Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Ebooks
Tags:children's books, bullying, ebook, 2013

Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Firegirl by Tony Abbott (kaledrina)
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (bell7)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Both stories involve a highly-challenged child with a supportive family and friends. The girl in Out of My Mind has cerebral palsy.
    Anything but typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (bookel)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Alexandra.Moraiti)
    Alexandra.Moraiti: They are both well written compassionate, funny and humane books. Although Wonder isn't about a boy with a disability , both books tell the story of two individuals that manage the socially imposed difficulties of their 'conditions'. The narration in both is in first person in Wonder by August Pullman(Auggie ), his friends and family, and in The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-time by Christopher Boone, a boy with Asperger's Syndrome.… (more)
    The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (FFortuna)
    Kristy's Courage by Babbis Friis-Baastad (bookel)
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    So Much to Tell You by John Marsden (bookel)

English (261)  Catalan (3)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  French (1)  All languages (270)
This book was really great and super inspiring. I suggest that you read it. ( )
  HaleyC.B4 | Aug 26, 2014 |
I didn't know much about this book when my book club chose this one as a selection. I knew that it was about a young boy that was being bullied, but I wasn't aware about his physical differences. Kids can be mean to children who are just average, so imagine the things kids can think of when someone with so many differences, like Auggie, is cast into their school and lives.

Auggie knows he is different and he has come to accept that. He has become accustomed to others being uncomfortable in his presence, and even the shock people experience when first encountering him. Auggie is a normal boy underneath all his differences and although he is nervous about attending school for the first time he is excited about the possibilities.

This book is told from various perspectives of people who are a part of Auggie's life. Some of the characters that we gain some insight from are his sister, and even some of the new kids he meets at school. Of course I loved the chapters narrated by Auggie himself, but I also enjoyed the sections narrated by his sister. Via is older than Auggie and things changed drastically for her after he was born. As much as she loves her brother she also struggles to find her place in the world. I loved watching her character grow in this book.

I don't want to give too much of this book away as it unravels perfectly while reading. With themes of family, friendship, differences, and forgiveness, I hope you love this book as much as I did. I highly recommend this book for all age groups, for either personal leisure or as a book club selection. ( )
  jo-jo | Aug 24, 2014 |
Wonder was a pleasant read. Nice and simple without too much to challenge you.

Auggie is likeable, so is Via, his mum, his dad, his headteacher Mr Tushman ... everyone is lovely and sweet and kind.
Except for Julian. He's bad, just because he's the baddie. No reason other than that.

Personally I would of liked there to have been more depth to the characters.
For a moment I thought I was going to get it from Auggie's big sister Via when the narrative moved to her POV. I wondered if we'd get more resentment from her (for Auggie taking time away from her parents). More temper tantrums. Maybe they could've fallen out and then resolved their differences at the end.

I would've liked to have had Julian's point of view. Why did he act so mean to Auggie? What motivated him to act so cruely? What hardships did he have to go through that made him so bitter towards a young boy with a facial disfigurement?

Or perhaps the story could've even been turned on it's head and Auggie could've been made to look bad from Julian's point of view. Maybe unknown to Auggie he did something that upset Julian in kindergarten.

Basically the whole story was played safely.
Which is either good or bad depending on what you want out of a novel. From the reviews I'd read I was expecting more. Maybe that's unfair for me to say.

The best way I can summarise this book, so that you know what you're getting, is to say:
Wonder is a nice gentle read with a happy ending. ( )
  JohnEKerry | Aug 20, 2014 |
I was pleasantly surprised by this story. The author writes not only from the perspective of the main character that is born with severe facial deformities due to inheritance of two genetic disorders but also from that of the other children. Ms. Palacio writes from the viewpoint of other children in August’s life written as first person. She does a good job without being preachy about overcoming life obstacles and acceptance. The only problem I had with the dialogue between fifth graders seems far too older in content and in speaking. I have never heard fifth graders talk the way they are written to speak in this book. The dialogue between the other fifth graders at a party seemed far too adult not just in content but in manner. ( )
  AmberEgan | Aug 12, 2014 |
I LOVED this book. It's quite possibly one of the best books I've read for young readers in the past decade and definitely the best book I've ever read on the subject of dealing with physical disabilities and overcoming adversity. Simply fanttastic. I listened to the audiobook version and I love that each "voice" in the book was narrated by another person.

