Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Ebooks
Tags:american, children's books, bullying, ebook, 2013

Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Firegirl by Tony Abbott (kaledrina)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Both stories involve a highly-challenged child with a supportive family and friends. The girl in Out of My Mind has cerebral palsy.
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (bell7)
    The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (FFortuna)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (bookel)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Alexandra.Moraiti)
    Alexandra.Moraiti: They are both well written compassionate, funny and humane books. Although Wonder isn't about a boy with a disability , both books tell the story of two individuals that manage the socially imposed difficulties of their 'conditions'. The narration in both is in first person in Wonder by August Pullman(Auggie ), his friends and family, and in The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-time by Christopher Boone, a boy with Asperger's Syndrome.… (more)
    Kristy's Courage by Babbis Friis-Baastad (bookel)
    If at Birth You Don't Succeed: My Adventures with Disaster and Destiny (2wonderY)
    2wonderY: Success beyond physics with personality.
    Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Both are similarly moving stories about approaching difficult issues with kindness and compassion.
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    So Much to Tell You by John Marsden (bookel)

English (526)  Catalan (5)  German (4)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (541)
Similar to the other books I have been reading, Wonder is again an exceptional book. I really enjoyed reading this book. I have a sister with a disability, and growing up I always saw children staring, wondering why she looks different. Although Auggie didn’t have a mental disability, he has different facial features, which made other kids stare, so it was interesting to hear the story through his eyes. I also liked that the story switched speakers. The book started with August (Auggie) speaking in first person about his life and starting his new private school. Then the book shifted and his sister Via became the main speaker. This continued for a few of the main characters, and I really enjoyed this feature because each part was written in a different format, almost as if each character was being interviewed on their personal thoughts. At first I didn’t like how short the chapters were, but after about 40 pages, I started to really enjoy it. Each “chapter” explained a part of Auggie’s life, without being too detailed. Sometimes the chapters even kept you guessing what might happen next. Lastly, although I don’t condone bullying, this book had a great lesson on bullying and gave great examples of the proper ways to handle it. Auggie wanted to leave school numerous times, but in the end his positive attitude won his different school awards. Many kids thought he was the school “freak”, but once they got to know him they realized how amazing of a kid he truly way, which I thought was really special. I feel like this book had a variety of main ideas, including lessons like, never give up, don’t let someone else’s negative words affect you, and to never judge someone off of their appearance. This is a great book for young children, especially those who may feel out of place in any type of social setting. ( )
  aseipp1 | Feb 9, 2016 |
RGG: Themes. Connections. 5th grade to high school. Smiles. Tears. An amazing piece of fiction! Reading Level: 10-14.
  rgruberexcel | Feb 9, 2016 |
Wonder by R.J. Palacio
315 pages

★★★★

Description (not my own words): Wonder is about a 10-year-old boy with facial deformities named August Pullman (Auggie) who wishes to be treated normally. He attends private school for the first time in his life, although he does not want to, he agrees to go. Throughout his fifth grade school year, he faces many challenges of having a deformed face, but some surprises also come up like Summer and Jack. The book also goes into other people's perspective of August: Via's, Summer's, Justin's, Miranda's and Jack's.

Put in the young adult category, I would say that this is one that is both great for both young people AND adults to read. The book hits heavily on bullying, which while a fictional book, is a very serious problem that needs to known. The writing is well done. I think the characters were well done (not flat at all). I enjoyed the different perspectives of the different kids – it gave so many different sides and the realization that everyone has their own problems – this isn’t just August’s story. So why not a 5 star rating? It was the ending. I felt it was just overly packaged, too feel good given the situation. Don’t get me wrong, I liked the ending just didn’t love it like I did most of the book leading up to the end. I get it, it’s a young adult book and maybe I’m just expecting too much given my non-young adult status but I also feel that given it’s tough subject matter that it deserved more substance towards the end and that kids can handle it. But overall, a great book that was worth the read! I hope to get to the short story following Julian’s side soon, a voice left out in the main book.
  UberButter | Feb 9, 2016 |
If you read one book this year it should be this one! ( )
1 vote Lisa_Boys | Feb 8, 2016 |
This is an amazing book. It's impressive how strong August is. It is a heartwarming story with one particularly sad part. Overall it is a hopeful story about the good people can find in themselves and others if they just give it a chance. ( )
1 vote Jadedog13 | Feb 3, 2016 |
Dieses Buch begeistert alle Altersgruppen. Das oft genutzte Motiv, dass es auf die inneren Werte ankommt, wird hier neu und ohne mahnenden Zeigefinger umgesetzt. Durch wechselnde Perspektiven kann der Leser nicht nur die Gefühle und Handlungen Auggies, sondern auch die seines Umfeldes verstehen. Der Leser entwickelt sich mit den sympathischen Charakteren. Die flüssige Sprache und die zahlreichen Details lassen die Geschichte persönlich und lebensnah wirken. Der Roman berührt den Leser und regt zum Nachdenken an.

Doctors have come from distant cities/just to see me/stand over my bed/disbelieving what they're seeing,
They say I must be one of the wonders/of god's own creation/and as far as they can see they can offer/no explanation
-Natalie Marchant, "Wonder"
For Russell, Caleb, and Joseph
I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid.
Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
Mr. Browne's Precepts: September - When given the choice between being righ or being kind, choose kind. -Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
February - It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. -James Thurber
March - Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. -Blaise Pascal
May - Do all the good you can,/By all the means you can,/In all the ways you can,/In all the places you can,/At all the times you can,/To all the people you can,/As long as you ever can. -John Wesley's Rule
Shall we make a new rule of life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary? -J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird
"Kinder than is necessary," he [Mr. Tushman] repeated. What a marvelous line, isn't it? Kinder than is necesary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed. Why I love that line, that concept, is that it reminds me that we carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of knindness. -Palacio, p. 300
... Joseph recognized the face of God in human form. It glimmered in their kindness to him, it glowed in their keenness, it hinted in their caring, ideed it caressed in their gaze. - Christopher Nolan, Under the Eye of the Clock
"It glimmered in their kindness to him ... Such a simple thing, kindness. Such a simple thing. A nice word of encouragment given when needed. An act of friendship. A passing smile." -Palacio, p. 300.
It's like how compass needles always point north, no matter which way you're facing. All those eyes are compasses, and I'm like the North Pole to them. [Auggie, 206]
I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives. [Auggie, 231]

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunts and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.

Born with a terrible facial abnormality, Auggie Pullman is shy, bright ten-year-old who has been home-schooled by his parents for his whole life, in an attempt to protect him from the stares and cruelty of the outside world. Now, for the first time, Auggie is being sent to a real school - and he's dreading it.
Menino com rosto
de quem todos fugia
brilha a luz do dia

(juliocutrim)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375869026, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month for Kids, February 2012: Wonder is a rare gem of a novel--beautifully written and populated by characters who linger in your memory and heart. August Pullman is a 10-year-old boy who likes Star Wars and Xbox, ordinary except for his jarring facial anomalies. Homeschooled all his life, August heads to public school for fifth grade and he is not the only one changed by the experience--something we learn about first-hand through the narratives of those who orbit his world. August’s internal dialogue and interactions with students and family ring true, and though remarkably courageous he comes across as a sweet, funny boy who wants the same things others want: friendship, understanding, and the freedom to be himself. “It is only with one’s heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.” From The Little Prince and R.J. Palacio’s remarkable novel, Wonder.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:57 -0400)

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunting and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,192,946 books! | Top bar: Always visible