Bleeding Out by Jes Battis

Bleeding Out (2012)

by Jes Battis

Series: OSI (5)

I knew something weird was going on when, unlike the other four books in the series, this one was written in the present tense.

There's some vague semblance of a plot, and some loose ends do get tied up, but most of this book just winds up being a bad trip. I mean that; most of the book reads like the narrator is on psychoactive drugs.

I suppose this is something of a necessary read if you've read the other books, but all things considered, I wish I'd skipped this series altogether. ( )
  RevBobMIB | Oct 21, 2015 |
Of the five books in the series, this was my least favourite. While I enjoyed the series overall, I was glad rather than sad to see the end. For me, Bleeding Out suffers from two major problems that occur in the previous books, but are exaggerated in this final one.

#1 - The bizarre internal world of the main character, Tess. Whether it's her thoughts/dreams/memories, a little bit goes a long way. In this last book, I actually found myself flipping through several pages to escape her mental ramblings.

#2 - Plot that is based on coincidences and "gut feelings" rather than logic. Some authors are skillful at surprising you with plot twists, but you can still see the logic with hindsight. This is not the case in the OSI series and even more so in this last book. The answers to everything seem to be locked in Tess' head, only to be revealed at the last moment.

Still, I would probably recommend the series - especially the first book - with warnings. ( )
  karyanca | Jan 13, 2013 |

While trying to find out the truth about her demonic heritage, Tess Corday, an agent with the Occult Special Investigations squad, finds herself at odds with her undead boyfriend during an unauthorized investigation into an addictive new street drug that results in a paranormal showdown.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,326,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible