Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Ebooks
Tags:children's books, bullying, ebook, 2013

Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Recently added byangelco, lulaa, BugsAndSlugs, private library, AmyTF, sreinh2, GaiaGonzales, JenniferEckley, KimKolb
    Firegirl by Tony Abbott (kaledrina)
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (bell7)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Both stories involve a highly-challenged child with a supportive family and friends. The girl in Out of My Mind has cerebral palsy.
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (bookel)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Alexandra.Moraiti)
    Alexandra.Moraiti: They are both well written compassionate, funny and humane books. Although Wonder isn't about a boy with a disability , both books tell the story of two individuals that manage the socially imposed difficulties of their 'conditions'. The narration in both is in first person in Wonder by August Pullman(Auggie ), his friends and family, and in The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-time by Christopher Boone, a boy with Asperger's Syndrome.… (more)
    The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (FFortuna)
    Kristy's Courage by Babbis Friis-Baastad (bookel)
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    So Much to Tell You by John Marsden (bookel)

English (268)  Catalan (3)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  French (1)  All languages (277)
This novel tells the story of a little boy, August, with severe physical birth defects and what he and the people around him experience because of it. The author presents the message of the importance of showing kindness and acceptance toward others, even if it isn't the easiest choice. I loved the book Wonder, by R.J. Palacio, because of its strong moral lesson and complex emotions expressed throughout the story through the utilization of narration. This book confronts readers about an issue many students may face, possibly on a lesser scale, and exposes them to the hardships attached to it. This book makes readers see how hurtful bullying can be through August's accounts of his fifth grade classroom and therefore it may act as a motivation to be more aware of how they treat others. The author's use of a changing narrator throughout the story added a much deeper understanding of each character's emotions. The different narrators reveal different views to the story and all of the different emotions they feel. One example of this is when August's sister is narrating the story and expresses how "part of me doesn't want to keep trying" when discussing how hard it is on her living with August's differences. This made reading the story that much more of a personal experience for the readers because they really got to know each character and see how they develop together through the progression of the novel. ( )
  StephanieGrim | Sep 11, 2014 |
I really enjoyed reading Wonder. I think that the book taught many lessons and had a very interesting story line. The first thing that was great about the book is that it really doesn’t give too much of a description, or pictures of the characters. This really leaves the readers mind open about what everyone looks like, or how bad Augusts face is. I think this book really dives into the huge issue of bullying. A lot of kids get bullied all the time and it’s really great for kids to be able to read and feel the horrible emotions that a victim of bullying is going through. Wonder really shows you how August is a wonderful, normal kid, just like everyone else. The reader becomes so attached to his character that you actually feel his pain. Not only does the book portray all of Augusts feelings incredibly well, but it actually switches to other characters points of view throughout the book. Wonder devotes many chapters to show many of Augusts classmates, and sister’s point of view. One thing they all have in common is that they have all been, at least at some point, slightly embarrassed to be seen with August. Even though a lot of these characters are hesitant to hang out with August, they are friends with him anyway. They become victims of bullying themselves but they know it is worth it, and decide that August is too nice of a kid to let go of. The whole book is just a huge roller coaster of emotions and it completely consumed all of my free time. Another great writing strategy the author used was the way the book was worded. The whole book was from a child’s perspective and the author actually worded the book like a child would. For example, during Jacks chapter, the word “like” and “dude” were used a lot. Overall, I think this book was amazing. I believe that every child should read this book so they can really understand the effects of bullying. ( )
  HeatherBallard | Sep 11, 2014 |
This book touched my heart, made me laugh, smile, and cry. From the seven books I’ve already read and maybe out of all of the books I have read, this book is by far one of my absolute favorites. One of the things I really loved about this book was how they had different characters speak. I thought this was a really cool feature because you usually only get the perspective of life from one character, but in this book, we got it from most of the main characters. I thought this was essential to the book because of the meaning that I took away. You never know what someone else is going through and even though you may have your own struggles, someone else may be going through something else really hard as well. Another thing that I loved about this book was because of the writing. I felt every emotion that was in this book. The part that I felt the most, and I think the author conveyed the best, was when Daisy died. The emotions and words that he used to describe that day and what the characters was doing was so real and raw. I had just experienced this so I could connect to it right away. Another thing that I loved about this book is that the characters were so well written and believable. Even though you don’t know what Auggies face looks like, you can see it in your mind and feel what he and his family are going through. You can understand it through all of his thoughts and his every day actions. I think the message that I got out of this book is that no matter what you are going through or how horrible it is, someone very close to you, or far, may be experiencing something just as bad. ( )
