Night watch by Linda A. Fairstein

Night watch (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Linda A. Fairstein

2022058,111 (3.6)5
Member:reeread
Title:Night watch
Authors:Linda A. Fairstein
Info:New York : Dutton Adult, 2012.
Rating:***
Tags:restaurants, New York City, France, long distance relationships

Night Watch by Linda Fairstein (2012)

Forty-eight hours after Alexandra Cooper arrived in France to visit her boyfriend, famed restauranteur Luc Rouget, her vacation in paradise is cut short when a young woman from the village is found murdered. The only evidence discovered on the body is one of Luc's matchboxes promoting he's hew restaurant in Manhattan. But before the investigation begins, Alex is summoned back to New York to handle a high-profile case. Mohammed Gil-Darsin, the distinguished and wealthy head of the World Economic Bureau, has been arrested and accused of attacking a maid in his hotel. As the world watches in fascination to see how the scandal will unfold, Alex finds her attention torn between preparing the alleged victim to testify and a murder case with ties too close to home. ( )
  jepeters333 | Nov 22, 2014 |
In some ways I liked this novel more than the previous ones in the series, and in other ways I liked it less.

As usual there were two mysteries going on in the book. There was the story of a very powerful man who was accused by a chambermaid of rape, and at the same time Alex is trying to have a vacation over in France, near Cannes, but a dead body gets in the way. And then she's called home by her boss to help with the high profile case.

What I liked about the novel was the beginning and middle of the high profile case. It was so intricate, that is, until the ending of the story line which I thought was a bit of a cop out, and too 'easy' an ending.

Of course, the writing was great as usual, my problems with the book were more along the lines of how a lot of the relationships were written. For example, from the beginning I never understood the Luc/Alex relationship, it's always seemed off to me. On the other side, one of the relationships I do really like is the Mercer/Alex one. And, unlike the Luk/Alex relationship, I believe that her one with Mercer is very well written and balanced.

And of course, then there's the Mike/Alex relationship. It's like in every book Mike seems to get meaner and meaner in his teasing of Alex, and then comes up with all these excuses for why Alex has to take it ('cause, it's supposed to be funny, c'mon, really?) So he saves her life sometimes and that somehow means that he can insult her too, it drives me crazy. ( )
  DanieXJ | Oct 28, 2014 |
Enjoyed this one

Book Description
Release date: April 2, 2013
New York Times bestselling author Linda Fairstein returns with a ripped-from-the-headlines thriller that takes Alexandra Cooper into the dark underside of New York City’s most storied restaurants and a murder case spanning continents.

While Alexandra Cooper is in France visiting her famed restaurateur boyfriend, Luc Rouget, one of his matchboxes promoting his new restaurant is found on the body of a murdered young woman. But before the investigation begins, Alex is summoned back to New York.

The distinguished and wealthy Head of the World Economic Bureau has been arrested and accused of attacking a maid in his hotel. Alex prepares the alleged victim to testify, but when a second body is found with Luc’s matchbox, she begins to fear that the two cases may not be as unrelated as she thought, and that uncovering the sordid secrets of the city’s most wealthy and powerful could cost her and her loved ones everything they hold dear. ( )
1 vote | Suzanne_Mitchell | Dec 28, 2013 |
This series has always been a comfort read for me. Alex is a grown-up Nancy Drew and because they're so formulaic, I always know what to expect and Alex has a charmed life (well aside from the occasional murdered friend) that is fun to peek in on. One aspect I do like is the NYC history info that is peppered throughout. This time though, it was info-dump overload! Restaurant regulation info. The Paris Catacombs. French drug-running. African art. Wine buying. 21's secret rooms. Wine storage. Ugh! It was too much. Way too much. And please find Alex's spine, Ms. Fairstein. I think she lost it. Maybe it's at the Vineyard or maybe in France or maybe even in the drawer of pantyhose and deodorant in her office, but wherever it is, please give it back to her. If she wasn't a stunned puppy she was blubbering or being confused and snippy. She was hysterical most of the time. Or horny. Or both. Oy. Way too much scenery, backstory and info and way too little crime and investigation.

I appreciated the rape case angle and usually those are secondary plot lines, but this time that case was way more interesting than what was going on with Luc. Who is a jerk, btw. He hasn't had as much screen time prior to this novel so both we readers and Alex got to know his less romantic side and it ain't pretty. I didn't like him much before and now it's even less. There is only one book left in the series unread for me and if it isn't an improvement, I'm afraid it will be my last.

A funny aside...I use a wine storage facility in CT with an eeriliy similar name to the one in the book. Unless a reader is a customer, they wouldn't catch it, but I did. Interesting name change and a bit too close for comfort I think. ( )
2 vote Bookmarque | Oct 12, 2013 |
Alexandra has finally taken some time for herself and flown off to France to be with her love interest - Luc Rouget - a famous restaurateur - but before she can settle for her 2 week vacation, Luc is caught up in a murder in France and she is called home because of a high profile case.

In NYC Blanca Robies, a hotel housekeeper, has charged Mohammed Gil-Darsin, head of the World Economic Bureau and aspiring president of Ivory Coast, of rape, and the DNA evidence seems to prove it. The investigation started without Alex has numerous problems because of the inexperience in the area of rape victims by the other ADAs who try to take over before Alex can return from France.

The issues for Luc seem to follow him when he too comes to NYC and when the two cases seem to become intertwined, Alex does a lot of soul searching to reconcile her feelings with reality. ( )
1 vote cyderry | Apr 18, 2013 |

This is a ripped-from-the-headlines thriller that takes Alexandra Cooper into the dark underside of New York City's most storied restaurants and a murder case spanning continents. Forty-eight hours after Alexandra Cooper arrives in France to visit her boyfriend and famed restaurateur, Luc Rouget, her vacation in paradise is cut short when a young woman from the village is found murdered. The only evidence discovered on the body is one of Luc's matchboxes promoting his new restaurant in New York. But before the investigation begins, Alex is summoned back to New York to handle a high profile case. Mohammed Gil-Darsin, the distinguished and wealthy head of the World Economic Bureau, has been arrested and accused of attacking a maid in his hotel. As the world watches in fascination to see how the scandal will unfold, Alex finds her attention torn between preparing the alleged victim to testify and a murder case with ties too close to home. A second body is found with Luc's matchbox, this time in Brooklyn, and Alex begins to fear that the two cases may not be as unrelated as she thought, and that uncovering the sordid secrets of the city's most wealthy and powerful could cost her and her loved ones everything they hold dear.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,361,214 books! | Top bar: Always visible