Friends Forever by Danielle Steel

Friends Forever

by Danielle Steel

not usually a Danielle Steel reader but I enjoyed this one ( )
  Melissa1980 | May 5, 2017 |
This book caught my interest from their encounter in kindergarten until adulthood! Once started it was difficult to put down! ( )
  Mariavictoria | Apr 18, 2014 |
This book wad very enjoyable, it follows 5 families who met the first day of kindergarten and finished as the children were adults. Great telling of how life can be. These are friendships that I am afraid don't exsist as much today and that means that the young adults of today are missing out on so much laughter, joy,tears, adventures with forever friends.

Goodreads writes:

Five children meet on the first day of kindergarten. In the years that follow, they become friends and more than friends. Together, they will find strength, meet challenges, face life’s adventures, endure loss, face stark realities, and open their hearts. In this moving novel, #1 New York Times bestselling author Danielle Steel traces their unforgettable journey—full of tests and trials—as three boys and two girls discover the vital bonds that will last a lifetime.
  jnut1 | Mar 4, 2014 |
I recently read the novel Friends Forever by Danielle Steel. This was the first time this book had been published in paperback. I have not read anything by Danielle Steel for a long, long while and I needed a change from the mystery, crime, and thriller books I generally read. What follows is a synopsis from the back of the book and my thoughts on this story.

Synopsis:

Five children meet on the first day of kindergarten. In the years that follow, the three boys and two girls become friends and more than friends. Together, they will find strength, meet challenges, face life’s adventures, endure tragedy, and open their hearts. In what may be her most intricate and emotionally powerful novel yet, Danielle Steel traces their unforgettable journey.

Gabby, Billy, Izzie, Andy, and Sean—each bursting with their own personality, strikingly different looks and talents, in sports, science, and the arts. Each drawn by their magical spark of connection that happens to the young. At the exclusive Atwood School, they become an inseparable group known to outsiders as the Big Five. In this rarefied world, five families grow closer, and five children thrive beside one another, unaware of the storms gathering around them.

As they turn from grade-schoolers to teenagers, seemingly perfect lives are buffeted by unraveling families, unfortunate missteps, and losses and victories great and small. And, one by one, they turn back to the Big Five to steady their course. But as they enter the college years and their lives diverge, the way forward is neither safe nor clear: the challenges and risks become greater, the losses sharper, and the right paths harder to choose.

Theirs is a heart wrenching, ultimately triumphant story that spans decades, weaves together a vivid cast of characters, and captures the challenges we face in life—sometimes, if we’re lucky, with a friend forever by our side.

What I Thought Of Friends Forever:

I needed a change from what I normally read and this book did provide a change. Friends Forever by Danielle Steel offered a look at what friendships are supposed to be like when they work well and how we can shore each other up just by being there to listen.

This story also offers some insight into how the children of this generation may be thinking: “I am worried about all of us. I think our generation is cursed. All you ever read about are kids our age who are shot and killed, die in car wrecks, or kill themselves, or do drive-by shootings and kill fifty people. What’s wrong with us? Why does this shit happen?” This is one of my favorite quotes from this novel. The other quote that spoke volumes to me about how this generation may be feeling goes like this: “Maybe my generation takes bigger risks…They think they’re immortal. All young people think that. Maybe the difference is that your generation acts on it, which is dangerous.”

The five main characters in Friends Forever are very likable even though some of them do have issues and problems they need to overcome. These difficulties served to make them seem more real. Their characters are very well written and when something bad does happen to any of them it is very emotional for the reader as well.

I did really enjoy this novel by Danielle Steel. My reason for choosing this paperback was that I needed a change from the normal crime, mystery, thriller books I am used to reading. Danielle Steel definitely delivered a different type of story from my norm with Friends Forever.

My Rating:

Friends Forever was a great read that offered insight into this generation along with some other life lessons. I enjoyed watching as these five main characters grew from kindergarteners to college age and beyond for some. As I stated at the beginning, it has been a great long while since I have read anything by Danielle Steel. Since reading this novel it occurs to me that I may have to start reading her books a bit more often—just for a change of pace. I would give this book a 5***** rating because it did definitely pull at my emotions at different times throughout this book.

carfor12 | Jan 10, 2014 |
I have never read a Danielle Steel book before and after this I am not sure if I will again.
I enjoyed this book at the beginning but found that it got progressively worse and more depressing. By the time I had finished the book I was feeling depressed.
This book is about 5 children that meet at kindergarten and grow up together as best friends 'the big five' the five are inseparable and always swear to be best friends forever. The book takes you through family problems, drugs, alcohol, suicide and death.
It was a good book but I just wouldn't choose to pick it up and read it again as like I said by the end I was feeling thoroughly depressed. It is one of those books that stay with you and you find it hard to shake off. ( )
  NatalieP86 | Aug 13, 2013 |
This book is dedicated to Nick Traina and Max Leavitt, bright shining stars, and the footprints they left on our hearts forever.

And to my precious children, Beatrix, Trevor, Todd, sam, Victoria, Vanessa, Maxx, and Zara. Please God, may you always be among the survivors. I love you so much!!!

Mommy/ds
The admissions process to get into the Artwood School had eaten up six months of the previous winter, and driven each of the families nearly to distraction with open houses, meet and greets, intense interviews with the parents, sometimes two of them, and the screening of each child.

Forging inseparable bonds in childhood that reinforce them throughout their teen years, two girls and three boys go their separate ways as adults and encounter respective tragedies and transformations.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,107,790 books! | Top bar: Always visible