Calico Joe by John Grisham

Calico Joe

by John Grisham

English (80)  German (1)  All (81)
Calico Joe es una novela corta (unas 200 páginas) que se publicó en abril del 2012 y que narra una historia de familia, decepción, perdón y baseball.

Encierra en sus páginas una historia simple pero poderosa, que fácilmente te pondrá al borde de las lágrimas dos o tres veces. Es una historia memorable con repercusiones morales y que usa el campo de baseball como zapata.

Al ser una novela corta, es difícil para mi poder abundar mucho tanto en el argumento como en la opinión de la misma. Pero puedo decir que es una lectura amena, rápida y placentera, una recomendación acertada aún sea para no-seguidores del deporte.

Hablando del mismo, Grisham mezcla jugadores reales de la época con jugadores ficticios y hace cambios en el calendario y algunas estadísticas para dar credibilidad a la obra. Son detalles que logra sumergirnos en las páginas y nadar entre palabras de un autor que "hizo su tarea".

Hay un poco para todos en Calico Joe, seas o no fanático del deporte. Es una novela que va más allá, una novela difícil de olvidar. ( )
  JorgeLC | Apr 28, 2018 |
Excellent book! I loved baseball as a little girl and followed major league teams and collected baseball cards. I recognized many of the names of the baseball players mentioned in the book and it was fun to read because of that. However, you do not need to know baseball or how the sport is played to thoroughly enjoy the book. Calico Joe is told from the perspective of Paul, the son of a major league baseball pitcher, Warren Tracey. Paul wants to idolize his father, but his father is abusive and drinks and criticizes everything about 11-year-old Paul, who plays baseball as a pitcher. During the same summer, a rookie, Joe Castle is breaking all kinds of records and leading the Cubs to a winning season. Paul follows everything about Joe Castle and is excited to see if play the night his father is pitching. What Paul's father does that night on the baseball field changes all of their lives forever. ( )
  EdenSteffey | Mar 14, 2018 |
Paul Tracey has had little contact with his father over the years until he gets a call saying his father is dying. Paul knows that this will have little impact on his life but feels it is time to close some open wounds from his past.
"After a few minutes, I admit the truth - life without Warren will be the same as life with him."

Paul revisits his childhood as the son of a major league ball player and the son of the most hated man in baseball in 1973. Paul will travel many miles to try and make Warren face up to the wrongs that he did in the past and get closure for themselves and for the man who Warren ruined everything for.

John Grisham steps outside his norm of writing legal thrillers and delivers this touching story. You don't have to like baseball to enjoy this story. ( )
  ChelleBearss | Mar 9, 2018 |
This is a decent short story. No legal components at all - so not your normal Grisham. The story centers around the now grown son of a cruel professional baseball player. I think Grisham's intent was to have a story of forgiveness and at least a measure of redemption. However, though it feels realistic, when you finally arrive at the forgiveness it seems to fall a bit flat - failing to fully portray the power of forgiveness. Nevertheless it is still a good read particularly if you are short on time as you should be able to read it in a few hours. ( )
  KenMcLain | Jul 18, 2017 |
Not one of Grisham's best. Admittedly, it was odd to have the primary character be female - but overall the story was a bit weak - it just did not "grab" me like most of his have done. Seem like the author is running a bit hot & cold lately. ( )
  labdaddy4 | Jul 3, 2017 |
Review Written by Bernie Weisz, Historian Pembroke Pines, Florida, U.S.A. September 30, 2012 Contact: BernWei1@aol.com Title of Review: The Code of Baseball, A Ruined Childhood & A Trip Down Memory Lane!
Anyone that became a teenager in the early 1970's will immediately take to John Grisham's "Calico Joe." Especially one that grew up in New York and liked baseball. I know, I was one of them. Grisham's book revolves around a washed up, aging picture for the New York Mets named Paul Tracy and his mercurial, volatile relationship with his son Paul. Added in is a rookie phenom for the Cubs named Joe Castle. Castle, dubbed "Calico Joe," sets major league records in his 1973 rookie debut for consecutive games safely hit. Paul Castle fell in love with Calico Joe, even keeping a scrapbook of his accolades unbeknownst to his father. Grisham portrays Warren as a philanderer, a beanball artist, a drunkard and an abusive husband and father. Shades of the Tony Conigliaro incident are introduced when the Cubs come into town to play the Mets with the National League East pennant on the line. With Paul and his disgruntled mother in the stands at Shea Stadium, the two watch as Castle goes up against his father after successfully pounding Warren for a hit his first time up.

The "code of baseball" is introduced, at least Warren's conception of it. If a batsman shows up the pitcher in any way the previous at bat, or is a cocky rookie, the next at bat will surely be a beanball. However, Warren was a cruel, mean "headhunter," and demanded Paul be like him in playing Little League. Without any remorse, the senior Tracy will throw at anyone's head as revenge, rarely missing. In Castle's second at bat, the lives of both the Castle and Tracy are forever changed. The ironies involved and the unpredictable twists of fate make this novel truly amazing. The names thrown out, e.g. Tom Seaver, Bobby Murcer, Ron Santo, Ferguson Jenkins, etc., bring back such vivid memories of a reader's lost youthhood that it is impossible to not love and embrace this fantastically written novel. Even more realistic are the memories Grisham introduces, such as his descriptions of the Long Island Railroad being ridden, Willets Point in Flushing and both old Shea and Yankee Stadium, Wrigley Field, etc., with fitting descriptions of the temperaments of the fans of each. Grisham fast forwards forty years later and cleverly plays out a scenario involving Warren, dying of cancer, a caustic Paul and a forever enfeebled Joe Castle.

