15 Seconds: A Novel by Andrew Gross

15 Seconds: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Andrew Gross

Member:iddrazin
Title:15 Seconds: A Novel
Authors:Andrew Gross
Info:William Morrow (2012), Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Crime, suspense

15 Seconds by Andrew Gross

15 Seconds is a book that starts fast and keeps going. I'm generally not a big fan of thrillers, but this one drew me in. 19 year-old Amanda has a life that is anything but easy. High on Oxy, and trying to escape her problems, she makes the fatal mistake that will change her life forever. Henry Steadman is on his way to deliver a keynote speech in what he hopes to be a life turning point. Little does he know what type of turning point lies ahead. I wasn't sure how Amanda and Henry's stories were connected, but I can tell you that I wanted to find out.

I read madly through the first half of this book, hanging on every word. Andrew Gross knows just how to build suspense throughout the story. It's definitely tough not to keep reading on. Love getting lost in a book? Here's one that will do that for you. Trust me. Despite the fact that I sometimes felt a bit confused by the web of events, the story was so immersive that I just couldn't stop reading. It was like watching a car wreck, but being unable to look away. You have to know what happens. 15 Seconds is pure adrenaline.

Add in gripping and believable characters, and you have a book that is hard to put down. Henry, Carrie and Amanda all have their own unique backgrounds and personalities. I'd have to say that Carrie is my favorite. Faced with the choice between helping someone she barely knows, and keeping a safe distance, Carrie chooses to be a hero. She definitely kicks butt! Even the secondary characters are fabulously written. I'll say this, Gross knows hows his character building.

The one qualm that I had was that the story slowed significantly as it neared the end. Plus the closer I got the more I was able to see what was going to happen before it did. Not necessarily a bad thing! Trust me, I still definitely enjoyed this read. If you are a thriller fan, or if you are looking for a great place to start, get your hands on a copy of 15 Seconds. Then, hold on tight. ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
Forgettable....predictable. Eh.

LMJenkins | Nov 28, 2018 |
15 Seconds by Andrew Gross
4.5 Stars

From the Book:
An electrifying, lightning-paced story of a desperate man on the run, trying to save his family from the faceless enemy that’s determined to destroy them all. A gripping tale of a life turned upside-down in 15 Seconds,

My Thoughts:

Two dads and two daughters. One trying to blame everybody but himself about how his daughter turned out....the second dad trying to save his daughter. The story is a case of where a prominent doctor has his life turned around and upside down and no one will take the time to check his story or believe him. You can't read this without feeling the frustration and helplessness of Dr. Henry Steadman.

There were some events that were portrayed that more than likely just wouldn't have happened...or at least not the way they are written....but they weren't enough to take anything away from the story. Get the book...sit back and enjoy the ride. ( )
  Carol420 | Apr 2, 2017 |
Fast moving novel that starts with an incident that the author went through himself- over zealous police at a traffic stop. Dr. Steadman is on his way from the airport to his hotel to get dressed to go golfing with a friend when he is pulled over for going through a yellow light. Eventually he finds himself in handcuffs in the back seat of a police car. After the bizarre incident is rectified by other police officers and while waiting for the policeman to write up a warning, the officer is suddenly shot and killed by another motorist. Now Steadman is on the run when other police start shooting at him every time they see him.

One of the characters is an angry poorly educated white man who blames the elite for his problems and ignores his own problems with anger management and alcohol. Sound familiar?

The mystified doctor starts to search for who is targeting him and why. Don't start this unless you have a lot of free time. You won't be able to put it down. ( )
  lamour | Jan 2, 2017 |
Fast paced suspense with a hook at the end of each chapter, 15 Seconds reads more like a script for a TV police drama than a book. But that's ok, it's all good. A few plot details stretched a little beyond credibility but they went by so quickly I hardly noticed. And who knows, in the afterward the author recounts that he was subjected to a false arrest/interrogation like the one in the book so it could all be possible. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |

15 seconds can tear your life apart...

Henry Steadman didn't know what was about to hit him when he pulled up to a red light. A successful Florida plastic surgeon, he is in town to deliver a keynote address at a conference when suddenly his life becomes an unrelenting chase to stay alive.

Stopped by the police for a minor traffic violation, the situation escalates and he is pulled from his vehicle, handcuffed and told he is under arrest. Several other police cars arrive and the questioning turns scary, but just as Henry is released and about to move on, a blue sedan pulls up and the officer is suddenly killed. As the car speeds away, there is only one suspect left behind–Henry. In that moment, his idyllic life becomes a free fall into hell as he becomes the target of a police manhunt, as well as being pursued by a cunning, unnamed perpetrator bent on some kind of vengeance.

When Henry turns to a close friend for help, and he, too, ends up dead, Henry realizes he's being elaborately framed. But in a chilling twist, the stakes grow even darker, and he is unable to go to the police to clear his name, without bringing on dire and deadly consequences.

With breakneck pacing and nonstop action, 15 Seconds shows what can happen when even the best life is turned upside down in an instant. It is also the story of an innocent man, framed for murder, who has to save the person he loves the most, all while being drawn closer and closer to an inevitable face-to-face standoff with a man determined to destroy his life.

When a random act of violence plunges him into a nightmarish world, Henry Steadman, a successful surgeon accused of murdering two people, must clear his name and discover who is trying to destroy him in order to save himself and his family.

Andrew Gross is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,077,771 books! | Top bar: Always visible