Night watch by Linda A. Fairstein

Night watch (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Linda A. Fairstein

Member:reeread
Title:Night watch
Authors:Linda A. Fairstein
Info:New York : Dutton Adult, 2012.
Rating:***
Tags:restaurants, New York City, France, long distance relationships

Night Watch by Linda Fairstein (2012)

Night Watch (a title shared with my favorite Terry Pratchett Discworld novel), is my least favorite Alexandra Cooper mystery so far. I didn't mind the mystery, or whether the murders in France and New York are connected. Learning about the restaurant business was not uninteresting.

What I did mind is Cooper acting less like a woman in love worried about her beloved than a spoiled brat throwing tantrums. If Luc has any sense, he'll dump her tout de suite. ( )
  JalenV | May 14, 2015 |
This is the first time that I have read anything by Linda Fairstein and also it was the fourteenth book in a series so I was a little concerned that I would be lost. But the author filled me on all the main characters in the series so this could be read as a standalone.

Alexandria Cooper is the prosecutor in the Manhattan District in the District Attorney’s Office in the Sex Crimes Office. She is on vacation, ready to celebrate her 30th birthday with her lover, Luc Roget. He is the proprietor of a famous restaurant in France but is in the process of opening one in Manhattan. A young woman, who used to work for Luc is found murdered. Soon, she is called back to New York to handle a high profile rape case. The victim is a Guatemalan immigrant who was working as a maid and says that the rapist is Baby Mo aka Mohammed Git Darshin. He is an African who lives in France and the head of the World Economic Bureau.

In this book, I enjoyed reading about the two characters, Mercer Wallace and Mike Chapman much more than about Alex Cooper. She seemed to never want to eat, always tired and has no joy in life except when she is immersed in a tricky case. She didn’t seem like she would be fun to be around. I didn’t like that she hid some facts from the French police. When it came to her relationship with Luc, she has the strength of wet putty. I am hoping that her character will be stronger in whatever other books that I read in this series.

A major problem that I had was that I kept remembering a case that was too similar, New York vs. Strauss-Kahn. That involved an attempted rape of a housekeeping maid and the accused was the Head of the Intermonetary Fund and a candidate for the President of France. There was a great deal of publicity about this at the time. If you don’t remember the case, please do not read about before reading the book. If you do, there will be spoilers for you.

I am not ready to give up on this series because I enjoyed the characters of Mercer Wallace and Mike Chapman so much. ( )
  Carolee888 | Dec 23, 2014 |
Forty-eight hours after Alexandra Cooper arrived in France to visit her boyfriend, famed restauranteur Luc Rouget, her vacation in paradise is cut short when a young woman from the village is found murdered. The only evidence discovered on the body is one of Luc's matchboxes promoting he's hew restaurant in Manhattan. But before the investigation begins, Alex is summoned back to New York to handle a high-profile case. Mohammed Gil-Darsin, the distinguished and wealthy head of the World Economic Bureau, has been arrested and accused of attacking a maid in his hotel. As the world watches in fascination to see how the scandal will unfold, Alex finds her attention torn between preparing the alleged victim to testify and a murder case with ties too close to home. ( )
  jepeters333 | Nov 22, 2014 |
In some ways I liked this novel more than the previous ones in the series, and in other ways I liked it less.

As usual there were two mysteries going on in the book. There was the story of a very powerful man who was accused by a chambermaid of rape, and at the same time Alex is trying to have a vacation over in France, near Cannes, but a dead body gets in the way. And then she's called home by her boss to help with the high profile case.

What I liked about the novel was the beginning and middle of the high profile case. It was so intricate, that is, until the ending of the story line which I thought was a bit of a cop out, and too 'easy' an ending.

Of course, the writing was great as usual, my problems with the book were more along the lines of how a lot of the relationships were written. For example, from the beginning I never understood the Luc/Alex relationship, it's always seemed off to me. On the other side, one of the relationships I do really like is the Mercer/Alex one. And, unlike the Luk/Alex relationship, I believe that her one with Mercer is very well written and balanced.

And of course, then there's the Mike/Alex relationship. It's like in every book Mike seems to get meaner and meaner in his teasing of Alex, and then comes up with all these excuses for why Alex has to take it ('cause, it's supposed to be funny, c'mon, really?) So he saves her life sometimes and that somehow means that he can insult her too, it drives me crazy. ( )
  DanieXJ | Oct 28, 2014 |
Enjoyed this one

Book Description
Release date: April 2, 2013
New York Times bestselling author Linda Fairstein returns with a ripped-from-the-headlines thriller that takes Alexandra Cooper into the dark underside of New York City’s most storied restaurants and a murder case spanning continents.

While Alexandra Cooper is in France visiting her famed restaurateur boyfriend, Luc Rouget, one of his matchboxes promoting his new restaurant is found on the body of a murdered young woman. But before the investigation begins, Alex is summoned back to New York.

The distinguished and wealthy Head of the World Economic Bureau has been arrested and accused of attacking a maid in his hotel. Alex prepares the alleged victim to testify, but when a second body is found with Luc’s matchbox, she begins to fear that the two cases may not be as unrelated as she thought, and that uncovering the sordid secrets of the city’s most wealthy and powerful could cost her and her loved ones everything they hold dear. ( )
1 vote | Suzanne_Mitchell | Dec 28, 2013 |

Linda Fairsteinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
iStockphoto/Thinksto…Cover image of skullssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, WillCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosenblat, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

This is a ripped-from-the-headlines thriller that takes Alexandra Cooper into the dark underside of New York City's most storied restaurants and a murder case spanning continents. Forty-eight hours after Alexandra Cooper arrives in France to visit her boyfriend and famed restaurateur, Luc Rouget, her vacation in paradise is cut short when a young woman from the village is found murdered. The only evidence discovered on the body is one of Luc's matchboxes promoting his new restaurant in New York. But before the investigation begins, Alex is summoned back to New York to handle a high profile case. Mohammed Gil-Darsin, the distinguished and wealthy head of the World Economic Bureau, has been arrested and accused of attacking a maid in his hotel. As the world watches in fascination to see how the scandal will unfold, Alex finds her attention torn between preparing the alleged victim to testify and a murder case with ties too close to home. A second body is found with Luc's matchbox, this time in Brooklyn, and Alex begins to fear that the two cases may not be as unrelated as she thought, and that uncovering the sordid secrets of the city's most wealthy and powerful could cost her and her loved ones everything they hold dear.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,173,231 books! | Top bar: Always visible