One Voice Raised: A Triumph Over Rape by…

One Voice Raised: A Triumph Over Rape

by Jennifer A Wheatley-Wolf

621,268,033 (4.5)None

There are so many things in this world, important things, that nobody likes to talk about. It is uncomfortable, awkward, an unpleasant experience by any count. Does that mean that we shouldn’t talk about them? Do we really think that silence is capable of erasing truth? No. And no. Einstein once said that insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Isn’t that exactly the case with rape? Haven’t men been violating women since the dawn of time? Haven’t the victims been shamed into silence, made to feel like they “asked for it” with their behavior or style of dress? One in four women report rape or other sexual offenses because they are afraid of what other people will think of them, of the retribution that defense lawyers, the general public, their friends and family, even strangers, will direct at them. This isn’t right. It’s time to turn the tables. It’s time for women to stand up and say “There is no excuse for what you did to me. You had no right. I have every right to demand justice.” Jennifer Wheatley-Wolf stood up and demanded that right.

In the early morning of August 21, 1988, an unidentified man attacked Jennifer Wheatley in what she thought of as the “safety” of her own home. He wrapped something around her throat, forced back her head, and shoved a gag into her mouth, dislocating her jaw in the process. Finally releasing his hold on her neck, he proceeded to rape her, never once allowing him to see her face. He left very few clues to his identity, which made it seem as though he had done it before. But he left his DNA inside her, and two fingerprints on a candle by her bed. In 1988, technology wasn’t advanced enough for these two vital pieces of evidence to be of much help. She had never seen her assailant’s face. The detective in charge mishandled the evidence, causing much of it to be lost, and 20 years later, couldn’t even recall the case. With every good reason to believe that her attacker would never be caught, Jennifer could have given up. She didn’t. Neither did the man who picked up her case, Chief Investigator David H. Cordle, Sr. Together, with the goal of both bringing her rapist to justice as well as preventing him from hurting other women, they worked tirelessly to bring his identity into light and make him pay for what he did. It took 20 years, many false starts and disappointed hopes, but William Joseph Trice was finally found, brought in front of a jury and convicted guilty of 1st and 2nd Degree Rape, 1st and 2nd Degree Sexual Offense, and Burglary.

Although bringing Trice to justice was victory enough, Jennifer Wheatley went even further. She wrote a book, hoping that other women would read it, maybe even other women who had been victims of sexual assault, and understand that they were powerful. The book is written in the style of a testimonial, with occasional, more official, chapters written by the Chief Investigator, David Cordle. She talks about her experiences, the assault, and her recovery and reclamation of self, with a candor and honesty that is striking and powerful. In the case of most books, from a literature major’s perspective at least, we look at the prose, the diction, the syntax. We get caught up in the style and the characters, the conflict, the climax. But sometimes, all that stuff isn’t what matters. This is one of those times. What’s important here is the message. In a world where the criminals often walk free and the victims never find their voice, this book is a beacon of hope.

The most moving part of the book to me are the last two chapters, in which Jennifer gives her thoughts on how the world views rape, and then in her Victim’s Impact Statement. She speaks about the importance of giving rape victims their voices back after their assailants essentially stripped them of their identities as they knew them. “By giving her a voice, we also give her power. The very act of empowering a person who has suffered a sexual assault removes the social isolation felt by this person” (506). That’s what rape is all about: Power. Who has it. In this crime, the rapist gets part of his pleasure from stripping the victim of her power, of asserting his power over her to make her submit to him. By reporting the crime, by seeing the investigation through to the conviction, and by speaking out, the victim regains the power stolen from her. That is what Jennifer Wheatley achieved in writing this book.

Lastly, on the day when Trice was supposed to be given his sentence, Jennifer would have had the opportunity to read him her Victim’s Impact Statement, and therefore take the last step in the reclamation of her self. Unfortunately, William Joseph Trice committed suicide after his conviction, after having spent only six days in prison. However, she did get the chance to give her statement to the world by including it as one of the last chapters of her book. I just want to include some of her most moving statements as a close to this entry.

“I made the decision–in spite of what you did to me–and because of you–because of what you did to me–to focus on things in life that brought light to the dark and frightening memories. My obsession with painting, quilting, and photography is my way of keeping my life in the light, despite the fact that you made me afraid of the dark” (511).

And finally, I see this last quote as the most important lesson of the book. As a victim of rape, it’s hard to remember that the crime isn’t who you are, it’s who the rapist is. It doesn’t define you. It changes you, but it doesn’t define you.

I am an Artist.

That is my legacy.

You are a rapist. That is how the world will remember you.

I just want to congratulate Jennifer on the strength and perseverance of will that she displayed in writing this book, of sharing her pain with the world, of putting the shame of this crime where it belongs. I am proud that you are a part of my family, though I was born the year this happened to you, and we’ve never met, that I remember. You are the kind of woman that women should aspire to be. Thank you for sharing your strength.

For more book reviews (err... book musings?) visit my blog For Love and Allegory at http://www.forloveandallegory.wordpress.com/ ( )
  stixnstones004 | Jun 21, 2013 |
This is a story that needed to be written. Now it needs to be read. Over and over. And it needs to be written not just by Jennifer Wheatley-Wolf but also by others as well. Rape is something that we need to bring out of the dark closet of shame and into the bright light of daylight and justice. Making the word “disappear” from the media does not make it go away. I hope that many people read this excellent book detailing Jennifer’s 20-year journey from victim to victor. And I hope that many, many women read this and gain the courage to come out when they are victims of rape. They are not the ones who should be shamed and silenced, it is the perpetrators that need to be shamed and stopped.

As the author says early in the book:
“I am writing this story for all rape victims in the hope that the importance of reporting the crime is made clear. I hope those who have a similar story, but have lost faith, will once again believe that good does eventually triumph over evil and not give up hope. This book is for those who have lost the ability to believe in themselves and the kindness of others, who doubt they are strong enough to re-assemble their lives after a horrible encounter, and for those who have forgotten it’s okay to stumble, forgive yourself, and get back to living.”

The author takes you every step of the way from shortly before the crime, through the long years of terror, healing, wondering and waiting, and finally through the trial. She does a great job of supplementing the transcribed court records with her thoughts at the time of the testimony, proceedings, and deliberations. This brings us fresh and welcome insight into how it feels to be a woman on the stand as a victim of rape. Her thoughts while being cross-examined by the defense highlight why many women choose not to testify or even come forward in rape cases.

Do yourself and everyone a favor. Buy this book, read it, pass it on, and start talking openly about rape. Let’s take the power away from the perpetrators and let the healing begin for the victims. ( )
1 vote jveezer | Dec 14, 2011 |

Since publication in 2011, 2 more cold-case rapes have been linked through DNA to serial rapist, William Joseph Trice.
*May 31, 1987 in Montgomery County, Maryland.
*August, 1988 in Silver Springs, Maryland"It brings peace of mind to Trice's victims to know their attacker has been caught and convicted.
The importance of entering cold-case evidence into the national data-base can not be stressed enough."

"Look at me and I'll kill you!"
Early in the morning of August 21, 1988, an unknown assailant climbed onto the balcony to the open door of Jennifer Wheatley's home, crept down the stairs, entered her first floor bedroom, and waited for her in the dark. As he grabbed her and pulled something tight around her throat, Jennifer was sure her life was over.

Twenty years after the attack, a suspect was found.

Jennifer writes about her ordeal and the years of waiting for justice with the candor and fortitude that helped her survive, and Chief Investigator David Cordle illuminates the process of assembling the puzzle pieces that led to the prosecution of one of his longest open cases.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:45 -0400)

Jennifer A Wheatley-Wolf is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,870,221 books! | Top bar: Always visible