Your Playlist Can Change Your Life: 10…

Your Playlist Can Change Your Life: 10 Proven Ways Your Favorite Music Can…

by Galina Mindlin

Basically skimmed it, and was not impressed. I did take a basic point away from it, which is to pay closer attention to what music affects me in what ways and when. But, on the whole, not a very scholarly work (no footnotes, etc.) and seems more like a puff piece about how to find "flow" by finding music with the right number of beats per minute for the situation. ( )
  saholc | Dec 23, 2013 |
I like the ideas behind this book, but felt like it lacked enough explaination to really capture my interest, and that it was somewhat repetitious. It has suggestions for playlists to create certain states of mind, but it was hard to tell exactly what the song suggestions had in common, aside from general themes. I was hoping for some more detail about what criteria might be used to select music for the playlists. ( )
  AngelaMBarry | May 13, 2013 |
Read this and took notes in around an hour and a half at the library today. A lot of things resonated with my experience as a musician and a person who has always loved music, but it was interesting to see that there is science behind your favorite music affecting you. Looking forward to making my own playlists and exploring music purposely in the near future. ( )
  sriemann | Mar 30, 2013 |
Your Playlist Can Change Your Life is a self-help book co-authored by Galina Mindlin (MD, PhD), Don DuRousseau (MBA), and Joseph Cardillo (PhD). The authors – experts in psychiatry, neuroscience, and psychology – explain how music can boost and even trigger various mental states, from highly focused to calm and relaxed, and how you can train your brain to change moods with the help of music.
The authors guide their readers step by step in self discovery. They explain how to recognize harmful mental states, pinpoint a desired mood or goal, and create helpful playlists to reach those goals. Each chapter contains an introduction to a concept plus accompanying techniques and example playlists. They also include plentiful anecdotes. At the end of each chapter there are exercises and detailed instructions on how to build a playlist embodying the chapter’s topic.
The focus of the book is on practical results, not theory, so it’s not surprising that it reads fluently, free of scientific jargon. A glossary covers key terms; there is also an index. Ideas are repeated and subsequent chapters build on preceding ones. Both these techniques help reinforce the message, especially if some time has lapsed between reading sessions. Anecdotes, other people’s experiences, and examples make it very easy for readers to imagine using the concepts and exercises themselves.
Unfortunately, the book also comes with deficiencies. The focus on practical effects means that there isn’t much space for the science behind the concepts. In the introduction, the authors repeatedly call their effort scientific: “scientifically proven, step-by-step methods”; “scientifically proven, self-regulatory program”; “scientifically proven ways”. Nevertheless, all the references to scientific studies and literature remain just that – references. It’s rare to find the year, researcher, or institution mentioned. A further reading list is not included, let alone a full bibliography. Music undoubtedly influences us in ways we are not yet fully aware. But to frame as straightforward a cause-effect relationship as the authors (or perhaps their editors?) have done, especially without backing it up with data, is misleading, not scientific.
Recommended with caution. (Your mileage may, of course, vary.)
EJ 04/2012
  PeskyLibrary | May 1, 2012 |
I am very sorry to say this but I found this book very hard going so began to lose interest after the first few pages. However, the authors are definately on the right track with their subject. I think this one is down to me and not the book. Don't we all instinctly know that music affects our mood and concentration? This obviously needs to be read by someone who appreciates the deeper aspects of the study. ( )
  Heptonj | Jan 3, 2012 |

Teaching readers how to customize playlists for a feel-good prescription that has no side effects, Your Playlist Can Change Your Life offers a natural way to a better you simply by listening.

Sourcebooks

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,937,994 books! | Top bar: Always visible