The premise of the story is simple. August has a facial "deformity" (bad term I know). A very bad one. His family and friends are able to look past it and see his radiant personality shining through but the same can't be said of everyone else. Kids call him a freak, parents stare, people run away. Needless to say, young Auggie has to deal with a lot. Especially, now that his parents are encouraging him to attend school for the first time in his life. Because of all the major facial surgeries Auggie has always been homeschooled by his mother, but now that he doesn't need any surgeries for a while there is no real reason for him to stay him. Obviously, August can think of a lot; kids will make fun of him, he won't make friends, people will say mean things, etc. In the end he decides to give school a try and it is nearly as bad as he thought it would be but he decides to tough it out. Slowly but surely he starts to make some friends. This is their story. Told alternately from the viewpoints of Auggie, his sister, his school friends, and others. This is a tale of kindness and seeing the best in others. It will make you laugh, cry, be angry, and view beauty in a completely different way.

A phenomenal, amazing read! ( )
  ecataldi | Aug 10, 2014 |
Doctors have come from distant cities/just to see me/stand over my bed/disbelieving what they're seeing,
They say I must be one of the wonders/of god's own creation/and as far as they can see they can offer/no explanation
-Natalie Marchant, "Wonder"
For Russell, Caleb, and Joseph
I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid.
Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
Mr. Browne's Precepts: September - When given the choice between being righ or being kind, choose kind. -Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
February - It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. -James Thurber
March - Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. -Blaise Pascal
May - Do all the good you can,/By all the means you can,/In all the ways you can,/In all the places you can,/At all the times you can,/To all the people you can,/As long as you ever can. -John Wesley's Rule
Shall we make a new rule of life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary? -J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird
"Kinder than is necessary," he [Mr. Tushman] repeated. What a marvelous line, isn't it? Kinder than is necesary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed. Why I love that line, that concept, is that it reminds me that we carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of knindness. -Palacio, p. 300
... Joseph recognized the face of God in human form. It glimmered in their kindness to him, it glowed in their keenness, it hinted in their caring, ideed it caressed in their gaze. - Christopher Nolan, Under the Eye of the Clock
"It glimmered in their kindness to him ... Such a simple thing, kindness. Such a simple thing. A nice word of encouragment given when needed. An act of friendship. A passing smile." -Palacio, p. 300.
It's like how compass needles always point north, no matter which way you're facing. All those eyes are compasses, and I'm like the North Pole to them. [Auggie, 206]
I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives. [Auggie, 231]

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunts and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.

Born with a terrible facial abnormality, Auggie Pullman is shy, bright ten-year-old who has been home-schooled by his parents for his whole life, in an attempt to protect him from the stares and cruelty of the outside world. Now, for the first time, Auggie is being sent to a real school - and he's dreading it.
Menino com rosto
de quem todos fugia
brilha a luz do dia

(juliocutrim)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375869026, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month for Kids, February 2012: Wonder is a rare gem of a novel--beautifully written and populated by characters who linger in your memory and heart. August Pullman is a 10-year-old boy who likes Star Wars and Xbox, ordinary except for his jarring facial anomalies. Homeschooled all his life, August heads to public school for fifth grade and he is not the only one changed by the experience--something we learn about first-hand through the narratives of those who orbit his world. August’s internal dialogue and interactions with students and family ring true, and though remarkably courageous he comes across as a sweet, funny boy who wants the same things others want: friendship, understanding, and the freedom to be himself. “It is only with one’s heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.” From The Little Prince and R.J. Palacio’s remarkable novel, Wonder.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:22 -0400)

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunting and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,281,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible