Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Ebooks
Tags:children's books, bullying, ebook, 2013

Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Firegirl by Tony Abbott (kaledrina)
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (bell7)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Both stories involve a highly-challenged child with a supportive family and friends. The girl in Out of My Mind has cerebral palsy.
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (bookel)
    The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (FFortuna)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Alexandra.Moraiti)
    Alexandra.Moraiti: They are both well written compassionate, funny and humane books. Although Wonder isn't about a boy with a disability , both books tell the story of two individuals that manage the socially imposed difficulties of their 'conditions'. The narration in both is in first person in Wonder by August Pullman(Auggie ), his friends and family, and in The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-time by Christopher Boone, a boy with Asperger's Syndrome.… (more)
    Kristy's Courage by Babbis Friis-Baastad (bookel)
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    So Much to Tell You by John Marsden (bookel)

English (378)  Catalan (4)  German (3)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  All languages (390)
I didn't want this story to end. I was hooked on following Auggie through his day-to-day life and the struggles he encountered as a young boy with a facial deformation. This book is powerful and could have an impact on how children treat one another. Palacio did an incredible job of explaining Auggie's feeling, but also encompassing the feelings of his parents, his sister, his classmates and his teachers. I think that this book would make for the perfect book study or book club selection for students Grade 5-8. ( )
  kdjones9 | Feb 26, 2015 |
In my opinion, this book is absolutely wonderful for many reasons. First, I believe that there were many eye-opening issues throughout the story that children should be aware of and may even find relatable in some way. The book presents the issues of bullying, what is “normal” or “ordinary,” and how people of all ages treat those with disabilities. I truly enjoyed the various messages that were displayed throughout this heartfelt book. Next, I enjoyed the book because of the various perspectives that were presented in first person from the different characters. The different perspectives were significant because they gave the reader an inside view of the thoughts and feelings of each character. The different perspectives include those of the main character Auggie, his sister Via, his friends Summer and Jack Will, Via’s friend Miranda, and Via’s boyfriend Justin. Each character’s perspective provided that character with a voice, allowing for the reader to make connections and brings new points of view to light. The various perspectives allowed for the author to develop the plot and present conflict and emotion. I enjoyed that this book was a very easy read and would be a great book for young readers. Each chapter was only about two to three pages and the breaking up of the short chapters makes it flow very nicely. Finally, this book definitely pushes the readers to think about tough issues. In today’s society bullying is such a huge issue in schools. I think that this book allows for children to see what it might be like to have a disability or deformity and the inner challenges that one may face. I believe that the message of this book is to present people with the idea of treating others the way that you want to be treated and to always be kind to others because you may not know what they are going through. ( )
  mbolle1 | Feb 26, 2015 |
I absolutely loved this book! This realistic fiction told a story about a boy named August, who was born with a condition that made his face deformed. He went through so many surgeries when he was younger, which caused him to be homeschooled by his mom. Upon entering the 5th grade age, his parents told him that it was time to go to school. While they were all hesitant, they all agreed that it was best for him to go. This story really captures what it is like to go into a new school without looking 100% "normal". The author portrayed all the acts of bullying that was done to him, which breaks the readers heart. Near the end of the book, the author does a great job of showing how the kids in his class made a complete 180, and started accepting August for who he was, not what he looked like. They all stood up for him, and showed him support in the most beautiful way. Great, great book! ( )
  BethWal94 | Feb 25, 2015 |
August was born with a different exterior than most people. After being home-schooled, he enters the world of education with peers in a school in Manhattan. His peers overlook and accept him for the true person that he is inside. This is a great book for acceptance of others.
  kelly.haskins | Feb 25, 2015 |
