Getting Caught by Cyn Balog

Getting Caught

by Cyn Balog

Reviewed at http://www.mandikayereads.com/archives/916

I was pleasantly surprised by this short little novel. It's not often that I read something outside of the paranormal/urban fantasy genres, but when I do I always say the same thing when it's well written: sometimes it's really nice just to read about someone else's life.

This book really explores the consequences of miscommunication and assumptions in a relationship. The writing was high quality and I quickly fell into the thought patterns of each of the girls as I read. The ending is not quite as predictable as one would expect, and it was a very quick read.

If you're into contemporary YA and/or need a nice break from your usual genres, I'd definitely suggest you give this one a try. ( )
  mandikaye | Feb 19, 2012 |
This book was really fun. I love a little harmless pranking! When I was in high school, my friends and I would play pranks on each other all of the time. It was always so much fun and often ended up being hilarious for everyone involved. Some of the pranking going on in this story reminded me of those days, although as the story moves along the girls start taking the pranks further and further. And they all learn a little bit about how far is too far.

Former best friends Peyton and Jess have been pranking each other since freshman year. It started out small, but over the years it has snowballed and they live to out do the other. The whole school is wise to the prank war, but the girls have never actually been caught. Considering they are the only two getting pranked on a regular basis, it was a little hard to the belive that the school administration hadn't caught on, but it didn't really matter because it was too much fun reading their back and forth. Both girls were pretty extreme stereotypes and it certainly affected the way their pranks played out. Jess was the loner, freak girl and was always a little more spontaneous with her prank style, while Peyton was uber meticulous and everything she did was carefully planned out in advance.

You know from the start that this war is eventually going to have to come to an end and it was a fun ride getting there. The girls had a lot to learn about friendship, communication and misunderstandings. The ending definitely has some closure and leaves you with a sense of hope. This is a quick, fun read and definitely worth picking up :0) ( )
  TheBookLife | Nov 30, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,590,535 books! | Top bar: Always visible