The Moonlit Mind by Dean Koontz

The Moonlit Mind

by Dean Koontz

English (9)  Italian (1)  All (10)
Twelve year old Crispin and his dog Harley have lived on the streets since he was nine. His dreams are strangely haunted and composed of memories that are best forgotten. The city he roams has dark and mysterious secrets. Very good but very short story. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
I used to love short ghost stories and have many Dutch books filled with short stories by famous authors somwehere lying covered with years of dust. While reading this novella I was reminded why I used to like them. It was short, scary and sweet and I wanted more but even that wish is fulfilled because at the end there were the first 3 chapters of his new book which seems to be entwined with this little book. Can't wait! ( )
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
Great short work for fans of Koontz, actually not a book of its own, just a novella as a prelude to a new book.
Koontz did a good job describing the 9-12 year old protagonist (the story jumps back and forth between events which happened when Crispin was 9 years old and the present situation - Crispins 13th birthday). I did not like the dog - this element (even the fact that Harley is a golden retriever) has already been beaten to death. On the other hand, the novella contained some unique elements (cat avatars in the model of the house come to mind). A solid three of five, almost a four.
I can hardly wait to read the new book - and maybe reread some older Koontz novels in between. ( )
  Ellemir | Feb 1, 2016 |
As an introduction to Koontz's novel 77 Shadow Street it certainly catches my interest. The characters are well developed. While the subject is an old one the way it is approached here is new. Combining fantasy, the supernatural, and suspense the story leaps between past and present fairly neatly. Although I have some reservations about the way Koontz represents the behavior of the children all in all it's a good tale worth reading, especially if you plan to continue to the full length novel. I do plan to read on. ( )
  NewLiz | May 26, 2015 |
True Koontz
I thoroughly enjoyed this short story. I really liked the character of Crispin and Harley. True heroes were braving the dangers, in a bizarre world that only Koontz can paint. I only wish there had been more story and depth to the actual sacrifice rituals. Being a short story, it was focused mainly on the characters, as it should be. Enjoyable read. ( )
  ElisabethZguta | Nov 7, 2013 |
Crispin lives wild in the city, a feral boy of twelve, and he has no friend but Harley, though Harley never speaks.
Prequel to "77 Shadow Street". (E-Book exclusive)

Twelve-year-old Crispin has lived on the streets since he was nine—with only his wits and his daring to sustain him, and only his silent dog, Harley, to call his friend. He is always on the move, never lingering in any one place long enough to risk being discovered. Still, there are certain places he returns to. In the midst of the tumultuous city, they are havens of solitude: like the hushed environs of St. Mary Salome Cemetery, a place where Crispin can feel at peace—safe, at least for a while, from the fearsome memories that plague him . . . and seep into his darkest nightmares. But not only his dreams are haunted. The city he roams with Harley has secrets and mysteries, things unexplainable and maybe unimaginable. Crispin has seen ghosts in the dead of night, and sensed dimensions beyond reason in broad daylight. Hints of things disturbing and strange nibble at the edges of his existence, even as dangers wholly natural and earthbound cast their shadows across his path. Alone, drifting, and scavenging to survive is no life for a boy. But the life Crispin has left behind, and is still running scared from, is an unspeakable alternative . . . that may yet catch up with him.

Twelve-year-old Crispin has lived on the streets since he was nine, with only his wits and his daring to sustain him, and only his silent dog, Harley, to call his friend. The city he roams has things unexplainable and maybe unimaginable; Crispin has seen ghosts in the dead of night, and sensed dimensions beyond reason in broad daylight. Hints of things disturbing and strange nibble at the edges of his existence.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,091,522 books! | Top bar: Always visible