A Picture Book of Sojourner Truth (Picture…

A Picture Book of Sojourner Truth (Picture Book Biography)

by David A. Adler

Other authors: Gershom Griffith (Illustrator)

Series: Picture Book Biographies

The book speaks about the many struggles Sojouner Truth, formally known as Isabella, faced growing up as a slave. I think this was a great book with wonderful pictures depicting what the words were saying. I also think this is a great book to read to my future classroom especially if we are focusing on the times of slavery. There are so many great books about different people who spoke and acted out against slavery and I think it would be great if the students could research one person each, as well as present about them in front of the class. ( )
  cbuquet5 | Jan 20, 2016 |
My professor expressed some dislike of Adler’s work, and, after reading this picture book, I can see why. It is visually pleasant enough, but the writing is… bland, to say the least. The narrative structure is jerky, and the language is boring. While the story of Sojourner Truth is, certainly, important and inspiring, Adler’s dull writing manages to sap much of the enjoyment out of the story. I can’t, honestly, see holding the attention of a group of children with this book unless its recitation was accompanied by an interpretive dance. Even then, a few may doze off. It is a tragedy, really, because this book is not really “bad,” but I could not, in good conscience, recommend it to anyone for their classroom. ( )
  jrnewman | May 4, 2015 |
I would read this book during black history month and also the success of a woman in this time frame. Sojourner raised money for African Americans during the civil war to help feed them and she also helped cared for slaves who moved to the North. I would want my students to learn that they are able to accomplish anything no matter what hurdles stand in the way. ( )
  kdufrene | Apr 5, 2015 |
A biography of Sojourner from birth to death. This tells of her life and struggle being traded as a slave and discusses her work as a civil rights activists. I personally liked how this biography tells of the event in her life where she refused to sit in another spot on the streetcar. This reminded of the same situation Rosa Parks, several decades later. This would a for a great lesson on female social justice activist.

This would be a good book for a biography study for younger student, as it is an easy read. However, there is not a bibliography source, but there is an important dates page. ( )
  mcnicol_08 | Mar 1, 2015 |
I really liked how the author was able to turn a boring biography into an interesting chronological story. Even though this book explains the life events of Sojourner Truth, the author did it in a way that would attract young readers. He also succeeded at this by including illustrations on every page. I also enjoyed that readers can learn about slavery and the hardships that African-Americans faced during this time from this book. The central message is slavery.

Summary: The author describes the life events of Sojourner Truth. She was born in 1797 in Hurley, New York. She was the daughter of two slaves. She had many brothers and sisters. However, they were sold to slave traders. When she was nine years old, she was taken from her family and sold as a slave. Her new slave owner got Sojourner to marry another slave, named Thomas, in order to increase the number of slaves. Together, Sojourner and Thomas had five children. Her new slave owner agreed to free Sojourner in nine years because of a new freedom law that passed. However, when that time finally came, her owner refused to free her. She was furious. She decided that she needed to finish her work and run away. After she ran away to be free, she decided to sue her old slave owners. Sojourner became one of the first African-American women in the United States to win a law suit against a white man. She soon returned to New York to work as a servant. Even though she could not read or write, anti-slavery people helped her survive and communicate. ( )
  ahanch1 | Oct 28, 2014 |

David A. Adlerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Griffith, GershomIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

She became an abolitionist and crusader for African-American rights.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:31 -0400)

An introduction to the life of the woman born into slavery who became a well-known abolitionist and crusader for the rights of African Americans in the United States.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,017,246 books! | Top bar: Always visible