I thought this was an excellent book. The first reason I enjoyed this book is because it is written in first person from the different characters perspectives. These different perspectives allow the reader to see things from each characters point of view instead of the main characters. The first portion of the book is from the main character, August’s perspective. He talks about what he feels going through each day at the beginning of his school year. The book then switches over to his sister Via’s point of view. She writes about her life, having August as a brother and about her life at school. The third section is from August's friend, Summer’s, point of view. She writes about what her peers are doing to August, mentions the mean games such as "The Plague." The fourth point of view was written from Jack’s perspective, another one of August's friends. The book continues on with the other point of view of people in August's life and ends again with August's point of view. I feel that reading the story from character's perspective gave each of them their own voice. I feel it was easier to connect with each character after hearing the story from their perspective. The second reason I liked this book was because of the issues brought to light. People in our society treat and look at people with deformities or disabilities differently. Our society treats people that are different poorly, if an individual does not meet the social norm their life becomes difficult. An example of this was when the children in this book called August an "orc" and made up a game where no one could touch him or they would get "The Plague." This book shows that even though August looks different on the outside, he is still a great individual inside. The third and final reason I loved this book was the chapter’s length. The chapters were about one to two pages long. I loved this because I have a very short attention span, and I struggle reading through long chapters. While reading this book I could take a break after a few chapters and not feel lost or bored. The short chapters kept my interest while explaining the story really well. August left me with the message “to never give up, and push through the bad things to reach the light at the end of the tunnel”. The writing in the book was emotional yet so engaging. This story is so hard to put down and is a book I would suggest to everyone. ( )
  corzel1 | Feb 24, 2015 |
Doctors have come from distant cities/just to see me/stand over my bed/disbelieving what they're seeing,
They say I must be one of the wonders/of god's own creation/and as far as they can see they can offer/no explanation
-Natalie Marchant, "Wonder"
For Russell, Caleb, and Joseph
I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid.
Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
Mr. Browne's Precepts: September - When given the choice between being righ or being kind, choose kind. -Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
February - It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. -James Thurber
March - Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. -Blaise Pascal
May - Do all the good you can,/By all the means you can,/In all the ways you can,/In all the places you can,/At all the times you can,/To all the people you can,/As long as you ever can. -John Wesley's Rule
Shall we make a new rule of life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary? -J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird
"Kinder than is necessary," he [Mr. Tushman] repeated. What a marvelous line, isn't it? Kinder than is necesary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed. Why I love that line, that concept, is that it reminds me that we carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of knindness. -Palacio, p. 300
... Joseph recognized the face of God in human form. It glimmered in their kindness to him, it glowed in their keenness, it hinted in their caring, ideed it caressed in their gaze. - Christopher Nolan, Under the Eye of the Clock
"It glimmered in their kindness to him ... Such a simple thing, kindness. Such a simple thing. A nice word of encouragment given when needed. An act of friendship. A passing smile." -Palacio, p. 300.
It's like how compass needles always point north, no matter which way you're facing. All those eyes are compasses, and I'm like the North Pole to them. [Auggie, 206]
I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives. [Auggie, 231]

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunts and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.

Born with a terrible facial abnormality, Auggie Pullman is shy, bright ten-year-old who has been home-schooled by his parents for his whole life, in an attempt to protect him from the stares and cruelty of the outside world. Now, for the first time, Auggie is being sent to a real school - and he's dreading it.
Menino com rosto
de quem todos fugia
brilha a luz do dia

(juliocutrim)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375869026, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month for Kids, February 2012: Wonder is a rare gem of a novel--beautifully written and populated by characters who linger in your memory and heart. August Pullman is a 10-year-old boy who likes Star Wars and Xbox, ordinary except for his jarring facial anomalies. Homeschooled all his life, August heads to public school for fifth grade and he is not the only one changed by the experience--something we learn about first-hand through the narratives of those who orbit his world. August’s internal dialogue and interactions with students and family ring true, and though remarkably courageous he comes across as a sweet, funny boy who wants the same things others want: friendship, understanding, and the freedom to be himself. “It is only with one’s heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.” From The Little Prince and R.J. Palacio’s remarkable novel, Wonder.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:22 -0400)

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunting and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,712,999 books! | Top bar: Always visible