  kelleemorcomb | Sep 10, 2014 |
In my opinion this is a fantastic book. The authors’ writing was engaging and captured my attention within the first page. There was never a dull moment where my eyes wondered from the page. Also the change in Point of View helped further develop each character and make the reader understand their thoughts better. When Viv’s boyfriend Justin was narrating the story he pointed out that August was lucky to have a friend like Jack because although he was bullied he never waivered in being Auggie’s friend. This is a thought that wouldn’t have been presented by anyway but an outsider not involved in the situation. Characters were so authentic I felt connected to each one. The book showed how a situation such as Augusts’ could affect many different people. For example I never would have thought how much the situation impacted Viv and how because of her brother, she never got the attention other children may get while growing up.
The books’ big idea was how important it is to be a kind, thoughtful person to everyone. The book shows simply being a nice person and a friend can improve someone’s life and lift their self-esteem. Being nice is such a simple thing that everyone can do it anywhere. This message was important and is one I will carry with me. ( )
  StephanieWeiner | Sep 10, 2014 |
A few things I liked about the book is the narration of first-person point of view told by various people about their opinion of one person. I also liked how each person had their own writing style evident in their testimony. The references to popular culture and youth lingo is a plus, but the book is very unrealistic in my opinion. While it has a great message, I doubt children can stop being mean in one school year, and see a complete transformation in one school year. Although I'm not deformed, I was still picked no by others in school, and they didn't stop in one year. I think this book gives young readers unrealistic expectations from others. It has amazing lessons about kindness, but unfortunately not everyone is kind. ( )
  Emanbella | Sep 5, 2014 |
Doctors have come from distant cities/just to see me/stand over my bed/disbelieving what they're seeing,
They say I must be one of the wonders/of god's own creation/and as far as they can see they can offer/no explanation
-Natalie Marchant, "Wonder"
For Russell, Caleb, and Joseph
I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid.
Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
Mr. Browne's Precepts: September - When given the choice between being righ or being kind, choose kind. -Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
February - It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. -James Thurber
March - Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. -Blaise Pascal
May - Do all the good you can,/By all the means you can,/In all the ways you can,/In all the places you can,/At all the times you can,/To all the people you can,/As long as you ever can. -John Wesley's Rule
Shall we make a new rule of life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary? -J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird
"Kinder than is necessary," he [Mr. Tushman] repeated. What a marvelous line, isn't it? Kinder than is necesary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed. Why I love that line, that concept, is that it reminds me that we carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of knindness. -Palacio, p. 300
... Joseph recognized the face of God in human form. It glimmered in their kindness to him, it glowed in their keenness, it hinted in their caring, ideed it caressed in their gaze. - Christopher Nolan, Under the Eye of the Clock
"It glimmered in their kindness to him ... Such a simple thing, kindness. Such a simple thing. A nice word of encouragment given when needed. An act of friendship. A passing smile." -Palacio, p. 300.
It's like how compass needles always point north, no matter which way you're facing. All those eyes are compasses, and I'm like the North Pole to them. [Auggie, 206]
I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives. [Auggie, 231]

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunts and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.

Born with a terrible facial abnormality, Auggie Pullman is shy, bright ten-year-old who has been home-schooled by his parents for his whole life, in an attempt to protect him from the stares and cruelty of the outside world. Now, for the first time, Auggie is being sent to a real school - and he's dreading it.
Menino com rosto
de quem todos fugia
brilha a luz do dia

(juliocutrim)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375869026, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month for Kids, February 2012: Wonder is a rare gem of a novel--beautifully written and populated by characters who linger in your memory and heart. August Pullman is a 10-year-old boy who likes Star Wars and Xbox, ordinary except for his jarring facial anomalies. Homeschooled all his life, August heads to public school for fifth grade and he is not the only one changed by the experience--something we learn about first-hand through the narratives of those who orbit his world. August’s internal dialogue and interactions with students and family ring true, and though remarkably courageous he comes across as a sweet, funny boy who wants the same things others want: friendship, understanding, and the freedom to be himself. “It is only with one’s heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.” From The Little Prince and R.J. Palacio’s remarkable novel, Wonder.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:22 -0400)

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunting and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,708,167 books! | Top bar: Always visible