The Risk Agent by Ridley Pearson

The Risk Agent (edition 2012)

by Ridley Pearson

Tags:Fiction, Mystery, China, ERR

The Risk Agent by Ridley Pearson

Recently added byprivate library, Relyb, chlcpa28, Fidget78

good thriller/suspense

See my full review at purstextuality.ckm ( )
  Fidget78 | Jan 5, 2014 |
didn't finish
  plk11 | Sep 22, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Having enjoyed both the Lou Boldt and Walt Fleming series of books, I was eager to meet Ridley’s newest protagonist John Knox. As it turns out there are two protagonists in the Risk Agent. Meet John Knox, a self-employed civilian with plenty of military/combat/covert training, and Grace Chu, former Chinese military now accountant. These two civilian operatives pair up on the streets of Shanghai as they try to locate a kidnapped reporter and purported blackmailer, while balancing their actions against the possible backlash of government interference.

Very different from Pearson's other series. Fast-paced thriller aspects, with good chemistry between Chu and Knox, somewhat reluctantly partnered together to extract hostages and/or find the information they have been taken for. Both have ulterior motives and difficulty trusting each other. Time is running out as their investigation takes them through the crowded streets of Shanghai.

Ridley provides a very complicated plot with many threads tangled together, incorporating culture, espionage, treachery, corruption, and fast-paced action on foreign soil. The one thing he is exceptional at is action scenes involving chases, and one finds plenty of those here.

I got a little lost in the politics, high-finances and corruption that abound, but overall a solid thrill ride with a couple of interesting characters ( )
  jamespurcell | Nov 24, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
John Knox and Grace Chu are paired up in China to find Chu's relative that has been kidnapped and Knox's friend has been kidnapped as well. Chu is looking into the financial aspect of the kidnapping and Knox is the brawn. The pair of them have to sort through a tangle of information and keep themselves safe. And still rescue the two individuals that have been kidnapped.

This book started out a little slow for me but after about a third of the way through, I couldn't put it down. I loved the characters of Knox and Chu throughout the book. They seemed to compliment each other quite well. The suspense was developed nicely. I also like the format of the book with the dates and times listed as you read.

One of the issues that I found myself struggling with was that there were so many characters that it was hard to keep up with how they were all associated with one another. By the end of the book I was a little lost but I still enjoyed it and it didn't detract from the book too much.

I enjoyed the inserts about the Chinese history and culture. I felt that Pearson included enough information about China but did not go too overboard and bore the reader. I also like that he would write a word in Chinese but give the English translation. It brought the book to life for me.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Pearson did not disappoint me. I loved the suspense, the characters, the twists and turns, and the setting. I would love to see Knox and Chu come into play in a future Ridley Pearson novel. ( )
  damejennylynn | Aug 23, 2012 |
I ilke thd 'other' Ridley Pearson. Way too much going on with names hardto pronounce ( )
  Tommie1 | Aug 15, 2012 |
To the students of Fudan University, who made my year in Shanghai possible
Lu Hao, a slim, well-dressed man in his twenties, stood on the roof of a subcompact car the size of a toaster, peering over a ten-foot-high concrete-block wall and into the parking lot outside an aging tannery.

A Chinese National working for an American-owned construction company is grabbed off the streets of Shanghai in broad daylight.  His one-man security detail goes missing as well.
Rutherford Risk is a firm specializing in extraction: the negotiation for, and the recovery of hostages. Private investigation is illegal in today's China. Operating within her borders will be difficult at best.
The security company recruits two unique outsiders to do their bidding. Grace Chu is a forensic accountant hired to follow the money; John Knox is a civilian with unparalleled training in both combat and culture. Grace’s top-notch American education and Chinese military service make her an unassuming, but effective, operative, while Knox’s take-no-prisoners attitude brings them perilously close to harm. Following the money leads to more complex – and dangerous – consequences than either anticipated. Who is actually behind the kidnapping? And more important, can Knox and Grace locate the two hostages ahead of the deadline?
Rich with the atmosphere of Shanghai and crackling with tension-filled suspense, Pearson's latest introduces two compelling new characters—and heralds in the start of a brilliant new series.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:35 -0400)

When a Chinese National working for an American-owned construction company is grabbed off the streets of Shanghai in broad daylight and his one-man security detail goes missing, the security firm Rutherford Risk hires two unique outsiders to locate the two hostages ahead of the deadline.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Risk Agent by Ridley Pearson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,415,651 books! | Top bar: Always visible