Night watch by Linda A. Fairstein

Night watch (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Linda A. Fairstein

Member:reeread
Title:Night watch
Authors:Linda A. Fairstein
Info:New York : Dutton Adult, 2012.
Rating:***
Tags:restaurants, New York City, France, long distance relationships

Night Watch by Linda Fairstein (2012)

This woman railroaded The Central Park Five and she is just able to walk away and have a successful career as an author (I use that term loosely)? She also will delete anything you post on her FB page asking about her part in this outrageous miscarriage of justice. Reader beware. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |

I normally enjoy reading Linda Fairstein, but this one didn't do much for me.

There was a multiple story line: Alexandra's romance w/ Luc (the French 3 Star restaurateur); the murder of one of Luc's former employees, one of his newest employees & drugs; and an "allegedly" raped hotel maid by a well known wealthy Ivory Coast businessman.

The "allegedly" raped hotel maid turns out to be a liar, while Alexandra's rival (who was assigned the case prior to her returning from France and knows nothing of rape victim protocol) and his "girlfriend" (who he assigned to handle the victim) have botched the case.

Luc whose dream is to reopen his father's famous restaurant Lutec, has problems from his past, which he doesn't share w/ Alexandra. His business partners are a bit shady..... and then there is the discovery of the dead employees, drugs and Luc's former wife being an addict.

Somewhere, bones & skulls from the catacombs are placed at the front door of Luc's home, and there is a brief discussion from Jeopardy on the Night Watch by Rembrandt.

There was too much going on, too many distractions, and a few loose ends. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
I look forward to new additions to the series but this was a big disappointment. Alex whined through the entire book. She was so annoying that I considered not finishing it. She has always been such a strong female character - I don't know why Fairstein wrote her personality this way in Night Watch. ( )
  cygnet81 | Jan 17, 2016 |
Night Watch (a title shared with my favorite Terry Pratchett Discworld novel), is my least favorite Alexandra Cooper mystery so far. I didn't mind the mystery, or whether the murders in France and New York are connected. Learning about the restaurant business was not uninteresting.

What I did mind is Cooper acting less like a woman in love worried about her beloved than a spoiled brat throwing tantrums. If Luc has any sense, he'll dump her tout de suite. ( )
  JalenV | May 14, 2015 |
This is the first time that I have read anything by Linda Fairstein and also it was the fourteenth book in a series so I was a little concerned that I would be lost. But the author filled me on all the main characters in the series so this could be read as a standalone.

Alexandria Cooper is the prosecutor in the Manhattan District in the District Attorney’s Office in the Sex Crimes Office. She is on vacation, ready to celebrate her 30th birthday with her lover, Luc Roget. He is the proprietor of a famous restaurant in France but is in the process of opening one in Manhattan. A young woman, who used to work for Luc is found murdered. Soon, she is called back to New York to handle a high profile rape case. The victim is a Guatemalan immigrant who was working as a maid and says that the rapist is Baby Mo aka Mohammed Git Darshin. He is an African who lives in France and the head of the World Economic Bureau.

In this book, I enjoyed reading about the two characters, Mercer Wallace and Mike Chapman much more than about Alex Cooper. She seemed to never want to eat, always tired and has no joy in life except when she is immersed in a tricky case. She didn’t seem like she would be fun to be around. I didn’t like that she hid some facts from the French police. When it came to her relationship with Luc, she has the strength of wet putty. I am hoping that her character will be stronger in whatever other books that I read in this series.

A major problem that I had was that I kept remembering a case that was too similar, New York vs. Strauss-Kahn. That involved an attempted rape of a housekeeping maid and the accused was the Head of the Intermonetary Fund and a candidate for the President of France. There was a great deal of publicity about this at the time. If you don’t remember the case, please do not read about before reading the book. If you do, there will be spoilers for you.

I am not ready to give up on this series because I enjoyed the characters of Mercer Wallace and Mike Chapman so much. ( )
  Carolee888 | Dec 23, 2014 |

Linda Fairsteinprimary authorall editionscalculated
iStockphoto/Thinksto…Cover image of skullssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, WillCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosenblat, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

This is a ripped-from-the-headlines thriller that takes Alexandra Cooper into the dark underside of New York City's most storied restaurants and a murder case spanning continents. Forty-eight hours after Alexandra Cooper arrives in France to visit her boyfriend and famed restaurateur, Luc Rouget, her vacation in paradise is cut short when a young woman from the village is found murdered. The only evidence discovered on the body is one of Luc's matchboxes promoting his new restaurant in New York. But before the investigation begins, Alex is summoned back to New York to handle a high profile case. Mohammed Gil-Darsin, the distinguished and wealthy head of the World Economic Bureau, has been arrested and accused of attacking a maid in his hotel. As the world watches in fascination to see how the scandal will unfold, Alex finds her attention torn between preparing the alleged victim to testify and a murder case with ties too close to home. A second body is found with Luc's matchbox, this time in Brooklyn, and Alex begins to fear that the two cases may not be as unrelated as she thought, and that uncovering the sordid secrets of the city's most wealthy and powerful could cost her and her loved ones everything they hold dear.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,729,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible