Red House by Mark Haddon

Red House (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Mark Haddon

Member:nowright
Title:Red House
Authors:Mark Haddon
Info:Jonathan Cape (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 272 pages

The Red House by Mark Haddon (2012)

The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling (Anonymous user)
    This is Just Exactly Like You by Drew Perry (JGoto)
    JGoto: About a dysfunctional family, but written with humor.
    All Families are Psychotic by Douglas Coupland (SimoneA)
    SimoneA: Both books tell the story of a family with issues, from their different viewpoints. 'All Families' does it with lots of black humor, 'The Red House' with an interesting approach to the viewpoints.
    Deutschland by Martin Wagner (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Both books have a tangle of reticent English family members misunderstanding each other while on holiday

English (73)  Dutch (1)  All languages (74)
An interesting read. A kind of multi perspective view of a family holiday with troubled secrets emerging. I felt for most of the characters and found it an engaging read. ( )
  Laurochka | Feb 6, 2016 |
I wish there was a star level between "I didn't like it" and "I liked it" which covered a feeling like, "meh. I finished it." That would describe this book. ( )
The Red House by Mark Haddon - Good

Ah, this was much better than "A Spot of Bother" but still not quite as good as "Curious Incident..".

Anyway... Angela and Richard's Mother has passed away. They have been living at opposite ends of the country - very different lives - and Richard decides to bring both families together for a week's holiday in the countryside.

Both families are dysfunctional. Each member has his or her own problems and neuroses and these play out as the week progresses. The author has a wonderful way of inhabiting the minds of children and bringing their characters out - much more so than with adults and their mid-life crises - so for me, Alex, Daisy, Melissa and, especially, Benji are the most insightful.

At the end of the week, they go their separate ways. Things have changed, but not necessarily resolved. As to what happens when they return to their real lives - who knows?

Lovely thoughtful book. ( )
  Cassandra2020 | Jan 24, 2016 |
Haddon’s tone is flawless, so compassionate and detailed and precise that this novel beguiles without cloying, illuminates without demystifying. All happy families may be alike, but oh, how wonderful to witness the myriad unhappiness of the others, conjured by a virtuoso wordsmith.

If you want truly great literature set in an English country house, you still can’t beat Wodehouse’s Blandings books for deep-core contentment and unbridled comic zip. “The Red House,” on the other hand, reads as if it were written to silence those critics who damn Haddon with the faint praise of being too “readable.” Mission accomplished.

To Clare, with thanks to Mary Gawne-Cain
Cooling towers and sewage farms.

An dazzlingly inventive novel about modern family, from the author of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time

The set-up of Mark Haddon's brilliant new novel is simple: Richard, a wealthy doctor, invites his estranged sister Angela and her family to join his for a week at a vacation home in the English countryside. Richard has just re-married and inherited a willful stepdaughter in the process; Angela has a feckless husband and three children who sometimes seem alien to her. The stage is set for seven days of resentment and guilt, a staple of family gatherings the world over.

But because of Haddon's extraordinary narrative technique, the stories of these eight people are anything but simple. Told through the alternating viewpoints of each character, The Red House becomes a symphony of long-held grudges, fading dreams and rising hopes, tightly-guarded secrets and illicit desires, all adding up to a portrait of contemporary family life that is bittersweet, comic, and deeply felt. As we come to know each character they become profoundly real to us. We understand them, even as we come to realize they will never fully understand each other, which is the tragicomedy of every family.

The Red House is a literary tour-de-force that illuminates the puzzle of family in a profoundly empathetic manner -- a novel sure to entrance the millions of readers of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:50 -0400)

Richard, a wealthy doctor, invites his estranged sister Angela and her family to join his for a week at a vacation home in the English countryside, which results in a symphony of long-held grudges, fading dreams, and rising hopes.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Red House by Mark Haddon was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,123,369 books! | Top bar: Always visible