The Man Who Crossed Worlds by Chris Strange

The Man Who Crossed Worlds (2011)

by Chris Strange

Good concept , started kind of cheesey but definitely got better as the story progressed. It was a decent read and I would recommend it to some of my reader friends who prefer the supernatural/ sci-fi genre. ( )
  demonite93 | Nov 26, 2014 |
I received this book for free in exchange for providing an honest review.
Miles Franco is a tunneller, he is able to transport people from Heaven to Earth through tunnels he is able to create. He is in business for himself and sometimes he walks a fine line between what is legal and what is not. After one of his not so legal trips he is arrested and forced into a deal with the cops that he is not exactly eager to accept. But it's better than jail time.
We have Miles our tunneller, a thirteen year old girl who wants to train for the same job, an old style cop and his beautiful partner, a mob boss with a beautiful wife and a new drug that could through the entire city into chaos. With Miles attracted to both women and his reluctance to do the job what could possibly go wrong?
I love this authors style of writing. He tells a story well and every now and then slips in a phrase that could have come from an old fashioned private detective novel. I'm not normally a fan of a book written in the first person but the author Chris Strange allows Miles to tell the story and tell the story well. This is definitely a author that I will now follow and am looking forward to reading the next book in the series, ( )
  lexiesmom | Aug 28, 2013 |
I received "The Man Who Crossed Worlds" and "The Man Who Walked in Darkness" by Chris Strange through Librarything.com.

Oh wow these Miles Franco books are good. I read lots of Urban Fantasy and I would certainly tell you if these were not worth reading. Nitpickers will say, "Oh, Harry Dresden did this first.", "Felix Castor does that too.", "I saw that in Charles de Lint." and if you are going to read like that then perhaps you should stop reading Urban Fantasy because there are limits to where these books can go.

Miles is a fresh character and Tunneling is cool. Tunneling technology is framed to allow Mr. Strange to write as many books in the series as he has ideas. No need to visit the same world twice.

The complaints I have are grammatical, as always. Mr. Strange needs to work on his verb tenses (past of "to sink" is "sank", not "sunk") and his object pronouns.

And why do these guys all end up with supernatural dogs? Why not cats or monkeys or parrots? ( )
  Dokfintong | Aug 3, 2013 |
I received this book in Member Giveaway in exchange for a review. And I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The book is really great. I liked everything - the main hero, whose a bit sarcastic and auto-ironic humor had me laughing a few times and reminded me a bit of Felix Castor, the plot, whose twists maybe were not totally unpredictable, but I enjoyed immensely, the genre, a bit of noir, science fiction and pulp, the dialogues, which were always a bit of fun but really realistic.

I can't wait to read about Miles Franco's other adventures. ( )
  Kaczencja | Aug 26, 2012 |
I received this book in Member Giveaway in exchange for a review. I am glad that I did. I really enjoyed the story. The characters were interesting to read about and the plot was a lot of fun. I enjoyed the genre, a mixture of science fiction and film noir and hard-boiled detectives. The seting was interesting, and I would love to know more about how the tunneling and movement through dimensions works and the history of this world. It was a great read, and I look forward to reading more by this author. ( )
  calicocat901 | Jul 14, 2012 |
Not many things scared me.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Chris Strange's book The Man Who Crossed Worlds was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

C. R. Hindmarsh is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,979,422 books! | Top bar: Always visible