The realism is strikingly apparent, regardless of Grisham's introduction of a fictional protagonist. In fact, the author cleverly let former Cub infielder Don Kessinger proof read and correct "Calico Joe" for realism. Kessinger's interjections make this story so absorbing, captivating and realistic that anyone reading this cannot but be spellbound by "Calico Joe." Memories flash of Carl Mays, Ray Chapman and Tony C. Mays was a right-handed pitcher in Major League Baseball from 1915 to 1929. Despite impressive career statistics, he is primarily remembered for throwing a beanball on August 16, 1920, that struck and killed Ray Chapman of the Cleveland Indians, making Chapman the only Major League player to die as a direct result of an injury sustained on the field. Similarly, Tony Conigliaro nicknamed "Tony C" played for the Boston Red Sox during their "Impossible Dream" season of 1967. He was hit in the face by a pitch from Jack Fisher, causing a severe eye injury and derailing his career. Though he would make a dramatic comeback from the injury, his career was not the same afterwards. Whether you like baseball or not, "Calico Joe" has something for any reader, guaranteeing a satisfying read!
added by BERNIE2260 | editAmazon, Bernie Weisz (Sep 30, 2012)

Calico Joe is a typical virtuoso display of Grisham’s natural story-telling skills. Slowly emerging through flashbacks within flashbacks and fragmented conversations is the history of Paul’s unhappy childhood at his father’s hands.

Warren’s treatment of his family goes deep and Paul’s pain will not ease but barriers are broken down.

The result is a superbly written book which, though fewer than 200 pages long, deserves a place on any family bookshelf.

The tumor in my father's pancreas was removed last week in an operation that lasted five hours and was more difficult than his surgeons had expected.

It’s the summer of 1973, and Joe Castle is the boy wonder of baseball, the greatest rookie anyone has ever seen. The kid from Calico Rock, Arkansas, dazzles Chicago Cubs fans as he hits home run after home run, politely tipping his hat to the crowd as he shatters all rookie records. Calico Joe quickly becomes the idol of every baseball fan in America, including Paul Tracey, the young son of a hard-partying and hard-throwing New York Mets pitcher. On the day that Warren Tracey finally faces Calico Joe, Paul is in the stands, rooting for his idol but also for his dad. Then Warren throws a fastball that will change their lives forever.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385536070, Hardcover)

John Grisham
John Grisham
Amazon Q & A with John Grisham

Q: What's your favorite baseball team?
A: St. Louis Cardinals. My father was a Cardinals fan, as was my grandfather. When I was a kid growing up in the rural south, everyone listened to the Cardinals on the radio. We seldom missed a game.

Q: What's your most memorable game--as player, coach, or fan?
A: I played a lot of baseball when I was a kid and teenager, but I do not recall making any spectacular plays. When I coached baseball, my teams usually lost. As a fan, Game 6 of the World Series last year, Cardinals vs. Rangers, comes to mind.

Q: Have you played or coached baseball? What position?
A: I was an average high school baseball player with big dreams. I tried to play in college, but got myself cut in the fall practices. I was an outfielder with a weak arm.

Q: Why are there seemingly more baseball books--both fiction and nonfiction--than other sports?
A: Baseball is a uniquely American sport, and it is the oldest organized sport in the country. It has a rich and colorful history, and up until the last generation, it was the most popular sport for kids to play. Sadly, that is changing.

Q: Who was the Joe Castle of your childhood--a player you revered? And was there a Warren Tracey?
A: I was never much of a Red Sox fan, but I adored Tony Conigliaro. He was a great player, and a certain Hall of Famer. The beanball that struck him in the eye ruined a great career.

Q: While researching Calico Joe, did you attend or watch games? Did you write any of the book at a stadium?
A: I only write in one place, and that's my office at home. I take a lot of notes when I travel around and research, which I did for Calico Joe.

Q: Did you employ any other behind-the-scenes techniques--watch old footage, interview players, read old issues of Sports Illustrated?
A: Yes, all of the above. I interviewed several former major league players. I read lots of old magazines, news articles, and books about baseball, and specifically, The Code. I found some footage of famous beanball wars of recent times.

Q: Do the beanball or the brushback have a place in today's baseball? Even Joe seemed to accept them as "part of the game."
A: Yes. There are times in baseball when a particular hitter must get hit. There are many reasons for this, but retaliation is always a factor. Problems arise though when the pitch is above the shoulders, and aimed at batter's head. If a pitcher does this intentionally, and they do it all the time, they are fooling around with a player's career. Throwing at a batter's head is never acceptable in baseball, even as retaliation.

Q: Have you ever been hit? Have you ever hit someone else?
A: Every baseball player gets hit. Fortunately, I was never beaned in the head. Our coaches never let me anywhere near the pitcher's mound, so I never hit a batter.

Q: Do you love baseball? If so, why? Any concerns that the sport and its stars (as Warren gripes in the book) have changed?
A: I still love baseball but it's not the game of my youth. The pro game today is dominated by money and, frankly, there is a lot of bad baseball being played. I find it frustrating, but I always get pumped at World Series time. College baseball is far more exciting.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:09 -0400)

This story, based on the Cubs and Mets 1973 season follows the divergent paths of Joe Castle, a rookie hitter for the Chicago Cubs and Warren Tracey, a hard-throwing Mets pitcher.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,415,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible