The Proposal by Mary Balogh
Authors:Mary Balogh
Info:Delacorte Press (2012), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

The Proposal by Mary Balogh

Recently added byQuirkyGirl22, astasin, WeirdiniteBunny, private library, ellew1, southvine

What I loved about this story was the fact that the hero (shy yet strong and family-oriented) puts aside his own feelings and decides that he needs to marry to advance his sister's prospects. With the help of friends he meets and begins to court a widow who has a physical handicap. The love story that evolves shows that what's on the inside is far more important than what's on the the outside. ( )
  cyderry | Jul 6, 2014 |
The thing I couldn't stand about this book is the fact it felt SO MODERN. Language, opinions, attitudes, actions, scenery, NOTHING made me feel that I was reading a historical novel other than knowing it was one. I have no idea if this is a common theme in Balogh's works as this is my first, but I am not eager to try her again. I read regencies for the absorption in the time period. ( )
  lovelylime | Sep 21, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Oh historical romances, how I've missed you! It's been too long since I've read a historical romance, so I was one happy girl when I cracked open this one and entered the prim and proper world of the lords and ladies of London.

Hugo is used to his quiet, middle class life. Even when he's given the title of a Lord and all the money that comes with it after leading a suicide mission during the war that helped his side win, Hugo can't stand that lavish lifestyle. However, with his new title comes a duty and he knows he must find a wife soon. And Gwendoline is the last person who wants that role. After her husband died, Gwen is perfectly content to live her widowed life in society with her friends and family. But when Hugo rescues her from a nasty fall, nurses her back to health, and shows up at her home to ask for her help with his sister, there's no denying this Lord is captivating. Is Gwen ready to settle down again, and could Hugo really have found the woman he's always wanted?

From the very beginning, you know Hugo and Gwen's relationship is going to be entertaining. As soon as they meet, Hugo is hard-headed and Gwen isn't going to let a man throw her around. As they butt heads, their banter is so fun and I love how they can let their true selves show with each other instead of always being proper and perfect.

Hugo and Gwen's relationship doesn't start off too well, so I loved watching their relationship grow and how they fall for each other as the story progresses. Two people as stubborn as Gwen and Hugo couldn't be more perfect for each other. Though this book lacked any extreme "wow" moments, it was still a sweet read. The addition of the side stories and romances of the other characters was cute and let us get to know everyone in the main characters' lives.

While this one wasn't the best historical romance I've read, it was a sweet, easy read that I still enjoyed. The way the characters interacted was fun and the historical London society was perfect. For an enjoyable historical romance, go ahead and pick up Mary Balogh's latest release. Now, all I can do is wait for the second book in the series to come out in August. I can't wait to read Vincent's story next! ( )
  Jessica5 | Jul 28, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Another winner for Mary Balough.

I have to say that it's not too a surprising a plot - a wealthy titled member of England's upper class literally discovers a damsel in distress. However, Mary Balough's excellent writing takes a tried and true formula to new heights.

Excellent writing, good plot development, humor. . . and a romance. What's not to like? ( )
  phacht | Jul 28, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed The Proposal--it was plotted along the lines of earlier Balogh books. The characters of Gwendoline and Hugo developed nicely over the course of the book. They find aspects in each other their lonely lives were previously missing. I felt connected to the challenges they faced before they could be together. A lovely story told with depth and compassion. ( )
  Janet126 | Jul 26, 2013 |

Balogh, Maryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
de Leeuw, RebeccaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Believing her romantic prospects are over after losing her husband in an accident and suffering a fall that leaves her with a limp, young Lady Gwendoline strives to be happy for others and finds an unexpected second chance at love.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Proposal by Mary Balogh was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,724,425 books! | Top bar: Always visible