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid.
Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
Mr. Browne's Precepts: September - When given the choice between being righ or being kind, choose kind. -Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
February - It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. -James Thurber
March - Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. -Blaise Pascal
May - Do all the good you can,/By all the means you can,/In all the ways you can,/In all the places you can,/At all the times you can,/To all the people you can,/As long as you ever can. -John Wesley's Rule
Shall we make a new rule of life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary? -J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird
"Kinder than is necessary," he [Mr. Tushman] repeated. What a marvelous line, isn't it? Kinder than is necesary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed. Why I love that line, that concept, is that it reminds me that we carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of knindness. -Palacio, p. 300
... Joseph recognized the face of God in human form. It glimmered in their kindness to him, it glowed in their keenness, it hinted in their caring, ideed it caressed in their gaze. - Christopher Nolan, Under the Eye of the Clock
"It glimmered in their kindness to him ... Such a simple thing, kindness. Such a simple thing. A nice word of encouragment given when needed. An act of friendship. A passing smile." -Palacio, p. 300.
It's like how compass needles always point north, no matter which way you're facing. All those eyes are compasses, and I'm like the North Pole to them. [Auggie, 206]
I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives. [Auggie, 231]

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunts and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.

Born with a terrible facial abnormality, Auggie Pullman is shy, bright ten-year-old who has been home-schooled by his parents for his whole life, in an attempt to protect him from the stares and cruelty of the outside world. Now, for the first time, Auggie is being sent to a real school - and he's dreading it.
Menino com rosto
de quem todos fugia
brilha a luz do dia

(juliocutrim)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375869026, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month for Kids, February 2012: Wonder is a rare gem of a novel--beautifully written and populated by characters who linger in your memory and heart. August Pullman is a 10-year-old boy who likes Star Wars and Xbox, ordinary except for his jarring facial anomalies. Homeschooled all his life, August heads to public school for fifth grade and he is not the only one changed by the experience--something we learn about first-hand through the narratives of those who orbit his world. August’s internal dialogue and interactions with students and family ring true, and though remarkably courageous he comes across as a sweet, funny boy who wants the same things others want: friendship, understanding, and the freedom to be himself. “It is only with one’s heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.” From The Little Prince and R.J. Palacio’s remarkable novel, Wonder.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:57 -0400)

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunting and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,311,316 books! | Top bar: Always visible