Let Love Find You by Johanna Lindsey

Let Love Find You

by Johanna Lindsey

Series: Locke Family (4), Reid Family (Jun 2012, book 4)

:) ( )
  Janicemo | Aug 17, 2017 |
I'm seriously wondering if Johanna Lindsey actually was the author of this book or if it is the work of a ghostwriter. The heroine was annoying and self centered and the hero was bland. They had no chemistry together. Some of the writing seemed really clunky to the point I had to re-read a paragraph to understand what was said.The writing was horribly repetitious. There were 2 sub-par sex scenes towards the end of the book that added virtually nothing to the book. If that wasn't bad enough the book had similarities to one of my favorite JL books Man of My Dreams which is quite upsetting. Man of My Dreams has a horse breeder named Devlin.Let Love Find You has a horse breeder named Devin. Really Johanna, really?

Amanda talked in exclamation points and thought in exclamation points. It was completely ridiculous. At one point I realized I was cringing when I saw yet another exclamation point and at another point I realized I was actually counting them. In 15 pages there were over 30 exclamation points. When you start counting punctuation marks while reading a book, you know there are problems.

In addition to the unbelievable amount of exclamation points Amanda's favorite word was a'tall which she used alllll the time. As in “It’s different here, not a’tall like at home in the country, where I’ve got so much to occupy me.” . I've not read a book set in this time period (which I imagine is regency or there abouts) that had as many slang words. A few of the characters used the word aint. And they weren't even commoners. Speaking of words that I'm not used to reading in historical romances I also found it odd that almost everyone had a nickname. Amanda was Mandy. Rebecca was Becky. Ophelia was either Pheli or Phelia. I know it wasn't unheard of but it felt jarring and untrue to the period.

The plot was horrible too. Through more than half the book it appeared that Amanda's search for a husband was the entire plot. After half the book suddenly a new plot device was introduced which was completely underwhelming and not fully realized.

I've read most everything Johanna Lindsey has written and found I loved some but disliked others. This book went beyond dislike. I truly hated it.

Here are a few quotes that I feel show why I dislike the characters and this book so much....in paranthesis I've made a few comments about the quotes....

Amanda sighed. "I have so many, too many really, choices of men to pick from. It's just becoming a bit difficult to sort them all out."
(said the self centered egotistical twit)

Amanda hurried away, not sure what about that old dame annoyed her. But really, Amanda already knew Farrell, considered him somewhat a friend, but for a matchmaker to recommend to her a second son with no prospects? The woman had to be going batty in her advanced years.
(thought the self centered egotistical twit who planned to marry for love but apparently only if that love was not with a second son)

Devin knew that daring Amanda to tackle riding lessons had been a long shot. A man would accept the challenge, a woman would find numerous excuses to decline it.
(thought the man who appears to be more of a male chauvinist pig than a hero)

"As for Robert," Amanda added with a grin,"if I'm not at least a little cold to him because of his near scandal, he won't be repentant enough to make sure it never happens again."
"Sound reasoning, I suppose," Preston allowed.
"Perfect reasoning," Julie agreed...
(because a disproving frown from a proper young lady can change the behavior of a womanizing man....) ( )
  ChristinaT. | Dec 3, 2016 |
slow but ok pretty feeble ending though ( )
  afarrington | Dec 18, 2015 |
I could not engage with these characters at all, tried so hard to get into the story but no emotional pull. ( )
  KimberlyDuBoise | Jul 23, 2014 |
After not being a fan of the first Johanna Lindsey book I tried, I'm so glad I gave her another shot. Let Love Find You was wonderful!

Amanda Locke is a talkative, charismatic girl in her third season who refuses to marry unless she finds love. So far, her admirers have done little to spark her interest. When she meets the handsome and distinguished lord Kindell, she decides that she'll do whatever it takes to snatch him as her husband; even if that means facing her biggest fear - learning to ride a horse. After a bad accident as a child, Amanda has come up with creative ways to get out of social gatherings involving riding. However, as that is Kindell's biggest, and perhaps only interest, Amanda must learn to ride if she wants to bring him up to scratch. The second biggest challenge is getting over her fear to get back on a horse. The first is putting up with riding lessons from the handsome devilish brute, Devin Baldwin.

Devin, an avid horse breeder, could care less what society thinks of him. After a tough childhood with a father he never knew and a mother who sent him away, Devin is determined not to let anyone close to him. It's ironic then that a natural inclination for matching making has dubbed him "Cupid" to the ton. Devin's seen too many bad pairings in high society to want to help couples make a good match. When he notices little miss sunshine, Amanda, having difficulty choosing a mate he steps in at the request of her family to help her win a husband. Little does he know that dealing with the exasperating stubborn girl will change everything he ever thought he believed about love.

With some quirky family members, attempted murder, and a fair dose of scandal thrown in, this book is a fun and delightful read!

Hero: 5/5
  Azacia | Dec 8, 2013 |

Lindsey, Johannaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nunes, Julia PaivaÜbersetzermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prologue
THE BOY STOOD AT his bedroom window, watching the falling snow.

When an Earl passionate about horses becomes the target of her husband hunt, Amanda Locke knows it's time to overcome her fear of riding. With her sister-in-law Ophelia hastening the romance along by arranging riding lessons, Amanda is soon taking instruction from infuriating Devin Baldwin. Astonishingly, in her daily encounters with Devin--who treats her as an ordinary young woman, not a prize to be won at the marriage mart--Amanda experiences passion for the first time. Now, her search for a match takes her in an unexpected direction as she finds herself falling in love with Cupid himself.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,136,259 books! | Top bar: Always visible