The Proposal by Mary Balogh
Authors:Mary Balogh
Info:Delacorte Press (2012), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

The Proposal by Mary Balogh

Recently added bycoliver8135, private library, lisa.m, CLEO061, CarolinaS, madlibrarian, phyllis2779

Another one of Balogh's very adult Regencies. Her characters are all adults, with serious concerns, but they are able to grow and move froward. This one was enthralling and hard to put down. The romance aspect in this one was lovely as two damaged people are able to come together and make themselves whole in the process. My only disappointment was that the sole bad guy didn't get what was coming to him. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Jun 30, 2015 |
Ms. Balogh does not disappoint! ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
First book in the survivor series. Hugo survived the Napoleonic war physically intact, but his soul was shattered. Now, back at Penderiss for the annual meeting of the survivors, he is being teased about finding a wife. He stalks off for a walk on the beach, and finds Gwen, a lady who has twisted her ankle and can't walk. Widowed, she is in town visiting a friend. Since the Duke's house is closer, Hugo carries her there - and she stays to heal. But he can't possibly marry a Lady, and she wouldn't want to marry a middle-class landowner? Or would she? ( )
  nancynova | Dec 30, 2014 |
What I loved about this story was the fact that the hero (shy yet strong and family-oriented) puts aside his own feelings and decides that he needs to marry to advance his sister's prospects. With the help of friends he meets and begins to court a widow who has a physical handicap. The love story that evolves shows that what's on the inside is far more important than what's on the the outside. ( )
  cyderry | Jul 6, 2014 |
The thing I couldn't stand about this book is the fact it felt SO MODERN. Language, opinions, attitudes, actions, scenery, NOTHING made me feel that I was reading a historical novel other than knowing it was one. I have no idea if this is a common theme in Balogh's works as this is my first, but I am not eager to try her again. I read regencies for the absorption in the time period. ( )
  lovelylime | Sep 21, 2013 |

Balogh, Maryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
de Leeuw, RebeccaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Believing her romantic prospects are over after losing her husband in an accident and suffering a fall that leaves her with a limp, young Lady Gwendoline strives to be happy for others and finds an unexpected second chance at love.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Proposal by Mary Balogh was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,145,494 books! | Top bar: Always visible