Heft by Liz Moore

Heft (2012)

by Liz Moore

5195219,506 (4.05)22

I am now a big fan of Liz Moore. Such a heartwarming, depressing, triumphant story (not necessarily in that order). ( )
  CarynPic | Nov 14, 2017 |
Told from two points of view. One a super-obese man who hasn't left his house in years. The other a teenage boy dealing with a alcoholic mother. The mother and the obese man have a connection - but it's not what you think it might be. I didn't really connect well with this one, never really developed an empathy for the characters and I was only mildly interested in the story line, which involves the mother getting in touch with the man after years of silence, the man learning about the teenager, the mother becomes ill, and then the question is will the man and the teenage boy get in touch with each other and what secrets about the past will be revealed. I could guess at a lot of what was going to happen and I didn't find it very compelling. ( )
  debs4jc | Sep 29, 2017 |
A well-told story with quirky characters I came to care about. The book could easily have fallen into a tale full of clichés, stereotypes, and predictable endings but this book does none of that. Highly recommended!

One caveat: in the audio book Arthur's narrator was perfect but Kel's narrator spoke so slow and deliberate it drove me nuts. I increased the speed 1.5x just to make him sound normal. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
Arthur Opp weighs about 500 lbs., and he hasn't been out of his house in Brooklyn in ten years. He was a professor, but no longer works, supporting himself through money from a father he never sees, and ordering everything and having it delivered to his door. His only real friendship, since his friend Marty died, is sporadic correspondence with an ex-student of his, Charlene Turner. This is a gentle, very moving story and I loved every word of it. As we get into the story, we learn that Charlene has a son who is about to graduate high school and she wants her friend, Arthur to help by talking to him about colleges. Kel, her son, is only interested in baseball. It's hard to do this story justice, but I absolutely loved it. It was recommended by Katie Krug and it was as good as she said. Highly recommended! ( )
  Dianekeenoy | Sep 18, 2016 |
If you like beautifully drawn character studies and tales of loneliness and alienation, then may I recommend Heft? Liz Moore gives us two unique characters, an overweight shut-in in his 50s and a promising young baseball player of 18. What connects them is a woman - Charlene - a character who doesn't get her own narrative in the book but who is as equally well drawn as the two narrators who tell her story. Books set mainly inside characters' heads often give in to the ease of "telling and not showing." But Moore resists that temptation and her novel is all the stronger for it. This is a hard book to describe, really, but it is one that will stay with me. The portrait of grief about two thirds of the way in is so well done and immediate that I was transported back 17 years to the death of my mother and felt again those same emotions of impermanence, un-mooring, and deep pain. Not an easy read but definitely a worthwhile one. ( )
6 vote katiekrug | Aug 30, 2016 |
The writing is quirky, sometimes to a fault, yet original . . . Moore’s second novel wears its few kinks well
added by nsblumenfeld | editPublishers Weekly (Nov 14, 2011)

Only a hardhearted reader will remain immune to Kel’s troubled charm.
added by nsblumenfeld | editKirkus Reviews (Nov 3, 2011)

Moore's lovely novel (after The Words of Every Song) is about overcoming shame and loneliness and learning to connect. It is life-affirming but never sappy.
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Lauren Gilbert (Oct 15, 2011)

Liz Mooreprimary authorall editionscalculated
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Szarabajka, KeithNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother, Christine
The first thing you must know about me is that I am colossally fat.

A heartwarming novel about larger-than-life characters and second chances.

Former academic Arthur Opp weighs 550 pounds and hasn't left his rambling Brooklyn home in a decade. Twenty miles away, in Yonkers, seventeen-year-old Kel Keller navigates life as the poor kid in a rich school and pins his hopes on what seems like a promising baseball career—if he can untangle himself from his family drama. The link between this unlikely pair is Kel’s mother, Charlene, a former student of Arthur’s. After nearly two decades of silence, it is Charlene’s unexpected phone call to Arthur—a plea for help—that jostles them into action. Through Arthur and Kel’s own quirky and lovable voices, Heft tells the winning story of two improbable heroes whose sudden connection transforms both their lives. Like Elizabeth McCracken’s The Giant’s House, Heft is a novel about love and family found in the most unexpected places.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:23 -0400)

Arthur weighs 550 pounds and hasn't left his rambling Brooklyn home in a decade. Kel navigates life as a poor kid in a rich school, and pins his hopes on what seems like a promising baseball career. An unexpected connection transforms both their lives as they find sustenance and friendship in the most surprising places.… (more)

Liz Moore is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,391,926 books! | Top bar: Always visible