Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Collections:Ebooks
Tags:american, children's books, bullying, ebook, 2013

Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Recently added byMontagueES, private library, lnl005, barefootcowgirl, Prashna
    Firegirl by Tony Abbott (kaledrina)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Both stories involve a highly-challenged child with a supportive family and friends. The girl in Out of My Mind has cerebral palsy.
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (bell7)
    The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (FFortuna)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (bookel)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Alexandra.Moraiti)
    Alexandra.Moraiti: They are both well written compassionate, funny and humane books. Although Wonder isn't about a boy with a disability , both books tell the story of two individuals that manage the socially imposed difficulties of their 'conditions'. The narration in both is in first person in Wonder by August Pullman(Auggie ), his friends and family, and in The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-time by Christopher Boone, a boy with Asperger's Syndrome.… (more)
    Kristy's Courage by Babbis Friis-Baastad (bookel)
    If at Birth You Don't Succeed: My Adventures with Disaster and Destiny by Zach Anner (2wonderY)
    2wonderY: Success beyond physics with personality.
    Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Both are similarly moving stories about approaching difficult issues with kindness and compassion.
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    So Much to Tell You by John Marsden (bookel)

English (580)  Catalan (5)  German (4)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (595)
I loved this book. Cracked it open and could not put it down. There's not much more I can say except everyone should read it.
  Prashna | Jul 29, 2016 |
I'd probably go 4.5. Yeah, close to 5 but something's holding me back. Not sure what...

Anyway, I listened to the audio book with my 10-year old. We're used to reading fantasy or adventure books together so this was a big departure. We did make several comments to each other while reading about how depressing it was but we both agree that it is an incredibly moving book and that all kids 10 and up and all parents should read it. It should be required. ( )
  amcheri | Jul 12, 2016 |
Auggie was born with a facial deformity that required numberous operations. He has started regular school in 5th grade. This is the story of how he copes with entering school, and how his sister and friends view school and life. The story is told from several viewpoints.
  rachel.mcconville | Jul 7, 2016 |
Auggie was born with a deformed face. He never describes himself..he says think of the worst thing you can..it's worse.

When he is ready for fifth grad, his parents decide to put him in public school. What follows is funny, charming, touching and sad. Very definitely worth the read. ( )
  busyreadin | Jul 4, 2016 |
Wonderful read! Must read this aloud to my Grade 5 students before the end of the school year!! ( )
  jkrnomad | Jul 1, 2016 |
Dieses Buch begeistert alle Altersgruppen. Das oft genutzte Motiv, dass es auf die inneren Werte ankommt, wird hier neu und ohne mahnenden Zeigefinger umgesetzt. Durch wechselnde Perspektiven kann der Leser nicht nur die Gefühle und Handlungen Auggies, sondern auch die seines Umfeldes verstehen. Der Leser entwickelt sich mit den sympathischen Charakteren. Die flüssige Sprache und die zahlreichen Details lassen die Geschichte persönlich und lebensnah wirken. Der Roman berührt den Leser und regt zum Nachdenken an.

Doctors have come from distant cities/just to see me/stand over my bed/disbelieving what they're seeing,
They say I must be one of the wonders/of god's own creation/and as far as they can see they can offer/no explanation
-Natalie Marchant, "Wonder"
For Russell, Caleb, and Joseph
I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid.
Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
Mr. Browne's Precepts: September - When given the choice between being righ or being kind, choose kind. -Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
February - It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. -James Thurber
March - Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. -Blaise Pascal
May - Do all the good you can,/By all the means you can,/In all the ways you can,/In all the places you can,/At all the times you can,/To all the people you can,/As long as you ever can. -John Wesley's Rule
Shall we make a new rule of life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary? -J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird
"Kinder than is necessary," he [Mr. Tushman] repeated. What a marvelous line, isn't it? Kinder than is necesary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed. Why I love that line, that concept, is that it reminds me that we carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of knindness. -Palacio, p. 300
... Joseph recognized the face of God in human form. It glimmered in their kindness to him, it glowed in their keenness, it hinted in their caring, ideed it caressed in their gaze. - Christopher Nolan, Under the Eye of the Clock
"It glimmered in their kindness to him ... Such a simple thing, kindness. Such a simple thing. A nice word of encouragment given when needed. An act of friendship. A passing smile." -Palacio, p. 300.
It's like how compass needles always point north, no matter which way you're facing. All those eyes are compasses, and I'm like the North Pole to them. [Auggie, 206]
I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives. [Auggie, 231]

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunts and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.

Born with a terrible facial abnormality, Auggie Pullman is shy, bright ten-year-old who has been home-schooled by his parents for his whole life, in an attempt to protect him from the stares and cruelty of the outside world. Now, for the first time, Auggie is being sent to a real school - and he's dreading it.
Menino com rosto
de quem todos fugia
brilha a luz do dia

(juliocutrim)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375869026, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month for Kids, February 2012: Wonder is a rare gem of a novel--beautifully written and populated by characters who linger in your memory and heart. August Pullman is a 10-year-old boy who likes Star Wars and Xbox, ordinary except for his jarring facial anomalies. Homeschooled all his life, August heads to public school for fifth grade and he is not the only one changed by the experience--something we learn about first-hand through the narratives of those who orbit his world. August’s internal dialogue and interactions with students and family ring true, and though remarkably courageous he comes across as a sweet, funny boy who wants the same things others want: friendship, understanding, and the freedom to be himself. “It is only with one’s heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.” From The Little Prince and R.J. Palacio’s remarkable novel, Wonder.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:57 -0400)

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunting and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,607,750 books! | Top bar: Always visible