Beach House Memories by Mary Alice Monroe

Beach House Memories (2012)

by Mary Alice Monroe

Lovie and her two children spend every summer at the beach house inherited from her parents. She becomes involved in saving the sea turtles, marking their nests and documenting their offsprings. It becomes her lifetime passion and because of it she meets the love of her life. When her husband physically abuses her (he drinks a lot) she asks for a divorce3. There are twists and turns in all their lives. To find the ending read this book - it is good! ( )
  rphalliburton | Apr 15, 2014 |
Disclosure: I won a free copy through Good Reads First Reads. Thanks!

Lovie tries to meet expectations, keep her family together, and find her own happiness. Lovie and her children travel to Primrose Cottage, the Beach House for the summer. Lovie is known as the Turtle Lady; she has been monitoring Loggerhead Sea Turtle activity for over ten years. She notices a flyer for a Sea Turtle Study led by Dr. Russell Bennett. Working as partners, over the summer, Lovie and Russell fall in love and have an affair. “I propose we make a promise. We will wait six months. Time enough for us to return to our lives, to cool our heads, and to think through all the ramifications of our decisions. Carefully and deliberately. There must be no contact until the six months are over. None at all. No pressure of any kind…If in March—the Ides of March—if on March fifteenth either one of us chooses to leave our spouse, we will come back here to the beach house. If I come and you are not there—…If either of us chooses not to show up, the other will never call again. We will abide by the decision, no matter how hard it may be to accept. Are we agreed?” The Pact is made; divorce is thought about. Lovie sustains domestic violence causing broken ribs. She makes her decisions and abides by them, though she still remembers Russell and those Beach House Memories.

This book raises many issues: environmental issues (Loggerhead Sea Turtles); domestic violence; class; and women’s rights. Many life’s lessons are learned from Lovie from the Loggerhead Sea Turtles. ( )
  sar96 | Jan 2, 2014 |
Disclosure: I won a free copy through Good Reads First Reads. Thanks!

sar96 | Jan 2, 2014 |
Enjoyable beach read. Lovey fans will like knowing her backstory, although it is a standalone book. ( )
  liisa22 | Aug 13, 2013 |
I learned more than I ever thought to know about loggerhead turtles! But the details about their nests, the hatchlings, the return to the sea, etc. certainly linked Lovie, the protagonist, with the love of her life, Dr. Russell Bennett in short order! The author's descriptions of the sea and life in the Carolina Lowcountry in the seaside community of Isle of Palms put you right there. Also her glimpses into Charleston society were well done. Monroe also did an excellent job of presenting the obstacles facing women in the 1970s and before, when it came to initiating a divorce from an unwilling and abusive spouse. I became caught up in the love affair right along with Lovie, and was reaching for the kleenex long before the ending. I have to say that some of the scenes were a stretch -- Russell, returning to the cottage in mid-March in the middle of "... a nor'easter. Bitter cold winds whipped the Lowcountry, spitting out icy drops that clung to trees ...." Yet we read that Russell, with only his love to keep him warm, remained waiting outside all night in the freezing cold. Kind of hard to imagine. This is a good novel for those who enjoy romance stories with some substance and love scenes that leave things to the imagination. ( )
  suztales | Jan 6, 2013 |
This book is dedicated to Marguerite, my dear sister and brilliant muse.
Lovie Rutledge believed memories were like the tides.

A tale exploring themes of class, women's rights and domestic abuse in the 1970s American South shares the story of The Beach House's Lovie Rutledge, who reflects on a summer during which a beach vacation to escape her unfaithful, disdainful husband culminates in a fateful romance with a handsome biologist.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,991,374 books! | Top bar: Always visible