Lies my teacher told me : everything your…

Lies my teacher told me : everything your American history textbook got… (original 1995; edition 2007)

by James W. Loewen

Member:timwidowfield
Title:Lies my teacher told me : everything your American history textbook got wrong
Authors:James W. Loewen
Info:New York : Simon & Schuster, 2007.

Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong {revised & updated} by James W. Loewen (1995)

Recently added byprivate library, PhiloFox, Mikewlemme, Mapguy314, thacher, beckydj, HayleyHardwick, jkjacks

REQUIRED READING....particularly if you are student brighter than your high school history teacher and are bored in class. Should be read by educators as well ( )
  brangwinn | Sep 27, 2018 |
I liked this book very much, things one learns in the classroom are really intended for the young mind. I like this book as it opens the door to new ideas and facts that one day might be added to the books we find in the classroom. ( )
  mable1002000 | Aug 12, 2018 |
Amazing revelations about how American history is taught in U.S. high schools. I was instinctually and completely skeptical about the history I was learning in high school and now I know why. ( )
  aseikonia | Jan 15, 2018 |
Loewen painstakingly critiques American history textbooks (and it sounds like he's read them all, which - ugh - they sound awful) in fact and theme. He also fills in some of the missing bits, including facets of the contact between European settlers and Native Americans, chattel slavery, the aftermath of chattel slavery, and the post-WWII era. As the title indicates, he works up quite a righteous indignation over how American history is taught, and how in the best case, it robs students of interest in history, and in the worst case, it solidifies the dominant narrative of white America. You picked up a book with "lies" in the title, so you probably know it's likely to make you angry :)

Thankfully none of my American History teachers got history quite so wrong as what is described in this book. I remember only one textbook, which I mostly ignored, but by high school we were reading Edmund Morgan and other books written by actual historians. I always wondered why more people weren't interested in history, and now I know. ( )
  bexaplex | Jan 1, 2018 |
What an eye-opener. "Lies" hardly describes the massive conspiracy amongst high school history text book writers (all of 'em) to render a mythical America while leaving out EVERY negative aspect of our English/Spanish society.

I suppose it would hurt the sensibilities of young students and enrage their parents if they wrote about how John Winthrop and his followers in Massachusetts Bay Colony of the 17 century used Biblical passage to justify burning Wampanoag Native American women and children alive in their teepees.

Or how Columbus managed to completely wipe out the Native American tribe the Arawaks in just 25 years. Or, how President of the USA Woodrow Wilson reinstated strict segregation into the US government that led to lynchings throughout the South in the early twentieth century.

Now we wouldn't want our sensitive children to learn about that, would we? ( )
  dangnad | Nov 25, 2017 |
This LT Work is the completely revised and updated edition of James Loewen's book, Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong (2007). Please do not combine it with the original edition (1995). Thank you.

Americans have lost touch with their history, and in Lies My Teacher Told Me Professor James Loewen shows why. After surveying eighteen leading high school American history texts, he has concluded that not one does a decent job of making history interesting or memorable. Marred by an embarrassing combination of blind patriotism, mindless optimism, sheer misinformation, and outright lies, these books omit almost all the ambiguity, passion, conflict, and drama from our past.

In this revised edition, packed with updated material, Loewen explores how historical myths continue to be perpetuated in today's climate and adds an eye-opening chapter on the lies surrounding 9/11 and the Iraq War. From the truth about Columbus's historic voyages to an honest evaluation of our national leaders, Loewen revives our history, restoring the vitality and relevance it truly possesses.

Thought provoking, nonpartisan, and often shocking, Loewen unveils the real America in this iconoclastic classic beloved by high school teachers, history buffs, and enlightened citizens across the country.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:05 -0400)

Criticizes the way history is presented in current textbooks, and suggests a fresh and more accurate approach to teaching American history.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,919,655 books! | Top bar: Always visible